X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
    Totally made it up!
    Spoiler:
    It's actually probably MORE canon that Sam moved very often (I posted this in more detail on the Discussion thread). Her father being a military officer (and I have first hand experience, my dad didn't retire until I was in college), they would have moved almost every three years like clockwork. It's incredibly rare that they stayed in one place, especially given that he wanted to advance his career. There are just only so many places a high ranking officer can go, that's one of the reasons my dad retired as a Lt. Colonel - he didn't want to move again (I think they were talking DC at the time).

Now, I've moved a lot (from birth to 18: Mississippi (Keesler), Germany (Rhein-Main), Australia (Richmond NSW RAAF, don't know the name), South Carolina (Shaw), Nevada (Nellis), Arkansas (Little Rock) - then I went off to college at 17, moved to Florida after graduation, and then to Minnesota in 2005. Between college and now, I've moved apartments about every year and a half.

I've stopped being able to refer to places as "old" "other" or "second" LOL.

When I tell a story, I generally tell it as such (and this is a real story) "When my sister and I were little we used to collect pecans that fell from the tree in our neighbor's backyard and crack them under our heel and eat them." Or "Our neighbor had a gum tree and this kookaburra would start laughing at o'dark early." Unless further clarification is needed, I just tell the story...you'd never know it wasn't one place my whole life (until, obviously, you noticed I didn't have an accent).

I've been dealing with the whole "Third Culture Kid" aspect of my life recently so I've given this a lot of thought. And I realize that's why I was drawn to Sam's character. So rarely is anyone *like* me. I tend to be the oddball in the group. Which is why I hang out online so much

Shannon's post spoilered for length only. Huh. I was a Navy brat, so Bremerton (WA), Pensacola, somewhere in Texas (I was too young to remember), back to Bremerton, then the folks divorced so it was WI from then on. You do, however, seem to have lived in some of the places I was stationed (Rhein-Main, Keesler,) to name just two of many. Small world.

I'm assuming Sam had the transient childhood while Jack had the stationary one. Odd, huh?

And...JANN!!! Yay.
    Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

At all the people moving so much...I just moved...once in my life. Two months ago to be exact. (aka I now live in the USA)

I do have a few friends in here now who are army brats(well one army, one USAF) and it's weird to hear that they moved so much already.

It's good to be back.

Btw...as much as I love S/J in the series, you know that how more you watch the show...the funnier Teal'c is

And S/J...meant to be. *happy sigh*
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Seahen View Post
        Shoot, a lot of times even sooner than that. At the end of my fifth year, I was starting my 4th assignment. Whiteman AFB, Missouri (2 years), Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio (1.5 years), Osan AB, Korea (1 year), McChord AFB, Washington (3 years).

There are some weird career fields that make it possible to have longer assignments, but Jacob's a pilot. He wears pilot wings and no other career field badge so I would assume he spent his career on the typical pilot track-your father's career being a very good representation of that. LOL, in fact, I admire your father. I didn't make it 8 years before I got tired of moving all the time!
        Whiteman! I had a friend stationed at Whiteman that I used to visit (I'd drive it from Conway, AR). Middle of freaking nowhere Missouri LOL. My dad's career was 28 years total (I was born somewhere in the first third) - so imagining Jacob's career that he made it to General, I can't imagine that she didn't live in A LOT of places. I posted on the Discussion thread as to how I think this plays into her inability to be close and her need to "conform to a system" and be a workaholic. She is the quintessential Third Culture Kid (I actually almost joined up because I didn't know what else to do...ended up married and I still sometimes look at the military uniform a little wisfully...)

Originally posted by Pol View Post

Shannon's post spoilered for length only. Huh. I was a Navy brat, so Bremerton (WA), Pensacola, somewhere in Texas (I was too young to remember), back to Bremerton, then the folks divorced so it was WI from then on. You do, however, seem to have lived in some of the places I was stationed (Rhein-Main, Keesler,) to name just two of many. Small world.

