Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick fly-by post! I'm catching up with you (as usual), and I still need to reserve a flight for Vancouver tonight...sigh...RDA...sigh...

Anyway, I love you all, and I just dropped by to say:

Congratulations, chelle db, on 5,700 posts!!!

Congratulations, starlover1990, on 5,400 posts!!!

Congratulations, atlantis_babe34, on 2,600 posts!!!

Congratulations, DutchIndeed, on 1,900 posts!!!

Congratulations, BrenRen, on 1,200 posts!!!

Comment

Originally posted by a. loquita View Post
      Hi

Newbie here (I feel so virgin!!!) If you’ve all discussed this at length then feel free to chastise me. But on the off chance...

Question for y'all that watched Sam for years on SG-1 and now are watching her on Atlantis... am I crazy??? Does Carter’s voice seem different? I don’t know, maybe more scratchy or lower in tone or something? Then I noticed in BAMSR last week that when she started spouting science over the radios to McKay near the end suddenly she sounded exactly the same Sam I'd always known and loved! I wonder if this is an acting choice that AT is making to show the differences of "Carter in command" vs "Carter the Scientist." I know much has been made of her feeling like it’s a different character. Rightly so in some ways. I know when I made a big career move 2 years ago I felt totally out of my element and probably acted a bit different at my new place of employment.

Or maybe I’m nuts. Which is totally possible. Wondering what other people think?
      Oh, hurrah! You came! Family, let me introduce a. loquita...the author I mentioned to you recently. I know you'll make her feel welcome while I catch up! Oh, wait...I can do something too...

Welcome, a. loquita!!!

Comment

Hi

Newbie here (I feel so virgin!!!) If you’ve all discussed this at length then feel free to chastise me. But on the off chance...

Question for y'all that watched Sam for years on SG-1 and now are watching her on Atlantis... am I crazy??? Does Carter’s voice seem different? I don’t know, maybe more scratchy or lower in tone or something? Then I noticed in BAMSR last week that when she started spouting science over the radios to McKay near the end suddenly she sounded exactly the same Sam I'd always known and loved! I wonder if this is an acting choice that AT is making to show the differences of "Carter in command" vs "Carter the Scientist." I know much has been made of her feeling like it’s a different character. Rightly so in some ways. I know when I made a big career move 2 years ago I felt totally out of my element and probably acted a bit different at my new place of employment.

Or maybe I’m nuts. Which is totally possible. Wondering what other people think?
        Welcome! I've seen your fics over at fanfiction.com and I've enjoyed them. Hope you stick around.

I've noticed a bit about Sam changing her voice. I wasn't able to quiet discribe the difference, just that she was speaking different. But I think you're right, she's devoloping her "Command Voice".

Congrats to all the milestoners ^^

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
          You scored as a Janet Fraiser

Janet Fraiser 80%
          Daniel Jackson 70%
          General Hammond 65%
          Sam Carter 65%
          Jonas Quinn 60%
          Teal'c 45%
          Jack O'Neill 40%

I'm Janet! Yay for the nuturing side of me! (I get kidded all the time that I'm too much of a "mom" even at school)
          Do you know how many times I get called mom at school?

I really need to go back and watch that one. I don't even recall a fishing invite!

I'm with Jena on the night. I got about 2 hours sleep last night due to a bad toothache and I'm exhausted. I ended up getting up this morning at 3:30 just cause I couldn't sleep.
          There's an invite and Jack was hot and Sam refused him just like always...and I'm too lazy to pull it out again. Hope you sleep better tonight...hope I do...hope we ALL do!
          Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post
          The one that originally aired was a 90 minute ep. It has the *cough*bedroomscene*cough* with Jack/Kerry in it
          I don't know that ship. That's not the ship I'm looking for....

