Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pol View Post
    Another ficrec. I know a bunch of us just "discovered" Akamimom, but I thought I'd share anyway. Can't put down her Wizard of Mazd. Great fun, fantastic writing, a little 'fantastical' but still really, really enjoyable. Not a grammatical error to be found (oh, be still my heart).

And, to all awaiting a Campfire and/or Embrace Me, patience.
    Spoiler:
    Apparently winter break sucked out all of my mojo. Add to that a ruptured L5/S1 disc, managed by REALLY STRONG pain meds, and now the beginning of term, and I'm a bit behind on the writing. I'm not giving it up, I promise. First to be posted will be...wait for it, Amanda...an Embrace Me based upon Entity. I just need a few days to settle back in and learn how to effectively manage Percocet and driving/teaching/doctoral program. On the plus side, I've been invited to participate in a writing fellowship over the summer. On the down side, I have to have back surgery to fuse the spine.

I'm done whingeing now...I've got nothing to ***** about when you look at things globally.

Any new news since I've been off the grid?

Back problems OT

Spoiler:

Hugs Pol. My mum had to have this done a couple of years ago snd it made a huge difference - completely erradicated the pain she was in. When you mentioned your disc I did wonder if you might end up down the same route. It's pretty serious operation but you know it will be worth it.
    I'll save the rest for an email (if I can ever get my email account to work again since some b****r hacked it )

Whinging is all good. You need t let offf steam about things and nothing is trivial if it's important to you.

Originally posted by BrenRen View Post
    Two Crack!Fic! stories in one nite! You all are killin' me!

Spoiler:

Deep. deep, deep in the Gutter we go!
    Spoiler:
    Got your scuba gear on?
    Spoiler:
    And we're divin'!

Spoiler:

THUD.

THUD.

THUD.

THUD.

“What in the world…?” Daniel Jackson was a little perplexed and thoroughly distracted from his Ancient translations by the repetitive noises emanating from somewhere down the hall.

THUD.

THUD.

THUD.

THUD.

Daniel dropped the book and left the room to investigate. The sounds seemed to be coming from Sam’s lab, and when he reached the door, he found it locked. Unusual, to say the least.

THUD.

THUD.

THUD.

THUD.

He raised his hand and was about to knock when Teal’c’s deep resonant voice boomed from the other end of the corridor.

“I would not interrupt, if I were you,” he told the intrepid archaeologist.

THUD.

THUD.

THUD.

THUD.

Daniel opened his mouth to reply when a crashing noise reverberated right through the door—followed immediately by a muffled curse, then a disturbingly loud female moan. And more thuds. His mouth snapped shut. His head shook from side to side slowly. He reluctantly met Teal’c’s gaze.

“That is not what I had in mind when I said ‘no consequences’.”
    I swear, if this one don't get me modded, I am never again gonna worry about how deeply into the Gutter I dive.

*chokes*

Umm... Very nice!

Originally posted by Valerie_Jackson View Post
    I think the longest time I've gone without internet is... from about the day after I registered (Sept. 29th) to mid about October (The 15th) And that was pure torture! Though it was kind of before I became a fully integrated part of this ship family.

SJ FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Internet OT

Spoiler:

You know it's funny all this talk of being connected 24/7. I am very much a wired in girl...oh ok, woman then since I too remember black and white computers where you had to load the operating system (basic usually) on with a cassette tape, and a modem worked by literally lifting the receiver off your phone and plugging it into the modem that used tone dialling to connect to the infant WWW. Thanks to my computer obsessed older brother I can even remember the names of some of those eary computers; The MZ80K and the 380Z. They rocked...err... back in the day.
    But digressing... despite being a connected person, when I go on holiday I prefer to go somewhere where there is absolutely no internet, no phone, no nothing. Disconnect from the world, relax and enjoy. That, to me, is the point of holidaying.

Happy Birthday Richard Dean Anderson!
    Thank you for all those wonderfully thunkably great years as Jack.

And just to keep things on topic, here's a video I made ages ago. Horrible aspect ratio I'm afraid but I knew no better at the time. (Incidently, the timing actually works when downloded rather than streamed )

EDIT: Huh, I made a video and didn't use the Grace kisss in it? Probably a first and last!

