Daniel Jackson/Vala Mal Doran Ship/Discussion/Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by valaCB
    Maybe Vala will kiss Daniel in surprise next week, when she say goodbye to him .
    This week actually Four days until "Beachhead" now...

Comment

I wish I knew how to post pictures, but I love the Daniel/Vala pictures (need more). I couldn't stop laughing during "The Powers That Be," when Vala is trying to squeeze herself through the bars, and Daniel is just watching her as if to say, "Yeah, you keep at it, I'm sure you'll get through." It was very funny.

I think their chemistry is extraordinary. I would love to see these two hook-up. When was the last time he hooked up with anyone? You can't count Sarah, you can't count Keira really . . I think it was his wife, almost ten years ago!! Geez, talk about frustration. I think Vala brings out a side in Daniel that he hides. Daniel is always the diplomat, always the nice guy, always the peacemaker. At the same time, he has been a witness to some pretty horrific things, many of which happened to him personally. I think Vala helps him vent and open himself up more than he normally would. I never really thought of Daniel as someone with a wall around him, but I'm beginning to think one might exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalliope
        This week actually Four days until "Beachhead" now...
        Now I'm depressed. I wasn't ready for the Vala story arc to end yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxum
          I never really thought of Daniel as someone with a wall around him, but I'm beginning to think one might exist.
          That's what makes their relationship believable to me, and why it needs to be expanded on and given more time. It's amazing when we can see other sides of characters we've "known" for almost a decade, and when another character brings OUT those other aspects... WOW! That's a 'ship I would like to see sail.

Comment

Originally posted by TracysTrails
            That's what makes their relationship believable to me, and why it needs to be expanded on and given more time. It's amazing when we can see other sides of characters we've "known" for almost a decade, and when another character brings OUT those other aspects... WOW! That's a 'ship I would like to see sail.
            I never though about it. He HAS walls around him he need Vala so badly now!!

and Maxum, if you want post pics all you need is to open account in http://photobucket.com/ and log in pics

like this

Comment

After "Beachhead" Daniel will be definitely incompleted without Vala. Bring her back as soon as possible!

Comment

I really enjoyed TPTB, I think its possibly my favorite one of the Vala arc so far. I especially liked
                Spoiler:
                how comfortable Daniel and Vala seemed together. They've been (necessarily) spending so much time together, I guess they had to learn to not be snarking at each other every waking hour. I wonder what they talked about all night- possibly in fic format? *hint hint* But it seemed like the 'we're stuck together!!' aspect has faded to the background and turned into more of a 'we're spending a lot of time together and only plartly because we have to' sort of vibe. at least that's my take on things.

Does anybody know, how long is it supposed to have been since Vala showed up in Avalon 1? (and for that matter, how long was it supposed to have been between Prometius Unbound and Avalon 1?) I don't have clue, really, but I'm realizing that it's a pretty important detail....

And here is my Vala Analysis Which Got Very Long. I also posted this at the lj community for Daniel/Vala, but I thought I might as well post it here too as it seems so quiet on the thread lately. I appologize if I spammed anyone with twice. :-) Feel free to disagree with me on any point, in fact do, I want to spark some discussion. Anyway, here it is.

Vala is a restless woman. Her thoughts probably run very fast. She gets bored easily. she seems to be in motion a lot of the time, at least when she's putting on a show (this could be one of her 'tells'). She had a line in Avalon 1- about hating small spaces, this is probably true, and fits in with the restlessness. This claustrophobia is probably not limited to physical spaces but mental/emotional ones as well. I think she's not exactly comfortable with still being stuck to/with Daniel, because now the situation is out of her control, and Daniel is in a position to find out far too much about her. I'm not sure how to articulate this, but I think that the claustrophobia and the not wanting anybody to know her are linked. She travels a lot, because of her 'job' and because of the 'restlessness.' I have to wonder if she's a bit insomniac, actually. And another thing, does she have a home somewhere? Someplace where she keeps her things, or uses as a base of operations? She hasn't said anything about one that we've seen.

She was, in essence, possessed for a while-as a host. I may be wrong, but I don't think that they've covered what it's like to be a former host before on the show. I don't know how long she was a host. Have they said and I’ve just missed it? I wonder how much she remembers of that time, how integrated their memories were, or if her mind was totally suppressed. (and then how odd a parallel was it with them ending up in Harrid and Sallis's bodies?) I wonder if she (while a host) ever had to use the sarcophagus-just how old is she anyway? (And this leads me to my 'the goaulds live too damn long and go utterly insane and immoral' theory)I wonder if she dreams about her past, or accidentally remembers Qetesh's past instead of her own. That must make for major fractures in memory/personality/emotional stability. And I wont even go into the villagers-who-thought-she-was-still-Qetesh-and-were-Very-Very-Mean, it would be just get melodramatic.

