Tok'ra Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skadi View Post
    When I was looking at pictures of symbiotes, I noticed that they seem to be able to retract their 4 long teeth (those used for burrowing into a host, I assume). Sometimes you only see the tip of them, and some times the full lenght. I think this makes a lot of sense, since 1) when outside a host they need to protect them against damage 2) when in a host they don't want the teeth in the hosts brain - if they are shook a little by an accident, they may damage the brain, and that is in no way an advantage for the symbiote either.

Also - they have smaller teeth along the jaw as well (placed like those we have, for instance). I guess this makes sense as well, as those growing up in lakes need teeth to chew their food!
    That's quite cool, when I think of it, Skadi. A lot like certain types of snake I wonder what their classification would be if they were indigenous to Earth? Reptilian, do you think, like alligators and crocodiles? Or something else?
    Sigs by the very gifted Luciana
    STARCON - For further information, please go to: aurorisentertainment

Comment

Originally posted by medusacascade View Post
      That's quite cool, when I think of it, Skadi. A lot like certain types of snake I wonder what their classification would be if they were indigenous to Earth? Reptilian, do you think, like alligators and crocodiles? Or something else?
      Maybe reptilian, or perhaps amphibian - they can't live long outside of water without a host or Jaffa, so probably their skin can't tolerate drying out. I suppose fish is also a possible classification, though except for the fins and living in water (which many amphibians and some reptiles do as well), they are not fish-like (well, they resemble eels somewhat, and they are fish).

They seem to be able to breathe both with gills or similar (Junior used those to get oxygen from the water for himself and Teal'c in one episode) and also breathe air, at least for shorter periods of time - like several species of fish can. It is not unusual to have both capabilities.

Aside from that, we know:

-they give birth to live offspring (not egg-laying)
      -they see well outside of water (there is one or two episodes, were we see the world from their eyes, and it is identical to what we see, colours and all)
      -they are able to hear/understand speech outside of a host (we have seen several symbiotes be shown hosts and asked about who they liked, and then answer that)
      -they are sentient, of course!
      -they are very long living (10000+ years)
      -they are very resilient
      -they are predators when living in lakes (and growing up in lakes, presumably) and parasitic when they get a chance

OK - plus a number of other things, but none of all that really tells us enough to be able to classify them. I'm guessing amphibian/reptilian.
      sigpic
      Smilies made by Roeskva (http://www.tokra.dk/smilies.html)

"Hear this. The days of the Goa'uld System Lords are numbered. Tell them that I died with hope. My death only feeds the fire that burns strong in the Tok'ra." (Jolinar, "In the Line of Duty")

Comment

I would guess amphibian/reptilian, too. We have far too much time on our hands, don't we?

Talking of too much time on my hands, this is one of the hats I've knitted for all us GateWorlders going to the Vancouver CreationCon. This is a little one for Burny's little boy, even though he won't be there. I knitted it as the prototype. Let me know what you think? Everyone? Please? *glory hound? Who? Me?

http://forum.gateworld.net/album.php...ictureid=12733

Comment

Link doesn't work?
          sigpic Avatar, and icons in sig by Luciana

Favorite love-dodecagon:
          (See http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=2238)
          Lantash/Jolinar/Martouf/Sam/Thor/Jack/Kanan/Tea'lc/Junior/Freya/Daniel/Anise

Comment

Originally posted by Snotr View Post
            Link doesn't work?
            There is a link that does work in the Jr/Martouf thunk thread
            sigpic

"Hear this. The days of the Goa'uld System Lords are numbered. Tell them that I died with hope. My death only feeds the fire that burns strong in the Tok'ra." (Jolinar, "In the Line of Duty")

Comment

This one works, nearly sure.
              Last edited by medusacascade; 10 February 2009, 05:45 AM. Reason: missed part of URL out

Comment

Or not!

Comment

Originally posted by medusacascade View Post
                  Or not!
                  It reports that the album is wrong - are you trying to link to your own album here on your gateworld account?
                  sigpic

Comment

In this episode, Upgrades, Anise/Freya says that the super-hero armbands will not work on Tok'ra and they learn it is because the armbands work by injecting a virus into the user's body, and the symbiote will kill this virus, presumably. This probably means that at least some of their healing power is instinctual, and they can't NOT heal. Or maybe they are so used to immediately killing virus and such that they do it without thinking?

In any case - when they know there is a virus in the armbands, maybe they can avoid killing that virus and be able to use them?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skadi View Post
                      It reports that the album is wrong - are you trying to link to your own album here on your gateworld account?
                      No, the other link mentioned is the link to my ImageShack account. Don't worry, I've got one of the adult hats back out, too, and will take photo of them side by side tonight so you can see how tiny the little one is *awww*. I'll get sorted in the end, don't worry! I just want to know what you think of the hats really. *craves approbation* Anyway, am going to open a PB account later tonight, so that'll make things easier

Comment

I saw the one in the Jr/Marty thred - looks sweet
                        sigpic
                        Sig made by the very talented Luciana.

Comment

Originally posted by RingThing View Post
                          I saw the one in the Jr/Marty thred - looks sweet
                          Thankies

Comment

A few Tok'ra pics - Jacob/Selmak and some unknowns

sigpic

Comment

Nice pics - I don't even remember these Tok'ra - but it's from the 'sticky needles wallpaper' period that the Tok'ra had in 4th season ->
                              sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Originally posted by Hathor_girl View Post
                                Nice pics - I don't even remember these Tok'ra - but it's from the 'sticky needles wallpaper' period that the Tok'ra had in 4th season ->
                                I'm with you- dont remember'em either. But yeah, sticky needles wallpaper is rite - their architect must have done bad acid
                                sigpic
                                Sig made by the very talented Luciana.

Comment

Working...
                                X