No announcement yet.

Brief Candle (108)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a remarkable amount of episodes in SG-1's first season that I simply don't care too much about. Boy, I can't even understand why I ever managed to get through this season in one piece -- like, without skipping episodes like Brief Candle.

The only thing that gets me all -- ha, look at that -- is the 3.5 inch disk Janet hands Carter when she wants to show her what she found in the bloodwork they brought back. Man, did computer technology evolve since then.

*snort* The younger generation doesn't even know what those things are. They think it's a 3D-print of the save-icon.

It's not a bad episode. It's a standalone, and can easily be viewed without seeing any of the others, but if anyone showed me this, I don't think I'd be interested in more of this show. I don't know, maybe... or maybe not.

Daniel delivering a baby does remain funny. And everyone looking at Carter like she's a woman so she must know how this stuff works.

The aging of Jack O'Neill though -- that's some fabulous make-up work. Allow me to copy what the Illustrated Companion has to say about it:

The first three stages (50, 55 & 65) were achieved without prostethics, using only paint. For the final four stages (70, 80, 90 & 100) prostethic appliances were added, starting with the forehead.

The effects were done by supervisor at the time Jan Newman, and special effects artists Jayne Dancose and David DuPuis.

How would you rate SG-1's "Brief Candle?"

Excellent
    Good
    Fair
    Poor
    Terrible

I'm giving it a fair because even though I wasn't wow'd by it, it was still a fairly good episode as a whole.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I actually hate this episode with a passion. It paints Jack with as a moron to get infected with the nanites. A military officer especially one with Jack's level of experience to know to not to sleep with an alien woman. Besides that it just seems a standard early SG1 episode of us convincing others to not worship Goa'uld as gods. I find the solution to the ageing to be rushed. This is poor to me
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

This episode wasn't very memorable for me. But this does mark the beginning of SG-1's lack of understanding on how evolution works which eventually leads us to ascension...not that I think the writers were planning on it at this point.
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          I actually hate this episode with a passion. It paints Jack with as a moron to get infected with the nanites. A military officer especially one with Jack's level of experience to know to not to sleep with an alien woman. Besides that it just seems a standard early SG1 episode of us convincing others to not worship Goa'uld as gods. I find the solution to the ageing to be rushed. This is poor to me
          Or be careful about what to eat.

Notwithstanding sexually transmitted diseases... or contact with humans from other planets... I mean, haven't they learned anything from the Spaniards infecting the native Inca's with the common cold.

Comment

That is a whole different story that honestly should be happening every episode. We should be infecting each planet
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              That is a whole different story that honestly should be happening every episode. We should be infecting each planet
              As well as bringing back constant plagues.
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

We need a test carrier. I suggest aretood
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Like a test taster...

Do they get hazard pay?

Comment

Everyone at the SGC gets hazard pay.

Seaboe
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                      Everyone at the SGC gets hazard pay.

It comes as a perk.

Comment

Back from vacation means I have time to add the quiz and jigsaw puzzles, so here goes...

Quiz this way, and get your jiggy on with the puzzle for Brief Candle right here.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          Back from vacation means I have time to add the quiz and jigsaw puzzles, so here goes...

Quiz this way, and get your jiggy on with the puzzle for Brief Candle right here.
                          3 Minutes and 49 Seconds...I think the human mind is trained to recognize faces the most so this was actually quite easy.
                          By Nolamom
                          sigpic

Comment

5 mins 13 secs. My mind needs more training
                            http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Comment

It couldn't get any closer. I got 3 minutes and 48 seconds. So close puzzle Tood. 13 out of 15 on the quiz. Got a Jackism wrong and a year question wrong. I'm terrible with dates
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X