Thor's Hammer (109)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
    You're so right. Thor. The Asgard. Asgard protection of planets. The Unas. Confirmation that goa'uld can be removed and that the host's mind survives. It's a LOT of new, momentous information.

Hehe. I think you've gotten a little carried away. Seems pretty clear to me that the Asgard aren't in orbit around Sameria and aren't aware of the events that transpire in Thors Hammer. The Asgard would have repaired the hammer, not left the planet open to attack. As for Kendra and her Valkyrie, she's just superstitious (which is a flaw in the script-writing, as she should have learned better during her years as a goa'uld host).

No, the Asgard's interest in Earth is renewed (and their focus turned to Jack) after The Fifth Race.
    Spoiler:
    Jack saunters into their home galaxy with the Ancients' repository of knowledge in his brain. THAT caught their attention! An Asgard in that episode says they didn't realize until that moment that any human's physiology had evolved to a state capable of receiving the Ancients' repository.

It's easy to get carried away.
    It's just a thing that struck me as I rewatched it, it's sort of funny how you can view certain things in the early episodes with the knowledge of what's to come and think, hmmmmm. Yep, one of my fun getting carried away moments there! The Fifth Race is one of my top ten episodes of the series, more wonderful revelations in that!!

Comment

I always enjoy this episode. I think it showcased the developing friendship of the guys. (Sam was almost left on the fringe of this one, she was out of sorts with losing her CO and having Daniel push on her continually. She didn't have as much experience dealing with him like Jack did). Anyway...I loved how Jack grabbed at Teal'c and proved his loyalty and friendship with him throughout the episode. Of course, the key moment of him having Daniel destroy the hammer, I think, showed how much he was striving to build his team, as well as give Daniel the autonomy to make a serious decision that was going to affect him for some time. It was sad how hopeful he was throughout the episode (more eager and excited than usual) and then to have it end the way it did. This is one of the better S1 episodes all around and a good example of the friendship that makes SG1 so great!
      Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

Another Sunday...another SG1 episode.

1. Word of the Viking gods as potential allies...my eyes lit up. I knew zippo of Egytian mythology prior to the original movie but I knew of the Viking gods due to a primary school project best part of a decade before watching this ep. Thor, Odin and Loki as allies of Earth? Allriiiight!

2. Slight problem, Teal'c's symbiote made things complicated.

3. Unas. Good enough bad guy given the circumstances.

4. So...hosts can be freed from the Goa'uld, my thoughts were similar to Daniel's at this point.

5. Mixed emotions at seeing Daniel have to toast the Hammer. I liked Jack's and his building friendship but didn't feel I knew Teal'c 'that' well yet. I was certainly rooting for Daniel to free Shar're though. It was for the best but...it still felt that this wasn't exactly a win for SG1 and I wasn't sure at this point about the future of the Earth-Asgard relationship.

Still, a fun ep.
        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
          If the Asgard with Thor were more powerful than the Goa'ulds, why didn't the Asgard ever destroiy them before Thor's Hammer or Thor's Chariot? Even in ancient times when the Asgards had also visited Earth, presumably when the goa'ulds were around here?
          As we saw in SGA being more powerful does not help if the enemy has numbers on their side. The Asgard were more potent in 1 on 1, heck 5 on 1 battles, but when the gou'ald could more than likely field fleets of 40+ ships and troops, attrition will wear them down. Plus they had the replicators to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by Starscape91 View Post
            Loved this episode showed the great relationship between Jack and Teal'c. Plus the beginning of the Asgard and Unas.
            Agreed, loved the episode....and loved the start of finding out about Thor!!
            sigpic
            Jack: Uhh, Daniel - for cryin' out loud!!, I said I would watch the Stanley Cup playoffs with you!
            Is all this necessary??!?

Comment

wow...ok so my box set is in a totally different order...confusing.

I remember loving this episode the first few times through. And although I LOVE the Asgard, I have to say I'm not as stoked about this one for the 4th time through! I also am always a little mad that they were so close to finding a way of riding people of their Goaul'd parasites. Oh well, on to Torment of Tantalus...naked old Ernest is always a hoot!
              sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
              Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
              GateCon Vancouver 2011
              Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

Stargate Rewatch episodes: 101 - 105, 106, 107,108, 109

Thor's Hammer

First and foremost, the memory of this episode that jumped out at me: James Earl Jones - the voice! I thought that was so cool that they scored a guest spot with him. Maybe the dialogue wasn't always up to his talent but it sure gave that mug on the Unas a big up-tick when he was onscreen!

I liked this episode for upping the level of team bonding, introducing a new and friendly people and a lot of angst. We learn that The First Ones were hosts to the Goa'uld before humans, and that, according to this one, they reveled in their fearsome strength and visage. At least until we pretty humans came along; poor Kendra. Apparently a symbiote can exist in almost any life form with a usable body.

