• Time
  • Show
Clear All

*wearily posting for the first time, and its negative!*

This episode was a tad lame for my liking. I have seen bits of SG-1 on tv,
    but have now invested in all the DVD's so i too am enjoying them all
    consecutively, in sequence.

This ep made me squirm a bit and fear for my $$$, but the show quickly
    redeemed itself, and now i'm loving it. I am used to shows with slightly more
    impressive hand to hand combat, but, that's not to worry.

Comment

OK, I have to say it, I did not like the episode Emancipation. I did however, like the characterization of Sam as a "warrior" and a leader, not just a woman. I think the plot was a tad contrived and I really think everything worked out too well, too quickly.

But that's just my opinion......not every episode can be great.
      "After all is said and done, more is said, than done." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperion
        I have seen bits of SG-1 on tv,
        but have now invested in all the DVD's so i too am enjoying them all
        consecutively, in sequence.
        Doing the same thing (only ever having seen a handful of broadcasts, now going through the DVD boxed sets in sequence).

This episode appeared to me to be a character development piece for Carter, and encapsulates the "new story every week" flavour of the first series.

Comments have been made about how Carter could beat the bad guy in the climactic fight, but couldn't beat the kid when she was kidnapped - my take is that she only fought hard and to win, when there was a lot more at stake.

What I particularly liked was where the characters started to realise the effect they were having on the locals, just by being there.

Comment

I love this episode. It has great character development for Carter; I loved the girl power in this episode

Comment

I think the only good part of this episode was when Jack traded his gun for Sam (and the fight scene at the end). So by cutting out all the crappiness, this ep would've probably been about four minutes long!
            Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini => three of the world's worst dictators.

Also failed artist, failed priest, and failed grade-school teacher.

What we should learn: Don't trust artists, be wary of priests, and fear your teachers!

Comment

Kill me now, if you wish, but I've got to say that so far, this is my favorite episode. I thought it was hilarious, I LOVED the looks on the guy's faces when they saw her. I agree on the dress though. She was dressed up too fancy considering what the other women were wearing. And I wouldn't think that a place like that would have a dress that makes you stare down a mile of clevage. What, did they have that laying around just in case some Earth women showed up? Other than that, I loved it.
              Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.
              The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.
              I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Comment

With the recent press coverage of the Kenyan leader who offered a large quantity of livestock to Bill Clinton in exchange for Chelsea's hand, I find the part in whinch Jack trades the gun for Sam a mite funnier now.

And was the guy who played Turghan in 'Elektra'? Just a thought...

Comment

Ahh, the first "planet of the week" episode. Also the first instance of mysteriously English speaking people knowing such relatively modern slang as "okay". Sam being totally uncooperative, but not in the fun way Jack can be totally uncooperative. This episode was the first to make me worry that the series couldn't keep going at the quality of the earlier episodes, but things worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by JastersLegacy
                    Kill me now, if you wish, but I've got to say that so far, this is my favorite episode. I thought it was hilarious, I LOVED the looks on the guy's faces when they saw her. I agree on the dress though. She was dressed up too fancy considering what the other women were wearing. And I wouldn't think that a place like that would have a dress that makes you stare down a mile of clevage. What, did they have that laying around just in case some Earth women showed up? Other than that, I loved it.
                    Okay...it's not my favorite...BUT I don't think it's the worst episode ever...so far that award goes to Affinity....

It wasn't the best ever, though, but it was only their third. They were still getting their sealegs for crying out loud. Some of the dialogue was forced IMHO...like Sam's uber-annoying ultrafeminist crap...WAY over the top and even Amanda found it irritating.

That all being said, there are some really cute moments and some PRICELESS MOMENTS in this episode as well...

++++++++++++++

Sam (wearing that native blue dress): Daniel, find me an anthropologist that dresses like this and I will eat this headdress.

++++++++++++++

Sam: I will not wear this thing over my face. I don't care how much embroidery it has on it. And this…dress, or whatever it's called, I mean…I can't move, I can't walk…

Jack: I don't know. (shakes his head, smirking) It…it kind of works for me. I, uh…

Daniel: It's, it's you, it's…

[Jack and Daniel exchange looks; in the background Teal'c looks from one to the other. Jack and Daniel turn to Sam and speak.]

Jack: …you.

Daniel: (a beat later) Definitely you.

++++++++++++++

Jack: All things considered…Samantha…if we have to come back here, it might be a better idea if we brought an all male team. No offense.

