Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateWarrior
    Where the heck did everybody go?!
    Somewhere cool and/or air-conditioned, I hope.

But I’m here, in the depths of, oh, about the eleventh 30ºC day in a row, slick with sunblock and reeking of DEET, realising that summer is breathing down my neck – and it’s just sticky and disgusting enough to feel positively lecherous - which means S9 is seriously looming, south of the 49th, and I’m wondering how long my resolve to sit tight and wait for the episodes to start airing on this side of the border in September - and not treat myself to an ill-gotten sneak peek - will last.

Because I’m not sure what I’m looking forward to most for Daniel (and Michael) in S9.

The return to his explorer roots.

The broadening of the Ancients story (which has always been Daniel’s special stomping ground).

The deepening of his connection with Vala, because “she has never come across someone like Daniel before” (and it’s about time another character realised how special he is) and because Claudia rocks utterly (and I love that Michael will have such a firebrand to play off).

Spoiler:
    Leather pants and hospital gowns
    : The wardrobe mistress is my new best friend.

The chance to delve into his darker side
    Spoiler:
    through his encounter with Anubis’ DIY spawn.

The chance at a proper farewell between Daniel and Jack.

I mentioned the explorer thing, right?

The pairing of the uniquely gifted Michael Shanks with the uniquely gifted Ben Browder on a weekly basis.

The pairing of the singularly gorgeous Michael Shanks with the singularly gorgeous Ben Browder on a weekly basis. (Coherent thought may soon be a thing of the past.)

The possibility that the questions left hanging after ‘Reckoning’ and ‘Threads’ might actually be addressed, even answered.

Or seeing this realised on my screen: “The whole storyline revolves around Daniel Jackson and Michael Shanks truly has never been better. He has risen to the occasion. We've challenged him and he's come through with flying colours.” Brad Wright professed to being “amazed” at Michael’s work in the new episodes as well, and the thought of it is almost scary. I already think the English language is short on superlatives when I try to find words for that man.

Oh, and something about exploration and there possibly being more of it.

None of which is doing anything to cool this girl down, mind you. But at least I'm thinking good thoughts, while my higher faculties melt.

Tucker

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker Case
      Somewhere cool and/or air-conditioned, I hope.

But I’m here, in the depths of, oh, about the eleventh 30ºC day in a row, slick with sunblock and reeking of DEET, realising that summer is breathing down my neck – and it’s just sticky and disgusting enough to feel positively lecherous - which means S9 is seriously looming, south of the 49th, and I’m wondering how long my resolve to sit tight and wait for the episodes to start airing on this side of the border in September - and not treat myself to an ill-gotten sneak peek - will last.

Because I’m not sure what I’m looking forward to most for Daniel (and Michael) in S9.

The return to his explorer roots.

The broadening of the Ancients story (which has always been Daniel’s special stomping ground).

The deepening of his connection with Vala, because “she has never come across someone like Daniel before” (and it’s about time another character realised how special he is) and because Claudia rocks utterly (and I love that Michael will have such a firebrand to play off).

Spoiler:
      Leather pants and hospital gowns
      : The wardrobe mistress is my new best friend.

The chance to delve into his darker side
      Spoiler:
      through his encounter with Anubis’ DIY spawn.

The chance at a proper farewell between Daniel and Jack.

I mentioned the explorer thing, right?

The pairing of the uniquely gifted Michael Shanks with the uniquely gifted Ben Browder on a weekly basis.

The pairing of the singularly gorgeous Michael Shanks with the singularly gorgeous Ben Browder on a weekly basis. (Coherent thought may soon be a thing of the past.)

The possibility that the questions left hanging after ‘Reckoning’ and ‘Threads’ might actually be addressed, even answered.

Or seeing this realised on my screen: “The whole storyline revolves around Daniel Jackson and Michael Shanks truly has never been better. He has risen to the occasion. We've challenged him and he's come through with flying colours.” Brad Wright professed to being “amazed” at Michael’s work in the new episodes as well, and the thought of it is almost scary. I already think the English language is short on superlatives when I try to find words for that man.

