Children of the Gods (101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post

It must not sound as dumb in German...Not even Tapping liked that line!
    I don't know how that line sounds in German because I always watch my DVDs in English and I didn't see the eps on regular TV. I liked the lines!
    Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    That whole 'reproductive organ angle' imo was just hamstrung into the show, just for the feminists out there..
    I don't know, I am not a feminist but I still think that line is funny!
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Comment

That whole 'reproductive organ angle' imo was just hamstrung into the show, just for the feminists out there..
      To be perfectly hones, no feminist would find that line even remotely funny. I don't know what they were thinking putting it in, in the first place.

Besides, did you even notice how Carter was always dressed exactly the same as the boys, except in her dress uniform. There was nothing feminine about it. There isn't anything feminine about any of the military uniforms I might add -- so no clue how you come to feminism is to blame.

Except Vala, she had more feminin greens.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Look, Anja said she liked the line and that no discussion was necessary. Most of us don't like it, but she's entitled to her opinion without being badgered for it.

Seaboe
        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          To be perfectly hones, no feminist would find that line even remotely funny. I don't know what they were thinking putting it in, in the first place.

Besides, did you even notice how Carter was always dressed exactly the same as the boys, except in her dress uniform. There was nothing feminine about it. There isn't anything feminine about any of the military uniforms I might add -- so no clue how you come to feminism is to blame.

Except Vala, she had more feminin greens.

I don't think that word means what you think it means
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

I don't think that word means what you think it means
            Which word?

Comment

Shouldn't there be a scene where somebody actually cares about the blonde Sgt who got abducted?

Comment

Originally posted by hammerbutt View Post
                Shouldn't there be a scene where somebody actually cares about the blonde Sgt who got abducted?
                Red shirt!

Comment

Originally posted by hammerbutt View Post
                  Yes, there should have been, if only in a throwaway line. But they weren't thinking about reality when they wrote it, they were thinking about Drah-ma.

Seaboe
                  If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

It was recon on an alien world......where are you gonna start looking for her? Sorry to say but she is MIA.

Comment

Children of the Gods picks up where 1994 Stargate left off, albeit approximately a year later.

The gate is still sitting inside Cheyenne Mountain (previously known as Creed Mountain) and the military is shipping out personnel because the project's been closed down and all it's doing is use too much money for not being useful. But that's about to change when the gate is activated from the other side and the 5 card playing soldiers suddenly find themselves under attack.

One of them is kidnapped and before we know it Jack O'Neill is back in the mountain, watching General Hammond's subordinates prepare a Mark 5 nuclear weapon, to be send through the gate to the coordinates they went to last to make sure there's no coming back to Earth for anyone.

By this time Jack has to confess his report might not have been entirely honest and that Daniel and the people of Abydos are in fact still alive, and that it was only Ra's ship that was blown to smithereens (I mean, that was one spectacular BOOM!).
                      He manages to convince General Hammond to give him a chance, and after the box of tissues comes back empty, they are allowed to return to Abydos, joined by a new team member who also happens to be a total geek -- Jack's favorite kind of people.

The Abydonians are happy to see their old friends, and Daniel shows them what he has discovered to be a map with lots of places to go to. The stargate doesn't just go one place, it goes to and from a lot of places if you keep the stellar drift in mind, that is.

Unfortunately, right around that same time the jaffa come to Abydos and kidnap Daniel's wife Sha're and Skaa'ra, and kill a few others. It's also the second time Teal'c is confronted with the weapons from Earth. Is that doubt in the man's eyes?

O'Neill gains permission to take a team to the coordinates Ferretti managed to memorize, in order to gain information on this new enemy. Daniel immediately starts making new friends, and they are brought to the city of Chulak (although Chulak could also mean house, or many houses, who knows) -- to chose.

However, at the sight of Sha're, now host to Apophis' queen Amaunet, Daniel ruins the moment and they get jailed for their efforts.

Let's rewind to that nude scene that was cut from the director's cut. I never thought anything wrong with it, or found it awkward. In fact, to me it showed the vulnerability of the humans towards the Goa'uld master race. When we are naked, we are at our most vulnerable. I thought it was poetic.

Anyway... fast forward again...

So, stuck in that prison, with all the other people, you just know something bad is about to happen. Skaa'ra gets chosen instead of Daniel, who throws himself forward. Maybe if he hadn't, Skaa'ra wouldn't have been chosen either but that's just speculation on my part. It would maybe not have placed attention squarely on them.

"Kill the rest!" -- I told you something more bad was going to happen.

But of course, Teal'c who has been having this look in his eyes for pretty much the entire episode turns around and helps O'Neill save "these people". It's an amazing moment, and the start of a great friendship.

They haul ass to the gate. However, by that time Apophis has also made it to the gate and the transport ship conveniently changes into an attack glider and takes aim at the fleeing group. Carter is right, they are sitting ducks and the glider is picking them off two-three-four at the time, and their staff weapons aren't even making a dent.

Good thing they packed heavy armory on the F.R.E.D. cause one missile later, followed by a giant ball of fire and one disgruntled employer, the group can continue their flight towards the gate and safety. That is if General Hammond doesn't immediately follow Major Davis' reccommendation to close the gate's iris and lock them out. It really is touch-and-go there for a minute.

They manage to get most of the people through the gate unharmed, but do bring back an unwanted guest -- even though they won't know about it until the next episode.

