Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jtg View Post
    Oh, but they CAN go back.

Humans have starships, and it's already been established that the Library planet is probably one of the nearest to Earth, so the only reason nobody has gone back is that nobody has written a script to do so.

The stargate may have fell into the ocean, but for technology able to travel across the stars, mounting a salvage operation to get i tup and remount it a wee bit further from the cliffside would be almost trivial.

The Library machine itself is likely still in good shape beause it was interior and in the most solid part of the building, so unless the whole cliffside fel down, it's still there. Even if it fell to, it's likely that being ancient technology, it's still intact, or at least reparable, or worst case, it's dead memory can be uploaded to another storage for examination.

jtg
    Oh yes, I see it that way, they can easily go back, NOW, not when season 1 happened. That's what I meant when I said they couldn't go back. If there were to go back now, I said they don't do it, because they don't want to waste the time to do it, maybe because they don't even remember about that planet, they think that the everything (not only the Stargate) went to the ocean, or because maybe they have a lot of the information that they may have discover on that library.
    In my opinion once they were able of traveling, they should have gone back, who knows, maybe the information there could have found changed everything about how to fight not only agaist the Goa'uld, but also the Replicators and the Ori. Maybe even found the Furlings
    sigpic
    Knowledge is power, but how do you use that power defines whether you are good or evil

Comment

its a true pity we never heard if they DID go back..

Comment

I mean really what is the purpose of going back. Well at least now, It could of been very valuable in any season, but once the series ending in unending, They have all The knowledge of the Asgaurd. I'm sure that the asgaurd gave them what ever is in the library, for when they used to meet there the ancients were still around, so its been how long now.

But this was a good episode to try and bring the movie and show together as one.

Comment

Deeemn, i have watched all the episodes of the all the seasons so many times but i only just noticed that Paul McGillion(Beckett from Atlantis) plays Ernest
          Also again a brilliant example of Teal'c's facial expressions. (When naked Ernest hugs him)
          The very first time i saw this (A LONG LONG time ago) this episodes was very important, because it clearly stated that they will meet new intelligent alien races and it moved the story along(and the mythology)
          Last edited by Zaany; 07 August 2011, 01:45 PM.
          RIP Don S. Davis 1942-2008

Comment

Originally posted by WraithCommander View Post
            I think it's a great episode, love the flashback scenes. The 4 races element really opened up the rest of the Stargate future in my opinion. It paved the way for all story lines to come.
            Agree. I liked the flashbacks and the storyline. Poor Ernest. I couldn't imagine being stuck somewhere alone for 50 years.

Comment

This is my favorite ep of SG period loved it from beginning to end just awesome
              sigpic
              My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
              poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

I've always felt it was a pity they never re-visited the planet in a later season, via spaceship. The repository could have been a great plot device, allowing the writers to send the story ANYwhere. (Furlings, anyone?)

Comment

Great episode, intro to something bigger
                  Daniel was at it again. I know he was extremely excited but well think Daniel, think. You are stranded in the planet and that knowledge would be wasted if they did not manage to get out of there
                  I agree with Brother Freyr, they should have dispatched a ship to that planet to see if the castle is still there. Though they made some photos and videos of the writings, so it wasn't such a loss.
                  And Furlings - yes that is the biggest disappointment of the series for me.
                  sigpic

Comment

And poor Shanks who, suffering from a cold, was throaty and stuffed up, but still managed a magnificent and delicate performance. All the jumping around, wide-eyed wonder, physical mannerisms that make him Daniel were on display. Was this the first ep where they saw actually dialing of the gate manually? Or the inside of the DHD?

I always enjoy the slice of life outside the SGC opportunities and that's what we got with Daniel's visit to Dr. Langford's home. Bringing her history in to coincide with the 'gate itself was part of why the ep remains at the heart of Stargate lore. And SO many wonderful quotes!
                    That's another long story, but a good one!
                    Great. Shoot it!...Now what?
                    Meaning of life stuff.
                    Using Daniel to bring to life the Torment of Tantalus story was genius. Him being so alone all his life may not have seen sharing the knowledge with another as so important until Ernest explained how it felt and Jack passionately displayed how leaving Daniel behind would be unacceptable. Amazing story well played by all.

Comment

I remember watching this for the first time and thinking it was kind of cool when they described the four races meeting in a sort of UN fashion, but what sold me was when Daniel recognized one of the four writings as Thor's language. For me, that was when I became convinced that there was some sort of plan for the show being executed. Great, great episode!

I also loved the old footage of sending someone going through the gate looking like a deep sea diver.

Comment

First of all, I loved seeing Elizabeth Hoffman in this episode. I wish they would have had her back a few more times. I first saw her on the old tv series, Sisters, with Sela Ward, Swoozie Kurtz & Patricia Kalember.

As for the ep itself, I liked Sam & Catherine's greeting each other as old friends. That's why it puzzles me a bit in one of the later episodes (forget which one) when Daniel gets the call that Catherine died. Sam should have looked devastated as well, I would have thought.

Anyway... the thing that sticks out foremost in my mind when thinking about this episode is Sam's reaction upon first seeing Ernest standing in the doorway naked, and then her quickly getting out of the way of a possible hug with said naked man. That cracks me up every time!

I'm also quite surprised that Sam didn't become at least a little bit geeky over the whole "meeting chamber" where the molecules were shown in the hologram thingy (so technical, I know!) Being a scientist, you'd think Sam would have been intrigued like Daniel was. Then again, her focus was mainly on getting the gate to open again.

I loved how through the years, Ernest used Catherine as a reference/companion in all of his notes as if she were there and interacting with him. That was quite a believable scenario.

The thing that annoys me a bit - and thankfully they do tone it down as the series goes on - is Daniel's blatant disregard for his own life & well-being in order to study the new technology. In this case, his insistence to stay longer not only jeopardized his life, but Jack's as well. Daniel knew Jack well enough by then to know Jack's motto of "leave no man behind" and that Jack wouldn't leave until Daniel was with him.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KayLyne View Post
                          <...>

The thing that annoys me a bit - and thankfully they do tone it down as the series goes on - is Daniel's blatant disregard for his own life & well-being in order to study the new technology. In this case, his insistence to stay longer not only jeopardized his life, but Jack's as well. Daniel knew Jack well enough by then to know Jack's motto of "leave no man behind" and that Jack wouldn't leave until Daniel was with him.
                          I remember when I 1st was watching the series years ago, that thing annoyed me the most as well(not mentioning the politics).
                          sigpic

Comment

Yea, I agree. I'm glad when they toned that part of Jackson down. Granted when I re-watched this episode I was doing other things. But what politics were in this episode?

Comment

I totally forgot about Ernest being naked the first time they see him and Sam's expression as he was about to hug her was hilarious! What bugged me about this episode was Sam kepted on say dial home device I can't wait until they just say DHD. I kind of understand Daniel's point of view in this episode, but I don't think that the information would have been worth his life. Like what Ernest said whats the point of knowing the answers when you can't share them with anyone!
                              My favorite TV shows

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SG3Marine View Post
                                Yea, I agree. I'm glad when they toned that part of Jackson down. Granted when I re-watched this episode I was doing other things. But what politics were in this episode?
                                Sorry, I meant politics of the series This episode did not have that. Just Daniel
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X