Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is that makes the Sam/Jack pairing such an incredibly compelling couple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fems View Post
    I don't think hlndncr meant the exposure but rather the arts and vids that would be posted, as they are made from moments/scenes in the show and thus could maybe explain why people find it a compelling couple.
    I do see what you mean, but I don't think that would help. The thing is, that when I watch the show, those scenes between Sam and Jack that other people say are shippy, and show their chemistry, or are romantic, or whatever... I either don't see any ship there at all, or find it contrived and maybe embarrassing. Seeing art made of those scenes is not going to explain it to me, since I don't get it when I watch those scenes.

What I mean is... if you see the ship/romance in the episodes, then you will see it in the art made from those scenes, but if you don't see it on the show, then art made of those same scenes is unlikely to change anything.
    sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Originally posted by Hathor_girl View Post
      I do see what you mean, but I don't think that would help. The thing is, that when I watch the show, those scenes between Sam and Jack that other people say are shippy, and show their chemistry, or are romantic, or whatever... I either don't see any ship there at all, or find it contrived and maybe embarrassing. Seeing art made of those scenes is not going to explain it to me, since I don't get it when I watch those scenes.

What I mean is... if you see the ship/romance in the episodes, then you will see it in the art made from those scenes, but if you don't see it on the show, then art made of those same scenes is unlikely to change anything.
      I'm not saying it would, I was merely trying to explain as to why hlndncr may have made that post. Although, I do know there are several (relatively new) S/J shippers that didn't see the ship when they watched the show the first time around, but upon re-watching they started noticing small things (atop of the blatant admission in Divide and Conquer and the talk in Grace).
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Okay, let me try with a 'scientific' explanation

A couple years ago, I took a course in evolutionary psychology. Among other stuff, we talked about women and why they're attracted to 'alpha males' - the most successful men.
        That's because the most successful man is probably the one that will be most likely to be able to provide for the woman's kids, and will give the kids good genes, so THEY will be successful.

The professor used some real life examples of how, for instance, in France, lots and lots of women had found Mitterand attractive when he was president (and he was a small, ugly, old man). But because of the power and success, the women found him sexy and irresistible. She also used movies and tv shows as examples, and among those, Stargate.

Jack O'Neill is clearly the 'alpha male' on the team and in the show - the older, successful man. He is the hero, and he would be assumed to have good genes, and be able to provide for the kids. That will make him attractive to a LOT of women.

Sam is the only woman close to him, and the one we see each week. We (women) will then identify with her, and want her to get Jack (so we, by proxy, gets this successful man).

That's why so many women want Sam and Jack to be together, and see them as this incredible perfect couple - because they embody this dream/biological desire. It makes us feel happy.

I'm guessing the men who like the pairing identify with Jack the hero, and want him to get the hot woman

Yes, I ship Sam/Jack. Yes, I find Jack attractive
        My ships: sigpic
        (Sam/Jack, Sam/Rodney, Sam/Martouf/Lantash, Sam/Cam, Sam/Daniel, Sam/Janet)

Sam/Jack, Sam/Cam, Sam/Daniel, Sam/Janet, and Sam/Rodney smilies made by the talented zuz - THANKS. Smilies merged into one sig by the awesome Nolamom - THANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by SamShipper View Post
          Okay, let me try with a 'scientific' explanation

A couple years ago, I took a course in evolutionary psychology. Among other stuff, we talked about women and why they're attracted to 'alpha males' - the most successful men.
          That's because the most successful man is probably the one that will be most likely to be able to provide for the woman's kids, and will give the kids good genes, so THEY will be successful.

The professor used some real life examples of how, for instance, in France, lots and lots of women had found Mitterand attractive when he was president (and he was a small, ugly, old man). But because of the power and success, the women found him sexy and irresistible. She also used movies and tv shows as examples, and among those, Stargate.

Jack O'Neill is clearly the 'alpha male' on the team and in the show - the older, successful man. He is the hero, and he would be assumed to have good genes, and be able to provide for the kids. That will make him attractive to a LOT of women.

Sam is the only woman close to him, and the one we see each week. We (women) will then identify with her, and want her to get Jack (so we, by proxy, gets this successful man).

That's why so many women want Sam and Jack to be together, and see them as this incredible perfect couple - because they embody this dream/biological desire. It makes us feel happy.

I'm guessing the men who like the pairing identify with Jack the hero, and want him to get the hot woman

Yes, I ship Sam/Jack. Yes, I find Jack attractive
          Possibly, some of us are much more attracted to secondary male leads characters; Spock rather than Kirk, Simon rather than Mal (though I wouldn't say no... I mean, it's Captain Tightpants... fans self), Bashir or O'Brien rather than Sisko or Worf, etc, etc, etc.
          This was true in SG1 too, I didn't find Jack anywhere near as sexy as Daniel, brains over brawn will always be sexier to me, so when I see Sam/Jack, there is no element of wish fulfillment there for me. And I found Jack less and less attractive over the years, even though RDA got sexier as he got older, as the character became shallower and stupider over the years.
          But I do slash Jack/Daniel, human attraction is a strange and complex issue, much more complex and interesting than mainstream TV can cope with in a 45 minute family fantasy programme and fannish obsessions reflect that.

FF
          sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure there really is a specific reason why some people ship a pairing and others don't see it at all. As for the biological reasoning, I'm a biologist and I agree that happens sometimes (Sam/Jack, for example, I ship them and also think RDA was pretty hot in his day; I'd also be more than happy looking like Amanda and I'm half her age almost!).

Then again I shipped Mulder and Scully for years but I have never thought that David Duchovny was attractive at all (I can see how many do, like Brad Pitt, but he ain't for me) so who knows?
            Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

I also think that there is a deep sense of respect and honor in the two characters and that is very attractive. The fact that the writers didn't just write them into bed -there is a tension created because even though there is attraction, they are both too honorable to compromise their honor to pursue their hormones.

Restraint can be incredibly compelling.

It's also multi-dimensional: there is friendship, camaraderie (the 'brothers in arms' if you will), and attraction all layered together. It's not just physical attraction, though the actors seemed to have a chemistry that gave it extra life.
              sigpic
              sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
              "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Working...
              X