Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post
    While I like both reasonings (goodbye kiss and last ditch), I always thought that it was a "well, since I CAN, I might as well fulfill my dreams"....she knows she's seeing things so she thought she'd take advantage of it, have some brief comfort before going to save herself
    I've been following along with this, and I think there's an important factor that we're forgetting. After the kiss (which is all too brief in real time when its not slo-mo'd), Sam actually says "never mind". So even in her hallucination it didn't actually happen. She only had a brief thought flash about it, then thinks better of it.

To me, that indicates that she's still too hesitant about it to consider letting the possibility go. Maybe it's because she's not ready to knock on that door, or maybe because she's holding out that the real thing is going to be so much better, and might be happening soon. She might have been letting the dream go if she'd actually let herself have that dream kiss, but she didn't. It's still verboten, even to her subconscious. Personally, I think it was because it was too tempting--if she started, even in a hallucination, she'd never stop!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
      Can someone tell me who Sir Percival was in King Arthur legend?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36548[/ATTACH]
      I associate him with being the one who found the Holy Grail but since I probably got that out of a movie, I googled him. Here's what Wikipedia says http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percival
      sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
        Welcome Arduina.

Sir Percival was a Knight of the Round Table.

The majority of my posts are from the S/J ship threads and the Jack/RDA thunk thread over the years. I don't post here as much nowadays, but I still read the thread every day.
        I also post throughout the forum. There's a big, fun world out there. The only problem is that you can't really mention the S/J ship too much as it is likely to cause arguments. Having said that, it's still fun to read and post in other parts of the forum, but I always return here for my daily dose of Sam and Jack Shipping.

I must confess, I do try to venture out from time to time, but I find how HUGE the forum is daunting. Also, the anti-ship sentiments irritate me to know end. I would understand it if we were doing our own fantasy pairing, totally made up like some ships are (no disrespect to those ships) but the S/J ship is show canon so I view people who get nasty when it is mentioned in other threads as antagonistic and frankly, the mods should warn them and not the shipper. I mean, I would never go into a thread and bring up The Ship out of context of the discussion, nor would I speculate (and gush) about things that did not actually occur between the two characters. But years ago, I reported a hostile poster that jumped all over me for bringing up The Ship IN CONTEXT of the discussion(she actually told me to GET OUT of the thread and go to a shipper thread) and the mod defended the antagonist that "oh, she gets like that and has strong feelings about the Sam/Jack ship". The only good thing to come of that is I did seek out the S/J shippers and have been in the safety of the pleasant people on these threads ever since. I avoid the other threads because no sense getting into arguments about something I perceive as the facts of the show, but then not being backed up by TPTB. Isn't that the usual fate for The Ship? *sigh*

Comment

I wasn't referring specifically to the SHIP when I said entertain differing points of view, etc. I was talking about different SHOWS and different ideas about everything under the sun. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
            I wasn't referring specifically to the SHIP when I said entertain differing points of view, etc. I was talking about different SHOWS and different ideas about everything under the sun. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.
            I know. I was just teasing you!

Comment

Popping all over the place is good for you - broadens horizons, entertains varying points of view, challenges your ideas.
              I agree. The forum is very large, so I would suggest people take it one sub-forum at a time to get an idea of what's there.
              There are many funny and interesting posters that aren't S/J Shippers, but it can be good fun interacting with them.

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
              I must confess, I do try to venture out from time to time, but I find how HUGE the forum is daunting.

Post under spoilers for space.
              Spoiler:
              Also, the anti-ship sentiments irritate me to know end. I would understand it if we were doing our own fantasy pairing, totally made up like some ships are (no disrespect to those ships) but the S/J ship is show canon so I view people who get nasty when it is mentioned in other threads as antagonistic and frankly, the mods should warn them and not the shipper. I mean, I would never go into a thread and bring up The Ship out of context of the discussion, nor would I speculate (and gush) about things that did not actually occur between the two characters. But years ago, I reported a hostile poster that jumped all over me for bringing up The Ship IN CONTEXT of the discussion(she actually told me to GET OUT of the thread and go to a shipper thread) and the mod defended the antagonist that "oh, she gets like that and has strong feelings about the Sam/Jack ship". The only good thing to come of that is I did seek out the S/J shippers and have been in the safety of the pleasant people on these threads ever since. I avoid the other threads because no sense getting into arguments about something I perceive as the facts of the show, but then not being backed up by TPTB. Isn't that the usual fate for The Ship? *sigh*

I understand your feelings (and I suspect I know which anti-shipper you're talking about ), and it can be very frustrating reading posts which dismiss the ship. I have learned that it's better for my blood pressure to just scroll past these posts without comment.

The good thing moving around the forum is that you get to see other people's points of view about the show, plus a million other subjects that can be found in the off-topic forum.

There are forum members that will have a nice civil discussion about the ship, but unfortunately there are a lot of silly trouble-makers that just love to make comments that will stir up an argument. Apart from the odd comment, I now keep my shippy posts to this thread.

I still think it's a good idea to look around the forum. I read lots of posts but don't necessarily post. I have learned many useful things about other countries, computers and their programmes, the culture, politics and education of other nations etc.

I have also learned that it's a good idea to take a breath and give yourself some time to think before you reply to a post that you may not agree with. This is all good training for real life.

Although I am a forum traveller, my home will always be here, with my Shipper Family.

