No announcement yet.

Emancipation (103)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are still a couple of bits I like from this one: the look of shock on the men's faces when seeing Sam in a dress for the first time, and Teal'c's "What is an Oprah?" line.
    sigpic
    Please don't laugh, this is one of my first attempts at a banner.

Comment

Because it seemed appropriate, I'm quoting myself:

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
      I first watched this episode a couple of months ago. (I started watching SG-1 a couple of months ago and just finished watching all the episodes so far.) Before rewatching it, all I seemed to remember were most of the cringe-worthy stuff. (I didn't become a fan of the show until I was about halfway thru season 1.) Looking at it now, I'm noticing a lot more stuff that I enjoy about it:

--First time I watched this ep, I remember thinking that the blue dress was hideous - which on 2nd viewing, I don't think it is. The headdress is still pretty bad, but again - not quite as bad as I remember it.
      --What really makes the blue dress tolerable - the *awesome* reactions from the guys when they see her in the dress. Come on! How cute was that?!?! As someone else noted, it's fun to see Jack so amused. He really seems to be digging Carter in the dress.
      --The dialogue wasn't always fantastic, but you gotta love Carter's defiance and her spirit. She says, "I'm a warrior and a scholar" and I just thought, "Yes. And that's why I love you."
      --Carter kicking butt in the fight. Sweet.
      --And someone else pointed out in their post - it's nice to see SG-1 affect a positive change after visiting.
      Spoiler:
      It seems that there were many more episodes of how SG-1 had a screwed up and made things worse on different worlds.

So, I'm in the camp that really liked this episode. It is in no way the worst, IMHO.
      I suppose I'm one of those people that mostly looks for the glimmers of good rather than focusing on all the stuff I don't like. That's part of the beauty of DVDs - you can just skip over what you don't enjoy.
      sigpic
      Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
        I suppose I'm one of those people that mostly looks for the glimmers of good rather than focusing on all the stuff I don't like. That's part of the beauty of DVDs - you can just skip over what you don't enjoy.
        I'd go with that. Despite the naff bits (of which there are plenty!) it has its moments, so I am prepared to sit through it. Occasionally.

I'm not so enamoured of the 'Warrior and Scholar' line because it sounds so incredibly cliche'd - but on the other hand, what else could she say that would have made sense to the people she was talking to? Besides, it's true - she's a soldier and an academic.

I just wish she could have been given a way to express it a bit less, well, naffly.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka's_Mum View Post
          I'm not so enamoured of the 'Warrior and Scholar' line because it sounds so incredibly cliche'd - but on the other hand, what else could she say that would have made sense to the people she was talking to? Besides, it's true - she's a soldier and an academic.

I just wish she could have been given a way to express it a bit less, well, naffly.
          I agree - but then, she was 'thinking on her feet' and was also pretty het up, and a whole mix of other emotions too. It would hardly have been natural if she'd come out with the perfect speech.
          sigpic
          Please don't laugh, this is one of my first attempts at a banner.

Comment

This episode is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Kudos to Amanda Tapping for saying "rancid yak butter" with a straight face.

4/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2...ncipation.html
            My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
            http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I thought this episode was one of the best for a Season 1 episode. I'll be honest, when I think of Mongol men, I always envision the worst kind of chauvinistic male, like Turghan. I was pleasantly surprised by the concept of a male like Moughal, that had all the power his culture could give him, yet still believed in loving one woman and respecting women in general, even when he didn't have to. Now that is something that impresses me. It was a bonus that Sam Carter used her basic training from the military to kick Turghan's behind. I don't care what anyone says, no one, man or woman, could have won a fight against a Mongol without proper fighter training. That fight truly established Sam Carter's military aspect.

And I will never believe that any society that does NOT treat and respect men and women as equals in all social and economic aspects, will eventually become a truly great one ever.
              Last edited by starshineRoxie; 10 June 2008, 03:10 PM.
              StarshineRoxie
              A woman that allows herself the balance of cool wisdom and strength of heart.
              sigpic

Comment

Poor Sam. Forced to wear that horrible dress and head dress. LOL! and of course being treated like an object.

But then she got even in the end so... Go Sam!

Mongols know English! Wow.

Comment

At the end of the episode they clearly establish that by law another tribal leader can protest the stoning of a person. Because Sam said that she was a leader among her people, she could protest the stoning of Nya. This protest would lead to a fight to the death with th tribal leader who authorized the stoning.

Now my question is, why did Jack stand by and allow Sam, one of his subordinates to fight Turghan when in fact he is the "Tribal Leader" and it is his responsibility. Jack has years of special ops training and despite the fact that Sam has military training it seemed out of character for Jack to take the risk.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake View Post
                    At the end of the episode they clearly establish that by law another tribal leader can protest the stoning of a person. Because Sam said that she was a leader among her people, she could protest the stoning of Nya. This protest would lead to a fight to the death with th tribal leader who authorized the stoning.

Now my question is, why did Jack stand by and allow Sam, one of his subordinates to fight Turghan when in fact he is the "Tribal Leader" and it is his responsibility. Jack has years of special ops training and despite the fact that Sam has military training it seemed out of character for Jack to take the risk.
                    Because earlier, when trying to trade for Sam, Daniel told Turghan that Sam was their leader.

