Daniel Jackson/Vala Mal Doran Ship/Discussion/Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LC_ View Post
    LOL...yeeeah<snicker>...my husband always gets concerned when I say 'just thinking',lol
    and please share with us what you're thinking.
    LC
    (okay, really surprised that I've been left alone at the computers as long as I have...hearing movement upstairs, don't think it's gonna last much longer)
    LOL, my friends say the same thing when I say that...LOL

My thoughts...
    Spoiler:
    After reading what you had to say, it just got me to thinking that maybe TPTB do know what they are doing. Maybe they wanted that scene to be exactly how it was. I think that Daniel does seem to be lying low since the Prior thing and he is a little different then he was(I mean how could that NOT change someone) I think it is just a couple more obsticles for those two to get through before we get our BIG PAYOFF!!! Well at least here is hoping
    sigpic
    Sig made by me

Comment

That is very interesting LC and I think I agree.
      Spoiler:

It does seem rehearsed actually... the first line in particular, "have a seat please?"

It's very... deliberate.

It just doesn't seem as easy as their normal interactions. Maybe Daniel isn't saying what he wants to be saying?

Wishful thinking aside...

DJGirl the radio! and haha, how creeeeeepy. See? Dala cannot fail. Even fate is on our side.

EDIT: HELLO! IS ANYBODY OUT THERE? 'echo' out there, out there out there, out there, out there...........

kay x
      Last edited by Kales; 02 March 2007, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kales View Post
        That is very interesting LC and I think I agree.
        Spoiler:

It does seem rehearsed actually... the first line in particular, "have a seat please?"

It's very... deliberate.

It just doesn't seem as easy as their normal interactions. Maybe Daniel isn't saying what he wants to be saying?

Wishful thinking aside...

kay x
        Personally I have found a number of Daniel's statements during the second half of the season to be odd....Prior thing again perhaps?
        Hmmm...I can almost see the few moments of Daniel by himself before she appears in his office trying to figure out in his head how to do this little conversation.
        Spoiler:

sarcasm is usually making what you mean the opposite of what you're saying...altho in this case I don 't think that's a good thing because it's his sarcasm that makes the whole statement so biting.
        so let's move on to why MS/producers/writers chose to voice this scene like this.
        perhaps in response to ever vocal complaints that DV interactions are too shippy?
        don't know...any one else who thinks too much?
        sigpic

http://www.moonsmusings.com/bluemoon/
        http://www.gatefic.com/

My Fiction:

Comment

Personally I have found a number of Daniel's statements during the second half of the season to be odd....Prior thing again perhaps?
          Hmmm...I can almost see the few moments of Daniel by himself before she appears in his office trying to figure out in his head how to do this little conversation.
          Spoiler:

sarcasm is usually making what you mean the opposite of what you're saying...altho in this case I don 't think that's a good thing because it's his sarcasm that makes the whole statement so biting.
          so let's move on to why MS/producers/writers chose to voice this scene like this.
          perhaps in response to ever vocal complaints that DV interactions are too shippy?
          don't know...any one else who thinks too much?
          *raises hand as thinks too much by habit*

Honestly I just think they missed the beat since the ep would have been filmed long before the shrill squealling started (from both 'shippers and not and violently anti, lol).

I'm leaning towards thinking it was just incompetent writing that MS tried to make the best of but failed... and CB was brilliant in this ep. I just wish it had been more concerned!Daniel and equalfriend!Daniel. Surely, surely Dominion will be better. SG is seeming to do far better this year on main arc rather than one-shot stuff, so surely Dominion will be better. And

Spoiler:

Nothing like Adria and ethical dilemmas to bring out Dala

The Quest pt.2... Counterstrike... The Shroud

Surely.

So. Anyone know who's scribing/directing Dominion?

kay x

Comment

Originally posted by Kales View Post
            *raises hand as thinks too much by habit*

Honestly I just think they missed the beat since the ep would have been filmed long before the shrill squealling started (from both 'shippers and not and violently anti, lol).

I'm leaning towards thinking it was just incompetent writing that MS tried to make the best of but failed... and CB was brilliant in this ep. I just wish it had been more concerned!Daniel and equalfriend!Daniel. Surely, surely Dominion will be better. SG is seeming to do far better this year on main arc rather than one-shot stuff, so surely Dominion will be better. And

So. Anyone know who's scribing/directing Dominion?

kay x
            'Solutions' says Allan McCullough and Alex Levine for story/teleplay and Mr Waring again as director.
            LC
            sigpic

http://www.moonsmusings.com/bluemoon/
            http://www.gatefic.com/

My Fiction:

Comment

'Solutions' says Allan McCullough and Alex Levine for story/teleplay and Mr Waring again as director.
              LC

Thanks... I decided to stop being lazy and find out lol. Here's the full rundown:

Did a little snooping for us all, just throwing this into the mix...

