Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    does anyone else ever react like this?...

you follow/watch another show, and a ship on that series is forwarded, and the actors on it endorse and talk it up and...

you feel envious and kind of blue for sam/jack?
    Yes and no. I mean I'd like to have known exactly how they got together but I am noy sure I would have liked how the writers would have played it out, especially given how S9 and 10 played out. (I don't hate those seasons, but I can tell the writing is different in them)

On the other hand, leaving it more open gives me the chance to make up my own version of how it all happened.

So its a fine line for me.

Comment

Originally posted by freckles2185 View Post
      Thank you for that information - all these years I didn't know what AWoL stood for, now i know!! (I knew it had something to do with being absent but didn't know the rest of it...) so thank you!!!
      AWOL is still widely accepted, but be advised that UA (Unauthorized Absence) is currently used by the USMC. I'm pretty sure it's a term that was recently adopted by all US Armed Forces though. But only quote me on the USMC facts.

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
        It might ruin the spunk factor, but to me it makes AT more human. I mean, I can't think of anyone who would be totally apathetic over fighting against something that's so prevalent in the entertainment industry. The over-sexing of women on TV is an epidemic, and for someone so unknown (at that point in time) to take such a solid stance against it... It was a HUGE risk, and it's so human to admit to crying from the stress and frustration of it all.

And I'm so glad it paid off.... for both AT and us fans of Sam Carter.

Not to mention, it was a huge sign of respect to us service women. To remain practical about the expectations of females in the armed forces is the greatest homage an actor could show to us. When we see chicks with the push up bras and low cut shirts, we have to ask "Is that really how you see us?"...

It was great to see that AT had the right mindset, and a good opinion of us women in the service.
        As being the only guy(am I) on this thread I can say that the way AT portrayed Sam made her way more sexy and attractive than any other women from other shows where they were shown as sexy companions to the main character. I am of course talking from my point of view, but that attraction for AT lasted way longer than for other show female. Like with other shows, you see some cute actress with sexy dress, and think, oh she's niiice, but that sexiness wears off very quickly and soon she becomes, meh, just another female actress. With Sam, for me personally I did not enjoy those couple of episodes when Sam was being portrayed as sexy woman(it only was one or two episodes/moments as far as I can remember from the top of my head). I remember when I 1st started watching the show several years back I was like 25 years old, and up to the season where she had this nicely done haircut, I had a major crush on her, though it did wear off, but attraction is still there, and she is ranked very high as an attractive woman in my book(not that I'm keeping score or anything ). Even though I stated in other thread that Vala is more sexy than Sam, but that is different sexy.
        I think that's why so many(maybe even all) of male stargate fans had a crush on Sam. You don't have to run around in bikini with some parts bouncing all over the place to be considered sexy Simplicity is the key And her geekiness Sometimes she used to be too geeky for my liking, but Jack would level it out. They were/are perfect together. Completing each other.
        I don't know if that made sense coming from male brain Sorry to interrupt this interesting active bickering from all of you here. Enjoy lurking these threads
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the answer, Pol and Nynaeve. I figured it was something like that, just wasn't entirely sure about the downtime-part because I couldn't find a real definition on it.

As for the same crying thing I mentioned, I don't think her being young is a good reason. She was over thirty already, after all. No one I know would cry in such a situation, but maybe that's because it's a different generation (and Americans/Canadians always are more expressive/emotional).
          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by muziqaz View Post
            As being the only guy(am I) on this thread I can say that the way AT portrayed Sam made her way more sexy and attractive than any other women from other shows where they were shown as sexy companions to the main character. I am of course talking from my point of view, but that attraction for AT lasted way longer than for other show female. Like with other shows, you see some cute actress with sexy dress, and think, oh she's niiice, but that sexiness wears off very quickly and soon she becomes, meh, just another female actress. With Sam, for me personally I did not enjoy those couple of episodes when Sam was being portrayed as sexy woman(it only was one or two episodes/moments as far as I can remember from the top of my head). I remember when I 1st started watching the show several years back I was like 25 years old, and up to the season where she had this nicely done haircut, I had a major crush on her, though it did wear off, but attraction is still there, and she is ranked very high as an attractive woman in my book(not that I'm keeping score or anything ). Even though I stated in other thread that Vala is more sexy than Sam, but that is different sexy.
            I think that's why so many(maybe even all) of male stargate fans had a crush on Sam. You don't have to run around in bikini with some parts bouncing all over the place to be considered sexy Simplicity is the key And her geekiness Sometimes she used to be too geeky for my liking, but Jack would level it out. They were/are perfect together. Completing each other.
            I don't know if that made sense coming from male brain Sorry to interrupt this interesting active bickering from all of you here. Enjoy lurking these threads
            I CONCUR!!!

