No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting to note that almost all the scenes that were cut were the ones pertaining to either the Jaffa story or Daniel's story. Most of those that involve Sam, Jack or Sam and Jack are intact. Hmm!
    So, you're saying that the rest was filler?

I think that the producers knew that there would be a revolt if something didn't get settled--even sort of settled. Daniel always returns from the dead, and the Jaffa will always say, "we must do this or all we have fought for will have been in vain". Those things were never in question.

Jack and Sam, however, and the virtual demise of Pete. . .We HAD to see something!
    sigpic
    My Stories: FFdotNet
    My Stories AO3
    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
      Yes--my hubby got me into Stargate and I have long since gone into hyper-obsessed mode. The difference between us is that he loves the entire franchise, and I admit to only obsessing over the SG-1 part of it.
      My parents got us into it then we returned the favor and did the same for our kids.

And now our daughter refers to SGA: Queen as the Princess episode and wants to be a Wraith Queen when she grows up. She takes after her grandmother.

AND... On topic...

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
        Interesting to note that almost all the scenes that were cut were the ones pertaining to either the Jaffa story or Daniel's story. Most of those that involve Sam, Jack or Sam and Jack are intact. Hmm!
        Because I'm slightly insane, I actually think the things cut from the Sam/Jacob/Pete scene and the scenes cut from the conference room scene - Jack, Sam and Jacob's reaction and interaction over the phone call from Pete - are highly significant as to the state of mind of all three. Without them, we miss a large part of the growing sense that Sam realizes her engagement isn't right and we don't really feel the tension that's mounting in her and between all of them the way we do in the longer version. Her decision then to confront Jack after the visit to the house and Jacob's dying words to her come, IMHO, are far less and explained and come almost out-of-the-blue in the shorter version. And as for her visit to Jack's house: the scene with her sitting in her car looking at his house while the smoke curls upward and you see her engagement ring on her hand as she sits there thinking and hesitating and trying to drum up the courage to confront Jack... That is one of the most beautiful scenes in it's imagery and meaning and it's really, IMHO, the fulcrum upon which their entire relationship pivots.

So I actually think they cut out some of the most significant beats in the Sam/Jack story in that shortened episode. But, like I warned, I'm nearly insane.

Comment

Jenn, if you're insane then I'm joining you in the asylum. I've never seen the shortened version, but I can't imagine cutting the scene in the conference room! The fact that there's important stuff going on (what was that again? Jaffa something or other?) and Jack is totally focused on Sam and her phone call!

With the subtlety that the S/J relationship is built on, I think you need each moment to really pull together the full story. RDA and AT are so good and the writing is so great that they tell pages and pages worth of story in glances, touches, and quiet moments.

Comment

Jenn, if you're insane then I'm joining you in the asylum. I've never seen the shortened version, but I can't imagine cutting the scene in the conference room! The fact that there's important stuff going on (what was that again? Jaffa something or other?) and Jack is totally focused on Sam and her phone call!

With the subtlety that the S/J relationship is built on, I think you need each moment to really pull together the full story. RDA and AT are so good and the writing is so great that they tell pages and pages worth of story in glances, touches, and quiet moments.
            I've never seen it with that scene cut. Holy cow, it wouldn't make sense. I LOVE it when Jack says, "It's supposed to be your day off, anyway. Go pick flowers." And then Jacob's reaction--that fake innocence that's not fooling anyone.

SOOOO awesome!

If they cut those scenes, then I would hate it. I think that those scenes are a turning point, too. Having met Pete, I think that Jacob is giving his "subtle" hint about what he really thinks of Pete. And then when he totally lies and says that Selmak likes him--by then Selmak is in a coma. He can't approve or disapprove of squat by then.

So, I'm rambling, but then this is one of the best episodes ever, and I can't bring myself to watch it when it's on SyFy because they show the shorter one, so I just keep my DVDs handy!
            sigpic
            My Stories AO3

Comment

I've never seen it with that scene cut. Holy cow, it wouldn't make sense. I LOVE it when Jack says, "It's supposed to be your day off, anyway. Go pick flowers." And then Jacob's reaction--that fake innocence that's not fooling anyone.

SOOOO awesome!

If they cut those scenes, then I would hate it. I think that those scenes are a turning point, too. Having met Pete, I think that Jacob is giving his "subtle" hint about what he really thinks of Pete. And then when he totally lies and says that Selmak likes him--by then Selmak is in a coma. He can't approve or disapprove of squat by then.

So, I'm rambling, but then this is one of the best episodes ever, and I can't bring myself to watch it when it's on SyFy because they show the shorter one, so I just keep my DVDs handy!

Why is everything suddenly being posted twice? I promise I didn't do that!!!!!
              sigpic
              My Stories AO3

Comment

SOOOO awesome!

IIRC, it isn't so much that they cut the scene, it's more like they trim the scenes. Cut a line here and there.
                sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Still. Snippage is not cool - it's like shrinkage... and I'm going to stop now before I dive into the deep end of the gutter.