Mughal: "He speaks truly. In the land of Ogada, the women are as ours were long ago."

Daniel: "That and more! Carter is our chieftain, our people need her."

(Credit to RepliCartertje for the beautiful sig and to Mala for smilies.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
                      Because earlier, when trying to trade for Sam, Daniel told Turghan that Sam was their leader.

Mughal: "He speaks truly. In the land of Ogada, the women are as ours were long ago."

Daniel: "That and more! Carter is our chieftain, our people need her."
                      If you would have read my entire post you would have seen that I touched on that, but who is to say that Jack is not a leader of a different tribe? If I was Jack I would have said I am the Military chieftain and she is a spiritual leader for us. Therefore I am going to fight you.

It is not in Jack's character to stand by and watch as Carter almost got her head chopped off.
                      sigpic

Comment

If you would have read my entire post you would have seen that I touched on that, but who is to say that Jack is not a leader of a different tribe? If I was Jack I would have said I am the Military chieftain and she is a spiritual leader for us. Therefore I am going to fight you.

It is not in Jack's character to stand by and watch as Carter almost got her head chopped off.
                        Try reading my post again...Daniel said she was their leader, which included Jack and Teal'c as well, as they were standing with Daniel.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
                          Try reading my post again...Daniel said she was their leader, which included Jack and Teal'c as well, as they were standing with Daniel.
                          I took it as meaning their people in general.

However, for the sake of argument Daniel could have been saying she is our spiritual leader. Besides you saw how many loopholes there are in tribal law, it wouldn't be hard to convince them of the fact that jack was their military leader. Face it proving something is possible is a lot easier than proving that it is impossible. Your saying that it is impossible that Turgan would have fought Jack I'm saying it is completely in the realm of possibility. Your attempt to prove me wrong is nearly impossible.

All I am saying is that it Jack normally would take all responsibility.

Like in a who should I shoot first sittuation, Jack would always say shoot me.
                          sigpic

Comment

I took it as meaning their people in general.

However, for the sake of argument Daniel could have been saying she is our spiritual leader. Besides you saw how many loopholes there are in tribal law, it wouldn't be hard to convince them of the fact that jack was their military leader. Face it proving something is possible is a lot easier than proving that it is impossible. Your saying that it is impossible that Turgan would have fought Jack I'm saying it is completely in the realm of possibility. Your attempt to prove me wrong is nearly impossible.

All I am saying is that it Jack normally would take all responsibility.

Like in a who should I shoot first sittuation, Jack would always say shoot me.
                            I'm not saying they couldn't have convinced them into letting Jack fight somehow but all I'm saying is that Daniel said Sam was their (SG1's/their people's) leader.

At the start of the fight Jack didn't think it was necessary to make up some half-baked story, so that he could fight Turghan. Like you I also believe that Jack wouldn't put Sam's life in danger if he could help it, but the thing is, is that a) he probably thought she could take Turghan (or at least had a chance) and b) that even if she did lose, she'd just be a little roughed up. And at least he supported a member of his team and wasn't always mothering them.

He didn't expect the fight to be 'to the death'. And when he realised it was he tried to stop it, but Turghan's men held knives to SG1's and Munghal's throats. He knew that if he carried on trying to stop the fight, Daniel, Munghal or Teal'c could've gotten hurt or died...and instead of taking the risk of trying to convince Turghan at that time that 'actually hang on a minute, I'm a different kinda leader so fight me instead' he knew that if Sam was actually in serious danger...as in 'knife to her throat, take your last breath' kinda thing, all he had to do was put a bullet through Turghan's head...or anywhere (hence, showing a clip of Jack's finger on the trigger); that would be distraction enough for Sam to reclaim the upper hand, if Turghan wasn't dead.

And I'm sure the guys with knives would've backed off after seeing what their weapons could do as well. No harm no foul. So IMO, everything Jack did was in character.

Comment

Does anybody else think that in the beginning when Abu was running from the dog's that it was quite a coincidence that they had just stepped out of the gate? However the coincidences didn't stop there two men on horse show up, but wait then the leader of the entire village shows up on his horse. I mean couldn't they have just walked into town like normal intergalactic travelers.
                              sigpic

Comment

Does anybody else think that in the beginning when Abu was running from the dog's that it was quite a coincidence that they had just stepped out of the gate? However the coincidences didn't stop there two men on horse show up, but wait then the leader of the entire village shows up on his horse. I mean couldn't they have just walked into town like normal intergalactic travelers.
                                When Abu shows up, SG-1 hadn't just stepped out of the gate. They had walked some distance from the gate and were commenting on the lack of evidence of people. I agree that it was quite a coincidence that men showed up on horses. (I thought it was three, not two, plus the chieftain, but I could be wrong.)

I'm not sure what the writers/producers were trying to do with this episode. In fact, it made me think they weren't sure what to do with Sam. In the pilot episode, they had her doing an 'I'm as tough as you' speech. In this episode, first they dress her up to look ultra feminine, then they have her beating a man in hand to hand combat. It's probably not until episodes 5 (The First Commandment) and 6 (Cold Lazarus) that Carter gets to be herself.

I like episodes that rely more on characters and story than on special effects. This one was too uneven to rank as a favourite, though.
                                C-D
                                Dragon by name, Cheerful by nature

Sig by *E*K*R*

Comment

Working...
                                X