Sam: Well, in view of the fact that you all get to go to this party tonight and I get to stay in this…yurt that smells like rancid yak butter, none taken.

++++++++++++++

Daniel: Well…Okay, let me talk to Moughal first, this might be another misunderstanding—cultural differences.

Jack: The hell with culture; a member of my team has been neutralized. That's a hostile act.

Daniel: How is it that you always come up with the worst-case scenario?

Jack: I practice.

++++++++++++++

Turghan: Now you are Tugai, women of the forest. What can you do? Can you cook? Spin weave, make dyes?

Sam: I'm a lousy cook, and I couldn't spin weave or dye if my life depended on it. You made yourself a bad deal.

++++++++++++++

Teal'c: But what will happen to Dr. Carter tonight if we wait?

Moughal: Turghan will partake in his newest purchase.

Jack: Oh, there's not a chance in hell.

++++++++++++++

Sam (smiling broadly): What a relief. I have never been so happy to see you guys.

Jack: Oh, sure you have! Remember that time on P3X-595?

[Sam starts to lose her smile.]

Jack: You drank that stuff that made you take off…

Sam: Ahem. We won't get into that now.

++++++++++++++

Then of course Sam fighting and beating Turghan...which I thought was cool...

So sure there were several awkward beats in this episode but I give them a pass as it was one of the first and the characters were still being established...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

My main question was: Why didn't they send Sam back and deal with everything with the remaining three?
                      This was in fact the plan. Sam says that she'll just go back to the SGC and 'hope for better luck next time'. Jack says they'll all return to the SGC (presumably in the morning) and come back with an all male team. Unfortunately, she was kidnapped before morning came and they made it back to the gate.

And I'll admit it - this is one of my favourite episodes. What can I say? I'm a complete sucker for the old damsel in distress routine. And there is such a wealth of what attracts me to any show in this one - character relationship and a group of people showing they care about one another. Just makes me melt into a gooey puddle watching it. It has so many moments that I just adore from all concerned.

Sure there are problems with it here and there, a couple of points where I cringe, but they don't get in the way of enjoying it for me.

The one thing which I didn't get in this episode and would have liked to have seen, was Jack apologising to Sam for getting her into the mess in the first place and realising that he'd screwed up badly. It was his easy acceptance of her being treated differently - less than equal - from the rest of his team by the locals that led to her kidnap.

Had he stuck to his guns and insisted that she wasn't a local woman and therefore should be treated the same as the rest of SG1 or they would all leave back through the gate right there and then, then perhaps that kid wouldn't have gotten the idea that he could treat her as a native woman either.

Jack made Sam accessible to the locals by the way he allowed her to be treated. His actions in separating her from the rest of the team, putting her on a different level from himself, Daniel and Teal'c, devalued her in the eyes of the locals and put her on a level with their own women. Had them thinking of her as one of their own women. He put her in jeopardy by his actions. Granted, he was taking advice from Daniel, but I'd still have liked to have seen some acknowledgement from him at the end of the episode that the decision had been a bad one. That he'd failed in his duty of care as Sam's commanding officer.

Oh and I never found the dress surprising. Although the local women wore more subdued colours and less fancy clothing for day to day wear, I would imagine that they had fancy clothing tucked away for special festival or feasting days. What woman wouldn't? And since Sam was obviously being treated as an honoured guest, it therefore doesn't surprise me that one of the women - in fact probably the one with the highest status in the tribe, the chief's wife - given the task of loaning this honoured guest decent clothing, would loan her her fanciest dress as a mark of respect and honour, rather than some ordinary day wear.

Overall, I just love this one to bits. So sue me.

Albion
                      Last edited by Albion; 14 August 2005, 05:06 PM.
                      Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I know alot of people hate this episode, but I didn't actually think it was that bad! It's by no means my favourite ep, but it did have some fun moments in. It was only the 3rd episode afterall....cut the show some slack

Comment

The 3rd episode and the first time we see SG-1 offworld together as a team (including Teal'C) it was well written i thought!

Comment

Yeah well take into account they did not set up the characters real well and it was probably just testing the waters.........but bad eppy IMHO

Comment

it was an ok episode..i liked when same kicked butt and when she had on the dress and all the guys were googly eyes over her, that was funny! i missed the blood and gore stuff though =(

Comment

oops, i ment sam* =p

Comment

Working...
                                X