• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
    Just dropping off a fic rec - I found it amusing

How Not to Fall in Love with Your Second in Command by Jack O'Neill
    *giggles* that was good!

As for the topic of vid making....it's fun but way too much work. I prefer easier things like PS or writing... I'm too impatient..
    As for ripping and the issues I had with it in the past...in a weird way my Sam and Jack were always speaking French, German or Italian when I ripped them
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bekki View Post
      *happy sigh*

I'm goign to take this opportunity to point out just how much I fangirl Eve and her movie making tut! I am possibly the queen of not understanding instructions, and avoid doing new things for that very reason, but Eve's tut is so easy to follow!!!

*huggles Eve*

So good!

*wants to start vidding again*
      Well thank you I have never been fangirled before...it feels weird!!!
      And yeah all this talk has made me want to make a vid again but don't have time atm sadly enough

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
      I use bitripper to rip DVDs to my harddrive. It's uber-easy, free, and saves steps from the above process. I never could wrap m head around the technical stuff of that.

Not that I make music videos (my mind doesn't work that way) but it works for any ripping. And I've never had the sound not match the video.

EDIT: Which, to clarify, I only do for my own personal use as I've had to many original DVDs scratched beyond repair by one of my kids.

EDIT2: Bitripper, to more specific, not only rips the DVD but it automatically converts it to whatever format file you want on your hardrive in one step. Not sure if it can simply record clips from an episode (though it can do chapters on a DVD), but it's so fast that hardly matters, you can clip what you want afterwards.
      Yeah I used to use Bitripper but it only does chapters or the whole episode or dvd...What if you make a vid can be a pain. I prefer having clips then to work with chapters or whole episodes.

It makes my folder system confused...

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
        *giggles* that was good!

As for the topic of vid making....it's fun but way too much work. I prefer easier things like PS or writing... I'm too impatient..
        As for ripping and the issues I had with it in the past...in a weird way my Sam and Jack were always speaking French, German or Italian when I ripped them
        Change the input of your vid You do that with dvdX. Just change it to English. It's that easy.

If you go to output you can also change what you want it clipped in, widescreen, 16:9, 4:3,...

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
          Change the input of your vid You do that with dvdX. Just change it to English. It's that easy.

If you go to output you can also change what you want it clipped in, widescreen, 16:9, 4:3,...
          I know now...but at the time I didn't knew it...since then I've stopped making vids and all Thus not really important for me anymore I just found it funny that it wouldn't convert automatically with the right settings

My daily dose of Grace kiss!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
            Hah! He took away all her doohickies and replaced them with himself. Well - that'll keep her hands busy for a while. . .

*splash*

HATE HATE HATE that the forum doesn't go to the last post I read anymore. Meh.

Is there a place to post all the things we don't like about the new forum?
            At the top of the thread where the Thread tools link is, to the left is "View First Unread". It will take you to your first unread post. At least it has worked for me so far.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
              Just dropping off a fic rec - I found it amusing

How Not to Fall in Love with Your Second in Command by Jack O'Neill

Thanks for the link.
              I would add one more point to this guide:
              11. If, from some reason, one of the above fails, you just go ahead marry your SC!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kusanagi View Post
                I would add one more point to this guide:
                11. If, from some reason, one of the above fails, you just go ahead marry your SC!!!

lol. right. You've inspired me :

11. If you find you absolutely must fall in love with the woman and none of the above work to prevent it, the only remaining option is to make sure she is no longer your SC. If that should happen, she must then be referred to as SO, which stands for Someone-else's Officer, or one of many other possible things as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                  lol. right. You've inspired me :

11. If you find you absolutely must fall in love with the woman and none of the above work to prevent it, the only remaining option is to make sure she is no longer your SC. If that should happen, she must then be referred to as SO, which stands for Someone-else's Officer, or one of many other possible things as well.

True, he can't really marry his SC
                  sigpic

Comment

Just before I go to work:

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for that great fic rec Rachel.

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                      I like that song, too. And i love what one announcer said about the video on CMT once. "Never have so many women wanted to be a guitar."

So, I know that this isn't really pertinent, but how does one download these videos onto one's iPod? I heard tell of one of you having them all. . . is that kosher to do?

Some vid makes host them on sites where you can download them onto your PC and, from there I assume easily onto your Ipod (never tried it myself). If you see them on YT you can always comment and ask the make if there is a download available - most don't mind. Failing that you can install a YouTube downloader on your PC which allows you to download direct from YT. It's a courtesy to ask first but, as I say, most makers don't mind so long as it's for personal use only and not to be reposted claiming ownership etc. I have a mediafire account with all mine for download so if you want any of mine, let me know you can have the url.

