No announcement yet.

Thor's Hammer (109)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IDK if anyone has mentioned this before- but I just read Douglas Adam's sequel to Hitchhiker's Guide, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Damned if they don't mention the Asgard in there, (spelled exactly the same) and a hammer, as well. So there wasn't only an homage to Star Wars in this episode! I know the Asgard are the Norse gods but it's funny to find them in two scifi series.
    Pretty clever. I find out something new about Stargate every day, it seems.
    Last edited by VSS; 06 December 2008, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Actually, in Norse mythology "Asgard" is the land where the gods live. Valhalla, the hall of the heroes, is there. The male gods, such as Odin and Thor, were called the Aesir; the females such as Freyja were called the Asynja.

If you like opera, I urge you to check out Richard Wagner's "Ring of the Nibelungs", a cycle of four works based on Norse mythology. The four titles are "Das Reingold", "Die Walkure", "Siegfried", and "Gotterdamerung". It's a devastating masterpiece, especially if you listen to all four operas back-to-back. After the final note sounds, you will wander about dazed, completely overwhelmed.

Comment

fantastic episode i like the fact that teal'c and o neil destroyed the hammer and when the Asgard built another they made sure that he won't get trapped again
        sigpic

Comment

the unas in this episode was just amazing

Comment

i was an episode which i watched but didn't really pay attention to. the story was a good one as we see there are other enemies of the goauld out there.
            Some say that he has only one ear.
            And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
            All we know is he's called
            sigpic

Comment

I loved how the Asgard myth was introduced. Seeing as they became an extremely prominent race by the end of the SG-1 series, I love their intro. And besides, the episode brought the team closer together, IMHO.
              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

this was one of the better season 1 episodes. a great way to introduce the asgard. I love how they use earth mythology and turn them into alien weird stuff. thats awesome. just a great thing to rewatch it. but there isnt much time till universe
                sigpic

Comment

Question about this episode, something that bugged me the first time I saw it, and have just been reminded about it after watching SG1 from the beginning again.
                  We all know, that when a Stargate is dialled and connects, an energy vortex spews out of the gate before the puddle is formed, and anything caught in the vortex is disintegrated, destroyed, whatever.
                  This being the case, how is it that at the start of this episode, as they are about to leave for the planet, Daniel, and the MALP are both there on the ramp, well within the proximity of the vortex. So how come they were not vaporised
                  You don't actually see the Stargate connect, but still, you know what I mean. An inconsistency here me thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cello View Post
                    Actually, in Norse mythology "Asgard" is the land where the gods live. Valhalla, the hall of the heroes, is there. The male gods, such as Odin and Thor, were called the Aesir; the females such as Freyja were called the Asynja.
                    Actually, all the gods were called the Aesir. And Freyja was actually Vanir, along with her brother Freyr.

Comment

When I watched this episode for the first time, at first I was sure it was gonna suck. But as I kept watching, I started liking this episode more and more. This is one of the better episodes of the first season for me.

Comment

So, I'm doing an informal SG-1 rewatch (informal meaning I'm skipping anything I don't feel like watching, which is quite a few episodes in season one!) and watching Thor's Hammer at the moment.

I enjoy the way that the Asgard are set up, and it's funny watching the hologram of 'Thor' knowing what he's really like. He must've had fun programming that... Also, the lovely voice of Darth Vader...*ahem*...James Earl Jones as the Unas. And poor ol' Daniel having to destroy the hammer at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by abstractrobbie View Post
                          Question about this episode, something that bugged me the first time I saw it, and have just been reminded about it after watching SG1 from the beginning again.
                          We all know, that when a Stargate is dialled and connects, an energy vortex spews out of the gate before the puddle is formed, and anything caught in the vortex is disintegrated, destroyed, whatever.
                          This being the case, how is it that at the start of this episode, as they are about to leave for the planet, Daniel, and the MALP are both there on the ramp, well within the proximity of the vortex. So how come they were not vaporised
                          You don't actually see the Stargate connect, but still, you know what I mean. An inconsistency here me thinks.
                          I noticed that this time too! Other than that this was a great episode.
                          sigpic

Comment

Loved this episode, even though Daniel destroying the hammer was a bit of an anti-climax. He did it so easily, just one shot of the staff and poof! Even his internal battle wasn't shown much, it can't be fun to know he probably destroyed his only chance of getting his wife back.
                            sigpic

Comment

Great episode. A hint on Asgard, almighty race that is feared by Goa'Uld and Jaffa and real appearance of whom we'll see only next season... The Unas in the caves... But I agree that Daniel destroyed Hammer too easily. If I were him, I'd not able to do it...

EDIT: 9/10
                              Last edited by Vagabond Serpent; 05 April 2010, 04:10 AM.
                              Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

I love this episode!! I'm rewatching SG-1 now (just got seasons 1 and 2 on DVD!!), and I'd forgotten how good this episode ones. It's one of those good, old-fashioned, standalone (for now) alien adventure ones (vs. epic battle ones) that is so good because of the characters. Even the minor ones are interesting - I really like Gerwin (however you spell it) in particular. She reminds me a little of Eowyn in LOTR.

But I agree that Daniel destroyed Hammer too easily.
                                Lol. Yeah. One little staff blast? That's it?!

Great ep otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                                X