Originally posted by Gatetrixer View Post
          It was in the "sides" that someone posted on here (in the summer, I think) that Jack says "I've thought about it." But in the ep we watched in the US he said "again." Who knows if that was one of RDA's famous changing of the dialogue or if it really was changed by the writer or director. I would have loved to hear "I've thought about it" since that would have been shippy. The antis would have had a hard time changing the meaning of that.
          Yep. Wow.
          Hi

Hey there! Welcome! I do think Sam's voice is a bit different...but I think I noticed something before SGA, back when she was on SG-1...and I have a few thoughts as to why, but someone will answer better than me so I won't even try.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
            Oh, hurrah! You came! Family, let me introduce a. loquita...the author I mentioned to you recently. I know you'll make her feel welcome while I catch up! Oh, wait...I can do something too...

Welcome, a. loquita!!!
            Welcome, a. loquita!

Thanks, sueKay!

Thanks, Mala!

Comment

Hi

Welcome, welcome a. loquita...You do know I've read ALL your fics, yes?...Love them with a passion...WTG!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post
                The one that originally aired was a 90 minute ep. It has the *cough*bedroomscene*cough* with Jack/Kerry in it as well as Sam trying to avoid talking about "picking flowers" with Pete during a briefing with Jacob and Jack. The "edited" version...which is the only one that airs on tv anymore...has these scenes cut out and runs 1 hour with commercials (~ 40 minutes w/o)
                O_O Holy crap! I'm soglad I have the shortened version!
                sigpic

You ended that sentence with a preposition! You *******!!

Comment

Hi

Welcome!

Yes...I agree...Sam's voice is different, ever since SG1 S9. It's more...I guess I'd describe it as, low-key...softer...thoughtful, rather than urgent? Does that make sense? As for why...well...a couple of thoughts...as for a RL reason...well, I hate to say it, but as we get older our voices change...also, pregnancy does strange things to ones body overall...personally, I know my voice has changed dramatically in the past 2 kids/15 years, so perhaps AT's voice has just undergone one of those transformations. From a character standpoint, Sam's role has changed a lot in the past few years...she's not the scientist whiz-kid anymore...she's the seasoned veteran of three wars against three intractable enemies...head of R&D at Area 51...commander of SG1 and now Atlantis, so I think there may be some element of "Commander" v. "footsoldier" to it as well. Then there are a few, er, personal reasons which may explain why Sam might have a softer, more contented (could we say? ) voice...and well...I think we could maybe guess at why....

Spoiler:
                  sigpic

Comment

Uh... Random OT:

Spoiler:
                    I'm working on a new mood theme for my LJ. Anyone know where I can find some good pictures of Star Trek: The Next Generation?
                    sigpic

You ended that sentence with a preposition! You *******!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sarai View Post
                      I'm getting a very guttery feeling just looking at it...is that wrong?

(((L.A.D))) Hyperactive kids...not cool!

Random OT:

Spoiler:
                      Went to see No Country For Old Mentonight. For those of you who haven't seen it, it's absolutely AMAZIN! Fantastic storyline and some great use of sound and arty cinematic conventions without being pretentious, as the risk of sounding like an ad, get yourself to the cinema to see it asap! I will warn you though, it is pretty gory.
                      Nothing wrong at all!!!!Keep feeling guttery my very talented friend...If that's what makes you write the "HOT" stuff I just read...WOW!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ljevans View Post
                        For anyone else who was having trouble with fanfiction.net tonight - it is back online. At least it was 5 minutes ago!
                        ack! it's been having problems here and there for the past little while now...

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
                        Just a quick fly-by post! I'm catching up with you (as usual), and I still need to reserve a flight for Vancouver tonight...sigh...RDA...sigh...

Anyway, I love you all, and I just dropped by to say:

Congratulations, chelle db, on 5,700 posts!!!

Congratulations, starlover1990, on 5,400 posts!!!

Congratulations, atlantis_babe34, on 2,600 posts!!!

Congratulations, DutchIndeed, on 1,900 posts!!!