Last edited by Cagranosalis; 23 January 2010, 02:48 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

HAPPY 60th BIRTHDAY RDA!!!!!!!!!!!

And I hope that you're reading my b-day postcard!
      sigpic
      My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by UhSir View Post
        Thank you! I've been searching for SNY's work for a long time. Especially for this past year since I moved and lost a few discs full of precious Stargate stuff. *cries* Why does the important stuff always get lost?
        I got all her S/J vids on my computer! Love her work I can zip them and send them to you or perhaps upload them somewhere If you want of course...
        and I'm working on that list I iz just a teeny bit slow

Happy Birthday RDA

*huggles Pol for the back problems*

As for no internet. I remember that I was around eight or so when we got internet at home. I also got my first email account on hotmail. I lost it soon after because you had to log in once a month(or three months) and I forgot...had to make a new one that I still have till this day.
        Yes for the floppy discs! Funny enough I was discussing the subject earlier on with my brother...that we still had a version of Windows(95 and the one before that) on floppy disc They were 1.44 MB which was HUGE! *looks at her memory stick of 32 GB now...errr*
        We got "broadband"(or whatever you call it) when I was 14 or 15, my oldest brother paid it for years(mom and dad found it nonsense) ...we sneakily drilled holes in the walls etc. to make an internet connection to both of our rooms...I think it took my father 2 years before he realised I had internet on my room( he didn't even knew that my computer was able of using the internet ) I don't even know where I used it for at first. I think to go on the web and look for stuff about my previous TV addiction...(Charmed)
        Since then I think the longest time without internet is errr...9 days(was on vacation) but while at home....a maximum of a day without it...

I just need to feel the S/J Love
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
          As for no internet. I remember that I was around eight or so when we got internet at home. I also got my first email account on hotmail. I lost it soon after because you had to log in once a month(or three months) and I forgot...had to make a new one that I still have till this day.
          Yes for the floppy discs! Funny enough I was discussing the subject earlier on with my brother...that we still had a version of Windows(95 and the one before that) on floppy disc They were 1.44 MB which was HUGE! *looks at her memory stick of 32 GB now...errr*

I can go one better...

Spoiler:

I still have a computer called an XT in the attic, one where you have to load the O/S on on boot up because it has no hard disk. The boot up disks are in my floppy box; they are DOS 3.2, on 3x 720k disks. For those that don't know, DOS was an operating system before Windows was conceived. And yes I still have Windows 3.1 too. In fact I have a boot sector disk I can use to boot my PC into DOS wheer I can format disks to 720kb specifically so I can still create disks to use on this machine. I have a computer geek for a brother. Comes in very handy too.

At work we were still using LP sized floppy disks for our upgrades well into the 1990's )

sigpic

Comment

OT Computers:
            Spoiler:
            My dad was a computer programmer all the way back in the late 60s/early 70s. He actually worked with Bill Gates years before Microsoft was conceived. My parent's basement is something of a computer graveyard museum and they actually have one computer down there my dad built from a Heathkit kit back in the 60s. You 'program' it using a bank of switches on its front and, after it performs the computation, a series of little lightbulbs read out the answer (in binary, so you have to know that to understand it). IIRC, it adds, subtracts, mutliplies, and divides. Which was pretty cool back then. Of course, since one had to know binary to figure out what 2+2 equaled, one suspects it had very little practical value

Comment

Hehe - this computer talk is fun and interesting!

More computer talk
              Spoiler:
              I remember getting really cranky at my computer because my favourite game would only run through DOS, not windows, and thinking 'why would anyone want windows when they could have DOS?' Haha, how times change
              sigpic

Comment

More OT. . .

Spoiler:
                My mother wrote her doctoral dissertation on a Franklin 64 (I think that's what it was called) and it took nearly 100 floppy disks to store the thing. She was so grateful she didn't have to type the whole thing! This was in 1981. Now my brother has a Kindle that will hold--250 books?--on one device, and my husband's iPod has every episode of SG-1, Atlantis, Sanctuary, and Eureka on it, plus the Bourne movies, and a dozen others, and all our music. It's amazing what a few decades will do. Okay--really feeling old.

