Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
    I've been AWOL for a couple days and I come back to a great mini-fic by Akamaimom. Thanks so much for that! I LOL'd with the line, "You'd probably get a hairball," *giggle* And yay for Colonel Sam putting the gossip-girls in their place!
    You can read the new and improved version here. . . Overheard . . . if you'd like.

And thanks! ((more squishy huggles))
    sigpic
    My Stories: FFdotNet
    My Stories AO3
    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

akamaimom, you made a comment on the s/j fics rec thread that i wanted to ask you about 'here'.

you said: I don't normally like AU, but I'll read it if it's intriguing.

i know what au means (alternate universe), but are you meaning that literally, or just anything that doesn't follow the canon of the show?
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
        akamaimom, you made a comment on the s/j fics rec thread that i wanted to ask you about 'here'.

you said: I don't normally like AU, but I'll read it if it's intriguing.

i know what au means (alternate universe), but are you meaning that literally, or just anything that doesn't follow the canon of the show?
        Well, that's kind of a loaded question. Because in and of itself, sci-fi IS alternate universe. All fiction could be considered alternate universe, because none of what is being told has really happened and affected the world in anyway other than in the way that people read the book/watch the show and are thus affected by the story. Shows like SG-1 that are not set in the future but rather in the modern day are ultra-versions of AU, because they make references to current topics and yet things are happening there that are not real. So, they are alternate storylines to real stories. There is not a real Stargate in Cheyenne Mountain :gasp: But there is something in Cheyenne Mountain, so the real storyline is actual, and the fictional storyline supplants it in the alternate universe.

Clear as mud?

But what I meant was that I don't usually read AU SG-1 fic. Stories that take place out of canon (like all those stories where Sam and Jack break the regs in season 3, or where they met before and Sam got pregnant and gave the baby up for adoption, or where she and Pete get married and he abuses her and she kills him and then goes on the run. . .) aren't what normally interest me. Although I've read some that were really good, too--but it's not normally the thing that I will search for. After the show ends or after Sam goes to Area 51 and Jack is in DC is fair game to me--anything can happen. I'm not sure that, in the canon of SG-1, we are necessarily required to accept SGA or SGU as canon. I choose to in some storylines, and not to in others.

I hope that this answers your question.
        sigpic
        My Stories AO3

Comment

I'm alll for writing a fic with you guys (or at least something resembling a fic *giggles* I just read what Cags posted on the XF's and been ing ever since.

((((((((((((((Trin))))))))))))))))))))))))))

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((triiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Missed ya girl

Petra thanks for the vid recs! You most certainly posted some of my favs
          Last edited by Devilish Me; 15 September 2010, 04:05 PM.
          sigpic
          Big thanks to josi for avi and sig

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
            Well, that's kind of a loaded question. Because in and of itself, sci-fi IS alternate universe. All fiction could be considered alternate universe, because none of what is being told has really happened and affected the world in anyway other than in the way that people read the book/watch the show and are thus affected by the story. Shows like SG-1 that are not set in the future but rather in the modern day are ultra-versions of AU, because they make references to current topics and yet things are happening there that are not real. So, they are alternate storylines to real stories. There is not a real Stargate in Cheyenne Mountain :gasp: But there is something in Cheyenne Mountain, so the real storyline is actual, and the fictional storyline supplants it in the alternate universe.

Clear as mud?

But what I meant was that I don't usually read AU SG-1 fic. Stories that take place out of canon (like all those stories where Sam and Jack break the regs in season 3, or where they met before and Sam got pregnant and gave the baby up for adoption, or where she and Pete get married and he abuses her and she kills him and then goes on the run. . .) aren't what normally interest me. Although I've read some that were really good, too--but it's not normally the thing that I will search for. After the show ends or after Sam goes to Area 51 and Jack is in DC is fair game to me--anything can happen. I'm not sure that, in the canon of SG-1, we are necessarily required to accept SGA or SGU as canon. I choose to in some storylines, and not to in others.

I hope that this answers your question.
            that does answer my question.

sometimes the word 'au' has been used in such a way as i get confused, b/c it originally meant 'alternate universe'.

as for fics, i'll pretty much try any kind of fic, as long as it's written well and the characters *feel* real to me.
            sally

sigpic

Comment

So here's a shippy question for all of you. . .

I'm watching "Point of View" (in preparation for a fic for a certain sig maker--Oma ), and it struck me that Dr. Samantha Carter is supposedly married to Jack O'Neill in her universe, and yet she identifies herself as "Samantha Carter" and NOT "Samantha O'Neill".

What does that mean?
              Last edited by Akamaimom; 15 September 2010, 03:51 PM.
              sigpic
              My Stories AO3

Comment

that does answer my question.

sometimes the word 'au' has been used in such a way as i get confused, b/c it originally meant 'alternate universe'.

as for fics, i'll pretty much try any kind of fic, as long as it's written well and the characters *feel* real to me.
                Ditto the bolded bit.

