No announcement yet.

The Torment of Tantalus (110)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also one of my favorites, I think the writers did very well in packing background detail. Ernest served as a decent plot device, but he wasn't my attraction or momento, the library was.
    In case some haven't seen it yet I'll wrap the rest in spoilers...
    Spoiler:
    At the same time though, a lot of that detail went to waste, since they never used much of it elsewhere. I always wanted more of that library, & offer that revisiting stuff like this would dwarf the tok'ra-centric silliness to come. Even if as some mentioned, the Asgard had this info, it wasn't touched upon later. This ep allowed us to stand in awe along with Daniel. I miss it, & always see it as what could've been. The stories became more revolved around one-offs the next few seasons.
    I totally loved the methods used to power the gate, as well as the initial presentation of the possibility to dial locations with destroyed DHDs. A good example of Carter using her knowledge to solve a deadly problem outside of the box, instead of what the critics claim became heavy magic wand usage.

Comment

Getting a new friend into SG1 and we just watched this episode today, first time I had watched it in quite a while. Had a little "hmm" moment (now that I know all that's gone on in the rest of the seasons) when they were reading the journal and Ernest was talking about Catherine being there... I wonder was he really just hallucinating, or could his imaginary Catherine have actually been an Ancient appearing to him?

Comment

i really liked this ep.
        sigpic

Comment

This is one of my favourite episodes, but I laugh every time I watch it. Not because of the other parts mentioned in this thread, but because Jackson says "The number of electrons determining the element." You'd think they'd proof those things out?

Comment

Just watched this episode tonight for the first time. Was surprised to see Paul McGillion as a guest star. Is this where the SG crew discovered him for later?

Comment

This is one of my favorite season one eppies....it is sad but at least it has a happy ending.
              sigpic

Comment

This is a very good episode of season one or even the whole series. As it has been said numerous times in this thread already, it would have been nice if they revisited this story later in the series either when
                Spoiler:
                when they met the Asgard or they built/acquired ships capable of Hyperspace.
                but either way, me personally, am happy with the story and they way they concluded it.

Comment

Great story! Just too bad they couldn't go back to the planet anymore. I did feel that it was a bit contrived that Ernest was rescued at the last possible moment before the storm buried the gate.
                  sigpic

Comment

One thing I always have to say when I watch this.....

PAUL..... MC......GILLION !

Comment

agreed

our fantastic, awe-provoking intro to the 4 GR

Jack deserves much too credit for thinking of lightning to power the gate

Edit :

yup in a show that otherwise tries to be as scientifcally accurate as possible
                      Last edited by Bagpuss; 18 March 2010, 02:50 AM. Reason: The post quotes replied to are missing.
                      If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                      [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

And outstanding, fantastic episode. I always expected to see Terrans return to that planet sometime later, to recover all possible data from that place. Also I was very surprised to learn that young Ernest was played by Paul McGillion. Ah, Ernest... He risked everything, his life, his beloved to enter the StarGate just for the sake of curiosity and science... What a drama...

EDIT: 10/10 One of the best SG-1 episodes, I can rewatch and rewatch it.
                        Last edited by Vagabond Serpent; 05 April 2010, 04:11 AM.
                        Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

Always wondered why the stuff Daniel saw and recorded never showed up again. And of course the fact that the place didn't make it through their visit was a bit overdramatic
                          no means no, and so does pepper spray
                          Sig by The Carpenter
                          sigpic

Comment

Just saw this again the other day. Always nice to see Carson Beckett
                            sigpic

Comment

Very cool episode. The originality of it was awesome. The reactions of the team when Ernest comes out naked was hilarious lol

Comment

This was one of the best episodes of Stargate.

The scenes from 1945 were especially enjoyable. I liked seeing the story from 1928 continued.

Comment

Working...
                                X