I'm assuming Sam had the transient childhood while Jack had the stationary one. Odd, huh?

And...JANN!!! Yay.
        AFB OT
        Spoiler:
        I was born in 1982 at Keesler and then we moved to Rhein-Main in 1985 to '89. Dad flew black ops C-130 missions and we were there when the Berlin wall fell. He flew Desert Storm with RAAF and our stint at Nellis (1996-98) was for him to work on the Predator program when it was first starting out. Then he was the DO at Little Rock before he retired. Now he's the chief instructor pilot for the C-130 J-models so he still works on base (and still works 12 hours days...)

The military IS a small world. My parents ran into the same people over and over again. One of my college roommates, and still good friend, and I were both born at Keesler, then our parents were stationed at Little Rock, but we didn't meet until college. Family friends in Australia ended up in Little Rock as well (a kid I played with when he was 2 was then 15!)

It explains Sam and Jack so much doesn't it? The way they are Sam and her insecurities because she moved too much to learn to get close to anyone. Jack and his wanting to quietly fish. And why they fit so well together. He's willing to support her as she is, as she tries to figure out who she is. Then she learns to fish and everything's okay.

Of course it took her til she was almost forty. That gives me a good ten years to figure myself out...

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          I'm curious to know if by "CPR" you mean mouth-to-mouth or chest compressions or electric shock with the paddles?
          I was kinda hoping for a S/J mouth-to-mouth CPR that I was blissfully unaware of because ... well because TPTW were mean and hid it from everybody. Now I'm upset ...

Originally posted by starlover View Post
          It's awesome

Stare away...*drools*
          Tongues colliding. Harshly. Trying to get closer....*dwells off*

*fans self*
          Ya -- huh ??? *drools*

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
          Just for that, you get a rec:

Bicycles After Dinner

And BLESS YOU, starlover, for posting the Grace kiss. I needed that today! (((hugs)))!
          Will read soon and another thanks for the "Grace" kiss!!! We ALL needed that today!

So I watched "Smoke and Mirrors" this afternoon. The fic bunnies didn't even need to wake up, I came up with a fic idea all by myself! I'll try to post tomorrow, along with two Sparky fics I need to update and an SGA post-EatG ... I shoulda just stayed a hermit ... Too much work to do!

Night!

Comment

season premier of 'house' spoilers -

(it does relate to s/j, but the 'house' spoilers are huge, so proceed at your own risk)

Spoiler:
            house and cuddy got together! well, in last seasons finale they did, but in this new ep, they had sex and talked and had sex and talked and repeat!

while i'd never want the 'issues' house and cuddy have onto sam/jack, i DID love that they actually GOT TOGETHER, and that we SAW it! no 'close enough', but actual words and scenes and...

while i adore house/cuddy, i LOOOOOOOOVE sam/jack and soooooooooooooooo want this for them! it's somewhat hard for me to watch house/cuddy now b/c of how jealous i am that they didn't do that with s/j...

maybe the 3rd movie will give me what i've been craving with s/j for years. *years*.

~hopes~

~super hopes~

sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
              It is! I didn't realize I missed it till I'm squeeing all over it again. (watching it again with roomies and friend now!) Roomie even suggested watching the SGU finale later this week before the new season starts!
              Yes, you should. It is awesome!!

I have stopped my rewatch for now since I'm working on a vid for another fandom but I plan to return to the shippy goodness soon

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
              season premier of 'house' spoilers -

(it does relate to s/j, but the 'house' spoilers are huge, so proceed at your own risk)

Spoiler:
              house and cuddy got together! well, in last seasons finale they did, but in this new ep, they had sex and talked and had sex and talked and repeat!

while i'd never want the 'issues' house and cuddy have onto sam/jack, i DID love that they actually GOT TOGETHER, and that we SAW it! no 'close enough', but actual words and scenes and...

while i adore house/cuddy, i LOOOOOOOOVE sam/jack and soooooooooooooooo want this for them! it's somewhat hard for me to watch house/cuddy now b/c of how jealous i am that they didn't do that with s/j...

maybe the 3rd movie will give me what i've been craving with s/j for years. *years*.