And Happy Birthday RDA! You still got it!
                sigpic
                My Stories: FFdotNet
                My Stories AO3
                Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Pol - OT
                  Spoiler:
                  You feel free to whine about your back any time you need. I think most of us in here have probably had back problems at some point so we know what it's like. When I had it I flew off the handle at the slighest thing. The docs were completely useless I ended up going to a chiropractor and had to pay for it myself cause they ain't on NHS. Well let me tell you, it was the best money I ever spend. No more pain, much better movement, I can even bend down now

But people that's never suffered from backpain don't know how bad it can actually be So please if it makes you feel any better, whine, moan, complain to your hearts content
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                    Pol - OT
                    Spoiler:
                    You feel free to whine about your back any time you need. I think most of us in here have probably had back problems at some point so we know what it's like. When I had it I flew off the handle at the slighest thing. The docs were completely useless I ended up going to a chiropractor and had to pay for it myself cause they ain't on NHS. Well let me tell you, it was the best money I ever spend. No more pain, much better movement, I can even bend down now

But people that's never suffered from backpain don't know how bad it can actually be So please if it makes you feel any better, whine, moan, complain to your hearts content
                    Pol - OT:
                    Spoiler:
                    I ditto those comments. When I injured my back in about 1980, the doctors couldn't figure out what I had done to it, other than calling it "acute low back strain" (x-rays didn't show anything, and I'm not sure the hospital in the town where I lived had an MRI) - which, of course, doesn't explain why I spent nearly two weeks in the hospital because of the pain. It took about 8 years, and finally finding a chiropractor who immediately figured out the problem (two slipped discs - or whatever that's called these days), made some adjustments over the course of several weeks, and the pain went from about a 10+ to mostly non-existent.

So, anyway, you feel free to whine all you want to. Your back pain and the troubles of the world are completely different issues, and one really has nothing to do with the other. You can sympathize about the world troubles and still talk about your back pain at the same time.

Unfortunately, in the last few years, I've managed to fracture my tailbone and several ribs, and so am now experiencing pain again (back and nerve), but at least it's nothing like my former back pain was, so I suppose there's a positive in there somewhere.

And computer OT:
                    Spoiler:
                    I remember back in the early 70's, the office where I worked started using those old MTST's (magnetic tape), and then later the MCST (magnetic cards), which I thought were really cool. Then IBM came along with some "weird" computer thing with a memory in it, and I had the hardest time understanding that whole memory thing, and I'm sure the IBM guy was getting really frustrated that I kept asking him to explain over and over what the memory thingy was. But I got past that, and thought that using the computer was really cool.
                    Last edited by hedwig; 23 January 2010, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                      I can't find a good link either, but if you give me enough time I'd upload the video to PB.

ETA: Desire

Egle, you ROCK!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Originally posted by UhSir View Post
                      Thank you! I've been searching for SNY's work for a long time. Especially for this past year since I moved and lost a few discs full of precious Stargate stuff. *cries* Why does the important stuff always get lost?
                      Moving OT:
                      Spoiler:
                      The last several times I've moved (put it this way, save a stint round junior high years, the longest I've lived in any single residence is about two consecutive years--I'm a music-teacher-brat, tho, not military LOL), my entire collection of Stargate discs *and* my entire computer set-up (tower, monitor, speakers, cables, the whole gazillion yards) rode shotgun next to me in the car/truck/whatever vehicle I could scrounge. I am *NOT* going to *EVER* lose those discs. I am, however, discovering a need to re-burn some seasons into newer formats &/or updated codecs cause I have somehow managed to lose those older ones. Ah, the joys of technology...

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                      OT Computers:
                      Spoiler:
                      IIRC, it adds, subtracts, mutliplies, and divides. Which was pretty cool back then. Of course, since one had to know binary to figure out what 2+2 equaled, one suspects it had very little practical value
                      Totally random thought... 2 + 2 = 5, for particularly large values of 2.