DOMINION SPOILERS
              Spoiler:

From Solutions...

"The germ of Dominion came from our script co-ordinator, Alex Levine. He pitched an idea where Vala manages to lure Adria to a set location and we capture her. Unfortunately, she's taken away from us by someone who audiences are very familiar with. [...] The rest of the episode brings some closure to Vala's relationship with Adria and that storyline. There are some great twists that you don't see coming, some that Alex pitched, some of which came from me, and others I got from the rest of the writing staff. Will Waring directed this episode and did a fantastic job." — Alan McCullough

Closure. So we're looking at angst

And it's written by...

Oh joy. Alan McCullough. Of...
              Prototype,
              Stronghold,
              Off the Grid,
              Arthur's Mantle,
              Insiders,
              200 and Company of Thieves.

... This isn't giving me faith.

Directed...

AHA! Oh yes. That's better. Will Waring, who has also directed...

Meridian, Prophecy, Chimera, Lockdown, THE TIES THAT BIND, THE POWERS THAT BE, Collateral Damage, FLESH AND BLOOD, THE PEGASUS PROJECT... Uninvited... Company of Thieves... and ooh, Common Ground over on SGA.

This makes me feel all sorts of better. We know for a fact he's at least decent on Daniel/MS.

UNENDING
              Spoiler:

Con report from MS... "It's very much a bottle episode in itself, and you get to see how the characters evolve over the course of the rest of the show— without necessarily seeing. You get to see how they will be in the future. It doesn't resolve the Ori storyline, since that will be left to the DVD movies. He [Michael Shanks] later added that they explore a bit of Daniel and Vala at the end of the season in the sense that you see how they might end up."

Oh I'm not going to touch that

Okay, so details for scribe and director ... Robert C. Cooper, who has written/directed too many to list but the ones that matter to us are...

WRITTEN:
              Torment of Tantalus
              Singularity
              Need
              Absolute Power
              Last Stand
              Meridian
              Full Circle
              Fallen
              Chimera
              Heroes
              Threads
              Moebius
              Avalon
              Origin
              Flesh and Blood

And on SGA:
              Conversion
              Sateda

DIRECTED:
              Crusade
              SGA: Sateda

ANALYSIS: He is quite possibly one of the few writers who can handle 'ship... and has proven himself on both Daniel and Vala and their interactions.
              SGA: Sateda is a character led ep... as was Crusade. So he knows his characters as well as his action.

----Discuss----

lol. and not just the fact that I have too much time on my hands.

kay x

Comment

Hey all I am going to have limited access to internet for a little while not sure how long so I will pop in when I can. I agree with you Kales about this thread. I also hope we get what we want in Unending I hope it is better than Family Ties I wasn't that happy with that scene the one in Talion was much better. Maybe without internet I will get some of that Fan Fic done and home work that I put off lol.
                sigpic
                My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Hey guys, whats with all the negativity???? I found nothing wrong with the office scene. I can see where your all coming from, but I think your looking too much into it. It was harmless and:

Spoiler:
                  Daniel drover her to her dad's, and she said she only went because "you asked me to" refering to Daniel. We got that great lock picking scene, where he looks at her in the cutest way when she picks the lock, he he. It was a good episode for them, he even sticks up for her when her dads trying to get them to persuade her to come see her.

It was a great episode, and the office scene, it was just him trying to push Vala into giving her father a chance. He wanted her to know her father, to forgive him so that she could be happy. Thats the way I saw it.

So no more feeling negative about that scene. Positive thoughts everyone.

As for Dominion, yeah, Will Warring is a Dan/Vala fan. Don't have my DVD's to quote from at the moment, but if you listen to his commentries he makes it quite clear that he likes their relationship and tries to make it work. So don't panic!!!! He talks about them very deeply in one episode commentary, refering back to Promethius Unbound, so he's all for it!

As for Unending, thanks for that quote Kales,
                  Spoiler:

Michaels saying they explore how Daniel and Vala will end up, doesnt that sound like everyone knows they WILL end up together, there just exploring how they actually do it. Thats the way I read it. And I have high hopes for both episodes.

so chin up, it ain't over to the fat lady sings. And I'm off to play Kingdom Hearts 2, woot woo!!!!!!

Spoiler:
                  Thanks Stef for the great banners!!

My StarGate Music Vids: http://www.freewebs.com/padfoot_001

Comment

Okay, so I'm still reading all of the delightful posts since my last visit, but I just wanted to let everyone know that Vala is DOWN TO ONE POINT in the H&H game. I can't vote until later....somebody needs to save her, and QUICK!!

