Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was 'baby'. Not 'babe'.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I tend to agree that they'd make the transfer to Jack & Sam with little effort.

That said, and despite the story I shared last night, I'm reminded that I continue to call my sister by the nickname she had growing up (a shortened form of her given name) rather than calling her by her full name now as she prefers. (But honestly, it's not that I forget, really, just that I'm both lazy and her given name is quite long.)
      Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
        My personal pet peeve is when Sam continues to call Jack "Sir". It plays into one of the "reasons" why there are anti's out there pointing out that they have an unequal relationship. No. They're equals. Don't play into that.
        Okay... I never saw it like that, I guess. To me Sam was never unequal on the show - ever. Yes, she was Jack's subordinate and required to follow his orders, but let's face it, she was never afraid to stand up to him and make it very clear if she didn't agree with him.

In one of the first episodes she even tells him outright "No". (In the episode with Hanson, when he orders her to go back to the SGC.) Yes, she was aware of their command structure, but I keep joking about it saying that for Sam any kind of insubordination was always okay, as long as she put "Sir" somewhere in there or ended/started the sentence with "with all due respect".

I really don't equal command structure with them being somehow unequal.

Originally posted by Amara D'Angeli View Post
        That said, and despite the story I shared last night, I'm reminded that I continue to call my sister by the nickname she had growing up (a shortened form of her given name) rather than calling her by her full name now as she prefers. (But honestly, it's not that I forget, really, just that I'm both lazy and her given name is quite long.)
        I know, I had a similar experience at a workplace. In Germany we have two different versions for the address "you". One is personal, and the other one is very formal. So after 5 years of working together, the one manager, who was my superior (and younger than me) offered me to use the personal address instead since we were even on the basis of a friendship already.

We both constantly kept messing up. It took almost half a year for me to quit calling her "Miss XYZ" and stop using the formal 'you' version. Not because I thought we were unequal, or constantly thought of her as my superior, but simply because that's how I'd gotten to know her, and to me those names or addresses are really just superficial means of communication.

Maybe I'm just weird...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimberley Jackson View Post
          Okay... I never saw it like that, I guess. To me Sam was never unequal on the show - ever. Yes, she was Jack's subordinate and required to follow his orders, but let's face it, she was never afraid to stand up to him and make it very clear if she didn't agree with him.

In one of the first episodes she even tells him outright "No". (In the episode with Hanson, when he orders her to go back to the SGC.) Yes, she was aware of their command structure, but I keep joking about it saying that for Sam any kind of insubordination was always okay, as long as she put "Sir" somewhere in there or ended/started the sentence with "with all due respect".

I know, I had a similar experience at a workplace. In Germany we have two different versions for the address "you". One is personal, and the other one is very formal. So after 5 years of working together, the one manager, who was my superior (and younger than me) offered me to use the personal address instead since we were even on the basis of a friendship already.

We both constantly kept messing up. It took almost half a year for me to quit calling her "Miss XYZ" and stop using the formal 'you' version. Not because I thought we were unequal, or constantly thought of her as my superior, but simply because that's how I'd gotten to know her, and to me those names or addresses are really just superficial means of communication.

Maybe I'm just weird...
          Sorta OT, but not...

I grew up speaking both English and German and it took me the first year of pre-school to work out how I was supposed address my teachers as we don't have formal pronouns in English. Apparently this distressed four-year-old-me greatly and I ended up speaking a mix of English and German in an effort to show my respect. (The things they don't tell you about raising a bilingual child... )

Comment

Sorta OT, but not...

I grew up speaking both English and German and it took me the first year of pre-school to work out how I was supposed address my teachers as we don't have formal pronouns in English. Apparently this distressed four-year-old-me greatly and I ended up speaking a mix of English and German in an effort to show my respect. (The things they don't tell you about raising a bilingual child... )
            Oh, that's neat, I didn't know that! You can speak German?

Well, I think your problem is not so unusual for German children. It took me forever to address my teachers with the formal pronoun. I kept saying "Mrs/Mr XYZ" and then used the informal "du".
            Plus there's a trend over here that the formal pronoun is disappearing more and more from the younger generations. When I was working at a restaurant it took me a bit of time in the beginning to get over the fact that a lot of customers would address me with the informal "du" while I had to address them formally. I still learned that it's really disrespectful to address a stranger informally. But they really didn't mean it like that (well, most of them didn't. ), but simply followed the new trend of addressing everybody informally.

However, back to topic, as I said, if anything it's a sign of respect for Sam and Jack. Jack treats her with too much respect for him to think that she's inferior somehow. And Sam talks back too much for her to consider him superior on a human level.
            Last edited by Kimberley Jackson; 13 February 2014, 07:58 AM. Reason: Typo :P
            sigpic

Comment

Not as well as I used to, I'm afraid. I do better reading and writing it these days, though those skills are waning, too.

