The Broca Divide (104)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshineRoxie View Post
    To me, this episode was clearly about showing the viewers how the SGC would handle a dangerous epidemic that was accidentally brought back to Earth. After this episode, we put more faith into Dr. Frasier's ability to fight unfamiliar diseases as well.
    Absolutely agree. I guess that's the idea I'm starting to get with these earlier episode and once you start understanding Gate travel your mind does wonder about all these catastrophic situations, diseases and life forms they could bring back. Makes you wonder why they don't try and setup a isolation/quarantine when teams first get back with at least blood tests and whatever else we can muster to stop possible epidemics.

Lots of hilarious Jackisms in this episode. I like how at the start they were discussing how the planets are named - as they are hard to remember.

I laughed out loud (probably a little to hard) at Jack's line at the end "Sure, if it doesn't heal properly you'll never wear that sweet little tank top number again".

A good first episode for Doctor Janet, as she helped save the day.

Hehe I wonder what Hammond did to Walter as he gave him a weird look when he came back into the control room.

Oh and RDA fantastic acting when Janet worked out that the sedative allowed him to understand and communicate with them.

Overall an interesting idea that certainly makes you think of all the what-ifs that are created with Gate travel.
    Last edited by pritnep; 25 July 2008, 05:24 AM.

Stargate SG-1 Re-Watch: Season 1, 2, 3

Comment

Originally posted by pritnep View Post
      Absolutely agree. I guess that's the idea I'm starting to get with these earlier episode and once you start understanding Gate travel your mind does wonder about all these catastrophic situations, diseases and life forms they could bring back. Makes you wonder why they don't try and setup a isolation/quarantine when teams first get back with at least blood tests and whatever else we can muster to stop possible epidemics.
      Yes. After this episode, I have always wondered why there's no quarantine time for ALL off-world travelers. Aside from medical clearance.

I remember when my dad used to work for a really huge livestock farm. It's SOP for anyone coming in from outside to go to the quarantine area first. To avoid spreading disease that may affect the livestock.

Lots of hilarious Jackisms in this episode. I like how at the start they were discussing how the planets are named - as they are hard to remember.
      Love that scene. Jack and Kowalsky bantering.

I laughed out loud (probably a little to hard) at Jack's line at the end "Sure, if it doesn't heal properly you'll never wear that sweet little tank top number again".
      Yep. The line was funny but Carter's expression was funnier for me.

A good first episode for Doctor Janet, as she helped save the day.
      She showed that napoleonic powermongers are great doctors.

Hehe I wonder what Hammond did to Walter as he gave him a weird look when he came back into the control room.
      Noticed it too? I thought maybe Hammond beaned him or something. They tend to get violent when infected with the virus.

Oh and RDA fantastic acting when Janet worked out that the sedative allowed him to understand and communicate with them.
      I was impressed with RDA's acting here. I can felt how hard Jack tried so hard to express himself, how he conveyed that he is still in there.

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake View Post
        (Weird Plot-hole)

When Teal'c came back to get blood samples he was forced to knock out two guards in order to do so. He went back to Earth and they figure out how to cure the "touched". When they came back through th gate they found Daniel and brought him back to the palace. They convince High Councilor Tuplo to allow them to take Daniel to the quarantine area.

Now this is where the bump is.

Teal'c is carrying Daniel into the quarantine area and the two guards cross their spears in order to stop Teal'c. They do this despite the fact that they both just heard Tuplo say that he could put Daniel down. Now this could have been some kind of personal grudge but the Minoan culture was a monarchy. Those guards were slaves and free will was not in the cards for those guys.

In short, why did they cross their spears?
        My guess is that the guards remembered being knocked cold by Teal'c when he came to get a blood sample. That sort of thing is guaranteed to put you off somebody, regardless what orders have been given. Snag is, when Teal'c came for the sample, the guards were protecting the entrance, which is fair enough. This time they were protecting the 'isolation ring', which doesn't make sense as there was nobody there to protect or keep from leaving.