I'll post a response to other's posts once I'm done...

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Aw poundpuppy we'll miss you ... ((hugs)) Do keep checking in with us when you can and I'm looking forward to that fanfiction

:O Where does she say (Family Ties)
                      Spoiler:

'because you asked me to'??? and how did i miss that???

kay x

Comment

okay so VALA IS NOW ON 2 POINTS!!!!

kay x

Comment

Originally posted by Padfoot_001 View Post
                          Hey guys, whats with all the negativity???? I found nothing wrong with the office scene. I can see where your all coming from, but I think your looking too much into it. It was harmless and:

Spoiler:
                          Daniel drover her to her dad's, and she said she only went because "you asked me to" refering to Daniel. We got that great lock picking scene, where he looks at her in the cutest way when she picks the lock, he he. It was a good episode for them, he even sticks up for her when her dads trying to get them to persuade her to come see her.

It was a great episode, and the office scene, it was just him trying to push Vala into giving her father a chance. He wanted her to know her father, to forgive him so that she could be happy. Thats the way I saw it.

So no more feeling negative about that scene. Positive thoughts everyone.

As for Dominion, yeah, Will Warring is a Dan/Vala fan. Don't have my DVD's to quote from at the moment, but if you listen to his commentries he makes it quite clear that he likes their relationship and tries to make it work. So don't panic!!!! He talks about them very deeply in one episode commentary, refering back to Promethius Unbound, so he's all for it!

As for Unending, thanks for that quote Kales,
                          Spoiler:

Michaels saying they explore how Daniel and Vala will end up, doesnt that sound like everyone knows they WILL end up together, there just exploring how they actually do it. Thats the way I read it. And I have high hopes for both episodes.

so chin up, it ain't over to the fat lady sings. And I'm off to play Kingdom Hearts 2, woot woo!!!!!!
                          Ok I just get paranoid that's all he's the same director that did PU cool then I know it will be good I really want my D&V I want this ship to become Canon. I am still hoping for MS & CB to be in the 3rd series it's a small hope but I can hope right I hope they still get good scenes in the movies. I am staying positive we will get what we want they will not scew with us I think our ace in the hole is how much MS likes working with CB so maybe we will get D&V in the 3rd series and we will get them in the movies too I hope we get more than 2 movies I would love it if it goes on for years show Sci-Fi that it made a mistake.
                          sigpic
                          My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                          poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Ooh, look at all of the lovely chatter. Apparently, I've been getting on at the wrong time!!

I totally agree with everyone on the whole FT thing. It did seem rehearsed, or premeditated on Daniel's part. I've never really had a problem with the way MS plays a scene...but I was not fond of what he was doing in that particular scene. Although, if the scene is written as poorly and inconsistantly as I felt that one was, I'm not sure it was entirely his fault. I think you asked earlier, Kales, but it was written by JM & PM. So, take that for what it's worth. It's kind of bizarre, they also wrote MM. How did they go so wrong here after writing such wonderful DV-shippiness there? They also wrote "Counterstrike." Are we sure they wrote this episode?!

(oh, and I TOTALLY think you should rewrite FT, Kales )

As for "Unending," I'm still excited about it....
                            Spoiler:
                            ...so the actual line MS said (thanks for posting, Kales), isn't as bad as I was thinking it was. I'm with you guys, let's have some fighting and then hot sex. Wait, what? He He.

I can totally see him "giving her a piece of his mind" having something to do with his feelings. If they are going to explore how they could end up (MS' words), then there has to be some turning point where one of them admits something. I'd be SOOOOOO happy if it's Daniel that admits it first. I think we've had enough of Vala's pursuit of Daniel. Although, technically, I suppose Daniel has shown his emotions more often, while Vala has shown more superficial ones (ie sex/innuendo). Although, we do get her looks and the scene in "Morpheus" when she talks about "someone" believing in her. Then of course, I think the big emotional turning point for her was in "The Quest Pt. 2."

As for "Dominion" and "Unending"....
                            Spoiler:
                            ...we can at least have hope since Will Waring ("The Ties That Bind," "The Powers That Be," "Flesh & Blood," "The Pegasus Project," and "Company of Thieves") is directing "Dominion." All of those episodes had really good DV interactions....and don't underestimate the power a director can have when it comes to what we see on-screen between characters.

