Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
    And I can see this also from a perspective of the kind of relationship she seemed to have with Jacob before Selmak--her "Welcome to my life" comment really gave that away. . .I'm not sure she knew how to be with a man who wasn't a chihuahua disguised as a German Shepherd. Jack's an Akita--or some other kind of Alpha male that doesn't need to disguise anything. . .
    Oh, yeah. Because I think one of the key problems Sam had with relationships in general, and even more specifically with Jack, was that she was trying to live up to her father's expectations. If you recall in The Forsaken, she also, when asked what "Sam" meant, answers "It meant my father wanted a boy."

Uhm.

Ouch?

I don't think it was *true*, but I think all along she'd been trying to be the person she thought her father wanted her to be, and she thought that - to dad - Sam the Person (and woman) wasn't important. And I think this tended to make her easy pickings to anyone who sort of flattered that part of her. It wasn't really until Threads when she finally completely understood she'd been wrong. He just hadn't really understood her enough before, and they'd not been close enough, that he knew her well enough to understand who she was and what she wanted or could communicate to her the truth. And yeah, I think that was Selmak teaching him a bit of patience and understanding and perspective which helped him to finally understand Sam and communicate with Sam (just as we saw Selmak do more overtly with Mark).

Comment

Originally posted by UhSir View Post
      I don't get upset about Pete being a stalker because it defines who he is. I get upset that Sam ignored it and that Pete was briefed on everything SGC by the end of the episode. THAT is bending Sam's character 180 degrees. Sam doesn't work that way, even considering her epiphany in Grace. I can believe she would jump into a relationship but I can't believe that she suddenly sacrifices the security of the Stargate program for her personal interests.
      for me, bad as a shipper *and* sam fan.

omg... i've once again been pulled into the 'AAAAAHHHH, PETE!!!' regurgitation.

I liken "Chimera" to something my daughter told me about the difference between eyebrow waxing and plucking. She'd rather have one big OW! than a bunch of little ow-ow-ow's.
      i'd rather one dose of him, then sprinklings of him through the season too.
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
        I was a 'regular viewer' when I saw Chimera and, honestly, I didn't even *think* of calling Pete a stalker or thinking he'd done something wrong when I first saw it. I think there's a *huge* leap from what he did to actually stalking. I think getting all upset about him as a stalker is mostly a fan thing. Not that there aren't regular viewers who've felt that way, but I've only ever really heard Sam/Jack shippers (and maybe a few Sam fans) actually complain about it. And having said that, I'll probably be kicked off the
        thread
        There were plenty of non-shippers complaining about the Pete character in such threads as the Against Pete and If Pete's so hated for stalking....

What makes you think it was only shippers and Sam fans that disliked the character? There were many more threads here on Gateworld (which I can't find the links for) where the character was discussed, but it wasn't just shippers that posted in them.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
          I think if the idea of a romantic interest for Sam had been better conceived (i.e. not Pete, but someone who is maybe IDK, more along the lines of who Sam'd be interested in) then I wouldn't have any issues whatsoever with the Sam/Jack/Pete storyline of Chimera.
          i'd still have issues, just not as *much* as the way pete, sam, and sam/pete was written!

how about leaving out him doing the background check and following her around and ignoring her calls and letting her feel guilty because he walked out on her and showing up at the stakeout... yeah, he wouldn't have been quite so upsetting.
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
            There were plenty of non-shippers complaining about the Pete character in such threads as the Against Pete and If Pete's so hated for stalking....

What makes you think it was only shippers and Sam fans that disliked the character? There were many more threads here on Gateworld (which I can't find the links for) where the character was discussed, but it wasn't just shippers that posted in them.
            Well, not being involved in fandom at the time, I've always gotten the impression it was mostly shippers and a few Sam fans because those are the only people I've heard complain about it. And looking through those threads (which were both pretty small threads, really) it seems like there were a few people adamantly opposed to Pete because of what he did (and most of those didn't really call him a 'stalker) and most of those were 'shippers' - or at least people who made pro Sam/Jack comments - or Sam fans - or at least had Sam in their names/sigs/etc. - with only a few exceptions.

