No announcement yet.

Emancipation (103)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I originally remembered this episode as "one of the boring ones" however when I first watched SG-1 on TV all the way through and my past DVD viewings I was much younger then I know am - in short I was wrong.

It was an interesting episode with an interesting concept for Gate travel, do they have the right to interfere with other cultures and tell them what is right/wrong? Unlike Star Trek's Federation the SGC (at least yet) doesn't have a Prime Directive so as we saw it was left at the digression of the team commanding officer.

I loved how they started the episode, almost a showing off of the Gate and special effects but it was very cool. GI-Carter she kicked male behind. Hehe I love the conversation at the end; Jack "damn guess I'm going to have to cancel that Oprah interview" Teal'c "What is an Oprah" HAHA!

Funny how Daniel (as the civilian) only have a sidearm initially and later becomes a formidable warrior. And Teal'c the strong, silent warrior of few words but when he speaks they are good or funny.

I had to laugh when Daniel and Jack were looking at Carter after she got changed into the clothes of the people, probably the first time they had seen her out of uniform - Teal'c just looking puzzeled at both of them going gaga. The few smirks and almost flirty remarks from Jack probably shows the first bit of interest between the two - if you want to look at it that way anyway.

Overall another good episode, finished Disc 1.
    Last edited by pritnep; 25 July 2008, 04:23 AM.

Stargate SG-1 Re-Watch: Season 1, 2, 3

Comment

Originally posted by pritnep View Post
      It was an interesting episode with an interesting concept for Gate travel, do they have the right to interfere with other cultures and tell them what is right/wrong? Unlike Star Trek's Federation the SGC (at least yet) doesn't have a Prime Directive so as we saw it was left at the digression of the team commanding officer.
      The first of many episodes like this.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel View Post
        I thought this episode was kinda silly. It was also a bit pointless, other than showing that Carter was bowing to no man, other than through rank.

It did show that the Tau'ri (In this case SG-1.) was gunna be stirring up trouble though.
        Why did you think it was silly? Women shouldn't bow down to men and Sam was just letting them know that...

Comment

Originally posted by ValaDee View Post
          Why did you think it was silly? Women shouldn't bow down to men and Sam was just letting them know that...
          No, this Emancipation picspam is what is silly.

Comment

this was a great episode i just love sam in a dress she altho she's a tomboy and her trying to do things a girl in those customs would do like cooking
            sigpic

Comment

Im sure this has been brought up but they should have just wiped the damn sexist jerks out of existence. Can't have war if they're all dead.

To hell with cultural freedom, line them up and ask each of them in turn i their women can be free. Each guy who says no, shoot him in the face. Problem solved, everybody wins.

Comment

Yes, that's a brilliant way to solve problems isn't it, just kill everyone who doesn't agree with your ways.

Change takes time, the way the women where treated is wrong by our standards but not by theirs. With their exposure to different ways and ideas change will happen.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Esquin View Post
                  Im sure this has been brought up but they should have just wiped the damn sexist jerks out of existence. Can't have war if they're all dead.

To hell with cultural freedom, line them up and ask each of them in turn i their women can be free. Each guy who says no, shoot him in the face. Problem solved, everybody wins.
                  Uh, everyone wins except for the dead guys
                  "Wøøf!"

Comment

Originally posted by Esquin View Post

So you prefer murder to sexism?

Comment

Originally posted by Muh_tuttles View Post
                      Uh, everyone wins except for the dead guys

Comment

Originally posted by hermajesty View Post
                        This episode left me thinking "what a waste of 45 minutes". The theme was very tacky girl-power, not at all subtle. It bore no relation to the previous episodes, and the plot was a little suspect. If she could beat the chief in the knife fight then why couldnt she beat the teenage boy when he took her captive. In fact, the only things that redeemed this episode were a couple of good jokes. Hopefully this was the low-point of season 1: surely it can only get better?
                        Honestly, this is not that unbelievable. First of all there was more than one guy there when she was kidnapped. Besides that it was the middle of the night and she was probably still half asleep. Also when she was fighting Turghan, she had a weapon and the attack was not a surprise. And finally, her fight with Turghan was not just to save herself. She was also fighting for Nya. I do not understand why everyone hates this episode so much. It was not THAT bad.

Comment

i like this episode yea the alian world was a bit sexist but so was this world at one time it just shows how far behind us this world was and sam moved them forward by standing up for women.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SG Master View Post
                            Honestly, this is not that unbelievable. First of all there was more than one guy there when she was kidnapped. Besides that it was the middle of the night and she was probably still half asleep. Also when she was fighting Turghan, she had a weapon and the attack was not a surprise. And finally, her fight with Turghan was not just to save herself. She was also fighting for Nya. I do not understand why everyone hates this episode so much. It was not THAT bad.
                            it was an amazing episode it established sam as a worthy member of the team

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake View Post
                              I dunno I don't think carter had found herself in this episode the true carter came a couple episodes later
                              Eh. I don't think that "The First Commandment" had the "true Carter", as you put it. However, you're approximately right.
                              sigpic
                              Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

It was a good episode because sam shows us what shes got. It had a good morale to it which was great. Never mess with a woman.
                                Some say that he has only one ear.
                                And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
                                All we know is he's called
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X