No announcement yet.

The Torment of Tantalus (110)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found myself imagining how Ernest was spending 50 years on this planet (when he wasn't fantasizing about Catherine ). Where did he find fresh food and water? He offered food to Daniel, so I suppose he found a local food source.

Comment

Looking at that food, it was almost bug like.. i know military are trained in how to catch food/eat grubs if needed..

But what i would like to know, is what else was on that planet..

Comment

There's a certain new poignancy for me when watching "The Torment of Tantalus" because this is the episode that really establishes the mythology of the entire series of SG-1 and Atlantis. After learning so much about the the four races, ascension and the Ancients and how everything came to be, it is so chilling to go back and watch how SG-1 discovered the first evidence of the Ancients when we see their language on the wall in Heliopolis. This was exploration at its finest on the show.

It's quite... tantalizing.
        This time... it's war!

Comment

This was my favorite episode of Season One. Just great.

10/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2...-tantalus.html
          My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
          http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RobertF View Post
            I found myself imagining how Ernest was spending 50 years on this planet (when he wasn't fantasizing about Catherine ). Where did he find fresh food and water? He offered food to Daniel, so I suppose he found a local food source.
            Well Heliopolis or PB2-908 is seen a couple times from an aerial view of the castle. If you look you can see plant life and as we have seen, most of the planets have ecosystems very similar to that of earth. Where there are tree's there are birds, mammals, fish, and a number of other species. Set aside fruits and vegetables. Hunting and fishing could be learned by anybody starving enough, but Ernest was not only starving he was a scientist. From what I saw he was a rather brilliant scientist, so I don't believe he would have a hard time rigging up some traps. That kind of a natural diet would probably keep him very healthy which would explain the long life.

However, if it was me I don't know how long I could have been around before I jumped right of that cliff.
            sigpic

Comment

I really liked this ep.

I cannot imagine how Ernest survived ALONE in a strange planet for 50 years!!! It's lucky that he is still sane when SG1 found him.

I hope Daniel has learned a lesson here about what is more important. His obsession bothered me so much that I was hoping Jack would just hit him over the head to make Daniel see reason.

I don't recall Jack and Langford being that friendly in the movie. I will just assume that theu became closer when he returned from Abydos. But is nice to see that Jack has softened up.

Samantha Carter, the fix-it girl. I like this too. Further establishing how essential Carter is to the team.

The alien technology is very fascinating. A glimpse of what is to come in future episodes, which I've only read about but haven't seen yet so don't spoil it for me too much.

Comment

Originally posted by L E E View Post
                I really liked this ep.

I cannot imagine how Ernest survived ALONE in a strange planet for 50 years!!! It's lucky that he is still sane when SG1 found him.

I hope Daniel has learned a lesson here about what is more important. His obsession bothered me so much that I was hoping Jack would just hit him over the head to make Daniel see reason.

I don't recall Jack and Langford being that friendly in the movie. I will just assume that theu became closer when he returned from Abydos. But is nice to see that Jack has softened up.

Samantha Carter, the fix-it girl. I like this too. Further establishing how essential Carter is to the team.

The alien technology is very fascinating. A glimpse of what is to come in future episodes, which I've only read about but haven't seen yet so don't spoil it for me too much.
                Well like I said he was a rather brilliant scientist, as for the remaining sane part... I don't think he was in any way sane, however the will to survive should never be underestimated.
                sigpic

Comment

Just seen this episode again, still great.

Though i'm still wondering why the Stargate didn't connect afterwards. Stargates are pretty robust things, surviving meteorite strikes and still being able to function, having specially designed nukes to destroy them, surely a bit of castle rubble wouldn't have destroyed it?

Comment

Originally posted by robthebarman View Post
                    Just seen this episode again, still great.

Though i'm still wondering why the Stargate didn't connect afterwards. Stargates are pretty robust things, surviving meteorite strikes and still being able to function, having specially designed nukes to destroy them, surely a bit of castle rubble wouldn't have destroyed it?
                    I think it has something to do with the flushing thing not having room to ... flush. Hammond said something about it when the talked about the iris a couple episodes back.

What amazes me is this guy, Ernest, is alone for 50 years.
                    50 years!!
                    And he's sane.

Wow.

Comment

He'd had an imaginary friend in Catherine.
                      Last edited by jenks; 22 July 2008, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Another great episode that I remembered as being not so great but like someone else said it just adds to the mythology and history of the Stargate.

Interesting how they never tired to send anyone after Ernest to see what happened, I guess because he never came back they figured it wasn't worth it or he was dead.

It's nice to see Catherine, I know the SGC and the Stargate program are now military run but as one of the pioneer of almost everything we currently know about the Gate you think she would of at least been brought on the team as a consultant or something.

Daniel was right in his element in this episode, I always love watching him when he gets amazed and fascinated by finding out new things while the others are left perplexed. Although I couldn't believe he would of stayed I mean he must of forgot about saving his wife after the brilliant discovery.

Pretty amazing though that the periodic table is a universal language of the 4 great races. I should of paid more attention in Science.

Stargate SG-1 Re-Watch: Season 1, 2, 3

Comment

Thankyou Brad for not showing Ernest nakkie below the waist Hahaha!! It wasn't an ep that had me on the edge of my seat but it was a very thoughtful & thought provoking episode. I'm glad they went and got him home & If they had found a way to get back there; They took the power supply to get the gate working. If they had found a way to get that device back to the SGC. I don't think we'd ever have seen Dr Jackson outside his office again Hahaha!! Just like a kid in a candy store. I've often wished they go see how Ernest was doing. I'd love to have seen how the world grew up through his eyes. I just hope he had a wonderful retirement. Earnest deserves it more than anyone I think

Comment

Originally posted by SG1FanOregon View Post
                            Thankyou Brad for not showing Ernest nakkie below the waist Hahaha!! It wasn't an ep that had me on the edge of my seat but it was a very thoughtful & thought provoking episode. I'm glad they went and got him home & If they had found a way to get back there; They took the power supply to get the gate working. If they had found a way to get that device back to the SGC. I don't think we'd ever have seen Dr Jackson outside his office again Hahaha!! Just like a kid in a candy store. I've often wished they go see how Ernest was doing. I'd love to have seen how the world grew up through his eyes. I just hope he had a wonderful retirement. Earnest deserves it more than anyone I think
                            And why do you think that SG1Fan? I have always thought that they all worked hard on these episodes? Daniel does love candy stores doesn't he?

Comment

Greaaat episode poor Ernest if I were him I would go insane.

Spoiler:
                              4 Races : Nox, Furlings, Anceints, Asgard

Comment

I had no idea Earnest was Beckett!!! Well the same actor, I just realized it, watching it, lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X