So - while I can't say with certainty there might not have been a huge outcry among the majority of the Stargate viewers at some point I'm not aware of over Pete and the idea he was a 'stalker' - I still think it was (generally) a very small section of the viewership who got really upset over his actions, and the majority of those were shippers and Sam fans. And, honestly, I suspect from the point of view of TPTB they *knew* shippers (and quite a few Sam fans) were likely to get upset over Chimera even if Pete had been the next incarnation of ... anyone really almost perfect who I won't name to avoid being blasphemous to someone... and so maybe weren't able to clearly see the point of the complaints wasn't simply Pete but the character of Pete.

EDIT: I did do a search for threads with the words Pete and Stalker in them, and the only additional one I found directly on this subject was Can anyone explain the "stalker" thing to me? which was fans wondering why some people were getting upset and calling Pete a stalker, so at least I know I'm not alone in not seeing him that way
            Last edited by JenniferJF; 03 March 2010, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
              I've always tied into Sam's character as she doesn't really have the best track record with men. Granted the only *real* relationship past Pete was Jonas and her comment about the lunatic fringe. I think she has some seriously deep seeded issues about what love looks like. Jonas strikes me as incredibly controlling and while Pete was DEFINITELY not like Jonas in a lot of ways (one of the reasons I think she tried so hard to be happy with him too) - the fact that she found his "checking up on her" flattering speaks to this IMO
              we don't know that she does. that was just jenn's idea.

the second half of 'chimera', i thought pete acted like a selfish punk. the fact that sam didn't have a prob with it... sticks in my craw like you can't believe. it's the only time i've ever not understood sam. the *only* time.
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Goodness gracious! I walk in and all I see is Pete Pete Pete all over the thread!

Where's Bekki? She'd certainly appreciate this!
                sigpic
                The Return of King Arthur
                Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post

the second half of 'chimera', i thought pete acted like a selfish punk. the fact that sam didn't have a prob with it... sticks in my craw like you can't believe. it's the only time i've ever not understood sam. the *only* time.
                  I actually got the impression Sam *expected* Pete to walk out on her and was constantly surprised he was still around and still interested in her. I really think it was a measure of her lack of confidence and security in herself as a female-type person that made her accept his treatment of her. Because, frankly, I think the entire Sam-character-arc from the end of Grace until she makes it to Jack's backyard in Threads was mostly about Sam's failure to have faith and confidence in her right to have the love and the life *she* wanted and deserved. Her acceptance of Pete's treatment, IMHO of course, was simply one more example of that.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post

so that means you understand her technobabble then?

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                      They only mentioned it briefly as a sort of joke in Affinity, and I think even that was a nod to fans cause I don't think most viewers thought of Pete as having stalked Sam at all. That's mostly a fandom thing, I believe.
                      Well I don't know if it is but when I first watched this episode I was a casual viewer (I watched when nothing else was on) and the Pete thing did bother me. I wouldn't know if it was mostly a fan thing though

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
                      I think if the idea of a romantic interest for Sam had been better conceived (i.e. not Pete, but someone who is maybe IDK, more along the lines of who Sam'd be interested in) then I wouldn't have any issues whatsoever with the Sam/Jack/Pete storyline of Chimera.

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                      Goodness gracious! I walk in and all I see is Pete Pete Pete all over the thread!

yes, I thought the same thing when I came in!
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Well my ISP disconnected immediately after my last post. Coincidence or...
                        Hallowed are the Gateworld Mods!

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post

OMG! Pete exploded!!!

Who would do that?

Comment

OMG! Pete exploded!!!

Who would do that?
                            "Jack. . .? Where've you been, Jack? And what are you doing with that C4?"

"Nothin', Daniel."
                            sigpic
                            My Stories: FFdotNet
                            My Stories AO3
                            Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                              "Jack. . .? Where've you been, Jack? And what are you doing with that C4?"

"Nothin', Daniel."
                              ROFL...I would have thought that was Sam...and she glared and then gave hima BHK
                              sigpic

Comment

*jumps into thread*

I've watched SG-1 from the beginning and settled into the ship about season 3. I, too, didn't see anything wrong with Sam deciding to go out with Pete. Actually, I was hoping the Pete thing would get Jack off his butt and do something about being with Sam. It just took longer than I would have liked!
                                sigpic
                                Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Working...
                                X