No announcement yet.

Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has anyone seen the SG-1 facebook page? https://www.facebook.com/#!/officialstargatesg1

they are re-telling COTG as if through members of SG1/SGC etc posting updates etc

who thinks that along the lines they could have some great fun with this for us S/J shippers

example:

'sam carter changed her relationship status to in a relationship with Jack O'Neill'
    sigpic
    Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Originally posted by SGSuzi View Post
      has anyone seen the SG-1 facebook page? https://www.facebook.com/#!/officialstargatesg1

they are re-telling COTG as if through members of SG1/SGC etc posting updates etc

who thinks that along the lines they could have some great fun with this for us S/J shippers

example:

'sam carter changed her relationship status to in a relationship with Jack O'Neill'
      if only that were true.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
        if only that were true.
        of course it's true some one just needs to tell us
        sigpic
        Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Originally posted by SGSuzi View Post
          of course it's true some one just needs to tell us
          indeed.

Comment

It’s been a while since I’ve contributed a significant post to the shippy threads, so I guess this thing has been building for a while. Technically it could be considered a rant, but I’ll be gracious and term it a soliloquy. As you read, you might think "duh" to some parts, but it was written with the non-shippy crowd in mind as well. Just FYI.

Spoiler:

In the wake of watching NCIS reruns on cable, I find myself gagging. Not because I dislike the quality of writing or because I feel the powers that be are looking for ratings rather than enjoyable realism, but rather because gagging is the only way I could swallow around the copious amounts of TIVA that’s been shoved down my throat.

For those of you not familiar with NCIS, TIVA is the prominent ship between characters Tony and Ziva, which the Powers That Be are trying to develop; a ship that is so laden with angst it’s already sinking.

Now before I get modded for being off topic (hats off to on-lock moderators, of course ), let me just mention that the idea of any ship being ruined for me is solely the result of having been exposed to Sam and Jack.

It’s been said before, and I’m sure it will continue to be said for many, many years that Sam and Jack are the ultimate ship. The One True Pair (or the OTP, for the ship-savvy), if you will. This is due to a number of reasons, many which will be familiar to most. Here are just a few:

-It’s subtle. A viewer can see as much ship as they want, and ignore the parts they want to overlook. So while some shippers can see two hearts yearning to be something more in a single look across the briefing room table, other non-shippers can see only a glance between coworkers, a familiarity borne of years of serving together.

-It’s sweet. Jack is a simple guy. He says so himself in the episode “Grace.” His feelings for Sam often emerge in little ways—a touch here, a quirked eyebrow there. And Sam responds with big, beaming smiles or a chiding “sir…” There’s really only one word for it: adorable.

-It’s persistent. They wait eight years to do anything. And that’s for those shippers who accept that they got married in a brief window of time between Seasons 8 and 9. It’s even longer for other shippers, who think they wouldn’t do anything until Sam gets back from Atlantis (another 3-4 years past Season 8) or even until Jack retires (who knows when that will be?). That’s a LONG time.

-It’s engaging. The characters are in and of themselves complete, unique personalities. They have depths and layers to their histories that influence their decisions and stories. They are individuals who are not compromised by their ship. That is, the ship does not make them who they are. They make the ship.

Consider this in comparison: In NCIS, Ziva joins the team in Season 3, and immediately becomes Tony's partner. There’s an instant attraction; let’s face it, they’re both attractive people, and they’re partners. In tee-vee land, they’re practically already married. By Episode 8 of Season 3 (“Under Covers”), they’re already having fake sex while on a mission (or was it fake??). Eight episodes. Eight. That’s all it takes. And in the years since it’s been Ziva being jealous of Tony’s secret girlfriend, and then Tony being jealous of Ziva’s boyfriend.

To be fair, Sam and Jack have also had their ups and downs. There’ve been confirmed relationships with other people in the eight years they tried to move past the feelings they felt for each other. But these trysts were relatively short-lived by comparison, and it never drove the plot arc for an entire season. And in between they never, ever let their jealousy or hurt compromise their ability to work together. At times, I wonder how Tony and Ziva even function in the field anymore.

In other shows, and not just NCIS, I’ve been faced with characters whose most defining attributes are the fact that they are involved with so-and-so. In a world of Tivas, Brangelinas, and Bennifers, couples become increasingly singular units that are no longer a sum of parts, but rather two people who become as smooshed together in people’s minds as their names.

I’m proud that Sam and Jack have not been subjected to such branding. Let’s face it—names like Sack or Jam just sound retarded anyway. But to me it also signifies that they remain distinct. Sam and Jack. As integral as things like peanut butter and jelly, black and white, or even butter and toast. They’re two separate entities, but they clearly belong together.

All of these elements combine into a single glowing ball of awesomeness. Sam and Jack. The OTP.

Thank you, SG-1, for giving me a ship to believe in.

End rant.

P.S. I don't dislike NCIS. But sometimes I do wish they'd take a page out of the SG-1 book in terms of execution.

Comment

Selene - I don't watch NCIS, but I agree with you. Particularly with regards to the name. The one ship I do have that has 'a name' (Castle/Becket = Caskett (which equals WTH?! from me)) - and I avoid it. I won't use it.

