Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
    Linda - I despise baby!fics - but my "Supposed Crime"/"Professional Boundaries" AU series has a baby in it... I just sort of send him off world... a lot... for most of the story No cutesy in this one!

Hmmm, I want to write an angsty established S/J. What kind of marriage problems do you think they might run into? I want a major one. So I can have lots and lots of angst.
    I actually love baby fics...yes, I'm one of those shippers!

Anywho...I am in the camp that thinks Jack and Sam could have marital problems. Sam and Jack aren't perfect people, something could come up and test their marriage. I started writing a fic, (okay, so it was kid angst) and it made for some problems in their marriage. I haven't finished it...but I did have two shippers voice that they could never see Sam and Jack having marital problems, even though I thought it was a legitimate reason. Anywho...that just comes from personal experience. They're not perfect, so their marriage wouldn't always be that way. Just MHO.

Comment

Originally posted by JackandSamAddict View Post
      Anywho...I am in the camp that thinks Jack and Sam could have marital problems. Sam and Jack aren't perfect people, something could come up and test their marriage. I started writing a fic, (okay, so it was kid angst) and it made for some problems in their marriage. I haven't finished it...but I did have two shippers voice that they could never see Sam and Jack having marital problems, even though I thought it was a legitimate reason. Anywho...that just comes from personal experience. They're not perfect, so their marriage wouldn't always be that way. Just MHO.
      I don't think the point was that they couldn't have marital problems but that after everything they've been through, and everything they've already had to overcome together, and at their age and maturity levels, most 'problems' would tend to drive them together rather than drive them apart. But everyone has their own view of the characters, so don't let one person's opinion stop you from writing whatever you want...

Comment

Originally posted by chrono trigger View Post
        hi just thought that i would say that i loved these two together i hope that if the next film is made that we actually see them together
        WELCOME TO OUR THREAD!!!!!!
        This isn't the only thread either, we have just a discussion thread, several other threads, our holiday thread (for Ship Day, Shipmas, Shipgiving, and Valenship Day ) and a 10,000page thread that we broke.
        sigpic

Comment

Gak! this new board style is making it terribly hard not to miss posts!!

Like this one:
          hi just thought that i would say that i loved these two together i hope that if the next film is made that we actually see them together
          Thanks for stopping by!

You get a present:

Comment

We will. I Believe.

Welcome, by the way. You snuck in there.

Regarding Sam/Jack relationship problems. I do think every relationship, no matter how strong, has potential to run into difficulties. I can see there being a few cases where things could get rocky for them - Jack's not the most emotionally open person (and I don't think that would change) and there's also the whole adjustment from their previous CO/2IC relationship to adjust to too. Then there's just crap life throws at you like a serious illness or even if there's a disagreement about having children (maybe Sam wants one and Jack doens't or vice versa) or even they both want kids but it's not happening (and nothing screws over a relationship like infertility can). I could also envision Jack maybe not being on speaking terms with his family and Sam interferring and that causing strife. Not to say any of that would necessarily be a marriage breaker but it might be enough, combined with the distance between them, to make them seriously question whether their relationship is workable.
            So yes, I think, if you want to write relationship angst in an establlished relationship it can be done without making it OOC.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
              So, in the holy tradition of Brangelina and Bennifer, what do we call this pairing?

Jamantha?

Sirrarter?

Sack?
              Thankfully, just S/J or Sam/Jack. No not-at-all cutsy nicknames for them.
              sigpic
              Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Welcome, Chrono Trigger!

As for the marital problem thing--I've been married for a long time, and I can tell you from experience that the angst that there is in my marriage is so bleah that it wouldn't make a good fic! I can tell you that one of the things that I could see them arguing/angst-ing about is infertility and how to deal with it. Women and men deal with it so differently that it makes for a few bumps here and there. . .It puts massive amounts of strain on a relationship.

But I really think that whatever would give an established Jack/Sam (no, I won't call them Jam, even though the guttery Sack made me giggle out loud) angst within a marriage would be some sort of outside influence. I believe that they are well-suited enough to work through whatever else. JMHO.
                sigpic
                My Stories: FFdotNet
                My Stories AO3
                Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

On one hand, I agree with most about S/J being married - they've not only known each other for a long time, but they're middle aged, adults, who have relationships under the belt. In talking about angst, I'm not necessarily meaning that it's something that would seem insurmountable - having watched my own parents marriage (now 35 years) - marriages go through good and bad times. Certainly after 35 years my parents have found a groove and they work with it - but unlike Jack and Sam - they've *lived* with each other, as equals, for that length of time. I could probably pick quite a few times that I know of that I think would make very good angst driven stories - they've weathered a lot together.