In contradiction to that I would like to say that Vala is a tough woman, she may not be whole but she's not destroyed and she got over it (at least sort of) and she she's still going. Some people would not still be functioning after going through all of that.

She puts up this rather manic front, and that seems to really be a part of her personality, lots of frenetic energy. Underneath that she got lots of other layers, including some vulnerabilities and I'm guessing a deep-seated loneliness, but I think also something sturdier, fiercer and more genius-like. I wonder if the coquettish coating she's got is something she cultivated while growing up/pre-Qetesh, I mean it's not always culturally acceptable for a woman to be intelligent and ambitious. it might have been easier to make people shake their heads and say 'fruitcake' than be shunned as freakishly intelligent and having un-feminine ambitions. She does use her body and her sexuality as a weapon/defense mechanism/tool for manipulation, but that's a more feminine and socially expected way to go about it than plain smarts and brute force. (Which she also uses, but not as an opening tactic.)

I would like to know more about what planet she came from. I'm betting she used to spend a lot of time alone with her thoughts as a child, and probably not a whole lot of formal education- not Harvard, Princeton or Oxford for our space pirate. I wonder then if she picked up her intermittent large vocabulary and good grammar from Qetesh. Do they/does she use space travel as well as 'gate travel. they seem to have hinted at that. and I'm almost certain that there's this whole other society/set of societies in the gaps between 'gate worlds that do space travel and aliens and space stations- we just haven't seen much of them. don't even get me started on what a big bleeding huge political, economic and sociological mess the galaxy at large must be now that the goauld have fallen- the power balance shift was necessary but that doesn't mean that they're not gonna flounder in their own wake for a while. Anyway...

I remember a sort of throw away joke line from Avalon 1, which struck me as funny and then as possibly as more significant, something like- "I hate bald-faced lies." While being the epitome of self-contradiction, it seemed oddly logical. (you can tell by now that I've thought about all this way too much- my logic is going in deformed circles) You lie, with great frequency and yet you hate lies and liars- to me this makes more sense than it should. Maybe it's something to do with knowing dishonesty intimately makes you value genuine-ness all the more (which may be part of the draw to Daniel, because no matter what else, Danny's got an intrinsic genuine-ness.) I'm probably reaching here, feel free to tell me I'm nuts. Anyway, am I right in thinking that the bulk of her business in stealing things and selling them to people? She makes business deals (possibly longstanding) with people who she trusts only to be deceitful and who feel the same about her, and I'm willing to bet she acts different ways with each of them-where the situation requires it.

Vala is fascinated by Daniel- who represents a steadier yet less predictable type of person than she usually associates with, she wants to provoke him into admitting he's not always as quiet and innocent as he seems to be with the sg1- the guy she saw on the Prometheus who was willing to fight and snark back. But at the same time I think she likes how calm he is and how he's so willing to believe in her given even just a small chance. She's not exactly sure what she's doing with him or what she wants. And she's probably also uncertain about the response/results she's getting.

Random analysis thoughts:
                fond of crowds she can loose herself in, music, good food, good clothes, good sex, physical pleasures, escapes, and things that soothe her mind into quietude.

Oh, and what I forgot to say before but is possibly most important, She lives in the Moment. (I am picturing her making a 'this is me, right here, right now, that's all that matters' sort of speech to Daniel at some point. probably when he's pressing for too many details about his past). And she has a sense of humour. an odd one, yes, but a totally necessary and effective one.

Magic is a flick of the wrist...

Comment

Brilliant analysis! It would be great if any of TPTB read it...

Comment

Originally posted by Nokwalish
                    I really enjoyed TPTB, I think its possibly my favorite one of the Vala arc so far. I especially liked
                    Spoiler:
                    how comfortable Daniel and Vala seemed together. They've been (necessarily) spending so much time together, I guess they had to learn to not be snarking at each other every waking hour. I wonder what they talked about all night- possibly in fic format? *hint hint* But it seemed like the 'we're stuck together!!' aspect has faded to the background and turned into more of a 'we're spending a lot of time together and only plartly because we have to' sort of vibe. at least that's my take on things.