We also have Robert C. Cooper writing/directing "Unending," who seems to like Vala...and writes her as a smart, resourceful, and sympathetic character (ie "Crusade," "Flesh & Blood," "The Shroud") but he's also good at the bickering we all love (ie "Avalon 1 & 2" and "Origin"). So, we might just get all of our wishes! I honestly do believe that he cares about the Vala character and respects her. From "Crusade" onwards, he has given us such a multi-layered, mature character...I doubt he would just sacrifice her integrity by having Daniel lecture her. So, I'll take comfort in those little things

And you guys are right, this thread has always been very positive. It might be because we don't have a ship directly conflicting with ours...or maybe it's because we're all mature individuals who would rather appreciate the good aspects of our couple, rather than the negative ones of another.

In all fairness though, I don't think SG-1 jerks us around in the ship area as much as it does on SGA (they're like 50 couples on that show!). I've never understood ship wars personally. I used to watch soaps...and it could get viscious! So much so that there were intense screening processes on boards to keep out "spies" Yeah, I may never want a certain couple to happen, but I'm perfectly okay with other people wanting them to. Afterall, it is a TV show

Whew! And I'm spent I guess I'm back to my optimistic self again

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

He he he, thats better. Thats the Dan/Vala shippers we all know and love. Stay positive.

And Kales, I'm rewatching that scene now to get exact spot (hoping I didnt imaging it now, he he.

Spoiler:

First of all, like how Daniel says "should WE come back" he he he, its very cute couply with him driving and them there as if to say, "dad where here for dinner" lol.

And okay, I appologise, I was wrong, he he. But I was close. Vala says:

"You didn't trust him, but you talked me into coming here anyway" so it seemed she only went there because Daniel talked her into it. Then he says "He's not MY father" as though he did this whole thing, pretending he trusted him and everything, just so that Vala could actually try and get along with her dad. I thought it was very nice what he did.

When they're chasing after Jacek, and find him chatting with that guy, they walk SOOOO close together and when there hiding behind the tree, there like practically on top of each other, and Daniel looks at her as though he clearly doesnt mind it at all. He he.

And when the Zat goes off and misses Daniel, after he shoots the man and Vala pops her head out, Daniel looks around as though checking shes okay, very nice.

Did anyone also notice, when Jacek's in Hammonds office, everything he does, everything he says just reminds me sooo much of how Vala used to be, so cute.

Well thats all the positive spins I can give on Family Ties. I too wont be around much lately, I shall post when I can, but internet will be least important thing as am movin' out in the big bad world, woot! But for now ill post as much as i can, he he, make up for lost time coming up.

Spoiler:
                              Thanks Stef for the great banners!!

My StarGate Music Vids: http://www.freewebs.com/padfoot_001

Comment

NEW SPOILERS! I finally got the latest TV Zone, with interviews with all the main cast... AND I FINALLY SOURCED THAT UNENDING SPOILER!

From my shiny magazine
                                "Vala is an interesting character in that she and Daniel [Michael Shanks] have an obvious bond..."
                                - Amanda Tapping

"All of our SG-1 writers have great senses of humour, so it's easier to write for a character like Vala [Claudia Black], for example, or the natural relationship she has with Daniel..."
                                - Christopher Judge

"Daniel has been prodding Vala this year to come to terms with any real emotions she may have...If you stop and think about it, Daniel really is her one true friend in the universe."
                                - Claudia Black

AND HERE'S THAT UNENDING SPOILER, FINALLY SOURCED IT!
                                Spoiler:

"So I've had some wonderful arcs to play this year. Along the way I've learnt some really important lessons as an actor. I said before that I've tried to be true to my character and not just go for the cheap laugh. However, it's so much a part of Vala's external facade to be playful with people, which I can get away with sometimes in my performance, but they key is finding the motivation for it. That's why I think, psychologically, Daniel Jackson offers an interesting window into Vala because he's always calling her on things, especially in this last episode where Daniel really gives her a piece of his mind. So he's been helping Vala grow as a person, and her daughter Adria has been a big component in that as well. It's quite clear Vala isn't used to dealing with things if there's anyone else around. She'd rather suppress her emotions and carry on, but now she's forced to develop coping mechanisms that allow her to be more adult and learn that it's OK to be honest and talk about how you feel."
                                - Claudia Black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh so glad I finally found where that's from!

And another Unending spoiler from CB...
                                Spoiler:

They're clearly not stuck on the ship 100% of the time, unless the Odyssey's gotten a holodeck

"There was a funny aspect to shooting on location in that our characters were supposed to be stuck in a time dilation field where nothing moved but of course, it was the one day of the year that the weather changed four times and the leaves kept falling off the trees..."

*does happy dance*

Oh Padfoot you and poundpuppy in one day? You wound us. I hope it goes well and that you're back soon!

kay x

Comment

Working...
                                X