No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if this has already been posted. Not a clue.

But it's one of Amanda Tapping's interview videos from when she was in Paris. And it was posted on the Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping thread. I thought it cool, and it has a really great comment at the end of video.

One that I soooo think should be discussed.

http://www.allocine.fr/personne/fich...media=19096217
    sigpic
    Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

But it's one of Amanda Tapping's interview videos from when she was in Paris. And it was posted on the Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping thread. I thought it cool, and it has a really great comment at the end of video.

That actually made my heart skip a beat! And I agree about the accessibility of the show. And the accessibility of Sam. Jack should be accessible for her. Ha ha.

But fantastic interview! And I SOOO appreciate AT even more after watching it. Great lady.
      sigpic
      My Stories: FFdotNet
      My Stories AO3
      Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
        That actually made my heart skip a beat! And I agree about the accessibility of the show. And the accessibility of Sam. Jack should be accessible for her. Ha ha.

But fantastic interview! And I SOOO appreciate AT even more after watching it. Great lady.
        Oh yes, definitely. My heart squeed.

sigpic
        Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post

First of all, what a fantastic and lovely lady AT is!!! She's so centered and down-to-earth - it's very refreshing!

Now, then, on to the really important thing... I love the way she says it too - they'd "get it on!" LOL

*Happy dance!!!!!!*

Dang right they've been waiting a long time!!

Has anyone heard anything about the potential 3rd SG1 movie? I know they were talking about it a long while ago and now things have been silent. It was supposed to be Jack-focused movie... in which case we might have seen something... too bad it looks like that projects been put on ice.

Okay, now excuse me while I go back to splashing about in the gutter... (I blame it on AT and her "get it on" remark )

Comment

So....

Am I the only one not happy with the way the ship was brought up in that interview? There's this lovely in depth conversation about Sanctuary, and some rather in depth thoughts about the Stargate franchise in general and then, at the end, that question and response about Sam/Jack which was a bit trivial and silly. And then one wonders why The Ship isn't taken seriously as part of the show or the character's development...

Sorry.

But I had to say it

Don't get me wrong, the interview was very good up until the end, but just compare the discussion about Helen/Ashley to Sam/Jack and you might see what I mean.

/wanders off to the land of Bad Shippers

EDIT: Though in my defense I had a root canal this morning so it's possible I'm not in my right mind.

Comment

First of all, what a fantastic and lovely lady AT is!!! She's so centered and down-to-earth - it's very refreshing!

Now, then, on to the really important thing... I love the way she says it too - they'd "get it on!" LOL
              The thing I like about her is that she's real. She even acknowledges there that some things trump regulations--and that there is a time for just going for it. It makes me believe that they would have found a way to be together--and it makes her time for "personal reasons" at Area 51 all the more important for them. . .

So....

Am I the only one not happy with the way the ship was brought up in that interview? There's this lovely in depth conversation about Sanctuary, and some rather in depth thoughts about the Stargate franchise in general and then, at the end, that question and response about Sam/Jack which was a bit trivial and silly. And then one wonders why The Ship isn't taken seriously as part of the show or the character's development...

Sorry.

But I had to say it
              But it was obviously edited--who knows what else she'd been asked before? So it may have been that she didn't only say that about the relationship--that there was much more than that, but that the interviewer cut it in such a way as to focus on what he/she wanted to focus.

And it was silly, but at this point, I'll take silly. I don't think it downplays the show's character development in any way. I think that it is lending credence to the fact that the ship was there at all.

And as for the root canal--ouch. I've never had one, but I'm definitely hoping you feel better soon. And maybe it will inspire another "interruptus" fic for all of us to drool (pun intended) over.
              sigpic
              My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                So....

Sorry.

But I had to say it

Don't get me wrong, the interview was very good up until the end, but just compare the discussion about Helen/Ashley to Sam/Jack and you might see what I mean.

/wanders off to the land of Bad Shippers

EDIT: Though in my defense I had a root canal this morning so it's possible I'm not in my right mind.
                I wasn't happy about the Ship being the last, quick question, but it seemed more of a Sanctuary interview though. I don't think that she is being trivial or silly, but more uncomfortable. After playing the UST role with Jack for so long and then to think of them "getting it on", she probably feels a little embarassed talking about it that way or even picturing it that way. So she giggles, and deflects with humor. Just like Jack would. I think the Ship is taken seriously, since the writers and directors are placing the subtle hints in certain moments of the show and they keep us wanting more.

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                The thing I like about her is that she's real. She even acknowledges there that some things trump regulations--and that there is a time for just going for it. It makes me believe that they would have found a way to be together--and it makes her time for "personal reasons" at Area 51 all the more important for them. . .

But it was obviously edited--who knows what else she'd been asked before? So it may have been that she didn't only say that about the relationship--that there was much more than that, but that the interviewer cut it in such a way as to focus on what he/she wanted to focus.

And it was silly, but at this point, I'll take silly. I don't think it downplays the show's character development in any way. I think that it is lending credence to the fact that the ship was there at all.

And as for the root canal--ouch. I've never had one, but I'm definitely hoping you feel better soon. And maybe it will inspire another "interruptus" fic for all of us to drool (pun intended) over.
                I agree with you, Sharon, so much went on after Threads and when she was transferred to Area 51. We know what the real personal reasons were.