~hopes~

~super hopes~

Spoiler:
              I don't watch House anymore.

I haven't since season 3 and I'm not a House/Cuddy, Huddy shipper (I'm a Hameron aka House/Cameron shipper) but I always find myself feeling like we are getting cheated.

I hope we get some cool scenes like Huddy has *stays hopeful*
              sigpic
              Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

I've got nothing to add to the "Where did you get stationed" list except to mention that I lived most of my young life near Hickam AFB. The soldiers were always really good looking fun to be with, and cool. And one saved my life at the beach once. There's a bay called Hanauma Bay on the south shore of O'ahu. If you walk around the far edge, you get to a wickedly fun little tide pool called "Toilet Bowl". IF you're a really strong swimmer, you get in and wait for the tide to crest. The water swirls around inside the bowl like a toilet (hence the name) and then "flushes" out to sea. When the water is at its peak, you have to get out--which is where the strong swimmer part comes in. I'd been swimming all day, and was pretty tired, but my friends wanted to go, so I tagged along. On a dare, because I'm stupid enough to take dares, I hopped down into the toilet bowl. There were around twenty people standing around watching as the water came in. It was a huge wave, and the water swirled around, and it was fun until I realized that I couldn't make it out. Just as I was starting to get sucked out to sea, a huge Air Force officer reached down and grabbed the neck of my t shirt and pulled me out. He plunked me down on the rocks and pointed his finger at me and chastised, "Missy, don't jump in unless you know you can jump out." And then he got up and walked away.

I never got the opportunity to thank him, but I've loved the Air Force ever since.

And soldiers were the funnest to play Freeway Tag with on a boring Saturday afternoon. They always had the fastest cars, and were great drivers. Much more fun than the local boys.

Good times!
                sigpic
                My Stories: FFdotNet
                My Stories AO3
                Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
                  Whiteman! I had a friend stationed at Whiteman that I used to visit (I'd drive it from Conway, AR). Middle of freaking nowhere Missouri LOL. My dad's career was 28 years total (I was born somewhere in the first third) - so imagining Jacob's career that he made it to General, I can't imagine that she didn't live in A LOT of places. I posted on the Discussion thread as to how I think this plays into her inability to be close and her need to "conform to a system" and be a workaholic. She is the quintessential Third Culture Kid (I actually almost joined up because I didn't know what else to do...ended up married and I still sometimes look at the military uniform a little wisfully...)

AFB OT
                  Spoiler:
                  I was born in 1982 at Keesler and then we moved to Rhein-Main in 1985 to '89. Dad flew black ops C-130 missions and we were there when the Berlin wall fell. He flew Desert Storm with RAAF and our stint at Nellis (1996-98) was for him to work on the Predator program when it was first starting out. Then he was the DO at Little Rock before he retired. Now he's the chief instructor pilot for the C-130 J-models so he still works on base (and still works 12 hours days...)

The military IS a small world. My parents ran into the same people over and over again. One of my college roommates, and still good friend, and I were both born at Keesler, then our parents were stationed at Little Rock, but we didn't meet until college. Family friends in Australia ended up in Little Rock as well (a kid I played with when he was 2 was then 15!)

It explains Sam and Jack so much doesn't it? The way they are Sam and her insecurities because she moved too much to learn to get close to anyone. Jack and his wanting to quietly fish. And why they fit so well together. He's willing to support her as she is, as she tries to figure out who she is. Then she learns to fish and everything's okay.

Of course it took her til she was almost forty. That gives me a good ten years to figure myself out...
                  I'm the exact opposite. Lived in the same house from 6 months to 24 years when I left for OTS. One of the reasons I joined was to see the world. I just didn't know they'd send me to the middle of nowhere Missouri! Bit of culture shock to go from basically Seattle to Knob Knoster, Missouri, but it did have it's charms.

Oh, and I've been to Rhein-Main! But only on a lay-over during deployments.

