Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
    So - what kinds of bribes are you accepting to write, finish and post that fic?

*snort*

Ah, invent me a time dilation device, some drugs that mean I can bypass sleep altogether and still function as a sane and contributing member of society, and remove my ultra perfectionist-coupled-with-insecurity-about-my-abilities gene and I will... or just darn well fix my broken laptop for starters - can't do that stuff on the work one; it feels wrong somehow.

Seriously, I'm good at having ideas, just not terribly good at having time to write them down. And when I do, the perfectionist in me has to agonise over them for, oh, at least a year before I publish. One of the ones I did for Ship day (Solace), I first wrote about 5 years ago. I kid you not.

Originally posted by Artie View Post
    SG-1 really is an unconventional extended family. They've been through so much together. Daniel is very much Sam's brother, I think. That's the vibe I get from them.

Yes, I always get the brotherly thing from them but, in an odd way, I think Cam is more brotherly than Daniel, because Cam is quite similar to Sam in some ways and there's a synchonicity between them. Absolutely zero chemistry in terms of romantic but a lovely chemistry in terms of friendship. I really love that end scene of Ark Of Truth because I love the way it shows Sam as being so bouncy and happy (fulfilled in her life) and here's Cam, who is her friend, and she's so affectionate with him. It's just lovely.
    I think Daniel thinks of Sam as like a sister to him than anything else. Teal'c I think more a brother to Jack, and almost fatherly to Sam ( I say almost because it's not quite - older brother/unde maybe? Certainly not brotherly in the same way Sam is with Daniel.) Jack and Daniel... oh so brotherly, right down to the we-don't-quite-get-along-but-we'd-die-for-each-other thing. I love them all.

Someone (not on this community) was saying that she didn't like Sam because her life was so emotionally sterile, and I thought, "She has so much love in her life!" It's not just Jack, who she clearly adores and I think she's been in an established relationship with since Threads, but everyone else too. Sam and Teal'c are obviously very close, and Cassie is very much her daughter, especially after Cassie loses Janet and is orphaned again. I don't see Sam as lonely or her life being emotionally empty at all! And everything we see of Sam and Jack in season nine and ten and in Continuum seems to me to suggest that they are affectionate, close, and happy.
    No, Sam has loads of love to give. She's a very warm and affectionate person. Just look at that awesome list of moments she touched others. People who are generally quite touchy/feely tend to be more emotionally acessible too and Sam is definitely a touching type of person.
    Oddly enough, Jack is too and, while at first he seems less emotionally accessible... actually, when you strip away the facade, he's really quite an affectionate and warm guy. They're a really well matched couple.

Oh I love Sam and Jack... and SG-1, but mostly

(and you know, I was feeling gloomy earlier - you can blame Sarah Mclachlan; it's all her fault... kind of ) but thinking that through has really made me feel smiley again. Thank you. )
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
      *snort*

No, Sam has loads of love to give. She's a very warm and affectionate person. Just look at that awesome list of moments she touched others. People who are generally quite touchy/feely tend to be more emotionally acessible too and Sam is definitely a touching type of person.
      Oddly enough, Jack is too and, while at first he seems less emotionally accessible... actually, when you strip away the facade, he's really quite an affectionate and warm guy. They're a really well matched couple.

Oh I love Sam and Jack... and SG-1, but mostly
      Of COURSE they are! That's why they still have people following them YEARS after the show got canceled!
      sigpic
      My Stories: FFdotNet
      My Stories AO3
      Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Yep....it's the time of the year again. But are people up again for Secret Santa?

If we have at least 15 people wanting to sign up, I'll organise it again

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post

(and you know, I was feeling gloomy earlier - you can blame Sarah Mclachlan; it's all her fault... kind of ) but thinking that through has really made me feel smiley again. Thank you. )
          Oh thank you!

I think it's the idea that a woman who isn't married and isn't a biological mother must be unfulfilled. I certainly don't think adoptive mothers are any less fulfilled than biological mothers, even when the child came into their life like Cassie at nine or ten rather than as an infant. And Sam says, over and over, that she doesn't want to give up her amazing job for a more conventional life. If she'd wanted to, she could have married Pete! If she'd wanted to, she would not have chosen Jack, whose relationship with her is that of a brother in arms, not of a stereotypical lover. One of the things I love about Sam is that she's chosen an unconventional life and made a family where she found it -- and she's very happy. Sam and Jack aren't Ward and June Cleaver. That's not what they want. And seeing them find that in each other is a beautiful thing.
          sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
            You SO missed a Campfire opportunity. You've still got the rest of the day. Snap to it! Everything else can wait....

I totally see Jack's reaction the same way.
            Oh, you so made me doubt myself!!! Bad Tammy, bad Tammy!

I did not miss a Campfire, I just wrote that one from Sam's POV. Humph. :::arms crossed::: (Linky to remind you)

Grumbles. I actually closed my dissertation and started writing a piece from Jack's perspective 'tilI thought, wait a minute...

Off to the corner you go, missy. No more broccoli for you! Cags, you're in charge (or SJShipper...you're closer).
            Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
              Yep....it's the time of the year again. But are people up again for Secret Santa?

