Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starlover View Post
    at all the "normal" maritial issues...perhaps I should go a monastry(sp?) ...will be a lot easier I will take several "toy boys" with me then

You know I missed the word "boys" there on the first read and just got "toys" and the mental image of you taking *cough* toys to a monastary with you. You know the kind of toys I mean. Like the one Sam kept under her pillow while she was stationed on Atlantis - next to the picture of Jack. The one he had to send her more D cells for.

Regarding all this discussion about marital problems in fanfic, I do think an awful lot of whether you think it works are a fanfic story or not is very subjective to whether you think it's in character / canon for them to get to that point. If you're a stickler for strict canon you, probably, won't see it or like it. But that's not to say it's not worth writing because, IMO writing a very good, well, planned and fleshed out stories with a lot of believability on them in general, and an interesting plot, will go a long way to making a story worth reading regrdless of how unlikely it might be (ok, maybe not completely because there's limits but in general there's wiggle room when it's well written) I will just cite The Torment Of Tantalus here (the fanfic not the episode) which has a really rather out of character Sam and both Sam and Jack and even the others acting in ways I would say they just would not but it's a great story and imminently readable regardless of that.
    Personally I am a big fan of canon but I don't mind reading AU or slightly out of charcater stuff if it's well written and the purpose of the piece is to explore the "what if" of that scenario. What ifs are good and the meat and bones of fiction IMO. And, face it, in fanfiction you can write whatever the heck you like; that's rather the point of it, actually!

So I would say, if your muse takes you and you want to go ahead and write something which tests the bounds of their relationship, go right ahead and do so.

EDIT: I just thought actually. VSS wrote The Theory Of General Relativity which has a nice bit of relationship angst in the last few chapters. That's done for very believable reasons so worth reading (and generally, worth reading anyway because it's weep inducingly good, but read the prequel - As The World Doesn't Turn). Sorry no links yet as I am at work and I daren't open FF.net or I'll never stop reading.
    Last edited by Cagranosalis; 21 January 2010, 07:54 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
      A few random S/J established fic recs:

Kissin' in the Back Row - PepperJ

Dimensionless Quantities - Mrs. Pollifax

Just Your Average Everyday - Mrs. Pollifax

Coffee by A.Loquita

Still Waters - A.Loquita

Yeah. Most of these.. not so angsty

One just can't read 'Coffee' too many times. I adore that little fic.
      sigpic
      Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
        EDIT: I just thought actually. VSS wrote The Theory Of General Relativity which has a nice bit of relationship angst in the last few chapters. That's done for very believable reasons so worth reading (and generally, worth reading anyway because it's weep inducingly good, but read the prequel - As The World Doesn't Turn). Sorry no links yet as I am at work and I daren't open FF.net or I'll never stop reading.
        lol. You realize, though, those are completely AU already?

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
          Regarding all this discussion about marital problems in fanfic, I do think an awful lot of whether you think it works are a fanfic story or not is very subjective to whether you think it's in character / canon for them to get to that point. If you're a stickler for strict canon you, probably, won't see it or like it. But that's not to say it's not worth writing because, IMO writing a very good, well, planned and fleshed out stories with a lot of believability on them in general, and an interesting plot, will go a long way to making a story worth reading regrdless of how unlikely it might be (ok, maybe not completely because there's limits but in general there's wiggle room when it's well written) I will just cite The Torment Of Tantalus here (the fanfic not the episode) which has a really rather out of character Sam and both Sam and Jack and even the others acting in ways I would say they just would not but it's a great story and imminently readable regardless of that.
          Personally I am a big fan of canon but I don't mind reading AU or slightly out of charcater stuff if it's well written and the purpose of the piece is to explore the "what if" of that scenario. What ifs are good and the meat and bones of fiction IMO. And, face it, in fanfiction you can write whatever the heck you like; that's rather the point of it, actually!

So I would say, if your muse takes you and you want to go ahead and write something which tests the bounds of their relationship, go right ahead and do so.

