Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
    I'm guessing she had been drinking too and her own lowered inhibitions allowed her to ask a question that had been eating at her for a while. JMHO.
    She may have been drinking some and it may have lowered her inhibitions enough to give her the courage to make her move, but it was Jack and that villager who were knocking back the moonshine.

I also have to agree with Kate that Jack's reactions to Laira's offer does seem a bit off. It does remind me a little of Kynthia.

I don't think Laira was evil or coniving. And I do think she honestly believed she was helping Jack past his grief and showing him that he could have a good life. But perhaps she was slightly more selfish and calculating than my original assessment. I mean she certainly saw an improvement in her life with a strong, capable (yummy) man in her life. And I can understand why she would want to hold on to him and be reluctant to give him up.

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
      But she'd sent her son away. It was premeditated.
      It was only premeditated that she wanted to sleep with Jack. I sensed that the fact that she asked the question about a baby was a surprise to her. And I'd send my son away too.
      sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

It was only premeditated that she wanted to sleep with Jack. I sensed that the fact that she asked the question about a baby was a surprise to her. And I'd send my son away too.
        I never thought the question about a baby was a surprise to Laira. I think she'd been toying with the idea ever since she first said she wanted something from him when they were out walking, and then she said something about asking again when the time was right ... or however she worded it. And when she pretty much said "never mind", he basically told her not to play games and just tell him what she wanted. And when she still didn't, he asked her to "help him out" (with understanding), and so she kissed him and he kissed her back. That was apparently a week or more before that night, since she started out by asking him if he remembered when she had said there was something she wanted from him. And when he nodded, she said she wanted him to give her a baby.

I hadn't thought about her sending Garen away so she and Jack could be alone, but that kinda makes sense now that I think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          I never thought the question about a baby was a surprise to Laira. I think she'd been toying with the idea ever since she first said she wanted something from him when they were out walking, and then she said something about asking again when the time was right ... or however she worded it. And when she pretty much said "never mind", he basically told her not to play games and just tell him what she wanted. And when she still didn't, he asked her to "help him out" (with understanding), and so she kissed him and he kissed her back. That was apparently a week or more before that night, since she started out by asking him if he remembered when she had said there was something she wanted from him. And when he nodded, she said she wanted him to give her a baby.

I hadn't thought about her sending Garen away so she and Jack could be alone, but that kinda makes sense now that I think about it.
          Of course she'd send her son away. It seems that the village had social mores that were like those of the nineteenth century Western civilizations. For all intents and purposes, that's what the buildings, and their manners were intending to portray. Granted, they might have been slightly more liberal in their interpretation of those mores (even in rural America in this time, they practiced "bundling" and the like), but the rest of the script reads like something out of "Witness".

They were an agrarian society, where children and posterity equaled the survival of the village. If people had tiny little families, then they couldn't farm enough or work enough to subsist. That's why it was so vital for them that Jack work with them--they needed every able bodied person to work so that they could set aside enough food for the winter. Laira only had one child (whether due to fertility issues, or due to the early death of her husband, that's never explained). She was young, however, and something of a leader in her society, and I would imagine that she would have felt pressured to add to their number--especially given that most of their population was lost due to the meteor shower. She'd been a widow for long enough that she could have been married to someone else, had there been someone else for her to choose. But since there was not, apparently, Jack, as a single man, would have been a likely target--I mean, choice--for her. Since she didn't understand the capabilities of his people--or Sam's desperation to get him back--she couldn't have known that the situation wasn't permanent.

So, she made a conscious choice to make a play for him. I truly can't fault her for that. But she didn't ask him for love, she didn't ask him to stay with her and care for her and make a family. She asked him for a child. And whether her motivations were mercenary--that he was available and presumably didn't have "problems" in that area--or whether her reasons were more deep (in that she hoped that by having his child she would then choose to stay with her and offer her some company and support in their difficult lifestyle)--I still think that she was a little presumptuous.

And Garen would have figured it out eventually, I think--if Jack had stayed, then they would have "been" together all the time.

And Garen wasn't a fool, either. Why do we REALLY think he was exploring the caves with the girl?
          sigpic
          My Stories: FFdotNet
          My Stories AO3
          Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post

I had mentioned in my earlier post that I thought that she had been thinking about the baby for a while, but needed some lowered inhibitions to ask for it. I think she was probably surprised that the question popped out when it did, the way it did.
            sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Originally posted by Kate1013 View Post
              2) I just watched 100 days again and although I don't have a big problem with Laira, I do with something else. Okay so I understand why Jack acted like he did when stuck on Edora, trying to move on as he didn't feel he had any choice. And Laira was nice and sweet and cared for him. But what I don't understand was how he didn't really react to her statement about him providing her with a child.

He was always very private about what happened with Charlie and his whole non-reaction (or if you must insist, his reaction of kissing her) seemed out of character to me. I kind of understand him not wanting to discuss it in the sense that with him actions always speak louder than words, but he didn't even flinch or seem surprised by her request. And the fact that his response was to kiss her, does that mean he wanted to give her a child?

The ultra shippy part of me would always like to think that Sam and Jack would end up happily ever after married with 2.4 kids, despite the fact that I know this is totally unrealistic. But I always imgained that if S&J were to have this discussion, it would always be something delicate, heartfelt and difficult.

Yet with Laira it appeared so easy? When his feelings for Sam are so much deeper? Thoughts? Maybe others can word this more delicatley?

