Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Treknik View Post
    Pol, is this how directors create a relationship or connection between two characters?
    The other two blockings I adore in Continuum are these:

In the initial establishing shot, Sam and Jack are standing in a grouping slightly apart from the others, and they continue to be in frame together and apart from the others throughout most of the scene.

Sam and Jack are framed as confronting Ba'al together, which I think speaks to the underlying tension Jack is feeling in the situation and Sam's unspoken understanding and support.

EDIT: There's actually an excellent interview with Martin Wood in which he discusses how blocking and even relationship to items such as tables can be used to establish relationship and tone. I don't have the link, but hopefully one of the Woohoods who lurk about can share it? There's a brilliant scene at the beginning of Sanctuary: Revelations in which the entire relationship between the characters is based on where they stand in relation to a table. It's just *brilliant*. And so, obviously, is MW /fangurl

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever seen such a look of anguish on Sam's face as when Cam says his line "Look, I know what happened back there but I need you in the here and now." That was such a clue for those who were hoping to see something. And easy for those who prefer to stick their head in the sand and ignore.

As for framing. It can tell a beautiful story without a lick of dialogue. It's absolutely important and I think very deliberate in those scenes Pol illustrated.
    Speaking of which:

Just amazing! And that entire scene was shot using flashlights for lighting. On a tilting set. Cause.. yeah. Life's too short not to take chances.

EDIT: The question isn't, "Why does Jennifer have an entire Photobucket album dedicated to Martin Wood shots?" but "Why don't you?"

EDIT2: And sorry about the spam, but I can't get MQ to work right yet.
    Last edited by JenniferJF; 10 March 2010, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Beacause I don't think I have shared this on here for a long time. Last year Pol challenged me to make a video using the song I Dreamed A Dream (recently made more famous by Susan Boyle's rendition on Brtian's Got Talent but actually, from the musical Les Miserables which, if you haven't had a chance to go see, I would heartily recommend - take a hankie or three. )
      Given the narrative lyric of the song, I could onnly think of fitting it to Sam's thoughts in her "year of hell" in Continuum.

Comes with a hankie warning because it's sad.

Sweet--very nice. I liked this.

One of the things I adore about Continuum is just how beautiful it looks all over. And how beautifully shot it is. Face it, as a basic storyline it's a fairly routine AU/timeline story that, frankly, has been done to death in Sci Fi more times than I can recall. It's the way it's characterised, filmed, acted, lit, scored and directed that makes it stand out and a truely great movie.
      This story gets to me way more than POint of View, though, because there it wasn't "her" Jack, and in Continuum, it IS "her" Jack. That's why this one gets me where Point of View really didn't.
      sigpic
      My Stories: FFdotNet
      My Stories AO3
      Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
        *sob* Continuum!

Cags I love that vid! *sobs some more*

I made a wp of that a while ago...

*shameless self promotion*

Oh and Continuum rocks btw! That opening scene *happy sigh*
        Beautiful, wp!

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
        Nope. She said they'd seen the Goa'uld fake it before; not the Tok'ra. Perhaps she was referring to the whole Tanith debacle or Osiris (as he pretends to be Sarah for a while).

If anything as she's talking about the Goa'uld faking it and not the Tok'ra, it makes it more likely that Jolinar actually didn't fake it.

*lights match, throws on fuel, steps back*

*snip*
        *Steps back from the flames* It was Jolinar, using Sam's voice.

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
        Am I the only one here who finds the sight of Jack (or anyone) shooting a gun does nothing for her? Though, tbh, I have the same reaction to guys in uniform. Now, seeing a guy in civies you normally see in uniform, especially if he's also in civie smells (aftershave/etc) can make ya swoon...

*sigh*

It may be a question of "The grass is always greener..." Though the best pic I have of hubs (cause he despises having his picture taken) he's both in uniform and holding a Very Big gun, which I always tease him about
        You must be, because Jack with a gun is hot.

My absolute *favorite* Sam/Jack looks are the ones they exchange at the end of Threads in the conference room. They're just so... distracted... by each other. Every time one of them happens to glance at the other they just sort of end up staring with a silly grin on their face.

One of these days I'm gonna make a gif of that scene. "This man" (arrow) "is thinking about seeing this woman" (arrow) "naked.... And the rest of the galaxy can go rot."

That is my absolute favorite look too! When I first joined GW, I used Egle01's MOP sig that had that look on it. The love that poured out was so thick, anyone could see it.
        sigpic
        I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

Originally posted by Treknik View Post
          That is my absolute favorite look too! When I first joined GW, I used Egle01's MOP sig that had that look on it. The love that poured out was so thick, anyone could see it.
          Because I'm feeling like a tease this morning....

