No announcement yet.

The First Commandment (105)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This story was almost exactly like a Highlander episode called "Little Tin God". In that case an Immortal sets himself up as a god to an indigenous people of South America.

In the end of that one, the people capture him and brick him in alive.
    Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

I agree, maybe if it was closer to the end of season one. But if they did it after that it might seam.... i don't know.... forced.

Comment

This episode was ok. I'm not going to lie being Called a god and being able to back it up with simple tech has to be very tempting. Combine that with the deadly radiation of that sun, who knows what the effects could be.

Also this seemed to be the first episode where all 4 members of the team were needed.

Not bad not good, Ill give it a 5-10

Comment

Watched this one this morning. is this the 1st episode where they start with the Wizard of Oz remarks?

This episode reminded me of some old Star Trek TOS episodes, where some captains go off the deep end. One of them called himself Lord Garth. Daniels comment made me LOL all over again, when he was talking about black ops soldiers with Sam. He was saying the crazier they are, the more extreme the situation they seem to be put in. All the while, Jack is walking behind them listening, and not saying a word. This is the 3rd time I've seen this episode, and that scene made me laugh all 3 times.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            I'm going to be a little nitpicky about when Frakes was killed and then burned. Whatever they doused his body with should not have burned his body to ashes. There should have been more of a skeleton left behind, and yet when Connor and SG1 found the remains, there were only ashes left, along with the dog tags.
            Originally posted by Lunaeclipse View Post
            Yeah, me too. It would have been interesting to know what happened there.
            There is a paradox of tone I have noticed during this rewatch i have not noticed before during my own rewatched (possibly because I'm trying to comment on each episode more critically than before?).

RDA made it quite clear he wanted to tone down his character and add more humour. When you compare SG1 currently to how it ends up in tone, the humour RDA inserted remains, but the violent tone is turned down significantly. CotG: Nudity, Broca: Rape, First Commandment: Execution (Frakes). The reason i think this works is the juxtaposition of Violence and Lighthearted humour make for great viewing!

The relationship between Carter and Hanson is really forgotten and never again relevent for the rest of the series which i find strange considering we do go into her love life a little later on.

I didn't like the use of the term 'Phenomenon' by Daniel when speaking of the way some cultures bow to worship SG teams upon first arriving. I dont know if 'Phenomenon' is the correct term?

OK episode. A little better than Emancipation, and little worse than Broca. Season 1 takes of from here though imo.

"The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer.” - Henry David Thoreau

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nindif View Post
              The relationship between Carter and Hanson is really forgotten and never again relevent for the rest of the series which i find strange considering we do go into her love life a little later on.
              Couldn't agree more. They could've at least mentioned it again.

Originally posted by Nindif View Post
              OK episode. A little better than Emancipation, and little worse than Broca. Season 1 takes of from here though imo.
              Agree again.
              sigpic
              Jack: Uhh, Daniel - for cryin' out loud!!, I said I would watch the Stanley Cup playoffs with you!
              Is all this necessary??!?

Comment

It wasn't my favorite episode, but not bad.
                One of the biggest reasons why I did not enjoy it that much is that I am a big hater of fanatical religion, especially when it is coming from a human being. It reminds me of some of the offshoots of our religions and what church used to be long time ago.
                I also agree with people who wanted more info on Carters relationship with Hanson. It did look like that their former relationship were added forcefully to the episode.
                I also agree that from next episode series took off, though I myself would be hooked from The Nox episode.
                sigpic

Comment

I guess this is an obligatory topic for a series about people from Earth who are going to find primitive cultures from time to time when they travel through the gate. I would have liked to have seen the delusions of god-hood happen to a character we had already met. Overall, a good episode, but not great.

Comment

...and Teal'c's attempt to smile was pretty good.

Comment

My LiveJournal post
                      I didn't have much to say this time, but meh...

BTW, we're obviously reminded of Sam's boyfriends and ex's always dying, so why do many people want her to be with Jack? You don't want Jack to die, do you??
                      "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                      "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                      "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                      "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                      >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Originally posted by Starmover View Post
                        Daniels comment made me LOL all over again, when he was talking about black ops soldiers with Sam. He was saying the crazier they are, the more extreme the situation they seem to be put in. All the while, Jack is walking behind them listening, and not saying a word.
                        Or the line before that when Sam talks about how she always had a soft spot for the lunatic fringe, then they cut to Jack. LOL! This story opens and closes with such peril and explains how teams could be off-world for weeks at a time as part of a routine mission. There's quite a bit of back story provided again. I LOVED Connors' monologue around the campfire; that with the music was just...was this aired for Halloween or something?
                        Oz and the first reference back to Tastes Like Chicken.

Even with so much violence, including toward the natives, excellent humor and fun execution.

Comment

Originally posted by Jae'a View Post

BTW, we're obviously reminded of Sam's boyfriends and ex's always dying, so why do many people want her to be with Jack? You don't want Jack to die, do you??
                          Yeah, but jack survived so many years alongside her, I think he is immune to that curse That is why we have humongous Sam/jack ship threads in this forum and that is why people here go crazy during their ship day
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by muziqaz View Post
                            Yeah, but jack survived so many years alongside her, I think he is immune to that curse That is why we have humongous Sam/jack ship threads in this forum and that is why people here go crazy during their ship day
                            I was never interested in that ship though - Canon or almost canon ships usually bore me.
                            Same with Babylon 5, I sometimes find myself sifting through all the Sheridan & Delenn or Marcus & Ivanova fics for something different. And Farscape with John & Aeryn. (Although in that case, I'm usually looking for John/D'Argo stuff... )
                            "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                            "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                            "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                            "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                            >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Originally posted by Jae'a View Post
                              My LiveJournal post
                              I didn't have much to say this time, but meh...

Sam only had two canon boyfriends in the whole series, Hanson and Pete. Narim etc were all attracted to Sam, but were never her boyfriend.
                              sigpic

Comment

One thing I'm noticing with this re watch is how much darker the series was at the beginning. It's a measure of how the show became more off the wall with the humour and feeling that there was nothing left in the galaxy that held any surprises for the SG teams!!

This episode was a good example of that. I don't think we ever get to see a member of an SG team go off the deep end like Hanson did (without an alien influence) again in the series that I can remember.

We're introduced for the first time to the good old 'quarry' here!!!! I don't know of any other show that has so many episodes filmed in quarries!!! Well, maybe the old Dr Who episodes of the 60's and 70's, that became a running joke about the 'BBC quarry'!!! The area around Vancouver had a lot of them dotted around where they got all the stone and stuff to build roads etc at the time. Most of them are now new housing estates.

I may just start a 'quarry scene' count!

Comment

Working...
                                X