Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pol View Post
    Made a new sig 'cause I'm trying to get the mojo back on track. I cannot in any way take credit for the fabulous art, that comes from an artist named Hito. The whole image looks like this:

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l...ampfirepic.jpg

Edit:

Whew. I was worried I'd fallen off the fluffy cloud. <grin>
    I've always loved that pic. They're all staring at the wonder of the universe above them, except for Jack. He's staring at Sam...the most wondrous thing in his universe.

Lovely, subtly romantic piece of art. I've always adored it.

Well...I brought work home, so I suppose I should go work on it. I doubt I'll be back tonight, so here's wishing everyone a lovely start of the new week.

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
      Made a new sig 'cause I'm trying to get the mojo back on track. I cannot in any way take credit for the fabulous art, that comes from an artist named Hito. The whole image looks like this:

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l...ampfirepic.jpg
      I have that as my background on my desktop. I love Hito's work.

Argh! I'm battling with a DVD that wants to skip. The Tokra Pt. 2 is skip skip skipping all over the place!

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
        It's funny, too, cause *I'm* the one with the gutter one...
        Well, yeah... <sigh>

But my Valenship *Wallpaper* is drenched in Gutter. You know, the one that's not the invite. Cause I don't know that *all* Shippers would want something so... blatant.

Yeah. Well, wou all ought to to know me by now...

Sneak preview:

Spoiler:

Love and hot fudge,
        Bren Ren
        ~
        My stories!
        ~

sigpic

Comment

Nice, Bren Ren! I like the gutter. I've met lots of nice people there.
          sigpic
          My Stories: FFdotNet
          My Stories AO3
          Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by BrenRen View Post
            Yes, yes, yes, I saw all of those.

I meant spaceship in particular. Has there been a more... blatant... spaceship?

If there has and I'm just blanking, I am Officially blaming it on insufficient caffeine after one too many late nights this week.

EDIT: And with all *that* on the top of your brain, I'm even more amazed that you didn't see the Gutter in *that* sig...
            I guess the Ancients had quite a few.....fixations.....

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
            Amen and amen. It has nothing to do with the quality of the artwork - we just can't handle the sun.
            Cavern of Angst....birthplace of the Dementors.....

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
            Technical
            Spoiler:

Good for you!

I didn't get a choice. My own theory as to why Vista is so utterly (to be polite) rubbish is because they wanted to make sure everyone runs out to upgrade to Wndows 7 and nobody even starts to question its brilliance. because, face it, Vista is that bad it makes me long for Dos 6.2.

Try downloading that media player anyway, or updating your current codecs etc. I can't think of any other reason why you might be having a problem.
            technical OT:

Spoiler:
            I'm not too fond of Vista either....which is why I never upgraded my laptop....

but the computer I'm on right now is my parents' desktop which does have Vista....one of my college buddies had a laptop that had Windows ME on it....that was a load of crap too.....it had absolutely NO DOS mode support....couldn't even create a bootable system disk if you needed to....

his laptop would also freeze at odd intervals.....

if you don't mind paying I think there are some pieces of software that will do a direct FLV to EXE conversion....but since I'm a cheapskate.........I use 2 freeware programs....one that converts the FLV to SWF.....and the other converts the SWF into a self-playing EXE file....and that's how I get around any codec issues....

Comment

Originally posted by Treknik View Post
              So by dating Pete, it showed Sam what she didn't want, and pushed her harder towards Jack. Way to go Pete!
              Absolutely. Way to go, Pete. That's the spirit

...don't throw rotten tomatoes at me. I'm too young to die that way

I *liked* Pete, he had charm about him, and he helped Sam at a time when she needed it the most. He probably doesn't feel so great about it, but hey ho, that's life. The only reason I dislike Chimera is the Daniel/Osiris storyline, it should have been better than it was, it was missing something, and it was disjointed against the Sam storyline. I love Affinity. And without these you would not get Threads.

I just watched that episode today, actually. And, yeah, I still squee at the "previously on Stargate SG-1" part and they show you S/J clips from Divide and Conquer, because now you just *know* what this episode is about!
              sigpic
              Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

I *liked* Pete, he had charm about him, and he helped Sam at a time when she needed it the most. He probably doesn't feel so great about it, but hey ho, that's life. The only reason I dislike Chimera is the Daniel/Osiris storyline, it should have been better than it was, it was missing something, and it was disjointed against the Sam storyline. I love Affinity. And without these you would not get Threads.

I just watched that episode today, actually. And, yeah, I still squee at the "previously on Stargate SG-1" part and they show you S/J clips from Divide and Conquer, because now you just *know* what this episode is about!
                I agree mostly with this. I thought he was funny, and charming for a normal guy--but Sam's not normal. I think he's good for her in that he shows her that "normal" is not what will fulfill her.

Now, having said "fulfill", I will kindly inform all of you (in my best mom tone) to get your minds out of the gutter. You know what I really meant by that.

Although, you all notice that I went there first. Sigh.
                sigpic
                My Stories AO3

Comment

*iz excited by all the Pete love in the thread*

Just watch yourselves...we all know whose boyfriend he is...now...
                  sigpic

Comment

Not that we would *ever* try to take him away from you, Bekki!
                    sigpic
                    The Return of King Arthur
                    Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                    acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                      I agree mostly with this. I thought he was funny, and charming for a normal guy--but Sam's not normal. I think he's good for her in that he shows her that "normal" is not what will fulfill her.