Yes, I woke up utterly and completely off my rocker. If you saw my drabbles last nite, this should come as no surprise. More OT talk...
                      Spoiler:
                      I woke up having a particularly shippy dream. Not a S/J shippy dream, but shippy nonetheless. What's that? Really? You sure? Oh, okay. It was Luke & Lorelai from the Gilmore Girls--the worst Resolution in TV ship history, btw. Anyway, Luke rallied the town to help him surprise Lorelai with a (second) wedding proposal, and the townies decided to turn it into a surprise wedding. And it ended with a much *longer* than two-seconds-before-the-pan-to-the-uninteresting-townies lip-lock betweeen the lovebirds, I assure you. Me, bitter? Nah...

Edit: Oh, yes, wanted to comment on the other OT talk of the day, back probs...
                      Spoiler:
                      Mine began at the tender age of sixteen. I fell off a cowboy.

Spoiler:
                      What? It was a *play* rehearsal, I swear!

Love and hot fudge,
                      Bren Ren
                      ~
                      My stories!
                      ~

sigpic

Comment

Do you ever leave the gutter

How are we supposed to find something that was lost oh so many moons ago

hmm hmm *raises eyebrow Teal'c style* So....Does anyone believe her

I know, I forgot and noticed after I clicked submit and went back to fix it What? I'm ill, you have to forgive my little mishap

*throws swordfish at starlover* What? I'm too tired to chase you
                        *barely dodges sharp pointy swordfish*...hey! watch it!

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
                        I can't do Vegemite. Blech. When I lived in Australia the girl next door could eat it out of the jar with a spoon. I have however met an Aussie that doesn't like it (and he has to preface all his trips outside Australia with this fact because apparently people will go to some lengths to get it for him).

Er. On topic.

I'll be Sam and Jack don't like Vegemite...

Gutter
                        Spoiler:
                        Chocolate is so much tastier to use for...
                        oh wait... We're trying to be PG here...
                        ick....vegemite doesn't sound good....from what I hear it's awfully salty

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                        That sounds right. I think there's a series of "Compromising Situations" or "Compromising Positions", including the one where they're stuck together. Thanks.

"Compromising Positions: A Very Sticky Situation" by Kate McCaye
                        "Compromising Positions: Bubble Bath"
                        "Compromising Positions: Tied Up"
                        - I remember those....pretty hilarious

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                        OT Computers:
                        Spoiler:
                        My dad was a computer programmer all the way back in the late 60s/early 70s. He actually worked with Bill Gates years before Microsoft was conceived. My parent's basement is something of a computer graveyard museum and they actually have one computer down there my dad built from a Heathkit kit back in the 60s. You 'program' it using a bank of switches on its front and, after it performs the computation, a series of little lightbulbs read out the answer (in binary, so you have to know that to understand it). IIRC, it adds, subtracts, mutliplies, and divides. Which was pretty cool back then. Of course, since one had to know binary to figure out what 2+2 equaled, one suspects it had very little practical value
                        computers OT:

Spoiler:
                        we actually still have our old typwriter.....the oldest computer we ever possessed was and old XT computer that only had DOS and 512 KB base RAM (can't recall how much extended RAM there was)....but the mouse we had required the computer to have 640 KB base RAM......so that computer didn't even have enough base RAM for a mouse.....and it had one of those ugly green monochrome screens besides.....it eventually got infected with the boot sector virus known as "stoned"....called a boot sector virus because it resides in the boot sector of floppies....and if you have a floppy in the drive on start-up.....it doesn't matter if it's a bootable disk or not....the boot sector virus activates when the computer is accessing the floppy that was in there at boot up to check and see if it is a bootable disk and from there the virus migrates to the main hard disk.....after "stoned" did it's work the computer's hard disk was toast....one morning I tried to boot it up and got unintelligible gibberish...oh yeah....the only floppies we could use in it were 5.25"

and my mom served in the Women's Army Corps back when the IBM Selectric (sp?) typewriter was state of the art technology.....

Comment

Uhm... Does anyone have links to Bekki's songs? Mallozzi with a J and Just you wait? I've seem to have lost the links somewhere...