I woke up to find a fic for me to beta in my inbox. Sent it back to author but she should get to it by the end of today. It's (ironically) a Threads tag and (amazingly if you can guess who wrote it) it's mostly fluff and gutter.

*claps hands excitedly *

It's awesome, you guys are gonna love it And that's even without the next edit.

Comment

I know I'm late to the OT laptops party, but still -

Spoiler:
            can't imagine using a laptop in a class!
            It's not forbidden per se here, but nobody does it here. I saw maybe 5 guys actually using their laptops during all my years in the university!
            my geeky 2 cents
            "Are you like, a crazy person?"
            "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

OT lappies:
              Spoiler:
              Originally posted by es! View Post
              can't imagine using a laptop in a class!
              It's not forbidden per se here, but nobody does it here. I saw maybe 5 guys actually using their laptops during all my years in the university!
              my geeky 2 cents
              When I was at school no one used laptops.

When I was at school, no one had laptops.

Heck, no one had computers. I did, but that was an old hand-me-down of my dad's who as a programmer always had to have the latest and greatest so he had a still-decent one I could use. But then again, you actually had to go to the library to research (using the card catalog) and people who did have electronic mail had numeric CompuServ ones.

Though some of my fondest memories are borrowing friend's cars to drive to Loyola Med School and spending hours lost in their archive stacks researching for lab reports. Somehow, I don't think sitting in front of a keyboard would be quite such a visceral experience. I'm certain heated electronics don't smell half as good as 100 year-old copies of the Lancet.

Comment

*darn multiquote thing again*

The other two blockings I adore in Continuum are these:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o156/JenniferJF/th_smug.jpg
                In the initial establishing shot, Sam and Jack are standing in a grouping slightly apart from the others, and they continue to be in frame together and apart from the others throughout most of the scene.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o156/JenniferJF/th_sjbc1.jpg
                Sam and Jack are framed as confronting Ba'al together, which I think speaks to the underlying tension Jack is feeling in the situation and Sam's unspoken understanding and support.

EDIT: There's actually an excellent interview with Martin Wood in which he discusses how blocking and even relationship to items such as tables can be used to establish relationship and tone. I don't have the link, but hopefully one of the Woohoods who lurk about can share it? There's a brilliant scene at the beginning of Sanctuary: Revelations in which the entire relationship between the characters is based on where they stand in relation to a table. It's just *brilliant*. And so, obviously, is MW /fangurl

Speaking of which:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...6Continuum.jpg
                Just amazing! And that entire scene was shot using flashlights for lighting. On a tilting set. Cause.. yeah. Life's too short not to take chances.

EDIT: The question isn't, "Why does Jennifer have an entire Photobucket album dedicated to Martin Wood shots?" but "Why don't you?"

EDIT2: And sorry about the spam, but I can't get MQ to work right yet.
                I can feel the emotion more now that you pointed out that particular scene with the pic of Sam and Jack framing Ba'al. The two of them together, in a relationship, confronting Ba'al as one. Jack doesn't have to do it alone, because he has Sam to support him.

Yes, MW is a great director and was really in tune with the Sam and Jack relationship. I hope somone can post that link.

The scene with the flashlights in Continuum, is the absence of light representing the absence of Jack for Sam? AT's acting was absolutely remarkable in that scene. When you can feel the character's pain, you know the actor is doing something right.
                sigpic

Comment

Because I'm feeling like a tease this morning....

I woke up to find a fic for me to beta in my inbox. Sent it back to author but she should get to it by the end of today. It's (ironically) a Threads tag and (amazingly if you can guess who wrote it) it's mostly fluff and gutter.

*claps hands excitedly *

It's awesome, you guys are gonna love it And that's even without the next edit.
                  I definitely am looking forward to that fic. Please post the link when it's done.
                  sigpic

Comment

I was thinking the exact same thing!
                    It was Jolinar and not Sam - but Jolinar looking into Sam's mind to attempt to influence Jack.
                    Would Jack's response have been different had Teal'c not warned him that the Goa'uld are manipulative?
                    Teal'c warning is another reason I thought it was Jolinar.
                    sigpic
                    Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                    My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
                      I was thinking the exact same thing!
                      It was Jolinar and not Sam - but Jolinar looking into Sam's mind to attempt to influence Jack.
                      Would Jack's response have been different had Teal'c not warned him that the Goa'uld are manipulative?
                      Teal'c warning is another reason I thought it was Jolinar.
                      Good points. I never thought about the warning from Teal'c and how that could have affected Jack's reaction to Sam. The pain he must have felt knowing that Jolinar was manipulating Sam and there wasn't anything he could do about it. The memory of what Kawalski had to deal with when being taken over by the Goa'uld and the resulting outcome must have been overpowering for Jack at that moment.
                      sigpic

Comment

My absolute *favorite* Sam/Jack looks are the ones they exchange at the end of Threads in the conference room. They're just so... distracted... by each other. Every time one of them happens to glance at the other they just sort of end up staring with a silly grin on their face.

