The First Commandment (105)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KayLyne View Post
    Sam's comment that she's "always had a soft spot for the lunatic fringe" is totally opposite of what we see anywhere else in this series - Martouf, Narim, Orlin (yes, all of whom are aliens) and Pete too - all seemed to be on the "soft & caring" side rather than "lunatics".
    Okay, I have to disagree with you here. Martouf may not have been part of the "lunatic fringe" but he was totally ready to continue his relationship with Rosha/Jolinar with Sam when he learned about her being host to Jolinar. That's not really normal to me; he didn't even know her! Narim was probably trying to be nice with his emotion recorder, but that is also not something normal people do. Not to mention him using Sam's voice in his house! That's creepy! Who knows what else those technologically advanced Tollan can do... *shudders*

Don't even get me started on Orlin the creepy stalker, spying on Sam during her daily routine and 'floating' through her house (and when she was getting ready for bed). Then that mind-sharing thing and basically living at her house; he descended for her, someone he doesn't even really know. Again, not very normal. Oh and let's not forget him coming back in The Fourth Horseman hoping they could rekindle their 'relationship' despite him being a child! Pete... well, he's not very normal either. He had an FBI pal do a background check on her after they slept together for the first time and later on stalked her to the Osiris stakeout, nearly getting them all killed! As a cop, he should have known what 'classified' meant and left it that, but no, he went all out to satisfy his curiosity.

Originally posted by juggernaut975 View Post
    The bigger mystery to me, bigger than 'why didn't Sam just wound Jonas?' was why didn't Connor himself escape through the Stargate rather than just throwing the message?
    He was probably holding out hope for Frakes to join him? Or maybe he knew he wouldn't likely be allowed to go back to the planet with SG-1 if he stepped foot on the ramp and explained everything (and got sent to the infirmary).
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
      He was probably holding out hope for Frakes to join him? Or maybe he knew he wouldn't likely be allowed to go back to the planet with SG-1 if he stepped foot on the ramp and explained everything (and got sent to the infirmary).
      He ditched Frakes though...well, that's harsh he didn't ditch him but Frakes was down and, when Connor paused and was turning as if to go back for him, Frakes told him to go on without him.

I think the second one is very likely though, especially considering that he was willing to directly question Colonel O'Neill's orders when SG1 arrives.

In fact, EVERYONE was in the mood to question Jack it seems, lol.

It also occurred to me that I am genuinely surprised that this didn't happen more often. Everyone in SGC is a 'trained professional' but you have to figure that out of THAT many people going off world and encountering primitive civilizations there would be some of them who would try a stunt like this.

I love the fact that it was pointed out that, for all of our nobility, we're still capable of great evil. The one thing that I kept thinking over and over again when I saw the natives building that temple was 'We've turned into the Goa'uld ourselves....'
      sigpic

Comment

I never really liked this ep but it was interesting
        sigpic
        My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
        poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Okay, I have to disagree with you here. Martouf may not have been part of the "lunatic fringe" but he was totally ready to continue his relationship with Rosha/Jolinar with Sam when he learned about her being host to Jolinar. That's not really normal to me; he didn't even know her! Narim was probably trying to be nice with his emotion recorder, but that is also not something normal people do.
          Normal Tau'ri, no but neither of these guys are Tau'ri. Their actions might be commonplace in their culture and they may not know any better(though Narim having Sam's voice in his house does cross a line)
          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Pete... well, he's not very normal either. He had an FBI pal do a background check on her after they slept together for the first time and later on stalked her to the Osiris stakeout, nearly getting them all killed! As a cop, he should have known what 'classified' meant and left it that, but no, he went all out to satisfy his curiosity.
            That was the one thing that always bugged me about him. Those actions were stalker-ish. Especially since he was a cop.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
              Normal Tau'ri, no but neither of these guys are Tau'ri. Their actions might be commonplace in their culture and they may not know any better(though Narim having Sam's voice in his house does cross a line)
              Oh, come on, the guy(Narim) thought she was an angel while he was dying
              sigpic

Comment

SG1 Rewatch: 101, 102, 103, 104, 105

The First Commandment

Before I watched this ep again, I tried to recall what my initial impressions were.
                • Didn't like that Sam disobeyed Jack's orders on misguided intentions; but loved Teal'c and Daniel couldn't stop her!
                • WTF- Sam didn't shoot Hanson!
                • Jack was aware of the connection between Sam and Hanson, made sure she could deal

Over all impression after the Rewatch:
                • Frightening opener. More for the killing of Frakes by a fellow soldier than the view of the primitives leaping and dodging in the brush.