EDIT: Nvm found it ))
                          Last edited by Devilish Me; 23 January 2010, 11:13 AM.
                          sigpic
                          Big thanks to josi for avi and sig

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                            *barely dodges sharp pointy swordfish*...hey! watch it!
                            whoops, sorry

sooooooooo........*scratches head*

Yeah I got nothin'
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                              Spoiler:
                              I'd say it's of Amanda and Rick and the TWINS. WOW, Carter.
                              That's what I thought too! Yikes! Maybe I'm just a little prudish...

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                              Okay, now I'm feeling ANCIENT.

I remember getting my first computer. It took floppy disks the size of dessert plates, and had an amber screen that only did words and numbers. Nothing else. It wasn't until I came back from a stint in Argentina and got back into college that I had a computer that looked anything like what these current ones do!

And my kids ask me things like. . ."Mom, when you were a kid, what was your favorite Wii game? What internet games did you play? When did you get your first cell phone?"

Right now, I feel so ancient I could ascend!!!!

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                              I can go one better...

Spoiler:

I still have a computer called an XT in the attic, one where you have to load the O/S on on boot up because it has no hard disk. The boot up disks are in my floppy box; they are DOS 3.2, on 3x 720k disks. For those that don't know, DOS was an operating system before Windows was conceived. And yes I still have Windows 3.1 too. In fact I have a boot sector disk I can use to boot my PC into DOS wheer I can format disks to 720kb specifically so I can still create disks to use on this machine. I have a computer geek for a brother. Comes in very handy too.

At work we were still using LP sized floppy disks for our upgrades well into the 1990's )

Computer OT
                              Spoiler:
                              Although I'm only 27, my dad has been playing with and programming from back when they were punch cards I have always had a computer and I remember being 7 years old punching in menu commands to get to a computer game (you know with the lines and stick people?) and using the huge disks with the drive that sounded like it was grinding coffee... LOL

For the record my son, who will be 3 next month already has figured out my iPod Touch. He doesn't know what all the buttons do but he knows how to unlock it and he knows if he punches certain ones he can get it to "sing" or to play a movie... he also can start and stop the movie once in it. Yeah. I realized my kid is going to grow never having known that you you couldn't watch movies on your phone :: headdesk ::

Originally posted by BrenRen View Post
                              Yes, I woke up utterly and completely off my rocker. If you saw my drabbles last nite, this should come as no surprise. More OT talk... [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
                              Spoiler:
                              I woke up having a particularly shippy dream. Not a S/J shippy dream, but shippy nonetheless. What's that? Really? You sure? Oh, okay. It was Luke & Lorelai from the Gilmore Girls--the worst Resolution in TV ship history, btw. Anyway, Luke rallied the town to help him surprise Lorelai with a (second) wedding proposal, and the townies decided to turn it into a surprise wedding. And it ended with a much *longer* than two-seconds-before-the-pan-to-the-uninteresting-townies lip-lock betweeen the lovebirds, I assure you. Me, bitter? Nah...
                              GG OT
                              Spoiler:
                              BREN I am so with you on this. I watched the show to the very end - and personally I felt like Lorelai turned into a five year old right around season 5 going into 6 - she was going on FORTY and she couldn't just have a conversation with Luke? How self centered could she be? Luke isn't an impulse person, he never has been... :: mutters :: So she runs off and sleeps with someone else??? Really??? Lame. By the time the series ended I was so disgusted it was barely funny to me anymore which is sad because I own the first three seasons and absolutely love them

Buuuuuuuuuuuut to be on topic.

If Jack had seen the black dress Sam wore in that one episode "The Road Not Traveled" (that's the right one ... right?) - I don't think he would have been able to keep his eyes on her... eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
                                Buuuuuuuuuuuut to be on topic.

If Jack had seen the black dress Sam wore in that one episode "The Road Not Traveled" (that's the right one ... right?) - I don't think he would have been able to keep his eyes on her... eyes...
                                Something along these lines, perhaps?

Look her in the eyes...

Eyes, eyes, eyes...

Nope, still can't seem to look at her... eyes...

Almost... there...

Eyes!
                                Eyes! Eyes! Why is this so... hard...?

He definitely wasn't looking at my eyes.

Can't fool her for a second.
                                Love and hot fudge,
                                Bren Ren
                                ~
                                My stories!
                                ~

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X