Oh, and something about exploration and there possibly being more of it.

None of which is doing anything to cool this girl down, mind you. But at least I'm thinking good thoughts, while my higher faculties melt.

Tucker
      Hey Tucker are you CANADIAN? I don't know where you are but it has certainly not been that hot here on the East Coast. Currently it is 11 degrees/cloudy with a chance of showers this evening. Doesn't it suck that we have to wait until the fall for S9. SPACE will have the rights to air S9 as of July. I don't understand their logic in waiting until the fall to air it. I am definitely not going to wait until then to see what S9 has in store for our lovely Dannyboy. Any suggestions you have in this regard would be appreciated.

To get back on topic.

I agree with you. I am looking forward to seeing them get back to some good old exploring. To see Daniel use that lovely brain of his. As nice as it is to see ACTION JACKSON (those muscles are too die for ) that is not what I love about him. It is his sense of wonder, his never ending faith in the goodness of people, his compassion, his intellect, and his determination. No matter what he has been thru, he still get back up to fight another day.

It will be sad to see Jack go. I do hope that we will get a nice farewell scene between Jack and Daniel. I mean your best friend is moving away. You will not be seeing him day in and day out. TPTB have to acknowledge that.

What I am really looking forward to in S9 is how Daniel reacts to Ben Browder's character. Daniel will have a new Colonel to break in.
      sigpic
      Sig by the Multi Talented KASS. : )

Comment

Originally posted by Scarym1
        Hey Tucker are you CANADIAN? I don't know where you are but it has certainly not been that hot here on the East Coast. Currently it is 11 degrees/cloudy with a chance of showers this evening.
        I'm in sunny, sweltering Ontario, where it's so hazy you can't distinguish the lake from the sky, so when I look out the window of my eleventh floor apartment it looks like the sailboats are flying above the trees.

Doesn't it suck that we have to wait until the fall for S9. SPACE will have the rights to air S9 as of July. I don't understand their logic in waiting until the fall to air it.
        I think it's less logic than old habits die hard: The new season starts in September, and that's that.

I am definitely not going to wait until then to see what S9 has in store for our lovely Dannyboy.
        Right now, I'm kind of determined to wait. Two months is miles better than the years behind we've been before. And, while it would be nice to be in the thick of it in July, I find that mid-season hiatus that comes with the head start a serious momentum-killer.

I reserve the right to abandon this resolve, however, if there's an abundance of SQUEEEEEEE-ing in the early reports.

I am looking forward to seeing them get back to some good old exploring. To see Daniel use that lovely brain of his. As nice as it is to see ACTION JACKSON (those muscles are too die for ) that is not what I love about him.
        I love that “Action Jackson” has become part of the package, and I’ve grown quite fond of his Prodigal Ancient aspect, as well. But the Peaceful Explorer is my first love, and I’m looking forward to seeing him again.

When is the last time we heard him say, “I have no idea,” in that tone of voice – you know the one – anyway?

It will be sad to see Jack go. I do hope that we will get a nice farewell scene between Jack and Daniel.
        At least give us a Classic Jack & Daniel moment, if we can’t have a nice, sloppy good-bye. Something to make up for the second-rate Jack we had to endure in ‘Moebius.’

What I am really looking forward to in S9 is how Daniel reacts to Ben Browder's character. Daniel will have a new Colonel to break in.
        Won’t he just (and I don’t think I’m going out on a limb here saying it’s a waaaay cooler one than Edwards). Plus, another chance for Daniel to demonstrate how very well worth it he is. Another upheaval, another dusting off and forging ahead, with the hope that something good will come of it.

I still can’t believe it’s happening: Ben and Michael. Browder and Shanks. Ben Browder and Michael Shanks, and not a quantum mirror in sight.

Tucker

Comment

good evening all or for some it may be night but anyway I needed a Daniel boost. soo Here i am to drool over all the lovely pics of Danny boy.