Children of the Gods changes between action packed and quiet moments, and I really like that. You get pulled into the story and it moves forward at a steady pace, leading up to a grand finale. Lots of character interactions which are ranging from hilarious to awesome. Carter does have a stick up her ass when she first walks in, but she thaws out quickly. She's never going to be a favorite character (doesn't mean I don't like her, I do), not then and not now.

It was a good start to a very entertaining show.

Originally posted by LightofXion View Post
                      It was recon on an alien world......where are you gonna start looking for her? Sorry to say but she is MIA.
                      Needle in a very large haystack...

I promised I'd drop some fun stuff as well... so without further ado, I give you the Children of the Gods Quiz & Jigsaw (at least, I hope it works, on both accounts).

How would you rate SG-1's "Children of the Gods?"

Excellent
                      Good
                      Fair
                      Poor
                      Terrible

Comment

Great pilot episode. I watched the original Showtime version. I must say, I didn't get into the show until
                        it was established on the SciFi Channel so the nude scene was quite a HELLO! for me when I caught up on DVD. I do think it was a powerful statement on how invasive the Goa'uld are to the hosts.

Excellent episode, especially for a pilot.

Got a hundred on the quiz. (Though, technically there were 0 "soldiers" playing cards)
                        Last edited by mooseman; 15 October 2017, 05:58 PM.

Comment

28 Minutes on this jigsaw....>.>
                          By Nolamom
                          sigpic

Comment

But that's about to change when the gate is activated from the other side and the 5 card playing soldiers suddenly find themselves under attack.
                            One thing i always wondered. Did any of the survivors (iirc there was 2) face punishment for dereliction of duty?

He manages to convince General Hammond to give him a chance, and after the box of tissues comes back empty, they are allowed to return to Abydos, joined by a new team member who also happens to be a total geek -- Jack's favorite kind of people.
                            I always laugh at the initial introduction of Sam to Jack..

The Abydonians are happy to see their old friends, and Daniel shows them what he has discovered to be a map with lots of places to go to. The stargate doesn't just go one place, it goes to and from a lot of places if you keep the stellar drift in mind, that is.
                            Woohoo.. Plot points for a whole slew of new missions (episodes)!!!

It's also the second time Teal'c is confronted with the weapons from Earth. Is that doubt in the man's eyes?
                            Doubt sure.. BUT it's also puzzlement.

However, at the sight of Sha're, now host to Apophis' queen Amaunet, Daniel ruins the moment and they get jailed for their efforts.
                            Can anyone blame him?!

So, stuck in that prison, with all the other people, you just know something bad is about to happen. Skaa'ra gets chosen instead of Daniel, who throws himself forward. Maybe if he hadn't, Skaa'ra wouldn't have been chosen either but that's just speculation on my part. It would maybe not have placed attention squarely on them.
                            I wonder, HAD Skarr'a not been chosen, would things have played out the way they did at the end of the season, when Apophis came to earth?

But of course, Teal'c who has been having this look in his eyes for pretty much the entire episode turns around and helps O'Neill save "these people". It's an amazing moment, and the start of a great friendship.
                            I always laughed at that combat as those goon Jaffa seem to just STAND there expecting to get shot.. I don't even remember a single one getting a shot off in return. A few did ready their weapons though.

Children of the Gods changes between action packed and quiet moments, and I really like that. You get pulled into the story and it moves forward at a steady pace, leading up to a grand finale. Lots of character interactions which are ranging from hilarious to awesome. Carter does have a stick up her ass when she first walks in, but she thaws out quickly. She's never going to be a favorite character (doesn't mean I don't like her, I do), not then and not now.
                            Speak for yourself. I loved how sam matured from this early episode all the way to S10 and then into atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by mooseman View Post
                              Got a hundred on the quiz. (Though, technically there were 0 "soldiers" playing cards)
                              True, there weren't any soldiers. I shall have fix that to Airforce personnel.

28 Minutes on this jigsaw....>.>
                              I think I set the puzzle difficulty to too high. I'm sorry, I'm still working out how the online software works. Thanks for playing though.

One thing i always wondered. Did any of the survivors (iirc there was 2) face punishment for dereliction of duty?
                              2 survivors -- must fix that too.

Creating a quiz at 2 in the morning, is clearly not a good idea.

Doubt sure.. BUT it's also puzzlement.
                              Yes, puzzlement -- not doubt, that.

I wonder, HAD Skarr'a not been chosen, would things have played out the way they did at the end of the season, when Apophis came to earth?
                              I've never before gave it much thought but it suddenly struck me this time that if Daniel hadn't attempted to get himself chosen, he wouldn't have put the attention squarely on them. It might have prevented Skaa'ra from being chosen, and I imagine a whole slew of events would have gone entirely different after that.

I always laughed at that combat as those goon Jaffa seem to just STAND there expecting to get shot.. I don't even remember a single one getting a shot off in return. A few did ready their weapons though.
                              Stargate's very own troopers.

Speak for yourself. I loved how sam matured from this early episode all the way to S10 and then into atlantis.
                              Oh no, I didn't mean there was no development. Gosh no, plenty development. I was just never able to relate to Carter and as a character she didn't click with me -- doesn't mean I hate her or dislike her. I just never took the character the way I did to others, like Daniel for example.

Comment

The Jaffa do get some shots off, only they shoot unarmed prisoners instead of the guys shooting back.
                                And you gotta consider that the last thing they would probably think would happen is their boss would start killing them.

BTW, in the movie it was "Creek" Mountain, not "Creed" Mountain.
                                Didnt want to say in the other thread because it would spoil the quiz.

Comment

Working...
                                X