This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blueiris
    The whole engagement and Jack's reaction to the ring, IMO, were completely out of character. I can't begin to find good reasoning in them.
    Yeah, Sam character took a big hit on that one.
    Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue
      Sam had been taking hits for two years-and I cannot believe that Jack would have let her go like that. I wish that scene in Threads between
      Spoiler:
      Jack and Jacob
      had been left in-it would have explained some stuff-but then-this is those guys we are expecting to be real.
      Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

You really think so? I don't know. She laid it on the table for Jack. He turned her down. I think it was definitely a powerful moment of conflict (dramatically speaking), but I don't necessarily see it as out of character for either of them. Not a happy moment, but not a degrading one. Sam's character isn't overtly adversarial, and she was really hoping Jack would say something to stop her. When he didn't - she "sucked it up" and tried to deal. That is what I think Sam would do. It isn't the happy outcome some might have wanted, but dramatically speaking, it's true to her character. Slide right back into "denial" mode. Where it's safe. And doesn't hurt.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
          She laid it on the table for Jack.
          I don't know that Jack knew what the hell was going on. It was a weird scene.

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal
            I don't know that Jack knew what the hell was going on. It was a weird scene.
            Jack's not really that dense. He just pretends to be. He knew. I never doubted that, as a viewer.

Comment

You really think so? I don't know. She laid it on the table for Jack. He turned her down. I think it was definitely a powerful moment of conflict (dramatically speaking), but I don't necessarily see it as out of character for either of them. Not a happy moment, but not a degrading one. Sam's character isn't overtly adversarial, and she was really hoping Jack would say something to stop her. When he didn't - she "sucked it up" and tried to deal. That is what I think Sam would do. It isn't the happy outcome some might have wanted, but dramatically speaking, it's true to her character. Slide right back into "denial" mode. Where it's safe. And doesn't hurt.
              No, I meant
              Spoiler:
              the acceptence scene and engagement. Accepting the proposal and making out at a crime scene. Everyone knew she was going to dump Pete at the end, so it just made her look bad.
              Last edited by Rogue; 27 September 2005, 07:20 AM.
              Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Jack's not really that dense. He just pretends to be. He knew. I never doubted that, as a viewer.
                Which makes it all the more doubtful as a scene. To me, anyway.
                sigpic
                ~ ~ ~mala\suekay sig ~ ~ ~ *Thanks to Mala50 for any caps I post & for her "crankies"*

Comment

Still, if she wanted him to tell her what to do, she could have made it easier for him.

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal
                    Still, if she wanted him to tell her what to do, she could have made it easier for him.
                    I don't think she should depend on him to tell her what to do. She should marry Pete if she loved him enough. But she didn't. If was just all wrong on so many levels.
                    sigpic
                    ~ ~ ~mala\suekay sig ~ ~ ~ *Thanks to Mala50 for any caps I post & for her "crankies"*

Comment

I don't think she should depend on him to tell her what to do. She should marry Pete if she loved him enough. But she didn't. If was just all wrong on so many levels.
                      Yeah, it's probably not a good sign when you decide to marry by default.

Comment

Yes, exactly. It was wrong. Sam made a mistake. A big one. Huge. Monumental. It was a poor decision made due to the fact that her judgement was clouded by hurt. That's a character flaw. It's pure conflict, and conflict engenders drama. That's how stories get interesting. Tension is the character catalyst we all love to hate. But it's what drives the whole shebang when it comes to storytelling.

Comment

I believe he knew too. But why didn't he step up to the plate? Was he waiting on Sam to say something, was it the Regs? It wasn't that long ago she was trying to tell him her feelings and he said "I know".

Rogue

Comment

Yes, exactly. It was wrong. Sam made a mistake. A big one. Huge. Monumental. It was a poor decision made due to the fact that her judgement was clouded by hurt. That's a character flaw. It's pure conflict, and conflict engenders drama. That's how stories get interesting. Tension is the character catalyst we all love to hate. But it's what drives the whole shebang when it comes to storytelling.
                            While that's true, a lot of producers seem to think that it's impossible to have a good romance without involving 'others'.

Comment

I believe he knew too. But why didn't he step up to the plate? Was he waiting on Sam to say something, was it the Regs? It wasn't that long ago she was trying to tell him her feelings and he said "I know".
                              I honestly believe Jack never felt he was good enough for Sam. That and the regs are what I always thought kept Jack passive. However, once Sam let him know that his feelings were returned (which he professed in D&C), something should have happened between them. Words should have been spoken. And by words, I mean sentences.
                              sigpic

Comment

I honestly believe Jack never felt he was good enough for Sam. That and the regs are what I always thought kept Jack passive. However, once Sam let him know that his feelings were returned (which he professed in D&C), something should have happened between them. Words should have been spoken. And by words, I mean sentences.
                                Well, I am with Rosemary. They should have left the Jack/Jacob scene in Threads.

Rogue

Comment

Working...
                                X