Does anybody know, how long is it supposed to have been since Vala showed up in Avalon 1? (and for that matter, how long was it supposed to have been between Prometius Unbound and Avalon 1?) I don't have clue, really, but I'm realizing that it's a pretty important detail....

And here is my Vala Analysis Which Got Very Long. I also posted this at the lj community for Daniel/Vala, but I thought I might as well post it here too as it seems so quiet on the thread lately. I appologize if I spammed anyone with twice. :-) Feel free to disagree with me on any point, in fact do, I want to spark some discussion. Anyway, here it is.

Vala is a restless woman. Her thoughts probably run very fast. She gets bored easily. she seems to be in motion a lot of the time, at least when she's putting on a show (this could be one of her 'tells'). She had a line in Avalon 1- about hating small spaces, this is probably true, and fits in with the restlessness. This claustrophobia is probably not limited to physical spaces but mental/emotional ones as well. I think she's not exactly comfortable with still being stuck to/with Daniel, because now the situation is out of her control, and Daniel is in a position to find out far too much about her. I'm not sure how to articulate this, but I think that the claustrophobia and the not wanting anybody to know her are linked. She travels a lot, because of her 'job' and because of the 'restlessness.' I have to wonder if she's a bit insomniac, actually. And another thing, does she have a home somewhere? Someplace where she keeps her things, or uses as a base of operations? She hasn't said anything about one that we've seen.

She was, in essence, possessed for a while-as a host. I may be wrong, but I don't think that they've covered what it's like to be a former host before on the show. I don't know how long she was a host. Have they said and I’ve just missed it? I wonder how much she remembers of that time, how integrated their memories were, or if her mind was totally suppressed. (and then how odd a parallel was it with them ending up in Harrid and Sallis's bodies?) I wonder if she (while a host) ever had to use the sarcophagus-just how old is she anyway? (And this leads me to my 'the goaulds live too damn long and go utterly insane and immoral' theory)I wonder if she dreams about her past, or accidentally remembers Qetesh's past instead of her own. That must make for major fractures in memory/personality/emotional stability. And I wont even go into the villagers-who-thought-she-was-still-Qetesh-and-were-Very-Very-Mean, it would be just get melodramatic.

In contradiction to that I would like to say that Vala is a tough woman, she may not be whole but she's not destroyed and she got over it (at least sort of) and she she's still going. Some people would not still be functioning after going through all of that.

She puts up this rather manic front, and that seems to really be a part of her personality, lots of frenetic energy. Underneath that she got lots of other layers, including some vulnerabilities and I'm guessing a deep-seated loneliness, but I think also something sturdier, fiercer and more genius-like. I wonder if the coquettish coating she's got is something she cultivated while growing up/pre-Qetesh, I mean it's not always culturally acceptable for a woman to be intelligent and ambitious. it might have been easier to make people shake their heads and say 'fruitcake' than be shunned as freakishly intelligent and having un-feminine ambitions. She does use her body and her sexuality as a weapon/defense mechanism/tool for manipulation, but that's a more feminine and socially expected way to go about it than plain smarts and brute force. (Which she also uses, but not as an opening tactic.)

I would like to know more about what planet she came from. I'm betting she used to spend a lot of time alone with her thoughts as a child, and probably not a whole lot of formal education- not Harvard, Princeton or Oxford for our space pirate. I wonder then if she picked up her intermittent large vocabulary and good grammar from Qetesh. Do they/does she use space travel as well as 'gate travel. they seem to have hinted at that. and I'm almost certain that there's this whole other society/set of societies in the gaps between 'gate worlds that do space travel and aliens and space stations- we just haven't seen much of them. don't even get me started on what a big bleeding huge political, economic and sociological mess the galaxy at large must be now that the goauld have fallen- the power balance shift was necessary but that doesn't mean that they're not gonna flounder in their own wake for a while. Anyway...

I remember a sort of throw away joke line from Avalon 1, which struck me as funny and then as possibly as more significant, something like- "I hate bald-faced lies." While being the epitome of self-contradiction, it seemed oddly logical. (you can tell by now that I've thought about all this way too much- my logic is going in deformed circles) You lie, with great frequency and yet you hate lies and liars- to me this makes more sense than it should. Maybe it's something to do with knowing dishonesty intimately makes you value genuine-ness all the more (which may be part of the draw to Daniel, because no matter what else, Danny's got an intrinsic genuine-ness.) I'm probably reaching here, feel free to tell me I'm nuts. Anyway, am I right in thinking that the bulk of her business in stealing things and selling them to people? She makes business deals (possibly longstanding) with people who she trusts only to be deceitful and who feel the same about her, and I'm willing to bet she acts different ways with each of them-where the situation requires it.