True about the interview, it has been edited, just not very well at the end.
                sigpic
                I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

Originally posted by Treknik View Post
                  I wasn't happy about the Ship being the last, quick question, but it seemed more of a Sanctuary interview though. I don't think that she is being trivial or silly, but more uncomfortable. After playing the UST role with Jack for so long and then to think of them "getting it on", she probably feels a little embarassed talking about it that way or even picturing it that way. So she giggles, and deflects with humor. Just like Jack would. I think the Ship is taken seriously, since the writers and directors are placing the subtle hints in certain moments of the show and they keep us wanting more.
                  It's not AT herself that I'm talking about, but just the fact that, even in a rather serious primarily Sanctuary related interview, the 'ghost' of Sam/Jack in a relatively silly and trivial way still rears its head because, if I got the gist of the question, it was a rather randomly silly question compared to the others, proving in general Sam/Jack isn't taken very seriously at all (compared to, say, Helen/Ashley) despite the fact I think that relationship is just as significant in who Sam is as Helen's relationship with Ashley is for her. AT handled it brilliantly, but I can't help but think somewhere in the back of her mind was a "Gah. This again?"

Of course, for fair balance, I have to point out absolute confirmation and resolution would likely put an end to much of that and quite possibly, if done well, bring S/J where it belongs, fully out of the realm of the silly and the trivial.

Comment

It's not AT herself that I'm talking about, but just the fact that, even in a rather serious primarily Sanctuary related interview, the 'ghost' of Sam/Jack in a relatively silly and trivial way still rears its head because, if I got the gist of the question, it was a rather randomly silly question compared to the others, proving in general Sam/Jack isn't taken very seriously at all (compared to, say, Helen/Ashley) despite the fact I think that relationship is just as significant in who Sam is as Helen's relationship with Ashley is for her. AT handled it brilliantly, but I can't help but think somewhere in the back of her mind was a "Gah. This again?"

Of course, for fair balance, I have to point out absolute confirmation and resolution would likely put an end to much of that and quite possibly, if done well, bring S/J where it belongs, fully out of the realm of the silly and the trivial.
                    But AT does refer to Sci Fi as a genre, which does encourage questions other than the Sanctuary questions. Again, I don't know how long the actual interview was, and how much was removed, but I see these interviews all the time, and they usually do throw in a few questions about the actor's previous work in there--so I can see the person just throwing in the juiciest tidbits in there at the end. That's my take on it. . .
                    sigpic
                    My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post

I was referring to your statement about the response to the question. AT's giggling and looking away.

I should have added, I do see the question being silly and trivial. Throwing in a question of Sam/Jack when you are having a deep and serious conversation about Sanctuary and its characters. And I can see her roll her eyes and think "This again?"

Yes, an absolute confirmation/resolution would be a perfect ending to the questions.
                      sigpic
                      I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

Originally posted by Treknik View Post
                        I was referring to your statement about the response to the question. AT's giggling and looking away.
                        Oh, I never thought AT's response was bad. I think she handled it extremely well. My point is just that, in asking *that* question specifically as pretty much the only one about Sam as a character and that, even if it were the only one left in out of others as part of an edit, it not only proves the point Sam as a character herself tends to get lost in 'the ship' but also reinforces the idea that what shippers want (or are perceived as wanting) is simply the silly and the trivial.

And it's not just that interview. I've seen it in other interviews and I always find it puts 'the ship' in a relatively poor light.

But that's probably just me.

Comment

I just watched both parts of the interview and if you haven't seen the first part, do so. Amanda just shines as she comments on other women of sci-fi.

And...personally, I liked how she answered the question of her and Jack. Because they'd segued into her talking about all of the Stargate universe (small "u"), I didn't feel that Sam/Jack question was out of place. Especially with a French interviewer - the French seem to really love the romance part of our show and our duo.

Okay...enough GW for me! Or "shipping" as my S calls my time here. I must finish a draft today!
                          Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post

Thanks for sharing this. It's a really nice interview. I like how she describes the Stargate shows. I don't know anything about Sanctuary so I have no comment on that part.

So, Amanda thinks that if Jack had been stuck with SG-1 on the ship in Unending he and Sam would have gotten together. Duh! That's exactly why he wasn't there. And for that I give the PTB a hearty pat on the back for not giving us our confirmation only to yank it away from us at the end.

I'm not impressed by Amanda's complete about-face regarding this relationship. What she said there cannot rinse away the bad taste left from earlier seasons when most of the time she denounced any notion of it.

/joins JenniferJF in the land of Bad Shippers

Comment

It's really strange, to me, that it seems people think Amanda Tapping denounced the ship. Whilst I realise they had to do the "deny" thing at some point, it happens in television. In recent years, I've seen nothing but relatively positive comments about the ship from Amanda Tapping.

But regardless of what people have said in the past, I don't think it changes anything about the ship itself. This is a television couple who only exist on the television show itself. Everything else is just fun and interesting. Including interviews that have actors saying things like what they would have liked to have seen, or what they think would happen.

It's just the same as me saying "omg if they'd been on the Destiny, they SOOO would be getting it on."

I know I'm rambling and probably don't make too much sense, it's been a really long day.

In terms of this particular interview? I enjoyed it. I love that they're still brought up in some way. And the simple idea of them being stuck on the destiny amuses me. How would S/J have been treated on SGU? Those kind of questions don't impact the ship/confirmation, etc, but they're interesting to think about and enjoy.

IMHO
                              Last edited by m_wendy_r; 05 April 2010, 11:31 AM.
                              sigpic
                              Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

It's really strange, to me, that it seems people think Amanda Tapping denounced the ship. Whilst I realise they had to do the "deny" thing at some point, it happens in television. In recent years, I've seen nothing but relatively positive comments about the ship from Amanda Tapping.
                                And her commentaries on the DVDs are very ship-worthy. She squees with the best of them, even acknowledging "shippy" moments. I don't believe that she's anti-ship. Not at all.
                                sigpic
                                My Stories AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X