The Broca Divide (104)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muziqaz View Post
    Yes, they bring up the issue that there is a chance they can get a disease or bring a virus to other planets, but for the sake of the show they decided not to have life and death situation caused by unknown bacteria in every episode. I think you guys would be moaning if they completely ignored that subject altogether.
    I agree. They touch on these issues to demonstrate that they are thinking about them and because there is at least one good story to be told, but they don't dwell. So we know Daniel helps translate, and we know Janet it on the look out for diseases coming back and forth between the gate, and we know teams are building diplomatic relations and trading technology. Equally, it is unreasonable to assume that the SGC and other teams never follow-up or visit other planets again. There are enough hints throughout the show to tell us that missions (long and short term) are going on with SG-1 and other teams even when we aren't around to see it. That makes the universe feel less artificial and more complete.

Yet, at the same time I don't want realistic. That's boring! I want fun and adventure. Show me the good stuff! That's what SG-1 does. It doesn't show us the day to day; it just hits the highlights.

This is episodic television. By including it in an episode they are acknowledging that these issues are a part of this world. Beyond that we are being asked to use our imaginations. The rest is for fan fiction.

Comment

Oh, I agree. I don't think anyone is complaining that they want more disease episodes. However, The Broca Divide is about bringing a disease back to SGC, and so its discussion thread is the natural place for us fans to acknowledge this difference between reality and our beloved fictional universe.

Comment

Been thinking about the comments here. Our discussion nicely underscores the fact that not all plot holes are mistakes or oversights. Some are deliberate decisions that make a show more watchable. Urealistically limiting the role of disease is one of those decisions. Making everyone speak English is another. They're wise decisions; they make the show watchable. Sites like gateworld, however, is where fans gather to wink and nod at each other that we know the real score, that we know the secret of the magician's trick.

Other plot holes really are mistakes or oversights by the show's creators. This is a place where we can talk about them, both the good ones and the bad ones.

Comment

This is the start of another kind of typical Stargate storyline. The one where we bring back terrible illness through the gate. A lot of these early episodes I can't help but roll my eyes at the cultures and this is one of them. The Land of Light people annoy me like crazy and I could care less about exploring their culture.

I was much more interested in the disease that affects the SGC and how we attack it. Especially when we get to see Dr. Frasier for the first time. She didn't change much from this intial episode and onward and for good reason. Another nod goes to Teal'c. I have always liked him calling the Land of Light people heartless just to show an insight into his character. Teal'c character doesn't say much in the early years so I like these insights.

As for the claim of this episode showing insight into jack/sam I think that is just shippers seeing what they want to see especially when they were both under a disease that alters brain chemistry
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            As for the claim of this episode showing insight into jack/sam I think that is just shippers seeing what they want to see especially when they were both under a disease that alters brain chemistry
            it just showed they were attracted to each other, jel.
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
              it just showed they were attracted to each other, jel.
              Proof that you twist facts to see what isn't there Not surprised coming from you
              Jelgate is right

Comment

ahem, play nice kids

for as many that see sam and jack there's plenty that insist they see the true love of brothers between jack and daniel.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Proof that you twist facts to see what isn't there Not surprised coming from you
                  sam kissed jack, not daniel or teal'c or hammond or anyone else. all the writers were doing was putting their stamp on 'this' ship, b/c it could easily have been one of those other men she kissed/chose.
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

sam kissed jack, not daniel or teal'c or hammond or anyone else. all the writers were doing was putting their stamp on 'this' ship, b/c it could easily have been one of those other men she kissed/chose.
                    Again it was disease that completely misses with neural chemistry that turns them to animals. Animals don't choose mates in that mannar.
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Again it was disease that completely misses with neural chemistry that turns them to animals. Animals don't choose mates in that mannar.
                      x 10!
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

let it go you two
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          there's plenty that insist they see the true love of brothers between jack and daniel.
                          Not on this one, I freakin' didn't...
                          "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                          "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                          "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                          "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                          >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

I'm not one who sees love at first sight between Jack and Sam, but I definitely see a chemistry.

Talk about animal attraction!!!

Comment

Chemistry and perhaps a bit of lust at first sight. In my opinion some animal attraction was definitely in play otherwise Hammond or Teal'c would have made good choices too, as they are leaders and would probably give strong offspring too.
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

all the writers were doing was putting their stamp on 'this' ship, b/c it could easily have been one of those other men she kissed/chose.
                                The writers did the opposite IMO.

The 'shipper interpretation is that the disease lowered inhibitions as alcohol might do, letting Carter act on her feelings. I'd agree if the writers hadn't explicitly given a different reason. They had Frasier explain it as the disease bringing out primal behavior, a female seeking a powerful alpha male, to secure her own interests, blah blah. Science-speak. If the writers wanted to portray a Sam/Jack attraction, all they had to do was let actions speak for themselves. Instead they added dialogue that pointed the other way. The writers spelled out exactly what they wanted us to think about Carter's advances.

Is there chemistry between Jack and Sam at this early date? *shrugs* Maybe, but the writers' emphasis was elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X