Comment

Still. Snippage is not cool - it's like shrinkage... and I'm going to stop now before I dive into the deep end of the gutter.
                    What, like laundry? Tee hee hee.
                    sigpic
                    My Stories AO3

Comment

SOOOO awesome!

Why is everything suddenly being posted twice? I promise I didn't do that!!!!!
                      "Threads" was on Syfy this week, and they did cut that whole "flower" bit in the conference room.

Comment

"Threads" was on Syfy this week, and they did cut that whole "flower" bit in the conference room.
                        Well, then I'm overjoyed that i did not watch.

By the way, voting begins on the 8th for Round Two of the Gateworld Fanfic Competition. This time the stories are easier to find, and anonymous. So come out and read a little, vote a little, and waste a little time with some good time fun!

Click HERE for link.
                        sigpic
                        My Stories AO3

Comment

Yes--my hubby got me into Stargate and I have long since gone into hyper-obsessed mode. The difference between us is that he loves the entire franchise, and I admit to only obsessing over the SG-1 part of it.

And that fic sounds interesting. . .

I think that the reason that I got into only SG-1 is Jack/Sam. They were my series kryptonite--my downfall into ultimate, hopeless shippyness. Once under their spell, I was never quite the same. Darn.
                          im the same about only loving SG1 as i just am not as interested in the other two partly because of sam/jack but also because all the characters and stories feel so much stronger in SG1.
                          Last edited by chrono trigger; 06 May 2010, 06:11 AM.
                          sigpic
                          The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

im the same about only loving SG1 as i just am not as interested in the other two partly because of sam/jack but also because all the characters and stories feel so much sronger in SG1.
                            There are stories out there for everyone--I just found the characters in SG-1 more compelling. . .Namely, Jack and Sam. . .

sigpic
                            My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                              Because I'm slightly insane, I actually think the things cut from the Sam/Jacob/Pete scene and the scenes cut from the conference room scene - Jack, Sam and Jacob's reaction and interaction over the phone call from Pete - are highly significant as to the state of mind of all three. Without them, we miss a large part of the growing sense that Sam realizes her engagement isn't right and we don't really feel the tension that's mounting in her and between all of them the way we do in the longer version. Her decision then to confront Jack after the visit to the house and Jacob's dying words to her come, IMHO, are far less and explained and come almost out-of-the-blue in the shorter version. And as for her visit to Jack's house: the scene with her sitting in her car looking at his house while the smoke curls upward and you see her engagement ring on her hand as she sits there thinking and hesitating and trying to drum up the courage to confront Jack... That is one of the most beautiful scenes in it's imagery and meaning and it's really, IMHO, the fulcrum upon which their entire relationship pivots.

So I actually think they cut out some of the most significant beats in the Sam/Jack story in that shortened episode. But, like I warned, I'm nearly insane.

Well I never said that the scenes involving Sam or Jack that they did cut weren't siginificant.

On the bolded, yes, I do agree with that. In particular that whole conference room scene because it leaves you with absoluetly no doubt whatsoever that Jacob knows exactly how Jack feels about his daughter, and how she feels about him. I see that moment as Jacob testing her resolve to marry this other guy (the one Jacob obviously does not like, as observed in the earlier scene also cut in the short version). He knows mentioning the wedding will be hurtful to Jack but what he's really doing here is seeing whether Sam is hurt that she's hurting Jack - which she is. I think he's trying to, in a subtle way, force the issue for them. Later, when he's dying and doesn't have much time, he's far more direct about that (although still necessarily ambigious enough for the non/anti shipper portion of the audience to la la la their way through the deep and murky waters of denial. )

Insane? You? Nah!

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
                              IIRC, it isn't so much that they cut the scene, it's more like they trim the scenes. Cut a line here and there.
                              Yes, hmm, most concise than I put it (Hi, my name is Cags and I'm founding member of waffling anonymous ). Much of ther Jaffa story is cut; a lot of the Daniel story is cut... but the Sam/Jack/Kerry/Pete/Jacob storylines are trimmed, while maintaining the essence of the plot. The story is largely intact if the subtlety of it is boshed about a bit.

SOOOO awesome!

Yes...oh *looks up*
                              Yep, I fangurl all over that scene too. You just... waffled less.

(Waffling; ah how apt!)

I've seen the short version only once. I didn't like the cuts they made to any of it because the nuances of the situation do kind of get lost in the process. I almost wish they'd made it longer actually; a two parter so we have a long four story end of season arc including Reckoning before. Honestly; if the'd never made a single SG-1 epsiode after Threads I would have felt the series ended perfectly.
                              Last edited by Cagranosalis; 06 May 2010, 01:54 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                                Yep, I fangurl all over that scene too. You just... waffled less.

(Waffling; ah how apt!)
                                I was going to point that out because it is, after all:

Comment

Working...
                                X