Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of Course!!
    Sadly, they'll also probably end up on my not-so-virtual butt!
    sigpic
    My Stories: FFdotNet
    My Stories AO3
    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Honestly - I'm of the opinion that "I'm not that complex" is more of a "guy" thing than a "Jack" thing. I'd say my husband has a lot of layers but when it comes to what he thinks, he's straightforward. Women (and this is me talking in generalities about my own gender) tend to overanalyze things. I was talking about this with Elijah this weekend - I find it way less stressful to hang out with the guys at work because they're just "them". Jack is complex in some ways, but at the same time he is what he is. He maybe afraid to get close to Sam given his history, but I can almost guarantee he wouldn't have had the type of hallucination Sam had.

Am I making sense or am I completely incoherent?

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
        Honestly - I'm of the opinion that "I'm not that complex" is more of a "guy" thing than a "Jack" thing. I'd say my husband has a lot of layers but when it comes to what he thinks, he's straightforward. Women (and this is me talking in generalities about my own gender) tend to overanalyze things. I was talking about this with Elijah this weekend - I find it way less stressful to hang out with the guys at work because they're just "them". Jack is complex in some ways, but at the same time he is what he is. He maybe afraid to get close to Sam given his history, but I can almost guarantee he wouldn't have had the type of hallucination Sam had.

sounds reasonable enough to me....

of course I'm not firing on all cylinders either....so I'd take that with a grain of salt...

Comment

I'd tend to agree on some levels. I think that guys are more honest about some things than women. But I also think that if Jack were actually to be asked whether he were complex or not, he'd answer that he wasn't.
          sigpic
          My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
            I'd tend to agree on some levels. I think that guys are more honest about some things than women. But I also think that if Jack were actually to be asked whether he were complex or not, he'd answer that he wasn't.
            I agree with that. I don't think we were disagreeing.

Comment

I agree with that. I don't think we were disagreeing.
              I'm so glad!

In all, I think that the overwhelming view (at least among some people) of Jack is a happy go lucky doofus. But I think that there are two shows that show his many levels.

Window Of Opportunity
              The Abyss

WoO especially. You can't watch that ep without coming away with a view of Jack that doesn't have many layers to the proverbial cake.
              sigpic
              My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post

Women tend to think about their emotions, men generally simply feel them and act on them. This is of course a generalization, but this tendency to 'overthink' is one of the reasons why experts believe women tend to suffer more obviously and deeply from depression and anxiety than men do. Now, it's also possible (and quite probable) a lot of this is based on training and isn't simply instinct...

That said, I think Sam's imagining Jack saying "I'm not that complex" is actually Sam's fear speaking. She's afraid that 'what she sees is what she gets,' and for the past few years, what she's seen has simply been Jack treating her almost exclusively as nothing more than a comrade and - sometimes - a friend. In her imaginings and hopes she's likely ascribed all kinds of other deep motives and explanations for his change in attitude towards her, but in the end her deepest fear is he's 'not that complex' and what she sees - friendship - is all he really has to offer her. Or, in other words, that he no longer loves her the way she wants him to. It's this paralyzing fear, IMHO, that he doesn't want more and that, therefore, she might lose what she has in reaching for more which leads to her not following through on the even deeper subconscious message of that kiss and dating Pete instead of confronting Jack with her feelings.

Then. At least

EDIT: I would argue, too, that *most* men are more complex emotionally than they want most people to know. I think they tend to wear simplicity - to discuss even amongst their closest friends superficialities more often than not - as a sort of armor to protect themselves from the ridicule they know (or fear) they'll get if they let themselves appear emotionally vulnerable. I see this barrier forming in my second son who is very emotionally sensitive and gets teased about it by other boys though I think it probably exists in most men to an extent, I'm just seeing it obviously in him.
                Last edited by JenniferJF; 22 June 2010, 09:16 PM.

Comment

I see this barrier forming in my second son who is very emotionally sensitive and gets teased about it by other boys though I think it probably exists in most men to an extent, I'm just seeing it obviously in him.
                  Me too--My oldest son is very sensitive, and he's channeled it into humor. Like someone else we know?
                  sigpic
                  My Stories AO3

Comment

OT: I know father's day was this past Sunday so I have. To ask what do u think our happily married couple did? Maybe went to the cementarys where Jacob and Charlie are buried respectively or any ideas?

Comment

OT: I know father's day was this past Sunday so I have. To ask what do u think our happily married couple did? Maybe went to the cementarys where Jacob and Charlie are buried respectively or any ideas?
                      Not so OT, you know!

I think that they would have spent Memorial Day at gravesides, if that was what they do. I'm not sure they do.

Father's Day would have been spent together, maybe riding motorcycles, or going to a movie, or just sleeping **ahem** in late and enjoying each others' company.
                      sigpic
                      My Stories AO3

Comment

New vid

sigpic
                        Big thanks to josi for avi and sig

Comment

Great video, DM! Loved it!

Comment

Great video, DM! Loved it!
                            To which I add, "More! More!"

And:

Spoiler:
                            I'm sure Sam agrees. . .
                            sigpic
                            My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Devilish Me View Post
                              OMGoodness . . . Wow! I love this. The music was great (my head was bobbing to the music) and the scenes you picked were perfect for the song. This vid is going on my iPod.
                              sigpic
                              I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                                Me too--My oldest son is very sensitive, and he's channeled it into humor. Like someone else we know?
                                My brother has always been very sensitive. But, then, being the youngest with three older sisters, what can you expect? He's also the kindest, nicest person I know (but them I'm biased ... ). He also has a wicked sense of humor.

Comment

Working...
                                X