I love VSS' stuff and those were so good. I too enjoy AU myself - I'm a "what if" kinda person and I like seeing the characters in more extreme settings than what we see in the show. I enjoy canon too - and I'll put up with a little OOC for a well written fic but the line is really thin where that's concerned. AU interests me both reading/writing because it gives me a chance to explore an aspect of the character that is perhaps only hinted at in the show. Plus, it also sometimes lets me flesh out plots from the show that I think realistically would have probably gone a different way. But it's not everyone's cup o' tea. But I don't like AU as an excuse to just make the characters do whatever - I've thought about "what if" and come to the conclusion that there's no way in any galaxy that would ever happen (a sweeping example are the stories where Sam gets pregnant and never tells Jack - I never buy it).

Ultimately though the thing with fanfic and such is it's for entertainment. I'm not going fault or think less of someone because they write a fic that I disagree with - I'm just probably not going to read it because I wouldn't enjoy it - we'd just have to agree to disagree

Comment

Originally posted by chrono trigger View Post
            hi just thought that i would say that i loved these two together i hope that if the next film is made that we actually see them together
            Welcome to the nuthouse Come join us in the cavern We have cookies.

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
            Humorous but mentions "feminine products"
            Spoiler:

Well I thought maybe I'd have Jack go to the grocery store and by the wrong kind of tampon, only to come home and find Sam hysterical because well, it's that time of the month, then she packs her bags and runs off to a cheesy motel while Jack gets drunk with whiskey. Then he trips and falls and starts bleeding out his nose and the only thing he has are tampons and when Sam comes home the next day (after having taken some Midol and eaten some chocolate) she finds him sprawled out on the couch with a tampon shoved up his nose.

But in retrospect I think my second idea about Jonas is better

Originally posted by Torzy86 View Post
            Don't we all
            *waves* Yay my first post, Hi all
            Welcome You can join us in the cavern too
            sigpic

Comment

Cags...the plastic never replaces the real... suddenly remembers "bob" (which is an abbreviation

Link:
              I just wanted to link it but it are "M" stories thus...Link to VSS author page the fanfics are called "As the World doesn't turn" and its sequel "The Theory of General Relativity"
              and from Karibou...same story("M" rated) Karibou's author page link All of her ship stories are recommended IMHO ...although they can get quite...heated...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                Welcome You can join us in the cavern too
                I'm sure she prefers the gutter...I mean pond

sigpic

Comment

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...z/gifs/wow.gif

Mmmmmm, how I love it!!!
                  Last edited by kusanagi; 21 January 2010, 10:20 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Glad you like it Kusanagi but please don't forget to remove the img tags of the pic... You have to delete them in here when quoting pictures/videos.
                    sigpic

Comment

Aye but she has to go through the cavern to get to the gutter pond
                      sigpic

Comment

How do you know that?

*looks at location*

OH yes...well...but when you're in there is no going out...

*blinks*

Well that came out wrong...

Oh yeez...

Nevermind me...
                        sigpic

Comment

How do you know that?

*looks at location*

OH yes...well...but when you're in there is no going out...

*blinks*

Well that came out wrong...

Oh yeez...

Nevermind me...
                          oooooooookaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy......No more spending time with Bren for you
                          sigpic

Comment

About S/J and their marital problems.
                            Well, I don't enjoy this kind of stories at all. Probably because I don't find them truthful. Sam and Jack went through hell together (not only in personal life). IMO when people find themselves in a life threat situation, a special bond is created between them. For our characters it was something they were dealing with for 8 years (when both in the team). Surely just because of that they've got deeper understanding of each other (the other possibilities are that I'm a totally helpless romantic or really naive ). Anyway, I think their relationship is fully mature and goes beyond that! Of course they do have different kinds of arguments but I wouldn't say it's something major, like walking away from each other or cheating.or maybe I'm just optimistic...?
                            At least that's what I think. Man, writing in english is so hard
                            Last edited by kusanagi; 21 January 2010, 12:07 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Glad you like it Kusanagi but please don't forget to remove the img tags of the pic... You have to delete them in here when quoting pictures/videos.
                              Ok, will do, thanks for reminding me
                              Sounds a wee bit scottish Is there any connection?
                              sigpic

Comment

On the marital issues debate one situation where I can see them having some problems is when one or both retire and they're finally living in the same house in the same city all the time after all these years of a long-distance marriage. Nothing threatening their relationship just a bump in the road.
                                DDC

Comment

Working...
                                X