Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
    You know, at the end of the day, all that matters is they (and this great manip) make me smile. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Seahen View Post
      You know, at the end of the day, all that matters is they (and this great manip) make me smile. Thanks

And don't forget that, at the end of the day, they also go fishing!
      sigpic
      Live Peace. Speak Kindness. Dwell in possibility.
      My Livejournal. | My fanfictions. | My videos. | My twitter.
      Beautiful avi and sig are birthday presents fom josiane!

Comment

*pops up* Wheeeeee!

Comment

Originally posted by CaramelMonkey View Post
          Originally posted by YouTube
          This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Is the vid available anywhere else?
          No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
          It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
            If you can get grumpy because I say it's not ugly, then I can get grumpy because you say it is. So there.
            Well I never said I find it ugly (actually I don't and largely agree with your assessment), just that people are entitled to their own opinions and they aren't wrong, just different.

(and, sorry, I didn't mean I was grumpy at you for saying it was ugly; I'm just grumpy in general because both my hands are bandaged up and I'm in pain and typing with just your pinky fingers is difficult and awkward. )

But if you really want to talk about ugly, those orange pjs in Beneath the Surface take the cake in my book. And that hat thing Jack is wearing at the beginning of the episode... Good thing Sam loves him anyway.

What? No... I thought those PJs were gorgeous...

...er...

...ok, no, I do completely agree with you there. I kind of liked the hat though; quirky!

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
            I just read that. It's called Thyself Unknown by MissAnnThropic.

Ah see that's the fic (one of anyway) that put me off reading WIPs because the sequel was never completed and I felt let down and left hanging by it. I might have been less upset had the fic not been so darn great. ) I always wait until fics are complete before reading these days.

Do you know your Sam/Jack ABCs? Come on, won't you sing with me?

A:

Fluff: Alternate Realities (Where Sam and Jack are almost always together.)
            Angst: Air Force (What brought them together and keeps them apart.)
            Gutter: Abs (You know what I'm talking about.)

B:

Fluff: Bass that grow *this* big.
            Angst: Beneath the surface of Jonah and Thera are two people whose lives are dictated by rules.
            Gutter: Broca Divide virus making Sam go all I-must-mate-with-the-alpha-male.

C:

Fluff: Casting a fishing pole together. <3
            Angst: Calling her Carter all those years. (I find it angsty enough. ;P)
            Gutter: Checking his belly in Hathor.

D:

Fluff: Sitting on a dock, trying to catch non-existent fish.
            Angst: Desperately trying to break through that forceshield.
            Gutter: The "Do not disturb" sign on the puddlejumper door (Moebuis)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
              Since the first post I saw criticizing the dress, I've been biting my tongue.

That is, in its context, a beautiful dress. What it's not is western, or modern. Thus, so many modern American eyes find it ugly and unflattering. There's a great essay in the last chapter of Seeing Through Clothes (which is about how our experiences with fashion affect how we see the human body) about historical clothing in movies and why, if you want accurate representations, you have to look at the background characters rather than the stars. Clothing for main characters is often altered (and hairstyles almost always are) to make them attractive to modern audiences.

The dress in Emancipation is ugly (to some) in part because Sam (and possibly Amanda, too--I don't know) think it's ugly. The same goes for the headdress. To my eye (as a costumer of 30+ years standing), I think both are gorgeous, although I probably wouldn't wear either.

Seaboe
              Personally, I don't think she hated it because it was ugly. I think she didn't like it because it was entirely too impractical. She was a soldier on a mission and that dress was the exact opposite of what she was trying to project. It was feminine and basically made her almost helpless or appear helpless. The dress and headgear appear to be quite formal compared to the other women, not for every day wearing which made it even more impractical.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                I don't discount that the workmanship was amazing--I have been in awe of the costuming and the set design of the show since the first episode that I saw and for each episode beyond that. I don't have to think they're beautiful to appreciate that they are amazing pieces of work. I would love to see these pieces close up--on display. And although I didn't particularly like the dress--or the hat--or the veil--I can acknowledge that they were beautiful.

But that particular dress (and the costumes of the people in The Broca Divide) seemed out of place for me--given that the other women weren't garbed in anything as ornate. I know that they wanted to emphasize Carter's obvious charms, and that the dress had to be something extraordinary, and at first I thought that the discrepancy between her clothing and the other women was due to her being a guest in the village. But it was distracting later on, when she was relegated to "owned" status amongst the bad guy's women. I would have thought that her clothing would have become the property of Turghan (I have no idea how to spell that. . .) and that something that costly would have been taken in this sort of society and given to a woman of more status than Sam.