Hmm... I think I like you. *tries to figure out reputation points*

Comment

Sexiness is SO misunderstood in today's society. That's why these young singers/actresses/models all think that they have to show everything they have in order to "push the envelope" or whatever to get attention. Sexiness is really the implication or the promise of something, rather than the blatant showing of it. Like the ankles in Victorian society, or the back of the neck for Geishas (Or Jack's abs in "Hathor" ) These parts of the body were rarely seen and therefore all the more seductive. Sam is all the more sexy because she doesn't hardly show anything. Even her infamous blue dress hinted at her assets, rather than showing them off. I actually found that red dress that Sam wore on her date with Pete to be the least favorite thing I'd ever seen her wear. I didn't like it--it looked like she was trying too hard. Sam was about the whole package, and not just a few "cupfuls". Sam is sexy because of WHO she is, and not what she's showing.
              sigpic
              My Stories: FFdotNet
              My Stories AO3
              Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

As being the only guy(am I) on this thread ....
                You're in a small group, but yes, there are other guys on this thread. You're far outnumbered by us women, but we're happy you're here.

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                  Sexiness is SO misunderstood in today's society. That's why these young singers/actresses/models all think that they have to show everything they have in order to "push the envelope" or whatever to get attention. Sexiness is really the implication or the promise of something, rather than the blatant showing of it. Like the ankles in Victorian society, or the back of the neck for Geishas (Or Jack's abs in "Hathor" ) These parts of the body were rarely seen and therefore all the more seductive. Sam is all the more sexy because she doesn't hardly show anything. Even her infamous blue dress hinted at her assets, rather than showing them off. I actually found that red dress that Sam wore on her date with Pete to be the least favorite thing I'd ever seen her wear. I didn't like it--it looked like she was trying too hard. Sam was about the whole package, and not just a few "cupfuls". Sam is sexy because of WHO she is, and not what she's showing.
                  I agree! I mean, so often nowadays it's all "look at me, I have boobs, now I'm a sex symbol!"... It's sickening. I laugh because those women try so hard to have the following that Sam has, and Sam got hers without even trying. She was just "I may be a girl, but it doesn't define me. I know my stuff, and I'm a capable officer to boot. Now let me do my job..." Now if only everyone else could do the same!

TAKE NOTES TPTB!!! THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE!!!

Comment

you follow/watch another show, and a ship on that series is forwarded, and the actors on it endorse and talk it up and...

All the time, but not only for sam/jack there are tons of other parings that were not done right
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Hey family.

Originally posted by fems View Post
                      The Sam/Teal'c ones creep me out. I honestly don't think Sam would do that, especially not if she was (finally) together with Jack. Not even if she's marooned on a space ship. Although it does go with the older guys-thing she has going.
                      Well Teal'c was definitely.... older

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                      I watched a video of that panel. I believe what she said was the obvious choice was Jack, the less obvious choice would be Teal'c, . . . so Jack. I also remember her saying something like she would have loved to play those beats between her and Jack.

You and me both, Amanda!

(And all the shippers say Amen.)
                      AMEN!!

Originally posted by fems View Post
                      Yeah, good for her. Just too bad she started crying about it too, kind of ruins the spunk factor!
                      It might ruin the spunk factor, but to me it makes AT more human. I mean, I can't think of anyone who would be totally apathetic over fighting against something that's so prevalent in the entertainment industry. The over-sexing of women on TV is an epidemic, and for someone so unknown (at that point in time) to take such a solid stance against it... It was a HUGE risk, and it's so human to admit to crying from the stress and frustration of it all.

And I'm so glad it paid off.... for both AT and us fans of Sam Carter.

Not to mention, it was a huge sign of respect to us service women. To remain practical about the expectations of females in the armed forces is the greatest homage an actor could show to us. When we see chicks with the push up bras and low cut shirts, we have to ask "Is that really how you see us?"...

It was great to see that AT had the right mindset, and a good opinion of us women in the service.
                      Crying when?

Ok someone has to tell me where to find this clip *looks around for someone to enlighten me*

I can say Amen to that too.

Well said. Come often.

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                      Indeed.

Ok I know I'm going to be in the minority here but I actually agree with Amanda on the less obvious choice being Teal'c. Don't get me wrong, Sam and Jack are made for each other, but if we're talking about being on a ship, living your life for 50 years away from that person, trust me. There is going to come a point when you're going to give up on ever getting back and at that point you have to release yourself from it and move on.