• Goa'uld terraformed planets; for human or symbiote benefit? By terraformed, did this mean with plow and animals (and slaves), or technologically?

• Hanson seemed older than Sam but had same rank even though he had a special ops background like Jack.

• Why does Sam take so much on herself regarding Hanson? Jack was right to voice concern but sending her back to SGC wouldn't reflect well on her.

• William Russ does lunatic so well, did a great job here, too.

• Find that Sam and Hanson had encountered each other at the SGC without incident.

• Always nice to get a peek at characters' personal lives before SGC. Too bad this wasn't a nice peek.

• I HATE that Sam didn't pull the trigger; if he knew her so well he probably left it unloaded anyway. Then again, he was unarmed and that wouldn't have been good form.

• Memorable quote: Hanson: "All along I was looking for God. And now, here I am."

• The shield didn't seem to cover the planet, but a pretty nice sized territory.

• I liked how Sam looked in the helmet but she seemed a bit hampered esp when running.

• Teal'c comes through with knowledge of Goa'uld technology, although in the briefing with the Pentagon guy he said knowledge of Goa'uld magics was forbidden.

• Jack was trying to help Sam over her moment of doubt, but curious why he gave her Hanson's bible; did she really need a memento of him or the incident?

A little more team bonding; Teal'c and Daniel worked well on their own. Sam talks to Daniel about her relationship with Jack in earshot.

I thought this episode had an understated message about interplanetary imperialism. Earth was not going out to the stars to conquer/subjugate people. Hanson's actions were especially offensive to the SGC because they were engaged in fighting an enemy who wanted to enslave them just as Hanson was doing (and as Sam told him). And the Tau'ri more than most know that false gods come to a bad end.

Rated 3/5.
                MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                sigpic
                Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Sam's about 29 years old here, went to the Academy, has a (master and) PhD, flew in the Gulf War, did simulated bombings, studied nano-technology for a year and worked on genetics and was involved with the gate technology for at least two years... all that combined doesn't leave much room for real combat experience.

Pulling that trigger, whether it's to wound/incapacitate or kill him when he's standing there, non-threatening and unarmed and practically taunting her to do it... It can't have been an easy choice. She knows the man, presumably loved him once upon a time and probably lived with him as well some time during their relationship/engagement. And let's not forget that she knows her team is out there and that they'll come to her 'rescue' soon.

IMO, if she'd shot him she wouldn't have been able to become the character we all respect and care about.
                  Interesting. I also thought that Sam's famed 'focus' wouldn't have lent itself to being in a real relationship along with her hot career track. Hanson's controlling nature must have made her finally see that.
                  MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                  sigpic
                  Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Love how, initially, they address the fact there are a LOT of planets in the galaxy that bear a striking resemblance to the Pacific Northwest, lol...

JACKSON: For a planet with a UV radiation as high as this one is supposed to have, the plant life seems to be doing very well.

CARTER: Apparently Abydos was the exception, not the rule, as far as tree's are concerned.

JACKSON: Well that makes since, for a plant to support human life there must be some sort of Carbon-based vegetation, right?

TEAL'C: It is no accident. Many Stargate worlds were tare-formed by the Goa'ulds, centuries ago.