Double post, but please count me in. We leave for holidays on 12/22, so I hope we do it before then, but either way, yes, please.
              Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

What's involved in Secret Santa?
                sigpic
                My Stories AO3

Comment

Raises hand for Secret Santa! Sing me up!!!!

Aka: if enough people sign up then we make presents, we all answer a questioner that RepliCartertje posts on the thread and we send it to her mail, then she randomly (I'm sure she can explain the process better) pares people for whom they'll make a pressy for. It can be a fic, vid, art, or I think almost anything related to Sam and Jack
                  And then when we celebrate shipmass, we all get the pressies from our Secret Santa. I think that's about it.
                  sigpic
                  Big thanks to josi for avi and sig

Comment

Originally posted by Devilish Me View Post
                    Raises hand for Secret Santa! Sing me up!!!!

Aka: if enough people sign up then we make presents, we all answer a questioner that RepliCartertje posts on the thread and we send it to her mail, then she randomly (I'm sure she can explain the process better) pares people for whom they'll make a pressy for. It can be a fic, vid, art, or I think almost anything related to Sam and Jack
                    That sounds fun! Count me in, too!
                    sigpic
                    My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post

Off to the corner you go, missy. No more broccoli for you! Cags, you're in charge (or SJShipper...you're closer).

*guards broccoli protectively*

I said I wasn't going to again because, well, you got let down by so many last year and it's such a hassle but,*sigh* yeah, count me in. I'll do back up duty this year too, heck, in for a penny, in for a pound. Imustbemad.

Aka. Secret Santa: Basically write a fic, do some art or a video etc. for another thread member. Eve asks us all to email our prefereces of what we want to write/make etc. and asks us preferences on what we want to receive and pops it all in her big thingabugubly that spit out names and you get told who you've got to write/make for. I;ve done two years now. First year I wrote a fic (that somehow acquired a sequel) for Jasminago... no no I won't selfpimp... ok ok then. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4714094/1/Trimming_The_Tree and the year after I got BrenRen and did some art/video for her:

and

*cough* yeah, she likes gutter, our Brenren.

EDIT: Doh! Dee beat me to it. Anyway. It's good fun.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                        What's involved in Secret Santa?
                        When u sign up, you have to make something for someone and then you will get something too from someone else.

that 'something' can be anything you want, artwork, fic, vid, poem, ...

Or what they said, much better then me

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                          I agree that hockey is really his sport of choice, but I'll bet he also watches football (The American kind. No offense, but I don't see him getting into soccer at all.). And Moebius shows that it is canon that he likes football.
                          Well, we all know RDA is a big hockey fan, that he was hoping to play for the pros before he was injured as a teen. But when was this shown to be O'Neill's "Sport of choice"? I think he references baseball more than hockey in the series. The only hockey references I can remember off the bat... or, puck... is in Fire & Water where he wacks General Hammond's car with a hockey stick.... and the teaser for the Other Guys were he and Teal'c talk about the Stanley Cup. Any others...?

Back to football... What about Sam? She grew up mostly in DC, so maybe she likes the Redskins. Could be fun rivalry been Jack's Vikings and the Sam's Skins!

Looking forward to your drabble, AKA!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
                            Well, we all know RDA is a big hockey fan, that he was hoping to play for the pros before he was injured as a teen. But when was this shown to be O'Neill's "Sport of choice"? I think he references baseball more than hockey in the series. The only hockey references I can remember off the bat... or, puck... is in Fire & Water where he wacks General Hammond's car with a hockey stick.... and the teaser for the Other Guys were he and Teal'c talk about the Stanley Cup. Any others...?

Back to football... What about Sam? She grew up mostly in DC, so maybe she likes the Redskins. Could be fun rivalry been Jack's Vikings and the Sam's Skins!

Looking forward to your drabble, AKA!!

Do we know she grew up in DC? I looked, and I couldn't find a reference to where she'd been raised.
                            sigpic
                            My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
                              But we do know he likes football because of what he said on the tape in Mobieus. I don't remember it exactly but it was something like, "Football is played on Saturday, College on Sunday... and there's no fish in my pond."
                              I forgot about that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Oh, and he mentions hockey to Elizabeth Weir in SGA, but I think that episode all took place in her mind, which I guess means there's some reason she would believe General O'Neill would be making a hockey reference.

I think he talks about baseball a lot because of Charlie; we know that was his favorite game.

I think Sam grew up all over. Just a guess, but her dad was in the Air Force and they tend to move around every few years. The only reason she's spent so long in Colorado Springs is because they can't transfer the Stargate. People, like Mark for example, probably found it odd that Sam wasn't transfer for eight years and then was shortly returned to the same base for two more.

And Eve count me in for Secret Santa please. (I'll do back up duty too if you need it.)
                              Last edited by hlndncr; 19 September 2010, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post

I did not miss a Campfire, I just wrote that one from Sam's POV. Humph. :::arms crossed::: (Linky to remind you)

Grumbles. I actually closed my dissertation and started writing a piece from Jack's perspective 'tilI thought, wait a minute...

You do realize I said that in hopes you'd write another one from Jack's perspective, right? Right?

Oopse.

So - you gonna finish and post it?

*skips happily away*
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Working...
                                X