Congratulations, BrenRen, on 1,200 posts!!!
                        Congrats to y'all!

A big welcome to a. loquita!!!
                        --Kate

Comment

Originally posted by Patriot_Jackie View Post
                          O_O Holy crap! I'm soglad I have the shortened version!
                          Believe it or not, it is possible to almost talk oneself out of that scene completely if you try hard enough...and the other scenes which get left in...an extended scene which shows Pete making an a** of himself with Jacob...longer Sam/Jack, Sam/Jacob, Sam/Pete (I know...that may not sound like a good thing...but it is...you see her growing discomfort with the wedding...)...and the whole..."Go...pick flowers" exchange...oh...and Sam sitting in her car for a long time before garnering the courage to go see Jack...yeah..they really do almost outweigh the of Jack in bed with...well...*sudden coughing fit*
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                            for that other test, i was joe first, then pete . but i don't remember the rest after that.

for this MUCH BETTER test, i am

SAM CARTER!!!

What Stargate SG-1 Character Are You?
                            You scored as a Sam Carter

Spoiler:
                            Sam Carter 75%
                            Janet Fraiser 65%
                            General Hammond 65%
                            Jonas Quinn 65%
                            Daniel Jackson 60%
                            Teal'c 45%
                            Jack O'Neill 10%

sally
                            A year ago (Jan 3rd '07) I scored this:

You are Jack O'Neill
                            Jack O'Neill 72%
                            General Hammond 65%
                            A Goa'uld 53%
                            Thor 52%
                            Daniel Jackson 44%
                            Dr. Frasier 30%
                            Teal'c 22%
                            Samantha Carter 17%

You are a born leader.
                            You are often cynical.
                            You are loyal to the end
                            but you are no brainiac.

BEWARE, I also have a strong "A Goa'uld 53% " Muhahahahaha!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hope leslie hermnharry View Post
                              A year ago (Jan 3rd '07) I scored this:

You are Jack O'Neill
                              Jack O'Neill 72%
                              General Hammond 65%
                              A Goa'uld 53%
                              Thor 52%
                              Daniel Jackson 44%
                              Dr. Frasier 30%
                              Teal'c 22%
                              Samantha Carter 17%

You are a born leader.
                              You are often cynical.
                              You are loyal to the end
                              but you are no brainiac.

BEWARE, I also have a strong "A Goa'uld 53% " Muhahahahaha!!!!!!!
                              Where is the quiz? I wanna try... Link anyone?
                              --Kate

Comment

Originally posted by Chocolatequeen View Post
                                I'll take your virtual green and give you some of my own. This whole "spread the love" thing is just so annoying.

As for Sam's patience... She's got two things going in her favor: #1 is her upbringing. She grew up with Air Force regs, she's known them (and likely lived with them) all her life. It really does come as naturally to her as breathing. #2 is her own personality. She's by nature a rule-follower. That doesn't mean she's not willing to go out on a limb and be a little bit of a maverick when it's called for, but for the most part, she's most comfortable when she's not skating the line between following the rules and not.

Now we don't know much about Jack's background, so I can't speak to where he stands on #1. However, it's obvious that he is as much or more of a rule breaker as Sam is a rule follower. He likes defying convention and the establishment. It's what makes him an extraordinary strategist--he's not afraid to think outside the box. However, it also means that he doesn't always think in terms of the rules and how they'll be affected if he does what he wants to do.

In light of their backgrounds and personalities, it makes perfect sense that we consistently see Sam being the one to pull back and subtly remind them both that there are regs in place that keep them from doing what they want to do. Jack I think understands when she does, even if he doesn't necessarily agree or appreciate it.

And I'd love to ramble more, but I've got to get to work. Bye!
                                Whenever I see the episode that mention Sam's "need for speed", I think this is her way of doing something that is just a little bit outside the norm for most people. Like a chance to break out of the restrictions she might feel from being such a rule follower!
                                sigpic
                                Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Working...
                                X