Really great writing, a nice, quick, logical way to explain the fact that a lot of the planets they visit are so similar.
                    sigpic

Comment

I believe this is our first encounter with Ancient tech (besides the gates themselves). Hanson thinks the UV shield was left behind by the goa'uld, but Carter remarks that the device's "main control board seems to follow the same basic circuitry patterns as the gate technology." Also, the device clearly uses a lot of power, sustained constantly for long periods of time, possibly thousands of years. Seems more likely to use a ZPM than naquada (sp?) power source. Also, protecting people is "Ancienty" behavior, not goa'uld behavior. Anyway, that's why I think we have Ancients' technology in this episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1;12827290

[*
                        Teal'c comes through with knowledge of Goa'uld technology, although in the briefing with the Pentagon guy he said knowledge of Goa'uld magics was forbidden.

Knowing how to use something and understanding how it works are not one in the same. I know how to drive my car, but if it breaks down I have no clue how to fix it and what parts what under the hood. Teal'c is an extremely skilled pilot of death gliders and other Goau'ld aircraft, but in episodes where we see same having to fix their ships for the team to use, Teal'c isn't a part of the repair team. That is what I took "magics" to be referring to, the mechanical workings of the technology and scientific principles behind it.

P.S. Yay for my first GW post! Been a lurker on the Daniel THUNK for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by ekolint48 View Post
                          Knowing how to use something and understanding how it works are not one in the same. I know how to drive my car, but if it breaks down I have no clue how to fix it and what parts what under the hood. Teal'c is an extremely skilled pilot of death gliders and other Goau'ld aircraft, but in episodes where we see same having to fix their ships for the team to use, Teal'c isn't a part of the repair team. That is what I took "magics" to be referring to, the mechanical workings of the technology and scientific principles behind it.

P.S. Yay for my first GW post! Been a lurker on the Daniel THUNK for a long time.
                          Welcome to the forums
                          sigpic

Comment

Teal'c only thought it was goa'uld technology. Actually ancient tech. (See earlier post).

Comment

To me, this was a dark episode that showed the show could do serious. (not that they hadn't already, but this was definitely dark). As noted by someone above, the idea that Hanson would have killed a guy on his unit was truly despicable and worse than if the natives had done that. I love Conner's campfire talk. Creepy and the expressions on everybody's faces were great. I had forgotten how many episodes he was in. I like him. I also always forget how they were camped out on the planet with tents and all! That wasn't seen very often.

I gotta say, I feel sorry for Jack having absolutely nobody follow his orders! Usually it's only Daniel he has trouble with! Love the "Colonel on my uniform" line. Poor Jack!

I thought it was interesting that Jack knew about Sam's past with Hansen. Remembering back to watching this before, I totally didn't remember that he knew. Good way of showing that these people interact and talk outside of what we see in the episodes.

Great part where Jack comes back, sees Sam down there and instantly asks "Daniel." then..."never mind." hahaha! His Captain has a mind of her own. Hansen was pretty good at being crazy. creepy dude. On the subject of Sam's supposed attraction to the "lunatic fringe" (including the aforementioned Narim, Martouf, Orlin, Pete)...are any of those actually her fault? She didn't exactly go after any of those guys (Pete was a set up from her brother) but still...it wasn't like she went out and sought these guys out. They were all pursuing her.

Ok, as far as the Sam shooting Hansen part....Yes, he'd killed someone, but he wasn't really threatening her so to speak at the time. I don't know, hard call. It would have probably weighed heavily on her heart and mind if she had just shot him at that point.

Ah, getting Teal'c to smile! Hilarious! I guess he took Jack's advice to practice, cuz he looked a lot more friendly when he helped Cassandra later on!

I liked the native guy's comment on Teal'c's artwork and Teal'c's reply! I also thought it was hilarious when Teal'c was gonna fire his weapon at the floor over the 2nd device and Daniel wasted absolutely no time in rushing the native out of the way!

Good episode overall. Great, great moment between Jack and Sam at the end.
                              Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

I thought this was a darker episode knowing that one of their own went on the deep end. I find the relationship between Sam/Hansen interesting compared with the relationship to Jack. Knowing that he was in the black ops and he is kind of crazy, but not in the I'm a God and you must obey me kind of thing. What confused me was the guy who was on Hansen's team, but followed what turned him into a raving lunatic as well?
                                My favorite TV shows

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X