Now, having said "fulfill", I will kindly inform all of you (in my best mom tone) to get your minds out of the gutter. You know what I really meant by that.

Although, you all notice that I went there first. Sigh.
                      I think my issue was the whole not trusting her thing - which is actually pretty character consistent for Sam as her fiance was Jonas and I suspect that among his many "charming" attributes he wasn't one to trust (control issues and all that jazz). It's on my back burner to actually explore the complexities of her being with Jonas because I think if we'd been given more with him, we'd see similarities between him and Pete. I don't mean in an abusive sense but more in the sense that Sam chose men who didn't "see" her so to speak - I have a sneaking suspicion she gave Jonas much of the same image she gave Pete. The difference is that she finally clued in to what she was doing.

I have to wonder if part of it was a result of losing her mother at such a young age. She lacked guidance into womanhood and it seems to me that her mother was probably primarily at home (it's difficult for officer's wives to maintain careers, they certainly do, but I've find something intriguing about the idea that Sam isn't much of a cook and yet she was baking cookies the day her mother died). Perhaps in a way she was unconsciously trying to keep her mother alive instead of embracing who she is. I don't know if anyone else has ever done this but I have often found myself reciting what I think people around me want to hear when they ask me what I want to do or where I want to go instead of giving the very honest answer of "I don't know". I feel like I have to define myself. I wonder if Sam felt that with Pete. He starts talking about a house and 2.5 kids and a dog and Sam makes up answers because she's supposed to be decisive and confident - not unsure and hesitant.

While I'm not a rom-com fan - Runaway Bride did pose an interesting idea - a woman who runs away from the altar because she realizes at the last minute that it's not what she wants, but she keeps conforming herself to the guy she's with instead of stopping to really accept that who she is and what she wants is *okay*.

If none of this makes sense, blame it on the Xanax

Comment

Originally posted by Bekki View Post
                        *iz excited by all the Pete love in the thread*

Just watch yourselves...we all know whose boyfriend he is...now...
                        Last I heard he's the dad of some wizards that live on Waverly Place LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
                          I think my issue was the whole not trusting her thing - which is actually pretty character consistent for Sam as her fiance was Jonas and I suspect that among his many "charming" attributes he wasn't one to trust (control issues and all that jazz). It's on my back burner to actually explore the complexities of her being with Jonas because I think if we'd been given more with him, we'd see similarities between him and Pete. I don't mean in an abusive sense but more in the sense that Sam chose men who didn't "see" her so to speak - I have a sneaking suspicion she gave Jonas much of the same image she gave Pete. The difference is that she finally clued in to what she was doing.
                          I think it may have more to do with her relationship with her father... I think she started out even as a young girl after her mother died in becoming the person her father wanted her to be. That's why it's so important in Threads when he 'frees' her from the rules and from being the perfect officer to be the person she wants to be.. the person capable of really being happy and fulfilled. This connects into what Replicarter told her, too, about following the rules rather than doing what she wants.

She was trying to fit herself to the roles she believed she should fill rather than choose the roles which fit who she was.

Comment

I have to wonder if part of it was a result of losing her mother at such a young age. She lacked guidance into womanhood and it seems to me that her mother was probably primarily at home (it's difficult for officer's wives to maintain careers, they certainly do, but I've find something intriguing about the idea that Sam isn't much of a cook and yet she was baking cookies the day her mother died). Perhaps in a way she was unconsciously trying to keep her mother alive instead of embracing who she is.
                            I would actually say that it might have to do more with her father being "difficult" than with her mom dying. I think that her inability to choose men with whom she can be herself would be indicative of the fact that her father expected so much out of her, and she was constantly trying to please him. It wasn't until he was "Tok'ra-ified" that he starts to be a real father--she admits that in Threads. Her mother's death pushed the two of them closer together, but I think it's searching for a father figure that causes her to embrace relationships with these men who are overbearing and competitive.

Now, we might all say that Jack is also a father figure--he was her SO, after all, and he's a good 15 years older than she is. But he accepts her for who she is--and doesn't ever force her hand in personal matters. And I would think that the trust they've built up over the years goes a long way towards making her stronger in that relationship than she was with either Jonas or Pete.

You beat me there, jenn! Dangit!
                            sigpic
                            My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                              I think it may have more to do with her relationship with her father... I think she started out even as a young girl after her mother died in becoming the person her father wanted her to be. That's why it's so important in Threads when he 'frees' her from the rules and from being the perfect officer to be the person she wants to be.. the person capable of really being happy and fulfilled. This connects into what Replicarter told her, too, about following the rules rather than doing what she wants.

She was trying to fit herself to the roles she believed she should fill rather than choose the roles which fit who she was.
                              I would agree with that. I think it's all multi-layered. No doubt her memory of her mother is sealed with the way her father loved her. Trying to gain his approval through joining the military (like him) and yet being a split personality by letting the men in her life lead her on the path of domestic bliss (like her mother). Trying to embody two people at once is difficult. So I agree I was just thinking of it from a different angle, another layer. I'm also sleepy and wish I had some chocolate.

EDIT: Part of what makes me think of the impact of her mother's death is a dear friend of mine who didn't lose her mother through death but divorce. I watched her become a 'mom' to her younger brother and father and I just remember the little things she didn't know because no one was there to tell her.

Comment

Last I heard he's the dad of some wizards that live on Waverly Place LOL

yep, and I can't watch the show because all I see is him and Sam and a wall.
                                sigpic
                                My Stories AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X