Over all I enjoyed this episode. It showed Dr. Frasier's dedication to the members of the SGC in her determination to find a cure for the disease. It showed O'Neill's concern for the SGC in his willingness to put himself at risk in order to find and test a cure. I particularly liked Teal'c gentleness with O'Neill after the anti-histamine had been injected. The banter between the various team members was fun, too.

I also liked the way Walter looked at Hammond when he came up at the end. I wonder what had happened to cause that look. Walter was definitely checking to make sure the General was back to normal.
        C-D
        Dragon by name, Cheerful by nature

Sig by *E*K*R*

Comment

i like this epiosde my fave bit was when jack said to an infected Danial that if he keeps going like this he would have a girl on every planet. and the fack if jack has enough drugs he is able to fight the effects. Janet saves the day and about time to
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateship15 View Post
            i like this epiosde my fave bit was when jack said to an infected Danial that if he keeps going like this he would have a girl on every planet. and the fack if jack has enough drugs he is able to fight the effects. Janet saves the day and about time to
            "Daniel, you dog!"
            *snort

Comment

I loved how Janet called Teal'c Mr. Teal'c

And the best line in the ep:

Jack: Well, she tried to seduce me.

Daniel: You poor man.

Loved that!
              Trailers and PR
              Stargate: War Begins team
              http://www.moddb.com/mods/9705/stargate-mod-war-begins
              forums:
              http://stargatethewarbegins.tk/

sigpic

We will miss you Hammond of Texas!

Comment

lol yes well i don't think he didn't like it at all. did u notice that when she said i want u and asked jack if he wanted her he said not like this so he he admitted to her that he does want her normally
                sigpic

Comment

I just watched this episode, and I'm sure my comments will have been discussed already but nevermind!

The one thing that bugged me was the transformation of infected characters into the neanderthals or whatever they were supposed to be. When Daniel is encountered towards the end, the fake teeth and monobrow just look rediculous. Why would a virus cause your bone structure and folicle activity to change? It makes no sense whatsoever.

What I noticed is that it seems even the producers decided it was a step too far. I didn't see any of the base characters in quarantine with a monobrow, with one exception. When Teal'c returns with the blood, Carter is strapped to the gurney having a fit or something, but you can see her with the monobrow make-up. It seems to me her transition was supposed to have been cut out, as no close-up is ever shown of her looking like that, and in that scene she is obscured by other characters.

Maybe kissing Jack does that to you...

Comment

Originally posted by Frozen Serpent View Post
                    I just watched this episode, and I'm sure my comments will have been discussed already but nevermind!

The one thing that bugged me was the transformation of infected characters into the neanderthals or whatever they were supposed to be. When Daniel is encountered towards the end, the fake teeth and monobrow just look rediculous. Why would a virus cause your bone structure and folicle activity to change? It makes no sense whatsoever.

What I noticed is that it seems even the producers decided it was a step too far. I didn't see any of the base characters in quarantine with a monobrow, with one exception. When Teal'c returns with the blood, Carter is strapped to the gurney having a fit or something, but you can see her with the monobrow make-up. It seems to me her transition was supposed to have been cut out, as no close-up is ever shown of her looking like that, and in that scene she is obscured by other characters.

Maybe kissing Jack does that to you...

Jack's face was a bit contorted as well. I guess alien viruses just rolled like that 12 years ago...

I can imagine that kissing Jack would be powerful, but...

Comment

Jack's face did change, but mostly around the mouth. I guess they stuck some fake teeth in him. He didn't change nearly as much as Daniel did on the planet.

Comment

Such a weird episode, but I liked it a lot.

I love the part near the beginning where that guy attacks Teal'c and Teal'c blocks his punch, slams him onto the table, looks up at Hammond and says, 'I would prefer not to hurt this man!" So awesome.
                        Last edited by ZoSo; 15 September 2008, 11:13 AM.

Comment

thats my fave part
                          sigpic

Comment

Awww Jack reminds me of a little puppie when he says "experment on meh".

Comment

This is one of my favorite episodes. It's just filled with memorable lines and the acting is so good. RDA really shines when he has to have some sort of facial make-up.
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

i agreee the acting was fantastic by all the characters
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X