Well, I think your problem is not so unusual for German children. It took me forever to address my teachers with the formal pronoun. I kept saying "Mrs/Mr XYZ" and then used the informal "du".
              Plus there's a trend over here that the informal pronoun is disappearing more and more from the younger generations. When I was working at a restaurant it took me a bit of time in the beginning to get over the fact that a lot of customers would address me with the informal "du" while I had to address them formally. I still learned that it's really disrespectful to address a stranger informally. But they really didn't mean it like that (well, most of them didn't. ), but simply followed the new trend of addressing everybody informally.

However, back to topic, as I said, if anything it's a sign of respect for Sam and Jack. Jack treats her with too much respect for him to think that she's inferior somehow. And Sam talks back too much for her to consider him superior on a human level.
              The informal is leaving? Honestly, I'd have thought it would be the other way around. Just goes to show, there's no pegging young people!

Comment

The informal is leaving? Honestly, I'd have thought it would be the other way around. Just goes to show, there's no pegging young people!
                Whoops... formal I meant. The formal is leaving. Typo - or knot in the brain... going with typo here though.
                sigpic

Comment

There's a formal and informal you in Spanish as well.
                  sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                  https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Plus there's a trend over here that the formal pronoun is disappearing more and more from the younger generations. When I was working at a restaurant it took me a bit of time in the beginning to get over the fact that a lot of customers would address me with the informal "du" while I had to address them formally. I still learned that it's really disrespectful to address a stranger informally. But they really didn't mean it like that (well, most of them didn't. ), but simply followed the new trend of addressing everybody informally.

Really? I had absolutely no issues with this. I believe my mother simply told us that anyone who is old enough to be your parent should be called the formal pronoun, unless stated otherwise. I actually had/have friends who address(ed) their own parents with the formal pronoun because of how they've been raised. Nowadays, I cringe when people address me with the formal pronoun though! It makes me feel old (which I am not) and it just sounds a bit silly to me, as if they're trying to be super polite. My stepbrothers were like that too, they would describe people as "that mister" instead of "that man" and it always sounded odd to me.

To stay ontopic:

(manip by mala)
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I don't think they would use endearments. After 8 years of Sir/Carter, I think using their first names would be more special to them than babe or honey. They may even get an illicit thrill out of it at first.

Also, if I remember correctly, called Sam babe, which was so skin-crawl-y.

I can see Jack calling her Carter on occasion, perhaps if he's annoyed with her about something, but I don't think Sam would revert back to Sir. She'd just tell him to chill out and stop being an a$$

And I'm saying this is in their personal lives. Of course they would still use Sir/Carter when on duty.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                        Really? I had absolutely no issues with this. I believe my mother simply told us that anyone who is old enough to be your parent should be called the formal pronoun, unless stated otherwise. I actually had/have friends who address(ed) their own parents with the formal pronoun because of how they've been raised. Nowadays, I cringe when people address me with the formal pronoun though! It makes me feel old (which I am not) and it just sounds a bit silly to me, as if they're trying to be super polite. My stepbrothers were like that too, they would describe people as "that mister" instead of "that man" and it always sounded odd to me.

To stay ontopic:

(manip by mala)
                        No, I agree, not everybody had that problem. But I remember when I was going to pre-school here it Berlin (it was obligatory to visit 1-2 years of preschool for every child here - so when you were about 5 or 6 years old, you entered pre-school), my pre-school teacher constantly had to remind many of us to not say "du" (informal address) and "Mrs". Some kids got it right, others didn't.
                        She was always really nice, and I considered her to be one of my friends so I could not understand why I was not allowed to address her informally - child's logic.

Back to topic though: Why does it say manip under that picture. I thought it was a promo shoot. If that's a manip it is really well done!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
                          Also, if I remember correctly, called Sam babe, which was so skin-crawl-y.
                          Seriously?!?!

When did he say that? I'm gonna have to pay more attention. I remember him saying "You go, girl" once to her, but babe? Really?
                          sigpic

Comment

Maybe I'm just weird...
                            I don't see them as not equal myself. I'm just pointing out that as an argument a lot of "anti's" use and how the whole "Sir/Carter" thing on a personal level plays into that and it bothers be.
                            sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Seriously?!?!

When did he say that? I'm gonna have to pay more attention. I remember him saying "You go, girl" once to her, but babe? Really?
                              = Pete. "You go girl" was said by Jack, right? Did say that to her too? I tend to not re-watch episodes so I don't remember.

Comment

Seriously?!?!

Pete (or ) is the one who called her "babe". Jack never did. Jack did say "You go, girl", though, which I thought was cute.

Comment

Working...
                                X