Comment

I pretty much like all the SG-1 team members equally... but I personally identify with Dr. Jackson the most. If I were most like any one of SG-1, it would be him. Although, I do love science like Carter does... so I guess it would be a combo of the two, but still mostly Daniel. I love ancient history, and the 'mysteries' of the universe. For me, Cosmology, physics, and Quantum Mechanics are all part of that.
            The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
            Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
            My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
            Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
              I love ancient history, and the 'mysteries' of the universe. For me, Cosmology, physics, and Quantum Mechanics are all part of that.
              ""The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." ~ Albert Einstein.

At least I think it was Einstein. I scribble this sort of hoo-ha down in the margins of my journal all the time, but my handwriting isn't always the most legible under cramped conditions.

I fell sort of sideways into ancient history and those mysteries when I was researching the roots of theatre in sacred ritual (Theatre History 101, but it was all new to my thirsty little brain). The dramatic arts were born on the altar, in tradition and the sacred, and I've always taken a measure of delight in the way dramatic stories that delve into these themes are, in a way, tracing their own ancestry. It's kind of cool.

I'm sure that's part of Daniel's appeal to me - he's that little touch of art I need to go with the science. But I also tend to think of him as my "voice" in the story, my starry-eyed representative - philosophically, ethically (I like to think) and, most of all, emotionally. He's my "heart" in the story, as well, the point where understanding or empathy gives way to complete sympathy, and that's really cool.

Hm.

"Try everything once, except incest and folk dancing."

I wrote that little pearl of wisdom down on the same page, for some reason. I'm betting it didn't come from Einstein.

Tucker

Comment

"Try everything once, except incest and folk dancing."

I wrote that little pearl of wisdom down on the same page, for some reason. I'm betting it didn't come from Einstein.

Tucker
                Humph! Nowt wrong with folk dancing!

FF, bellydancing, at least the way we do it, counts! Off to play some Natasha Atlas (sort of combat bellydancing music)
                sigpic

Comment

Yeah, Daniel is definitely the conscious of the team. He's their moral voice. He's often saved the day by being willing to look for alternatives to 'just blowing stuff up'... which is fun, I have to admit. Even Daniel has a certain hard streak in him though... (remember him shooting up the Goa'uld larvae tank?) Although, when he does, it is usually as justified as it can be.
                  (A silly qoute I came up with, not so long ago... )

"Reddi-whip is good for three things; Sex, Drugs, and Rocky-Road..."

---think about it... LOL
                  The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                  Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

To Frostfox...

Did you notice that in your Signature, that Daniel is sleeping up against a Nuclear Bomb..??? LOL (That was a good episode)

Jack: "I'm sure"

Daniel: "Me too"

Teal'c: "As am I"

Spoiler:

Comment

To Frostfox...

Did you notice that in your Signature, that Daniel is sleeping up against a Nuclear Bomb..??? LOL (That was a good episode)

Hah, no, I hadn't noticed! Only Danny would be that oblivious, the little sweetheart.

FF
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox
                        Humph! Nowt wrong with folk dancing!
                        I just wonder about what kind of week I was having, that I thought this might be advice I should be writing down. (I suppose I could just read the actual journal entries, but I've gone and scared myself.)

Tucker,
                        has two left feet and the rhythm of a garden gnome

Comment

He's often saved the day by being willing to look for alternatives to 'just blowing stuff up'... which is fun, I have to admit.
                          It's also fun, I think, when Daniel blows up.

If Mitchell doesn't do it, then I hope Vala is up to the task of bringing out the stomping, stammering, gesticulating Plant Boy in Daniel again...just once.

Even Daniel has a certain hard streak in him though... (remember him shooting up the Goa'uld larvae tank?)
                          I still get shivers from the scene in 'Serpent's Song' where he threatens to kill the dying Apophis in his bed.