One of these days I'm gonna make a gif of that scene. "This man" (arrow) "is thinking about seeing this woman" (arrow) "naked.... And the rest of the galaxy can go rot."

Huh. I've never noticed. There are looks between them other than the brush of hands at the table?

Make that gif! LOL!
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...6Continuum.jpg

Yet another shot framing one person to the far side of the screen and leaving a lot of empty space. In this case, where Jack would be . . .
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

going off-topic to this cause i keep seeing these threads pics of sam and jack watching over jacob and i gotta ask this do u think jacob consider jack more of a son in law than pete?

Comment

Okay, more Continuum stuff because this was really significant for me. This is the excerpt from the transcript, 5 lines, pretty straightforward:

MITCHELL
                              Carter, what's going on?

[Carter takes a deep breath but doesn't move.]

MITCHELL
                              Sam?

CARTER
                              I don't know.

[Mitchell walks over to her.]

MITCHELL
                              Look, I know what happened back there, but we need you in the here and now. Wherever or whenever that is.

[Carter nods.]

CARTER
                              Right. Right.

[She pulls a device from her vest and turns it on.]

But what we see on camera is nearly 30 seconds (that's HALF A MINUTE - an eternity in film-time) of Sam's shock from when Mitchell says, "Carter, what's goin' on?".

For-e-ver in film-time. In a 90-minute movie that has so much packed into it, Sam has 12 of those seconds spent in utter silence, the camera on her.

So...
                              MITCHELL
                              Carter, what's going on?

Single, nearly full-shot of Sam. Isolated. Alone. All other shots of the guys thus far have been medium (waist-high) or closer. Actually, almost every shot is like those (medium) save for the walk-and-talks across the ice - meant to establish the isolation. This shot does too. And note that she's clearly not at all focused on what's going on around her.

[Carter takes a deep breath but doesn't move.]

MITCHELL
                              Sam?

CARTER
                              I...

I...don't...

know.

This was a good 12 seconds of just Sam's shock.

[Mitchell walks over to her.]

MITCHELL
                              Look, I know what happened back there, but we need you in the here and now. Wherever or whenever that is.

Rarely do you have focus pulled on the person NOT talking, but that's the case here. The focus is on Sam. Her shock and grief.

Reverse angle now...
                              [Carter nods.]

And look at the framing of the light behind her head. Wow.
                              CARTER
                              Right. Right.

[She pulls a device from her vest and turns it on.]

Thirty seconds of just Sam's reaction (with flash-cuts to Daniel and Cam, but it's really Sam's moment.

I'm tellin' you, this was Brad's homage to Sam/Jack. Samantha (Captain-Major-Lt.Col-Col-Doctor) Carter never answers I don't know.

One of the first things you learn in service is that "I don't know" is an unacceptable answer. You never "don't know," you offer options, theories, or say that you'll find out. But you never say, "I don't know."

And Sam Carter never doesn't know.

Until now.

This was a brilliant, brilliant piece of Amanda Tapping acting. Just brilliant. One last note on AT acting. When the gate closes off leaving them in darkness, she actually gasps out loud. That was surprising, but really great. You can hear it's her.

Wow.

/rhapsodizing

Edit: LtColS, your post wasn't OT, it was about Sam/Jack and father-in-law stuff. That's oh-so-shippy!
                              Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

going off-topic to this cause i keep seeing these threads pics of sam and jack watching over jacob and i gotta ask this do u think jacob consider jack more of a son in law than pete?
                                And I'd even go one step further and say that Jacob considers Jack more as a friend than as a son in law. They certainly do have the banter and communication down.

Although, Jack is almost 16 years older than Sam, and Jack does say to SAm at one point, "You know how I feel about your dad--love him like a brother." So, perhaps the feeling of relation goes even further. I don't think that Jacob felt much of anything for Pete but a sense of "wrongness" somehow. Especially after the "You really got one of those things in your head?" comment.

And POL--great analysis. I think I'll have to watch that movie again--shippy glasses firmly in place.
                                sigpic
                                My Stories: FFdotNet
                                My Stories AO3
                                Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Working...
                                X