But yeah. S/J has ruined me for all other shipping. I ship few and rare (J/C which was pre-S/J, Castle/Beckett) The end for me

Comment

Something for the Cavern dwellers

No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Something fluffier

Comment

A better view of Amanda's answer to the question during Fan Expo

Comment

Another vid rec

Nyn, the vidder is one of your fellow Janeway/Chakotay shippers

Comment

Looking at the Google doodle for today, I was wondering wouldn't it be nice if someone could do one for SG-1, with of course a little fishing by and at the end.

Comment

Another one for the Cavern dwellers

Comment

An older vid

Warning: Onscreen Spanish lyrics

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                              It’s been a while since I’ve contributed a significant post to the shippy threads, so I guess this thing has been building for a while. Technically it could be considered a rant, but I’ll be gracious and term it a soliloquy. As you read, you might think "duh" to some parts, but it was written with the non-shippy crowd in mind as well. Just FYI.

Spoiler:

In the wake of watching NCIS reruns on cable, I find myself gagging. Not because I dislike the quality of writing or because I feel the powers that be are looking for ratings rather than enjoyable realism, but rather because gagging is the only way I could swallow around the copious amounts of TIVA that’s been shoved down my throat.

For those of you not familiar with NCIS, TIVA is the prominent ship between characters Tony and Ziva, which the Powers That Be are trying to develop; a ship that is so laden with angst it’s already sinking.

Now before I get modded for being off topic (hats off to on-lock moderators, of course ), let me just mention that the idea of any ship being ruined for me is solely the result of having been exposed to Sam and Jack.

It’s been said before, and I’m sure it will continue to be said for many, many years that Sam and Jack are the ultimate ship. The One True Pair (or the OTP, for the ship-savvy), if you will. This is due to a number of reasons, many which will be familiar to most. Here are just a few:

-It’s subtle. A viewer can see as much ship as they want, and ignore the parts they want to overlook. So while some shippers can see two hearts yearning to be something more in a single look across the briefing room table, other non-shippers can see only a glance between coworkers, a familiarity borne of years of serving together.

-It’s sweet. Jack is a simple guy. He says so himself in the episode “Grace.” His feelings for Sam often emerge in little ways—a touch here, a quirked eyebrow there. And Sam responds with big, beaming smiles or a chiding “sir…” There’s really only one word for it: adorable.

-It’s persistent. They wait eight years to do anything. And that’s for those shippers who accept that they got married in a brief window of time between Seasons 8 and 9. It’s even longer for other shippers, who think they wouldn’t do anything until Sam gets back from Atlantis (another 3-4 years past Season 8) or even until Jack retires (who knows when that will be?). That’s a LONG time.

-It’s engaging. The characters are in and of themselves complete, unique personalities. They have depths and layers to their histories that influence their decisions and stories. They are individuals who are not compromised by their ship. That is, the ship does not make them who they are. They make the ship.

Consider this in comparison: In NCIS, Ziva joins the team in Season 3, and immediately becomes Tony's partner. There’s an instant attraction; let’s face it, they’re both attractive people, and they’re partners. In tee-vee land, they’re practically already married. By Episode 8 of Season 3 (“Under Covers”), they’re already having fake sex while on a mission (or was it fake??). Eight episodes. Eight. That’s all it takes. And in the years since it’s been Ziva being jealous of Tony’s secret girlfriend, and then Tony being jealous of Ziva’s boyfriend.

To be fair, Sam and Jack have also had their ups and downs. There’ve been confirmed relationships with other people in the eight years they tried to move past the feelings they felt for each other. But these trysts were relatively short-lived by comparison, and it never drove the plot arc for an entire season. And in between they never, ever let their jealousy or hurt compromise their ability to work together. At times, I wonder how Tony and Ziva even function in the field anymore.

In other shows, and not just NCIS, I’ve been faced with characters whose most defining attributes are the fact that they are involved with so-and-so. In a world of Tivas, Brangelinas, and Bennifers, couples become increasingly singular units that are no longer a sum of parts, but rather two people who become as smooshed together in people’s minds as their names.

I’m proud that Sam and Jack have not been subjected to such branding. Let’s face it—names like Sack or Jam just sound retarded anyway. But to me it also signifies that they remain distinct. Sam and Jack. As integral as things like peanut butter and jelly, black and white, or even butter and toast. They’re two separate entities, but they clearly belong together.

All of these elements combine into a single glowing ball of awesomeness. Sam and Jack. The OTP.

Thank you, SG-1, for giving me a ship to believe in.

End rant.

P.S. I don't dislike NCIS. But sometimes I do wish they'd take a page out of the SG-1 book in terms of execution.
                              I never really liked the idea of them getting together, although the tension between them in the beginning was nice. But lately those two characters have become caricatures of themselves, especially Ziva. It looks like she lost all her awesomeness and kickass skills at the same time she left Mossad. Now she's just another regular NCIS agent and the only thing that sets her apart is the fact that she gets her proverbs wrong every now and then.
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

just saw this vid on YT. It's dedicated to one of Selene's fics...I wonder if she has ever seen it...

Spoiler:
                                sigpic
                                My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Working...
                                X