No announcement yet.

Daniel Jackson/Vala Mal Doran Ship/Discussion/Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, just to tie up some loose ends . . .

I've been thinking about this alot, in my semi-somnolent state. (This is the most disturbing episode since I first saw Menace.) I think the idea about Daniel searching Vala for weapons is may be a good argument base on SOP, but it isn't supported by the script.

Daniel says, "It was your idea," which refers to Vala's words, "This suit still absorbs zat blasts." That suggests he might have thought it had some special characteristics, or that he didn't know and wasn't taking any chances.

Vala's comment that she wanted to distract him so she could kick him in the head may be the key to understanding the last scene where Vala says, "What are you going to do with me?" and then starts in with, "Look, Daniel, whatever happens, I just want you to know . . . "

Daniel probably thinks, "This is where she distracts me and kicks me in the head. Well, we're not doing *that* again!" And he zats her before she can say another word!

I think that this interpretation fits with what we know of the story. It does a lot less violence to Daniel's character and still leaves room for humor.

Anyway, many happy wishes to Vala and Daniel; may they whump each other happily ever after!

(Just not in my universe. )

Comment

Originally posted by graculus
      I also love the idea that Daniel might get territorial in reaction to Vala flirting with BB's character. I'm leaving Teal'c out of this equation: if she starts flirting with T, he's such a big stud he wouldn't hesitate to move right in, lol!
      And then Ishta comes in, sees T making moves, and the fur really starts to fly! Anybody wanna make book on Vala VS Ishta?

Comment

Graculus, are you *still* on line?

Good heavens, woman!
        I left my computer on all night, lol. I did go to bed pretty late, though.

"It was your idea," which refers to Vala's words, "This suit still absorbs zat blasts." That suggests he might have thought it had some special characteristics, or that he didn't know and wasn't taking any chances.

I also thought Daniel might have been resorting to inappropriate sense of humor in his exhaustion and also probably frustration that he couldn't turn the ship around.

Vala's comment that she wanted to distract him so she could kick him in the head
        This could be just as much as a defense mechanism as Daniel's sense of humor. She doesn't want Daniel to think he's important to her when she's in such a vulnerable position.

Daniel probably thinks, "This is where she distracts me and kicks me in the head. Well, we're not doing *that* again!" And he zats her before she can say another word!
        I agree that Daniel is probably thinking that. But being too worn out to think rationally, he might have just really wanted her to be quiet. However, like you, I'd prefer to think he had a good reason before doing something that could potentially kill her. I can go with the Headkick Fear defense.

Anyway, many happy wishes to Vala and Daniel; may they whump each other happily ever after!

ROTFLMAO! I have to admit to hoping Daniel and Vala can work out a form of communication that doesn't involve so much whumping. At least Daniel is a linguist! I have faith...

Later,
        Graculus

Comment

And then Ishta comes in, sees T making moves, and the fur really starts to fly! Anybody wanna make book on Vala VS Ishta?
          ROTFLMAO! I don't want Daniel to see me making the bet, though, because my money is on Ishta rolling right over her. Vista knows how to fight, but I think the cat-suit was giving her some extra strength.

Who else wants to see Vala's Pirate Lair?

Later,
          Graculus

Comment

Something just occured to me.

Spoiler: Isn't Daniel supposed to be at death's door in Moebius? This is why he has to think seriously about the opportunity to Ascend. If this is the case, the first five eps of next Season may take place offworld. SG-1 will have to come to Daniel, to rescue him and help him. Perhaps Vala gets to him first? He might start looking at Vala in a new light if she saves his life. Vala might also kick some ass on Daniel's behalf, which might make him feel a tad better about her fighting skills.

This scenario has all sorts of fun shippy possibilities!

Later,
            Graculus

Comment

Well, I came home from work with a bug, so I want to answer you before I curl up on the couch

Originally posted by Margaret
              I think the idea about Daniel searching Vala for weapons is may be a good argument base on SOP, but it isn't supported by the script.

Daniel says, "It was your idea," which refers to Vala's words, "This suit still absorbs zat blasts." That suggests he might have thought it had some special characteristics, or that he didn't know and wasn't taking any chances.
              I'll certainly agree that his intentions/reasons weren't made clear enough for everyone. It *was* played for laughs, which did nothing for those who found the idea disturbing. Perhaps a minor error in judgement on the part of the writers.

Agreed. And I think from the variety of expressions that played on his face afterwards, he was somewhat conflicted at having done it. I would venture to say that it didn't make him happy to do it. He sure didn't look happy or pleased with himself to me, anyway. He looked somewhat regretful after he passed his 'annoyed' look. And I think the annoyance was with himself as much as her.