Hope this makes sense.... shouldn't accept wine with my business lunches anymore...
              Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
              You're barking up the wrong shipper with this question and me! I don't like Laira. At all. I think she was officious and bossy. I know that other people think that she was helping Jack accept his newfound situation, but I don't--I think that she couldn't have been happier how things worked out for her with the 'Gate being destroyed and Jack stuck there with her. I don't think she was evil, but I do think that she had her own agenda (I know, I know, who doesn't?). I think it was the fact that she even considered NOT telling him that she heard sounds coming from his radio. It shows a distinct lack of honesty to me. I know I'm in the minority, here, for what it's worth.

About Jack and his relationship with her. I think he was pragmatic about it. I think he realized that there was chemistry there between them (as much as it pains me to say that) and that if he were going to be stuck there, he'd better go about the business of settling his own life into some sort of routine. I think he could have grown to love her--had he stayed, had Sam not figured out how to save him, had she actually become pregnant (which I don't think she did, because he wouldn't have left his child behind). But I think he was still grieving his own lost life--look how long it took him to find joy in something after Charlie died--this is not a man who is able to turn his back on everything he knows easily. And Laira made it so easy for him to be useful, and to feel needed; and sometimes that's enough to make someone think that they're beyond the grief.

So, I'm not sure where his heart was. I think he was attracted to her, I think he was aware that she wanted him, but I don't think that he loved her. I think he could have, and so his reticence in those moments might have been his attempt at trying to move on while still guarding a little hope, a little bit of his past to himself. After all, Laira was gung-ho to get rid of it all.

And I can't even imagine Sam's hurt with seeing him again--with Laira. I haven't been able to attempt writing that one yet. But were it Sam left behind? Sam being asked to start a new life with a new man. . .I'm not sure what she would have done.

I'm not sure if this answers the question, but it sure is a topic that has a bajillion opinions attached to it.

I love 100 Days because I love angst..but I hate Laira. I totally agree with Akamaimom in regards to Laira. I think she was conniving and manipulative.

It seemed as though the population of men living in the village, who were attractive and in the right age range was somewhat limited. So when this masculine, powerful, funny, very handsome man arrives she turns the charm up to full blast. That is evident in the first scene. I think Jack is definitely attracted to her and all the attention he is getting, but that is the total extent of it. That is where it should have ended.

But skip ahead to weeks after the gate fell. He is alone and lonely. He misses Sam, Daniel, Teal'c, his work, favorite food, sports, etc., with no real hope of getting any of it back. But Laira has been there, from day one, as his friend, his helper, his support and a sort of tether to a real, but different, life.

I think Jack was suffering from "Romantic Stockholm Syndrome". He was, due to Mother Nature, nothing more than a prisoner on this planet. And Laira was the person who watched over him. He had to be so mentally screwed by the loss of his entire life, and the person he had true feelings for, that he grasped on to the illusion Laira was offering.
              Without a doubt, Laira took full advantage of the situation. She wanted to wait until the right time to spring her baby idea, and that time was when he was vulnerable, drunk and pretty much resigned to the fact his old life was gone. If you notice, when she tried to discuss it with him before, she must have realized from his tone that it was not the right time. I think she feared he would turn her down so she dropped it, hoping that in time, she could soften him up a bit more.

If the situation was different and Laira was trapped on Earth, it would have been a harmless flirtation that ended quickly. Instead he was sort of "brainwashed" by the deprivation of his old life, and Laira's offer of a happy, new one.

I think that when he got back home, he realized that his life on Edora was nothing more than marking time.

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
              The big box set of SG1 has all kinds of packaging and damaged DVD problems. I wouldn't waste the money.
              I got the boxed set late last year and had no problems. It was darkish gold with the gate that bumps out.
              Although, I did notice that on Amazon they are now warning people to be careful when you remove them from their pockets. It seems if you push then slide them up, the back of it can get scratched on the front of the DVD in the pocket above. Sounds like poorly designed packaging.
              [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Comment

If the man was Jack, I would pack my kid's bags and tell him there is a nice house down the street with only minimal meteor damage and check back with me in a year to let me know you're OK.
                Last edited by cdm; 03 November 2010, 11:35 PM.
                [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Comment

OT but Stargate related:
                  Spoiler:
                  Just found a fanvid that gave me a really good chuckle.

Stargate SG-1: The Movie
                  sigpic
                  The Return of King Arthur
                  Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                  acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
                    OT but Stargate related:
                    Spoiler:

That's two minutes of AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!

And I noticed that the SHIP is an integral part. As it should be.
                    sigpic
                    My Stories AO3

Comment

OT but Stargate related:
                      Spoiler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R1AL...eature=related
                      Love it! That would totally hook me on Stargate, if I weren't already over the deep end.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                        Love it! That would totally hook me on Stargate, if I weren't already over the deep end.
                        There's a deep end? I thought there was only one depth, a bottomless abyss.
                        No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                        It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                          There's a deep end? I thought there was only one depth, a bottomless abyss.
                          Yes, a bottomless abyss where we all like to splash and play. WheeEEeeeEEeeeEEee!
                          sigpic
                          My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                            The studios are looking at specific content delivering initiatives. But how close they are to rolling one out, and how many of them are onboard with the initiative, remains to be seen. I can't speak in any detail about what my employeer is doing, which unfortunately, has nothing to do with Stargate, but it is making huge strides in initiatives that will deliver huge volumes of content electronically.

People don't want to wait for a dvd. They want instant accessibility and gratification.

Once MGM figures out how to deliver its content electronically and make a profit doing it, we'll see the movies.
                            I'm one of those few people that does not like downloads because there are no extras but for Stargate I would not mind

OT but Stargate related:
                            Spoiler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R1AL...eature=related
                            I never get tired of watching that vid
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

That video is awesome!
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

that trailer is absolutely hilarious! awsome!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X