This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
    I would hope so. If only to do honor to the characters. I read the novelization of the Star Trek Nemesis movie over the weekend (novelization by J.M. Dillard based on screenplay by John Logan). In the introduction John talks about how he'd been a ST fan since he was a small boy & the process he went through in writing it. Here's the thought I had to share because it immediately struck me in relations to Stargate: [I]"Captain Picard and his shipmates are too vibrant and vital to be trapped in a little time bubble called the Enterprise, never growing or changing, perpetually going on new missions until the end of time."[/I]And John tried to honor the past of the ST:TNG characters while still giving them new challenges, even marriage for Troi and Riker who apparently would be serving on the same ship after leaving the Enterprise.

But where John Logan wanted Nemesis to show the characters growing and facing new challenges while honoring their past, there's been no honor in this way in S9 of SG. IMOHO of course... But John's quote still stuck with me and resonated with what you said above.

But I do hope you're right. Especially since the writers and directors have been quoted in interviews saying that in their eyes the S/J ship *was* resolved in S8 with Threads and Moebius. Given those kinds of public statements, it'll be a miracle to get a decent unambigous scene. So whilst I still love me S/J ship, I don't expect them to mess with showing or telling us anything further about their ship. And given their usage of RDA in the opening eps of S9, I'd be too afraid of them giving us 2-second throwaway scenes where RDA looks like he'd rather be elsewhere...
    Thanks for sharing this quote. I think Mr. Logan stated eloquently what we have been feeling. Stargate SG-1's ensemble cast evolved with the writers' and directors' structure but the actors' created the characters and the relationships from their individual personalities to the nuances that we yell out loud during an episode, "that is sooo Jack" or "isn't it like Daniel to think that."

As far as Sam and Jack go, RDA and Amanda were able to portray their characters growing deep attraction to one another in spite of TPTB's subtle, vague, and pittlin' little that we got throughout the years. At least they maintained respect between Sam and Jack, thank goodness, and not reduce them to the quibbling, sarcastic, immature behavior of too many series couples these days. I guess that's where their being in the military prevented that behavior. But, then, being in the military prevented them from acting on their feelings. FCOL!!!

So, where did things go wrong? What prevented them from moving forward after Season 8? I'm going to keep this simple, I don't feel so eloquent right now.

RDA's leaving was a tremendous void. No doubt. Unfortunately, TPTB were stuck in some darn formulaic cycle that ignored Jack's character for the express purpose of not deflecting attention to the new storyline. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!! We have come up with plenty of ways to move the Sam and Jack storyline along with minimum interference with the new plotlines. I imagine there are a majority of viewers who are carryovers to Season 9 and would not be confused by this occasional reference to Sam and Jack.

Is there a chance for a successful resolution for Sam and Jack's love story?

Originally posted by Pacific Jack
    They are not going to have RDA return for even a brief stint unless it is to finish his and Sam's story. They would not do otherwise as it would do some damage to Browder's leadership, both as lead character and as lead star. Jack will be back only for Sam. The producers know that the shows run is coming to an end. They are running out of ideas and the actors are getting older and beginning to look bored. Even with a vote of no confidence in the writers, they know what to do. In fact, the foundation of the entire story depends on the resolution of Sam and Jack. It was never the main story, but all the others have been resolved. This last plot line now needs the attention it deserves. Only then can it properly end.

Jack
    Jack, my moneys on your opinion!!! I just hope TPTB get smart fast. At this point in all of their careers, I don't know if they want to give us more vague in Season 10 with the promise of a movie. These actors may want to stretch themselves professionally if they haven't already been typecast by their characters on SG-1. Although, I think RDA and Amanda, have opportunities to grow professionally.

OK, that's my side of things.
    sigpic

Comment

i'm gonna try and contain myself... when its announced on his website i will "Squeeeeee" for all i'm worth!!!!! i've quelled my earlier outburst and am patiently waiting for news from Rick himself... okay so maybe not patiently but i'm trying!!!!
      Edward ~ "And so the Lion fell in love with the Lamb."
      Bella ~ "What a stupid Lamb."
      Edward ~ "What a sick, masochistic Lion."

Comment

When i asked Sam, Jack, Daniel and Teal'c, what what their honest opinion was of Pete Shanahan, this is the response i got...

*blows raspberry*

*blows raspberry*

*blows raspberry*

*blows raspberry*

i agree!!!!
        Edward ~ "And so the Lion fell in love with the Lamb."
        Bella ~ "What a stupid Lamb."
        Edward ~ "What a sick, masochistic Lion."