I think that this interpretation fits with what we know of the story. It does a lot less violence to Daniel's character and still leaves room for humor.
              Agreed. I think we need to keep in mind that they weren't just smacking each other around for the heck of it, but actually fighting for something of massive value to each of them. Daniel is incredibly loyal and stubborn and while it was played for laughs, he really had every intention of winning the ship back - no matter what it took. But, at the same time, he wasn't entirely unsympathetic with Vala's plight, if there was any truth to her story. I think he really wanted to find a solution that would benefit both of them, but every time he showed a little compassion, she'd bonk him again.

I do have to say that's a very interesting thing to play with - to use Daniel's compassion against him. This whole story could have been played out as a drama, but I really think it would have been far, far more disturbing and potentially tragic. Personally, I think Daniel's had enough tragedy in his life.

While I'm wholeheartedly in favor of keeping the 'friction' between them, I'd much rather it stay largely on the verbal side myself. You wouldn't be able to sell me on another big fight scene without something of enormous value at stake either. And that's been done. I'd like to see things taken to another level. Matching wits rather than fists, let's say.

Really, really excellent response, Margaret! I may be lured back to the forums yet!

Peace out
              Courser

Comment

Here I am, being a total nerd, but I realized something....

When I said she'd 'bonk' him again, I meant the hitting kind of bonk, not the, uh... other kind.

Oye... time for a nap!

--C

Comment

I think from the variety of expressions that played on his face afterwards, he was somewhat conflicted at having done it. I would venture to say that it didn't make him happy to do it. He sure didn't look happy or pleased with himself to me, anyway. He looked somewhat regretful after he passed his 'annoyed' look. And I think the annoyance was with himself as much as her.
                  I love that interpretation: and many of your similar ones along those same lines. I agree that as hard as Daniel tries to be rational, peaceful, etc., he's human. He does things on impulse. And then he is cursed by his academic background to analyze and reflect and guilt...

actually fighting for something of massive value to each of them.
                  Even if the Refugee story turns out to be untrue, I don't think we can rule out that Vala has a rational reason for wanting the ship (or rather the naquada she intended to trade it for). Maybe it was even for a weapon to fight the goa'uld?
                  every time he showed a little compassion, she'd bonk him again.
                  I love the psychological and moral problem this creates for Daniel.

And that's been done. I'd like to see things taken to another level. Matching wits rather than fists, let's say.
                  I'd love to find out that Vala can match Daniel IQ point for IQ point, too.

Later,
                  Graculus

Comment

Originally posted by courser
                    When I said she'd 'bonk' him again, I meant the hitting kind of bonk, not the, uh... other kind.
                    ROTFLMAO!!!

Later,
                    Graculus

Comment

What about that girl from Icon, apparently she was supposed to be Daniels new romantic interest, aren't TPTB confusing themselves with all this? Nothing against Daniel/Vala though they have a good Maybourne style chemestry, intreguing.

Comment

Originally posted by Whistler
                        What about that girl from Icon, apparently she was supposed to be Daniels new romantic interest, aren't TPTB confusing themselves with all this?
                        The woman from Icon was married. It's unclear whether Daniel returned her feelings, but they did have a long time to get to know each other well. For the record, I liked her better than past romantic possibilities, such as Kira. Because she chose to work on her marriage, though, I've never considered her as a serious ship for Daniel.

Later,
                        Graculus

Comment

Originally posted by graculus
                          Who else wants to see Vala's Pirate Lair?
                          Hey, me!

(I was gonna make Lexa the Ma Barker of an interstellar Mafia gang, but I could go for Vala and the 40 Thieves.)

Comment

I'm currently looking for web space for a Vala Pirate Lair. I'm willing to help set it up, but I don't have the time to do long term maintenance or archiving. If someone is interested in this project, PM me.

Later,
                            Graculus

Comment

I'm in favor of Vala doing Daniel a serious good turn, maybe even saving his life. That'll keep Daniel guessing!

Of course, it will be done in such a casual way and under such ambiguous circumstances that it will be impossible to tell if she did it to help him or because it benefitted herself. (Maybe she just needed the money!)

Maybe it will make Daniel wonder what makes this woman tick.

(*I'd* sure like to know what makes her tick!)

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret
                                Of course, it will be done in such a casual way and under such ambiguous circumstances that it will be impossible to tell if she did it to help him or because it benefitted herself. (Maybe she just needed the money!)
                                I think it would be fun if we couldn't quite be sure of her motives. And for me, that would be the difference between intriguing UST and gooey lovey doveys.

Later,
                                Graculus

Comment

Working...
                                X