Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by resurgamlaura View Post
    (To shorten size of my post...)
    Thank you for taking the time and effort to create it. Definately one of his best moments (never has alien misunderstandings been so cute!).
    never has an alien been so cute...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mayogaelz View Post
      never has an alien been so cute...
      This is very true.

sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

New Jonas thread on the General Discussion. Honestly know why people bother-they've washed their hands of the character, a large proportion of the fandom is completely stuck in their opinion of him as 'Daniel clone' and if he is so much as mentioned in the apparent third series then even as an atheist I will believe that Hell exists-if only to have become frozen over. All that happens is that we get the same arguments for and against, none of which go anywhere, and in this case, people not understanding the situation and also not liking his personal convictions (I know he's still interested in Scientology, but a 'nut'? Come on, he's no fanatic, and Scientology is no more bonkers than most other religious groups )-which is irrelevant when he's not pushing them down people's throats a la certain other actors.
        *Sigh*
        Jonas as a character doesn't fit into seasons 8-10. All we can do is appreciate what we did get from him.

sigpic

Comment

Just stopping by to say 'Hi' before work today.

The library is closed today. *pouts* I've already read most of Morgania's book collection.
          sigpic
          Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Hi, Morgiana. Hope work isn't too bad
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Morgania View Post

The library is closed today. *pouts* I've already read most of Morgania's book collection.
              you can come over and read my books
              sigpic

Comment

I have this sudden image of him being taken as a treat to the British Library, and being terribly upset when they tell him that no, he's not allowed anywhere near their beautiful medieval manuscripts without prior permission.

Jonas and Daniel at the BL. Christ, it would become official literary geek HQ.
                sigpic

Comment

New Jonas thread on the General Discussion. Honestly know why people bother-they've washed their hands of the character, a large proportion of the fandom is completely stuck in their opinion of him as 'Daniel clone' and if he is so much as mentioned in the apparent third series then even as an atheist I will believe that Hell exists-if only to have become frozen over. All that happens is that we get the same arguments for and against, none of which go anywhere, and in this case, people not understanding the situation and also not liking his personal convictions (I know he's still interested in Scientology, but a 'nut'? Come on, he's no fanatic, and Scientology is no more bonkers than most other religious groups )-which is irrelevant when he's not pushing them down people's throats a la certain other actors.
                  *Sigh*
                  Jonas as a character doesn't fit into seasons 8-10. All we can do is appreciate what we did get from him.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...onasandbag.jpg
                  It's nice to see him remembered (better than a supposed voice-of-fandom site running a survey and missing him out completely ), but it's disappointing to see these threads always degenerating into the same thing every single time. And good grief, the Scientology thing, why does it matter?
                  I'm not religious, it all looks the same to me.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
                    It's nice to see him remembered (better than a supposed voice-of-fandom site running a survey and missing him out completely ), but it's disappointing to see these threads always degenerating into the same thing every single time. And good grief, the Scientology thing, why does it matter?

My opinion of scientology notwithstanding, isn't it supposed to be *Jonas* that they're talking about, not the actor who plays him? They're two different guys, and while Corin may be worldly and socially adept, Jonas is innocent, and naive. They're not interchangeable.
                    - Mary
                    SG1 needs it's Fifth Man - Why should we settle for less? Bring back Jonas Quinn!
                    Jack O'Neill would die for any member of his team. But there's only one he'd live for: Samantha Carter.

Comment

Hiya Buc!

Originally posted by Buc252 View Post
                      My opinion of scientology notwithstanding, isn't it supposed to be *Jonas* that they're talking about, not the actor who plays him? They're two different guys, and while Corin may be worldly and socially adept, Jonas is innocent, and naive. They're not interchangeable.
                      If a someone needs a reason to dislike a character then some things are apparently interchangeable.
                      If a someone needs a reason to pass the blame around then some things are apparently interchangeable.
                      It's amazing how it happens every single time though.

Comment

Originally posted by Buc252 View Post
                        The only time an actor is a problem is when they're a problem- when they try to push their own belief system onto the character or the show in general, when they think they're above everyone else, etc. And if that had been the case, they wouldn't have employed him in the first place.
                        My thoughts exactly The alien+volcano thing makes me giggle, but to me that's philosophy filtered through something both familiar and unknown (mythic)- like all ancient philosophy (Plato had some crazy allegories) and religion. It's only because we're so familiar with these stories and they are told to us as stories as children that we don't think people being swallowed by whales might be a little...silly. The only difference is that Scientology is just a little suspect in terms of its founder and founding and is also very, very expensive

My views on philosophy and religion can be a little forceful, so hopefully that's not too bad...

sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by smurf

I agree
                          It doesn't effect the way I look at his acting style, the roles he chooses or the way he looks. Which is not bad I can say even at my age.

ETA: I also made a post on that thread. Here's the link.
                          http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....7&postcount=11

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix View Post
                            I agree
                            It doesn't effect the way I look at his acting style, the roles he chooses or the way he looks. Which is not bad I can say even at my age.

ETA: I also made a post on that thread. Here's the link.
                            http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....7&postcount=11
                            Indeed.

And the obligatory bi-monthly (if we restrain ourselves, which isn't too often ) 'Mansquito' pic:

I suspect if a certain other major actor wasn't so annoyingly vocal, acted his age and played parts with variety and interest then people might not get so funny about the issue
                            sigpic

Comment

I saw your post, LaCroix. To the point and restrained. Which, thankfully, was the general mood of most of the posts. I dread to think what kind of bile appeared on other forums at the time. I've seen glimpses of it, here and there, and it's frankly a bit sad.
                              sigpic

Comment

The only time an actor is a problem is when they're a problem- when they try to push their own belief system onto the character or the show in general, when they think they're above everyone else, etc. And if that had been the case, they wouldn't have employed him in the first place.
                                I've seen a couple of posts previously saying they believed he did exactly that, and others saying they must have got rid of him once they found out he was a Scientologist.
                                The only difference is that Scientology is just a little suspect in terms of its founder and founding and is also very, very expensive
                                Not to defend Tom Cruise's favourite thing in life (maybe, possibly, alledgedly), but most religions are/or have been very expensive. They generally haven't got to their level of wealth by stunning business decisions or a fabulous run on the stock market.

Whales. Huge things. Big mouths. Eats tiny krill. Now that's silly.

Comment

Working...
                                X