No announcement yet.

Cold Lazarus (106)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please don't tell me I'm the only one who cries like a baby every time I watch this one...
    "Y'know; Lose it. It means, go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No Longer in posession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WHACKO!!!!!"

The perfect couple!

Comment

No, you aren't. It gets to me too, on many levels.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
      sigpic
      now also appearing on DeviantArt
      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Why oh why did Jack let the crystal do that to Sarah? In what way would that help her?

Aside of that, like First Commandment, I thought this ep was there to give a bit of background to Jack, fill it in a little, and while I thought it was a good ep I think it could have done a whole lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Clanger View Post
          Why oh why did Jack let the crystal do that to Sarah? In what way would that help her?
          In what way was it a matter of his letting it do anything? Jack was never in control of the crystal entity in any way.

Aside of that, like First Commandment, I thought this ep was there to give a bit of background to Jack, fill it in a little, and while I thought it was a good ep I think it could have done a whole lot more.
          That's what I liked about this ep, too. We got to learn a lot more about Jack O'Neill the man.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

when it changed into Charlie it then asked if Sara was still around. At that point I felt that Jack should have guessed that it wanted to see her, and if he'd said it would upset her too much, it would have just left with Jack (after all, it only wanted to find Charlie to cheer Jack up and make him better on its planet)

Comment

Well, if you look at all the time it spent with Sara, it seems pretty clear (at least to me) that it was trying to help her, too. And by the time it turned into Charlie it realized it had probably caused some problems with her that it had better resolve. I think that's why it asked, and I don't think Jack necessarily thought this would upset Sara any more than what had already happened. That's the way it appeared to me, anyway.

Mind you, I've also had my perceptions colored more recently by some fanfic I've read that deals with Sara's reactions to all of this after the fact, but what struck me about the fic was how closely the author's assessment of that mirrored my own.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

I wonder if you and your fic writer have children? I think that makes a difference (digging through my folders on an old usb stick I find that i also wrote a fic about this ep a long long time ago )

It's most definitely coloured by the fact that I have children. I don't think that having just about come to terms with Charlie's death she'd want even half a second looking at "him"

but we all see it differently

Comment

I think the whole thing was about Sara not having come to terms with Charlie's death. It had been two or three (?) years since the boy died and yet everything appeared to have been left the same as it was the day he died (although I'm not sure the living room was as pink when Jack was still living there). Not just his room, which you often hear (on television at least) remains the same when children go missing or die, but even his toys and bike were still lying around the yard.

So, the crystal, being able to sense someone's pain/sorrow, picked up on Sara's unresolved feelings and wanted to give her a chance to say goodbye to her son, in the hope of helping her move on. The details surrounding Charlie's death have never been mentioned, but I assume he either died on impact or shortly thereafter in the hospital, probably never regaining consciousness and therefore never giving either of his parents a real chance to say goodbye.
                  Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                  Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                  On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I wonder if you and your fic writer have children? I think that makes a difference (digging through my folders on an old usb stick I find that i also wrote a fic about this ep a long long time ago )
                    I don't, but:

Originally posted by fems View Post
                    I think the whole thing was about Sara not having come to terms with Charlie's death. It had been two or three (?) years since the boy died and yet everything appeared to have been left the same as it was the day he died (although I'm not sure the living room was as pink when Jack was still living there). Not just his room, which you often hear (on television at least) remains the same when children go missing or die, but even his toys and bike were still lying around the yard.

So, the crystal, being able to sense someone's pain/sorrow, picked up on Sara's unresolved feelings and wanted to give her a chance to say goodbye to her son, in the hope of helping her move on. The details surrounding Charlie's death have never been mentioned, but I assume he either died on impact or shortly thereafter in the hospital, probably never regaining consciousness and therefore never giving either of his parents a real chance to say goodbye.
                    This.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

that sounds plausible. I just know that as a mother, I'd not want to be confronted by that, no matter how well meaning.

And he was such a cute kid!

Comment

that sounds plausible. I just know that as a mother, I'd not want to be confronted by that, no matter how well meaning.

And he was such a cute kid!
                        Well, Jack had been married to Sara for over a decade probably and he felt it was a good idea, otherwise he would have stopped "Charlie" from seeing her. In this case I don't think you can answer it simply based on the fact that you (don't) have children because of the circumstances surrounding the boy's death. Only those who were involved can give an answer, because not every child's death, no matter how heartbreaking, is the same.
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

This is what rewatching stargate is all about. I forgot this episode but upon watching it again, I remember why I liked it so much. It was a very emotional story and we got to see who Jack really is inside. Tealc's line about needing his staff weapon was classic.

Comment

First thing that came to mind is....why is it that after the alien tells them he's dying, Jack just hunkers down for a long winded discussion instead of hopping to it and getting the alien back to the stargate? Same thing with the other crystal alien in the lab, after that one specifically says, it needs to return to the stargate because it's dying, they just stand around discussing science.

Comment

Ugh, the episode that "inspired" Atlantis PTB to write the horrendous Doppelganger...

Sam and Daniel are hilarious in this episode, like two kids in a candystore. Permission to fire Teal'c's weapon... err... sure...
                              Teal'c watching TV -- he's no rocker for sure. Sadly the images displayed are still very accurate to this day. Not much has changed -- we're still a strange world.

Not really a fan of the episode, but I guess it's good they touched upon the death of Charlie and Jack's family, and get it over with.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Season 1, Disc 2 -- six episodes on one disk. More than I remembered.

This is one of my all time favorite Stargate episodes. I like it because it features RDA, because we see what Jack was like before Charlie died and because I think it's got a very good script. I also like the actress chosen to play Sara. And the boy who plays Charlie is terrific.

It also has one of my favorite special effects, when the energy being morphs into Charlie as it reaches out to touch Jack's chest. Maybe there are movies and even other TV shows where that kind of morphing was done better; I doubt there were any where it was more effective.

Seaboe
                                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Working...
                                X