Comment

Well I for one have been squeeing all weekend. If the news had been leaked from only one person than I would have taken it with a grain of salt but it came from multiple sources both on and OFF the panels. Rick will be back. However, like tsaxlady has said it's not clear in what capacity. However, it IS more than one appearance and that bodes VERY well for it being something other than a mere cameo. As far as the ship goes I'm very confident that there wil be SOMETHING. Again, what I do not know but there will be something and call me a Pollyanna but with what I've pieced together from the entire weekend on and off the panels I'm hoping that it will be GOOD.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
            Well I for one have been squeeing all weekend. If the news had been leaked from only one person than I would have taken it with a grain of salt but it came from multiple sources both on and OFF the panels. Rick will be back. However, like tsaxlady has said it's not clear in what capacity. However, it IS more than one appearance and that bodes VERY well for it being something other than a mere cameo. As far as the ship goes I'm very confident that there wil be SOMETHING. Again, what I do not know but there will be something and call me a Pollyanna but with what I've pieced together from the entire weekend on and off the panels I'm hoping that it will be GOOD.
            Well I know that you did my shipper heart good! ((((Shipperahoy)))) Sounds like everyone had a great time at the Con.
            sigpic
            Don't try to pull any crap on Magnus... if you know what's good for you.

Comment

Royal SQEEEE! Had to leave the last image 'cause it says it all! Nice montage, Sam_Carter.

Just sayin', Sweet!
              Last edited by Traveler Enroute1; 27 March 2006, 10:15 AM.
              MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
              sigpic
              Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Carter
                When i asked Sam, Jack, Daniel and Teal'c, what what their honest opinion was of Pete Shanahan, this is the response i got...

*blows raspberry*

*blows raspberry*

*blows raspberry*

*blows raspberry*

i agree!!!!
                LOL. I think that everyone here shares those sentiments.
                always and forever
                My LJ http://historianheidi.livejournal.com
                My History Website http:thehistorian.net

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Carter

*blows raspberry*
                  http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2.../3X165F145.jpg

*blows raspberry*
                  http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2.../3X165F114.jpg

*blows raspberry*
                  http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2.../3X165F131.jpg

*blows raspberry*
                  http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2.../3X165F088.jpg

i agree!!!!
                  ROTFLMAO!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                    Sounds really, really good. Here's hoping.
                    always and forever

Comment

regarding season 10, all i can say is that for once i really hope the U.S. gets the episodes first so that i can be warned if its good news or bad news from a ship perspective. i do think there will be something. good or bad is my concern though. :rollseyes:

Comment

BHK BHK in real time more BHK in front of SGC...BHK

Comment

Originally posted by Pacific Jack
                          Remember that when they were finishing S8 with Threads and Moebius, the powers were thinking this was the end of the show. They wrote Threads to be the final resolution, but when they received their renewal for S9 all story wrap-ups were unwrapped again which lead to the screw-ups in this last season. If they hadn't continued with many of the same characters, then we would have accepted Threads as the proper end. But, they did continue and the rest, as they say, is sad history. Hopefully, this will be corrected next season and all will be set right again. I am confident that the creative forces recognize this error and it will be corrected. If RDA appears!

Jack
                          Okay, you're saying Threads would have been much more definite, had not the renewal come through? Makes sense. But if Threads were the same as it is now and SG didn't renew for S9, there still would be complainers, since no words of committal, no HGKS, etc.
                          They did wrap up the Goual'ds and replicators, but left enough to bring them back somewhat in case the new villains prove boring, which they are. There's reason for Baal.
                          Last edited by Gatetrixer; 27 March 2006, 01:45 PM.

Comment

A hopeful that RDA will pop up in season 10 bump!
                            always and forever

Comment

Wow, seems rather busy here tonight!

Anyone would think RDA was coming back to Stargate, anyway just a quick post for now, I'm off to read previous post.

Edit......

D'oh
                              Fingers crossed
                              Last edited by Terrah; 27 March 2006, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I've always felt that TPTB had a strong idea that RDA would return in season 10. It made no sense that they would renew the show for two years (9 and 10) when other years it was year by year. They had so many changes. I think that RDA is the star. It was the reason his name was before the title for 8 years. We as, dare I say, obsessive, fans, know all the actors but no one in the outside would recognizes anyone but RDA. Even say, 5 episodes, would be enough to have it regain some of the old feel of the show. That, and maybe his interference in some of the storylines would be a help. At this point, ANYTHING he brings would be a help.

I wouldn't worry about Sam and Jack ship if they are together in scenes. They have a way of just bringing it to life.

I have to say that this is the frist time I have been anxiously awaiting news about Stargate in a very long time!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X