Comment

About to go to bed, but was just enjoying this screen cap and I thought I would share.

Anyone want to use this to tell me a bedtime story?

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                      About to go to bed, but was just enjoying this screen cap and I thought I would share.

Anyone want to use this to tell me a bedtime story?
                      Or write a little ficlet about Sam or Jack telling a bedtime story to....

barely Stargate related...

The Event

Spoiler:
                      Stargate interdimensional travel meets District 9 type aliens, anyone?

That's my theory.
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

I've got nothing to add to the "Where did you get stationed" list except to mention that I lived most of my young life near Hickam AFB. The soldiers were always really good looking fun to be with, and cool. And one saved my life at the beach once. There's a bay called Hanauma Bay on the south shore of O'ahu. If you walk around the far edge, you get to a wickedly fun little tide pool called "Toilet Bowl". IF you're a really strong swimmer, you get in and wait for the tide to crest. The water swirls around inside the bowl like a toilet (hence the name) and then "flushes" out to sea. When the water is at its peak, you have to get out--which is where the strong swimmer part comes in. I'd been swimming all day, and was pretty tired, but my friends wanted to go, so I tagged along. On a dare, because I'm stupid enough to take dares, I hopped down into the toilet bowl. There were around twenty people standing around watching as the water came in. It was a huge wave, and the water swirled around, and it was fun until I realized that I couldn't make it out. Just as I was starting to get sucked out to sea, a huge Air Force officer reached down and grabbed the neck of my t shirt and pulled me out. He plunked me down on the rocks and pointed his finger at me and chastised, "Missy, don't jump in unless you know you can jump out." And then he got up and walked away.

I never got the opportunity to thank him, but I've loved the Air Force ever since.

And soldiers were the funnest to play Freeway Tag with on a boring Saturday afternoon. They always had the fastest cars, and were great drivers. Much more fun than the local boys.

Good times!
                        OT:

Spoiler:
                        I've been there! I was around 14 or so, I jumped in and was having fun. If I remember right, there are three holes there connected by underwater tunnels, which all empty into the channel. Some other people were swimming between the holes so I tried when the wave went out, got stuck in the tunnel when the wave came back in, bonked my head, opened my eyes and... out flushed my contacts. Luckily, I wasn't quite as blind then as I am now so I could somewhat see for the rest of the day until we got back and I could put in a spare pair.

Comment

Originally posted by Seahen View Post
                          OT:

Spoiler:
                          I've been there! I was around 14 or so, I jumped in and was having fun. If I remember right, there are three holes there connected by underwater tunnels, which all empty into the channel. Some other people were swimming between the holes so I tried when the wave went out, got stuck in the tunnel when the wave came back in, bonked my head, opened my eyes and... out flushed my contacts. Luckily, I wasn't quite as blind then as I am now so I could somewhat see for the rest of the day until we got back and I could put in a spare pair.
                          Spoiler:
                          That's the place! I was around 10 or so. In WAY over my head! It's a great bay, though, isn't it? I love snorkeling there. You used to be able to feed the fish frozen peas, but now they have this fancy shmancy food you have to give them. I've seen sharks and squid and all kinds of cool things there. Manta rays, eels, and other things. Of course, on the other side of the island, MY side of the island, we had a catamaran that we would take out into Kahana or Makena Bay and swim with the sea turtles. Those big guys are awesome!
                          sigpic
                          My Stories AO3

Comment

Yeah, so I wasn't really that sleepy.

Come Clean

Missing S/J scenes from "Smoke and Mirrors".

G'night!

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                              Yeah, so I wasn't really that sleepy.

Come Clean

Missing S/J scenes from "Smoke and Mirrors".

G'night!
                              Read and reviewed. Thanks!

And the new and improved football drabble. . .Pass Interference
                              sigpic
                              My Stories AO3

Comment

Read and reviewed. Thanks!

And the new and improved football drabble. . .Pass Interference
                                Thanks!!! Read yours, goin back to review!

Comment

Working...
                                X