Comment

I'm watching "Point of View" in preparation for a fic for a certain sig maker--Oma ), and it struck me that Dr. Samantha Carter is supposedly married to Jack O'Neill in her universe, and yet she identifies herself as "Samantha Carter" and NOT "Samantha O'Neill".

What does that mean?
                  maybe she just wants to keep her original last name for career purposes?

but i'd prefer sam carter -o'neill or sam o'neill.
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

I agree with Akamiamom about most AU fics. I don't like ANY that has Sam marrying Pete, no matter if he becomes an abusive husband or not. She had the good sense to stop her relationship with him when she realizes her true feelings were for Jack, so any that have her actually marry the shrub makes her look weak (IMO). I don't mind ones where they begin a relationship in an earlier season, as long as the story allows them NOT to break the regs. I don't mind ones that have them in a relationship beforehand, as long as she is a civilian like in AU realities... not when she's in the military. *whew* (As if anyone cares!)

Comment

I'm watching "Point of View" in preparation for a fic for a certain sig maker--Oma ), and it struck me that Dr. Samantha Carter is supposedly married to Jack O'Neill in her universe, and yet she identifies herself as "Samantha Carter" and NOT "Samantha O'Neill".

What does that mean?
                      Welll...... lets see.

I would theorize that she didn't want anyone to know that she was married to her Jack cause that would give away too much information about her and the possibility is that there is a Sam Carter in the universe where she and Kawalsky transversed so she maybe wanted for people to be a little more familiar with her, because of the name, and of course 'what's in a name' - I would say everything, because no one has heard of Sam O'Neill, because this wasn't the right universe, the one she left, or even the one next to it, where Sam was Sam O'Neill and not Sam Carter, being of course married to Jack O'Neill - two L's. Then again she we do know about Sam having that 'chip on her shoulder' she might have chosen to keep her own name.

Skip the to here!!!! I think everything Sam does, in any universe, is very calculated, so she would never introduce herself as Samantha O'Neill. She and Kawalsky probably had a talk about that, about what to share with the 'new people'. She was genuenly surprised to see Jack at the briefing, which means she wasn't expecting him to be part of the program or that he was dead as well. She didn't want to think about her dead husband, and probably didn't want to explain why she was an O'Neill and not Carter. I base this on the fact that Jack only that she was married accidentally - though she probably would've told them all eventually, had she stayed. And I know that some might say that she put up that picture below the lamp so that anyone could've seen it, but imho she put it there, because she really didn't see any way out of the situation but staying in the reality where Jack wasn't her Jack. The position where she put the pickie just tells me that she wanted to see it when ever she woke up... ((((Samatha... O'Neill)))) lol.

Wow... it's been a long time since I offered my opinion or written something so long... I need to rethink my use of stops, and commas.
                      sigpic

Comment

I agree with Akamiamom about most AU fics. I don't like ANY that has Sam marrying Pete, no matter if he becomes an abusive husband or not. She had the good sense to stop her relationship with him when she realizes her true feelings were for Jack, so any that have her actually marry the shrub makes her look weak (IMO). I don't mind ones where they begin a relationship in an earlier season, as long as the story allows them NOT to break the regs. I don't mind ones that have them in a relationship beforehand, as long as she is a civilian like in AU realities... not when she's in the military. *whew* (As if anyone cares!)

I tend to think that the evilSam from Ripple Effect married Pete.

I think I agree with majorsal... then again, I would actually read ANYTHING! Even badly written fics...
                        sigpic

Comment

maybe she just wants to keep her original last name for career purposes?

but i'd prefer sam carter -o'neill or sam o'neill.
                          Agreed! She was a noted and probably published doctor in Theoretical Astrophysics before she met Jack. So she decided to keep Cater professionally. But Cater-O'neill has a nice ring to it

btw... Isn't "Tapping" Amanda's maiden name... not her husband's? Perhaps she also had some influence on the decision for Dr. Carter to not take O'neill's name... (just an observation)

Also, the story writers probably didn't want to give it away early on. The fact that AU Sam and AU Jack are married isn't revealed right away!

Comment

... I now have the strong feeling to yell: IT WAS JOLINAR!!!!*

*In the line of duty... when Jolinar yells:Jack! Please!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Devilish Me View Post
                              I tend to think that the evilSam from Ripple Effect married Pete.
                              o
                              Actually, I think I agree with you about EVIL Sam!! But the the "SAM" that was on maternity leave, was definitely married to JACK!

Comment

oh, i don't like to read sam/pete stories either, even if it leads to sam and jack getting together! i don't enjoy stories i have to endure to get through, well written or not!
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X