That being said I can see Sam and Teal'c who had mutual love and respect for each other after years of working and getting to know each other, turning to each other in that situation. I agree that they would both have issues to deal with before it actually happened. But, and this is just me, I can see Sam being there for Teal'c and vice versa.

I confess I did write one fic that I haven't posted yet on ff but, considering what happened then, I can understand the thinking.

Having said all of that just to make sure I don't lose my Captain status,

...... Sam and Jack ........ Always.
                      sigpic
                      sig by Mada
                      As a matter of FIC

Comment

Originally posted by trinity3 View Post

Crying when?

Ok someone has to tell me where to find this clip *looks around for someone to enlighten me*
                        It was said in the Supergate panel at the 2011 Dragon*Con. The majority of it is posted on sam1helen's channel on youtube. Here's a link to the first part: http://www.youtube.com/user/sam1Hele.../5/dDSd-REAtoY

I highly recommend you watch the whole thing, cuz they're all such goofballs. I was there, I know first hand And besides that, I'm not sure when the comment happens exactly. So you can browse if you like.

All props to sam1helen! The videos are all hers.

Comment

Originally posted by trinity3 View Post

Crying when?

I think this is in reference to Amanda crying in Season 1 when the writers/producers tried to make her wear some sort of skimpy outfit showing off her "assets" because they wanted her to look very sexy or like a barbie doll or some such thing, and she was so upset and frustrated over that (since she absolutely refuses to do such things) that she pretty much told them they could fire her before she would do that, and there were tears on her part about the whole thing. The producers/writers backed down. I don't remember for sure, but I think it had to do with "Broca Divide" and that "sweet little tank top number". She wound up wearing that, but they wanted her to wear something even more provocative. Apparently she burst into tears when the wardrobe lady showed it to her and there was a rather big blow up over the subject.

I think she talks about it at a con and it might be in some of the behind-the-scenes stuff; not sure I remember it all correctly, but that's the gist of it. And since Amanda was about 32 at the time (and not just a young starlet starting out), some think it was less than professional of her to wind up in tears, and others think it just shows her being human enough to do that.

Comment

It was said in the Supergate panel at the 2011 Dragon*Con. The majority of it is posted on sam1helen's channel on youtube. Here's a link to the first part: http://www.youtube.com/user/sam1Hele.../5/dDSd-REAtoY

I highly recommend you watch the whole thing, cuz they're all such goofballs. I was there, I know first hand And besides that, I'm not sure when the comment happens exactly. So you can browse if you like.

All props to sam1helen! The videos are all hers.
                            **runs and hugs selene **

Thank you.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                            I think this is in reference to Amanda crying in Season 1 when the writers/producers tried to make her wear some sort of skimpy outfit showing off her "assets" because they wanted her to look very sexy or like a barbie doll or some such thing, and she was so upset and frustrated over that (since she absolutely refuses to do such things) that she pretty much told them they could fire her before she would do that, and there were tears on her part about the whole thing. The producers/writers backed down. I don't remember for sure, but I think it had to do with "Broca Divide" and that "sweet little tank top number". She wound up wearing that, but they wanted her to wear something even more provocative. Apparently she burst into tears when the wardrobe lady showed it to her and there was a rather big blow up over the subject.

I think she talks about it at a con and it might be in some of the behind-the-scenes stuff; not sure I remember it all correctly, but that's the gist of it. And since Amanda was about 32 at the time (and not just a young starlet starting out), some think it was less than professional of her to wind up in tears, and others think it just shows her being human enough to do that.
                            I really appreciate that she did that. Don't know why commitment to her husband comes to mind, but as you say she wasn't young and impressionable at that point. Perhaps that fact that she really wanted to stay with the show but knew she was risking it to hold her standard, which I can see her doing.

Hey I've broken out into tears when I've least expected it on at least two occasions.

So.... we know when Amanda unexpectedly cried, when do you think Sam did?
                            sigpic
                            sig by Mada
                            As a matter of FIC

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post

god forbid she act like a normal human being. (((amanda)))
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

It was on...Showtime? before. And as a Dexter fan, I'll say that yes, they have the tendency to get their pretty starlets to take off their shirts. It's sad actually. Evangeline Lily (of Lost fame) has burst into tears (she did a photoshoot that afterward she felt very poorly about) - and she too refused to go skimpy in one scene that they wanted her to be nude in.

Comment

Working...
                                X