Sam and Jack...together, forever!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                I would like to hold Valenship on . . .

Saturday, February 2
                Saturday, February 9
                Saturday, February 16 (12)
                Saturday, February 23 (3)

It looks like, despite my best efforts, Valenship will be held on Feb. 16!

Invites to come soon.
                Excellent!

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
                Invites? Thought all could participate. (Pardon, new to Valenship)
                The invites are the ones that get posted in the shippy (and character) threads, to apprise and invite others who don't visit this particular thread to come join in the celebrations. Those are usually posted right before the Shippy holiday thread is opened but there'll be an invite posted in this thread much earlier (as hlndncr said "soon") so that everyone can take note, circle the date in their calendar and start working on their shippy contributions.

This pic is so cute! Never fails to make me smile. I forget. is it a manip?
                I like it very much too. Used to have it as ava here but then someone else (I think it was hedwig) also used it and it confused me, so now I'm sticking to my current one. Don't think it was a manip but I simply saved it when I saw it fly by one day, no doubt during a shippy holiday. Looks like it might be an off-screen/bts pic of Secrets...
                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

This pic is so cute! Never fails to make me smile. I forget. is it a manip?
                  The photo you are referring to is not a manipulation. It was from the first season, and is one of a set of four polaroids that were taken. The original four were auctioned off, but some of us have taken to using that one as an avatar and in signature blocks.

Comment

OK, I'm going to share the invite/sig/avi for Valenship.
                    Feel free to use them!

sigpic
                    My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Nice invite, Chemmy!

~

Oh, by the way, does anyone have some nice pics of Sam and Jack (separately) looking straight into the camera, with or without a smile (and not too much hair in their face or other things like glasses etc obstructing their facial structure)?

Never mind, I did some googling and got a nice bunch of pics. I can always resort to caps later on if necessary.
                      Last edited by fems; 07 January 2013, 09:52 AM. Reason: Oh great, now I'm the first one the page...
                      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Hi, not sure if you guys remember me but I'm AmberLM (I forgot my login details and no longer have the email address I registered with back in 2004-ish!) *waves*

Comment

Chemmy is clearly anxious for Valenship!

Comment

Oh, Nolamom, I totally didn't see your post *embarassed* so my griping was not directed at you at all!

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                            I agree. The forum is very large, so I would suggest people take it one sub-forum at a time to get an idea of what's there.
                            There are many funny and interesting posters that aren't S/J Shippers, but it can be good fun interacting with them.

[/spoilers]

I understand your feelings (and I suspect I know which anti-shipper you're talking about ), and it can be very frustrating reading posts which dismiss the ship. I have learned that it's better for my blood pressure to just scroll past these posts without comment.

The good thing moving around the forum is that you get to see other people's points of view about the show, plus a million other subjects that can be found in the off-topic forum.

There are forum members that will have a nice civil discussion about the ship, but unfortunately there are a lot of silly trouble-makers that just love to make comments that will stir up an argument. Apart from the odd comment, I now keep my shippy posts to this thread.

I still think it's a good idea to look around the forum. I read lots of posts but don't necessarily post. I have learned many useful things about other countries, computers and their programmes, the culture, politics and education of other nations etc.

I have also learned that it's a good idea to take a breath and give yourself some time to think before you reply to a post that you may not agree with. This is all good training for real life.

Although I am a forum traveller, my home will always be here, with my Shipper Family.

Sam and Jack...together, forever!
                            I swear whatever I said (it was sooooo many years ago) was benign and just a fact of the show - no speculation, wishing they were together, nothing. If I watched a show and disliked a character or relationship, that doesn't mean I would pretend it doesn't exist, forbid others to talk about it, and especially be rude to someone who does mention it. I love the set up on the Gateworld boards but I think, just like why the Ship never went anywhere - neither forward or completely tanked - lack of cohonas to say ""yes we wrote it, it exists, now here is what we're going to do with it." Even if that "do with it" would have been to put the complete kabash on it after Season 4. But they didn't. Let's try to please everyone and no one and string folks along.... ok, nevermind. I feel a rant working up and I just hadn't had a good one for a while *hangs head and retreats in shameful defeat*

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
                              I swear whatever I said (it was sooooo many years ago) was benign and just a fact of the show - no speculation, wishing they were together, nothing. If I watched a show and disliked a character or relationship, that doesn't mean I would pretend it doesn't exist, forbid others to talk about it, and especially be rude to someone who does mention it. I love the set up on the Gateworld boards but I think, just like why the Ship never went anywhere - neither forward or completely tanked - lack of cohonas to say ""yes we wrote it, it exists, now here is what we're going to do with it." Even if that "do with it" would have been to put the complete kabash on it after Season 4. But they didn't. Let's try to please everyone and no one and string folks along.... ok, nevermind. I feel a rant working up and I just hadn't had a good one for a while *hangs head and retreats in shameful defeat*
                              Just for a moment consider how badly they handled all that... and then be glad they didn't ruin our precious ship with some bad confirmation stuff and go on to ruin the characters, their integrity and probably their relationship (they'd undoubtedly have to break up and/or at least have kids, meaning at least one of them would have left the Program/military etc). This way we can all imagine how it would have gone ourselves.
                              On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Yes, thank you, fems. *deep, calm, slow, breathing*

Comment

Working...
                                X