Vala is fascinated by Daniel- who represents a steadier yet less predictable type of person than she usually associates with, she wants to provoke him into admitting he's not always as quiet and innocent as he seems to be with the sg1- the guy she saw on the Prometheus who was willing to fight and snark back. But at the same time I think she likes how calm he is and how he's so willing to believe in her given even just a small chance. She's not exactly sure what she's doing with him or what she wants. And she's probably also uncertain about the response/results she's getting.

Random analysis thoughts:
                    fond of crowds she can loose herself in, music, good food, good clothes, good sex, physical pleasures, escapes, and things that soothe her mind into quietude.

Oh, and what I forgot to say before but is possibly most important, She lives in the Moment. (I am picturing her making a 'this is me, right here, right now, that's all that matters' sort of speech to Daniel at some point. probably when he's pressing for too many details about his past). And she has a sense of humour. an odd one, yes, but a totally necessary and effective one.
                    Excelllent personality study of a character. You hit on many aspects of her personality, most would have missed. Yes, she is an extremely complex person, with more inner torment than the average "Taur'i", and I like the fact tptb let us slowly gain more insight into her motivations. Her use of classic defense mechanisms, is, well, classic.

Are you in psychology or a related field? If not, consider it. You would be excellent!
                    On fighting:
                    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

excellent Nokwalish! i enjoy reading it very much!

I would like to know more about what planet she came from
                      does she have a home somewhere? Someplace where she keeps her things, or uses as a base of operations? She hasn't said anything about one that we've seen.
                      I really want to know that too .

Vala's character as we know her is just a micro from the whole Vala's story. . Before i saw Vala's epis, i thought 6 epis with Vala and than Carter back, its OK! but after i saw who Vala is i cant understand why only 6 epis.

Comment

Feel free to disagree with me on any point, in fact do, I want to spark some discussion.
                        I'd love to obey but I can only agree with what you wrote.

I think she's not exactly comfortable with still being stuck to/with Daniel, because now the situation is out of her control, and Daniel is in a position to find out far too much about her.
                        Control must definitely be a sensitive topic for her given that a host ISN'T in control of themselves. And G'oaulds have shown their cruel tendencies often enough ordering destruction as well as personally killing and torturing people. It really would be interesting to know how much a host remembers and feels during their 'use'.

And another thing, does she have a home somewhere? Someplace where she keeps her things, or uses as a base of operations? She hasn't said anything about one that we've seen.
                        Hey! Good point. I haven't considered that yet. She must store her wardrobe somewhere.

A.
                        VALA - COOL, FUNNY, SEXY, SMART

Comment

These are great questions to grill Joe Mallozzi about a little bit

Comment

Originally posted by Maxum
                            I wish I knew how to post pictures, but I love the Daniel/Vala pictures (need more).
                            Here's something for you. Photobucket's great, btw.

A.
                            VALA - COOL, FUNNY, SEXY, SMART

Comment

So what do you think? Friday's the last episode for Daniel/Vala. Do you think there will be any intimacy between them (hug, tears, kiss, etc.)?

My guess is: Nothing too intimate because they're going to want to bring her back (I hope). If they show too much in Friday's episode, it will hurt the aniticpation of her return. I only hope that they do something between them before she leaves, and not just sweep her under the rug. That would upset me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                                Excelllent personality study of a character. You hit on many aspects of her personality, most would have missed. Yes, she is an extremely complex person, with more inner torment than the average "Taur'i", and I like the fact tptb let us slowly gain more insight into her motivations. Her use of classic defense mechanisms, is, well, classic.

Are you in psychology or a related field? If not, consider it. You would be excellent!

Thank you so much- I'm just starting senior year in highschool, but am deffinately interested in a minor in psychology year after next (writing being my probable major). I'm fascinated by human behavior and motivation tho (plus a little bit obsessive about character analysis) so I've had some practice in analiyzing the [explative] out of everything

And i agree with you, she's deffinately the most complex off-worlder I've seen on the show. (I think this is partly indicated by them allowing her to use contractions ).

Magic is a flick of the wrist...

Comment

Working...
                                X