Nicely written. The juxtaposition of Sam and Daniel's journey outdoors with the claustrophobic semi-darkness of the Hammer's domain was effective. Noticed that sometimes Jack and Teal'c walked corridors, and other times naked cave passages. Did the Asgard know that one of the Goa'uld had survived, and that any host they wanted to save would be doomed anyway?

Also an emotional note, when Jack reluctantly tells Daniel that he has to disable the Hammer in order for Teal'c to leave. Daniel's heartfelt plea to save the device in hopes of bringing Sha're to cure was a hard moment for all of them. When Daniel tells Teal'c, the alien he's just chosen to save in place of his wife, that "at least we know it works," I definitely felt that. Jack did, too. They all know the sacrifice their teammate made for the other.

Additionally:
                • Thor's Hammer kills the Goa'uld but not the host. But a jaffa wouldn't survive if the Hammer killed its symbiote. Apparently having a grown Goa'uld doesn't result in immuno-suppression. We know later that the Goa'uld can fatally poison its host if it senses attempts to remove it, however.

• Favorite line: Jack: "We just got the answering machine." After discovering Thor is a hologram.

• Thank goodness for Tau'ri projectile weapons; the Goa'uld and the Asgard didn't see that coming!

• First glimpse of the First One was marvelously chilling; I imagined it reeked. And when it took the bullets out of its body, greenish goo - yuk. But great make up although I liked the look of the later Unas (Chaka).

• Why doesn't Sam notify the SGC for back up before taking the trek with Gairwyn?

• Love this interplay with Sam and Daniel. Sam becomes Jack, taking the military mindset and taking a more practical view of their situation. She's much firmer than we've seen her with Daniel, pressing for cold-minded focus than his feelings. Her impatience is striking, obviously being thrust into command was on her mind. And it seems she has a temper when situations prod her.

• Jack and Teal'c make a very effective defense/offense team. Here was Jack's affirmation of Teal'c as friend, teammate, and someone they won't leave behind. Teal'c was prepared to give his life to defeat the Unas and thus save Jack.

A lot of firsts in this episode. Thor's Hammer gave us the first glimpse of the Protected Planets as told by the image of Thor. There is also a portent that the destruction of the Hammer may be problematic in the future; note the camera over Gairwyn's shoulder as the team departs through the gate. Safe, really?

This ep got me further hooked into the show. Rate 3.5/5
                MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                sigpic
                Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Nice review...

Comment

I love episodes that use the Asgard and while this isn't really an Asgard episode its a prelude to them so its a plus for me. Normally I loathe Unas episodes but this is the exception. Maybes its the actor but how he taunts Teal'c is just well done couplied with what looks like fear from the Jaffa makes for some dramatic acting. On the other end Kendra annoyed me as a character. I can't put my finger on it but thier something about her personality that annoys me. Although Daniel's interest in the Hammar to save Sha're is compelling and it speaks to me when he destroys it to save his friends. Shows where his morals are at
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

I really liked this episode. The Unas was actually a pretty good villain for the amount of time he was given, and I'm a little sad we didn't really see any other Goa'uld with Unas hosts considering they seem to have a pretty big upside.

On the other hand, not a huge fan of the Netflix version of SG-1 as this is the third episode out of order already...
                      http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4574/dontblinkgc5.jpg

Comment

This was definitely one of my favorite episodes of the season. O'neill and Teal'c definitely bond while trying to find the exit. It also shows how much Teal'c has become part of the team. The struggle for Daniel when destroying Thor's Hammer was very evident. You could see his pain for having to destroy Sha're and Skaara's chance to be freed from the gould. You also see how grateful Teal'c is to Daniel for making such a huge sacrifice. The episode also has some great lines "I think we got the answering machine".

It's also great to see how many things from this one episode would eventually be revisited:
                        *Thor and the protection of certain planets
                        *The Unas
                        *Hammer is now broken, problems later

Comment

I like the north mythology and so i like this episode too .
                          The Unas looked very scary and i am pity of tealc as he fight with the goauld. disgusting.

At first i have false thougts about this episode. i have thought, that thor is coming with a spaceship on the end of these episode but no ^^.

Comment

I really like the episode(s) about Thor. Think it maybe is because i'm from Norway and it's interesting to see the old mythology become alien, haha. Teal'c got accepted by Dr. Daniel Jackson as well, good episode!

Comment

I liked this episode for its introduction to the Asgard
                              sigpic

You got nothing on my smileys

Comment

Great episode, loved the introduction of the asguard myself.
                                One thing I don't get why did Thor send a hologram on the planet instead of himself? I know it sound stupid to you lot, but I'm just watching season one for the first time.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X