Can I just ask you guys what software do you use to make vids. you see I would like to try myself Valenship is coming and I thought, maybe, maybe....
                      Thanks

There's been a lot of repsonses but I'll sumarise the main players for you (spoilered for long and mostly OT to Sam/Jack)

Spoiler:

Firstly you need to obtain the clips, as Replicarterjte says. There are several programmes yo can use to do this - I use both DVD Shrink and a programme called DVDx (DVDx only does whole disks or chapters but, actually, I have found it easier to rip the entire lot and pick and chose what you need for the video you are making. Yes, i do have 10 seasons plus movies all on my hard drive.
                      This is the most time consuming part of the process so, if I were you, for the first one I'd work out what song you want to do and what clips you want and just clip those bits with DVD shrink. I would also try and pick a fairly simple song to start with; one with a measurable beat; you can work up to the complex ones later. I made my first one to this song, which had a really simple beat so the transitions between the clips were very easy to map out.

I always plan out my videos by writing down the lyrics, duration of them and what scene I want in each one. I find it speeds the process up a lot. You don't have to though, you can just play and see.

Video editing software

There are four main players for PC. Mac has a couple and more modern Macs come with Imovie pre-installed which is pretty decent.
                      The PC ones are:

Windows Movie Maker: Comes pre installed. A fairly basic package but, if you know how to use it you can get some fabulous results from it. Obviously has the advantage that it's free with Windows.

Cyberlink Powerdirector: More advanced that WMM. Has lots of nice transitions and effects. You can add extra video tracks and make layers etc. Biggest positive is that it's fairly intuitive for a beginner. Disadvantage is you have to pay for it but don't buy direct from them - shop around. You can download a 30 free trial here.

Sony Vegas: Very similar to Powerdirector, although the terminology is different so going from one to the other can be confusing until you figure out what everything does. Has more effects and manipulation tools than PD and slightly more professional looking. Costs slightly more, depending on which version you go for but the buig advantage is there are literally hundreds f tutorials for it on YT. You can download a trial for it here.

Adobe Premiere Pro: This is just about professional level video editing, and that's reflected in the cost. I've never used it but from the terminology I've seen used it sound similarish to PD so might be easier to transition to using (particularly if you've used other adobe creative products). Most people can't afford this for just recreational use. You can download a trial of this here

There are other packages out there but those are the most commonly used ones.

I use Powerdirector for making my videos, which is adequate (and you can see from them that you can get some pretty cool effects etc.) but I'd absolutely love to get my hands on Vegas and / or Premiere pro. Somewhat out of my budget I'm afraid but maybe one day.

Good luck. And go for it!

sigpic

Comment

Can I just ask you guys what software do you use to make vids. you see I would like to try myself Valenship is coming and I thought, maybe, maybe....
                        Thanks
                        I am trying to make something for Valenship too! I have been having so much fun playing around with different graphics and everyone's advice has helped out a lot. I can't wait to see all the gifts. What day did we pick? Oops, I forgot to vote.

Originally posted by cess525 View Post
                        VALENSHIP:

Saturday, February 6 (6)
                        Saturday, February 13 (15)
                        Found it. I think this is the latest one.

OT - This vid talk is way over my head. But maybe, and I do say maybe, I will eventually try it.
                        sigpic
                        I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

OT - This vid talk is way over my head. But maybe, and I do say maybe, I will eventually try it.
                          I feel no such compunction! I will stick to writing fanfic. At least I understand the terminology! Leave the big stuff to the experts!

So can you write something for valenship instead of making something video or graphic-y?
                          sigpic
                          My Stories: FFdotNet
                          My Stories AO3
                          Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                            I feel no such compunction! I will stick to writing fanfic. At least I understand the terminology! Leave the big stuff to the experts!

So can you write something for valenship instead of making something video or graphic-y?
                            Yeah see, I couldn't write if my life depended on it...I just can't do it

I tried but well failed bad time!!! I do enjoy writing sadly enough but I know it isn't good enough in comparison to everyone else

But then neither are my video's or graphics...

I tend to mediocre in most things anyway.

Comment

Okay I'm officially having a Jack moment. "CARTER!!!" at all the vid talk LOL.

Top of the muffin to all of you

Comment

Whoa. You're gone a few days and when you come back, you can't even recognize the place!

I'm too old for this kids. You reach a certain age and you don't like change
                                LOL, Trupi. I've been "too old" for change since I was about 10!

Comment

Working...
                                X