So in some ways S/J are like a long married couple. In other ways they're just newlyweds. I want to write a story that pushes them to have to overcome something together. Angst doesn't mean they're driven apart IMO - angst just means there's something that has to be climbed and it may put them at odds with each other (but that doesn't mean they doubt the other's commitment).

And despite my earlier post (which sorry Jenn it came out snarkier than I intended up on re-read) - I do want to pull from the Stargate stories we have. I'm just trying to find one that I like. One that catches my interest so to speak.

Comment

And despite my earlier post (which sorry Jenn it came out snarkier than I intended up on re-read) - I do want to pull from the Stargate stories we have. I'm just trying to find one that I like. One that catches my interest so to speak.
                    I figured, which is why I tried to give you some Stargate related examples. My favorite one, frankly, is the idea that Sam's old demons - fear of being left - rear up, as in APA's Sam's It's a Wonderful Life or Jack's do - fear of losing Sam (as in my Beachhead.) I think there's a lot of room for angsty established stories just using the issues and situations we know they've really had.

EDIT: Or, IOW, if you can figure a way to have something bring out one of those two demons so they have to confront it again, yet show how they've grown and matured both together and separetely so that now they deal with it differently.. that's what Id' recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                      I figured, which is why I tried to give you some Stargate related examples. My favorite one, frankly, is the idea that Sam's old demons - fear of being left - rear up, as in APA's Sam's It's a Wonderful Life or Jack's do - fear of losing Sam (as in my Beachhead.) I think there's a lot of room for angsty established stories just using the issues and situations we know they've really had.

EDIT: Or, IOW, if you can figure a way to have something bring out one of those two demons so they have to confront it again, yet show how they've grown and matured both together and separetely so that now they deal with it differently.. that's what Id' recommend.
                      I was contemplating trying to explore more of her relationship with Jonas. It seems to me that those painful relationships tend to influence us later in life (and I have to believe, if we're looking for in show explanations, that Jonas influenced her finding a relationship with Pete) and I think that might be interesting too.

Who knows with this stuff. I'll have a great idea one day and then forget about it the next. Or this might sit in my head for six months. I'm still working on the Sanctuary thing in my head and I only plan for it to be a one shot.

Comment

I was contemplating trying to explore more of her relationship with Jonas. It seems to me that those painful relationships tend to influence us later in life (and I have to believe, if we're looking for in show explanations, that Jonas influenced her finding a relationship with Pete) and I think that might be interesting too.
                        That sounds like a really cool idea, actually, and is what I meant about using 'Stargate' stories. My point was just, find a situation or circumstance or characteristic of Sam or Jack already present in the show and explore that. If you're going to add a completely extraneous situation without there being a specific character-based reason it's happening to Sam and Jack either as individuals or as a couple is important and unique, you might as well name the couple Bob and Sue and publish it as an original short-story.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                          That soiunds like a really cool idea, actually, and is what I meant about using 'Stargate' stories. My point was just, find a situation or circumstance or characteristic of Sam or Jack already present in the show and explore that. If you're going to add a completely extraneous situation without there being a specific character-based reason it's happening to Sam and Jack either as individuals or as a couple is important and unique, you might as well name the couple Bob and Sue and publish it as an original short-story.
                          Humorous but mentions "feminine products"
                          Spoiler:

Well I thought maybe I'd have Jack go to the grocery store and by the wrong kind of tampon, only to come home and find Sam hysterical because well, it's that time of the month, then she packs her bags and runs off to a cheesy motel while Jack gets drunk with whiskey. Then he trips and falls and starts bleeding out his nose and the only thing he has are tampons and when Sam comes home the next day (after having taken some Midol and eaten some chocolate) she finds him sprawled out on the couch with a tampon shoved up his nose.

But in retrospect I think my second idea about Jonas is better

Comment

But in retrospect I think my second idea about Jonas is better
                            No. I like that one! Please!
                            sigpic
                            My Stories: FFdotNet
                            My Stories AO3
                            Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

me too!!

sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                                me too!!

I want to third that
                                sigpic
                                thanks sg4ever for the awesome icon!!! (dont steal it!!!) My FanFic

Comment

Working...
                                X