I don't know if other people felt the same way, but it wasn't a cultural thing for me. It was a distraction. And in theater (at least in my years of theater), anything that distracted the audience away from the actual play was struck from the set, because the story is more important than the individual costume pieces, no matter how gorgeous they are. I think that's what PdL was talking about the hats. That first season was all about hats. All the Goa'uld in the pilot wore these enormous headdresses, that, while artistically amazing, made me think, "Wow. Look at those hats." Instead of "Wow--look what's happening." And honestly, that's often detrimental to a performance.

IMHO.
                Perhaps she continued to wear it because she was a prize and he was showing her off as his newest possession. In that case, he would want her displayed in finery to make her more highly valued to others.
                sigpic

Comment

Do you know your Sam/Jack ABCs? Come on, won't you sing with me?

A:

B:

Angst: Beneath the surface of Jonah and Thera are two people whose lives are dictated by rules.

C:

D:

E:

Fluff: Event Horizon ("I adore you already.")
                  Angst: Entity
                  Gutter: Eye sex

Comment

A:

B:

C:

D:

E:

Fluff: Event Horizon ("I adore you already.")
                    Angst: Entity
                    Gutter: Eye sex

F:

Fluff: Fishing. . .
                    Angst: Fishing???
                    Gutter: Fishing!!!
                    Last edited by Akamaimom; 31 August 2010, 07:59 AM.
                    sigpic
                    My Stories: FFdotNet
                    My Stories AO3
                    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                      Two most poignant words in the series,

"Major."

"Sir."

AAARGH!!!!! Talk about sliding deep into the Cavern of Angst!
                      Oh god yes, and that ever so slight hesitation on his "sir", stabs me in the heart everytime

(Sorry it's a quick run in & out the hockey season has begun)

Comment

Originally posted by Fluffy17 View Post
                        Oh god yes, and that ever so slight hesitation on his "sir", stabs me in the heart everytime

(Sorry it's a quick run in & out the hockey season has begun)
                        Not to mention that little grimace he makes as he says it.

My heart breaks a little, every time.

sigpic
                        My Stories AO3

Comment

*Popping in...*

RE: the dress.

I have always hated Daniel's line (when Sam asks why she has to wear the dress) of "Why not, anthropologists dress like the natives all the time." (paraphrasing here).

Captain, Doctor, Samantha Carter is NOT an anthropologist, nor is she a social scientist of any sort. It was a weak argument for putting her in a dress, and one for which I blame the writing team. I would have written it more as *Sam* being the one willing to try new things, perhaps to "prove herself" to the still-new CO?

Whether the dress is pretty or not is irrelevant. What is relevant is that it was a device, and a weak one.

Now...with my shippy glasses back on...I love Jack's reaction. When he says something along the lines of, "you DO look great, you know." or whatever.

Inappropriate? Oh yeah.

Cute? Yup.
                          Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                            *Popping in...*

RE: the dress.

I have always hated Daniel's line (when Sam asks why she has to wear the dress) of "Why not, anthropologists dress like the natives all the time." (paraphrasing here).

Captain, Doctor, Samantha Carter is NOT an anthropologist, nor is she a social scientist of any sort. It was a weak argument for putting her in a dress, and one for which I blame the writing team. I would have written it more as *Sam* being the one willing to try new things, perhaps to "prove herself" to the still-new CO?

Whether the dress is pretty or not is irrelevant. What is relevant is that it was a device, and a weak one.

Now...with my shippy glasses back on...I love Jack's reaction. When he says something along the lines of, "you DO look great, you know." or whatever.

Inappropriate? Oh yeah.

Cute? Yup.
                            Double Yup.

Or do two 'yups' equal one "YUM"?
                            sigpic
                            My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post

Inappropriate? Oh yeah.

Cute? Yup.

And that cute little smile he gives her when he walks out...

I may have to watch it tonight just for that.
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                                And that cute little smile he gives her when he walks out...

I may have to watch it tonight just for that.
                                Now THAT'S sacrifice for you!

Anything for the SHIP, people. Anything at all!
                                sigpic
                                My Stories AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X