I love that they're willing to let Daniel have that side to him. They maybe haven't explored it as fully as I might like, but they don't deny it, either, and Daniel's aware of it. I don't know that he's "given that old dark knight of the soul a hug" just yet, but he's acknowledged it; he owns his darkness, and remains a figure of such all-consuming hope in the face of it. It's one of the most compelling things about him, and the most beautiful.

"Reddi-whip is good for three things; Sex, Drugs, and Rocky-Road..."
                          Okay, how long have they been making chocolate Reddi-whip without anybody telling me? I just noticed it for the first time about a week ago - and had to back away slowly from the dairy case - but when I mentioned it to my sister, she looked at me like I'd asked her if she'd ever heard of maple syrup.

Tucker,
                          clearly out of the loop

Comment

Okay, how long have they been making chocolate Reddi-whip without anybody telling me? I just noticed it for the first time about a week ago - and had to back away slowly from the dairy case - but when I mentioned it to my sister, she looked at me like I'd asked her if she'd ever heard of maple syrup.

Tucker,
                            clearly out of the loop
                            Uh, you know... they make Strawberry Cool Whip too.
                            Ack. Sorry.
                            Just came from The Pond!

But I can sympathize, I don't usually get those memos either.

~ I have a LiveJournal !. ~

Comment

Okay. I'm really not a complete ninny. So don't judge me by my last post or the fact that I spend most of my time in The Pond (for those who don't know, that's the MS/DJ Thunk Thread. Just ask Foxy. ). Ack. So anyway...

I'm thinkin' that Mitchell/Ben will be up to the challenge of getting Danny's undies in a bunch. [Uh, so to speak (not slashy, I swear!). It's an expression. Oh crap, I am spending too much time in The Pond! ] And now I just realized that most of the point I was gonna make can't be made without spoilers. Hmmm... dilema. How 'bout this... Mitchell is the new guy, and I'm assuming that he'll be the one in charge, and not Carter. (Not a spoiler 'cuz I'm only speculating.) So he'll be having to tell Daniel (and the others) what to do. And since Mitchell has no history with Daniel, he's gonna have a hard time. Trust needs to be built. And Daniel is strong-willed if nothing else. Plus he knows how everything works, so Mitchell will probably have to be taking a lot of direction from Daniel (and the others). Which he may not appreciate. Just that alone would cause a knockin'-of-heads.

It's so hard to explain without giving anything away. I don't know much, but I don't want to ruin anything for anyone. So... maybe I'll just talk about something else.

Next post...

Comment

Daniel, Daniel, Daniel... Ya know, I really like the way his character has developed. And not just in the physical sense.

He's retained all of his most endearing traits. His conviction, his passion, his empathy, his courage, his morals, his wit, his strength, his sense of wonder, his compassion... All that hasn't gone anywhere, they've just evolved. Evolved to encompass more of the universe.

He's become a much stronger man because of all of his trials and tribulations. He still has that, "I'm probably gonna get the snot beat out of me, but I'm gonna do it anyway" attitude.

He's gained some fighting ability, but he'll never be the warrior. He would much rather try to negotiate than beat people into submission. He doesn't like conflict, but he won't back down from it. He's all about the people, and not so much about the politics.

He's the voice of reason. The moral compass.

He's also humble. Humble to the point of, "will you please take some credit". Like what we saw in 'Meridian'. He couldn't accept that he had some impact on the lives he touched.

He's a nice guy.

And yes, he does have a dark side. Though we didn't see too much of that. We saw it after Sha're was killed. We saw it in Absolute Power. But I can't think of anything else specific. We've also seen his moral outrage, but that's not the same as seeing his darker side. I would like to see more of a struggle with his demons.

Of course, there's the fact that even though he's been through more than any man should have to go through, he's still optimistic, hopeful, and trusting in other people's goodness and compassion. He always tries to see the light in the dark. Believes in other's ability to care.

*sigh* Well, that's about all I can handle right now. I'll come back another time when I've had some sleep.

Till then...

___________________________________________________________
                                I'm really ruining my Hussy-Percentage by posting here, but... *shrug*

Comment

Working...
                                X