Daniel Jackson Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abodie
    I think Daniel does fine with the languages he does know. Also he uses hand gestures (charades) and his kind tone of voice gets other races to trust him. Have you all voted for Michael Shanks on the poll? If not he could use your vote.
    Which poll?

Comment

The poll on this site asking who is your favorite SG-1 character. Right now there is a difference in 4 votes between Jack and Daniel.

Comment

Hi gang. The things that I love/appreciate about Daniel is he can go from one end of the spectrum to the other. His character has matured abit but they still show the things that make him who he is.

His strength to persevere, but his weakness for those who are oppressed. His passion for what he does, but his selflessness to others. He has matured through his trials, but is aware of his own weaknesses. His ability to come from nowhere to go everywhere. From the one who was laughed at (by his archeology peers)to the one who is doing the laughing now.

That's a few, but I am sure you get what I mean. Imo, he is the perfect example of what humanity should be.

Thanks Suekay for the sig!
        http://www.fanfiction.net/~gatergina71

Comment

Originally posted by whisper99
          Nope. He had (we would think) 8 relatively good years with his folks. Then 1 good year with his wife. The rest of it, probably sucked

In the RPG manual (I got it as an xmas gift from my DH ) it states that DJ was orphaned at 5 years old, then given up for adoption by Nick when he was 8. Sooo...in the RPG, his life sucked worse, cuz it's bad enough your parents die, but then your grandpa tosses you out 3 years later. Poor kid.

I wonder if that's cannon? I rewatched crystal skull and game keeper and really, there's nothing to say it couldn't have happened that way. Might be why DJ said the comments about Nick not being a very good grandfather.
          Hi, AFAIK, the rpg company has an agreement basically making it canon what they write, unless later epsiodes say something different...the books do have lovely pictures beside the rules stuff.

Apart from that, the first thing that ever made me appreciate Daniel was his geekiness. Being a geek myself, I loved him from the first minute way back in the film....

Thanks to bling for the great sig!
          Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
          ~CELLO!~
          ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Comment

Originally posted by Iskandra
            Hi, AFAIK, the rpg company has an agreement basically making it canon what they write, unless later epsiodes say something different...the books do have lovely pictures beside the rules stuff.

Apart from that, the first thing that ever made me appreciate Daniel was his geekiness. Being a geek myself, I loved him from the first minute way back in the film....
            That's good to know...egads...Poor Daniel!!!

Comment

Oh nono, can't have this on page 5. That's terrible!

What do you think Daniel's hobbies are?

Reading
              Surfing the internet
              Watching movies with Sam
              Playing the piano
              Going garage-sailing/antiquing on the weekends (probably with Sam) to collect more stuff to put on his walls (swords, masks, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by whisper99
                Oh! And in the episode before it (Jollinar's memories) I noticed how DJ was touching something on the ship and Jack catches him at it and DJ snatches his hand back. It happened so fast I almost missed it. It was very cute LOL
                gee, I wonder if this is canon enough for Jack always telling Daniel "DON'T TOUCH!"

I bet Daniel touches without even thinking about it. His fingers are drawn to an artifact, you know?

Deej
                Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

Sam got to be the one who says "don't touch" in IGtbK

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
                    gee, I wonder if this is canon enough for Jack always telling Daniel "DON'T TOUCH!"

I bet Daniel touches without even thinking about it. His fingers are drawn to an artifact, you know?

Deej
                    Hey, it was right there on the screen. That makes it cannon It makes me want to rewatch all those episodes just to take in what is going on in the background. There's just so much to see!

Comment

One thing that I definitely liked about Daniel in Prometheus Unbound
                      Spoiler:
                      he kept his eyes closed while putting Claudia in the Prometheus uniform. Yes, I do think he did keep his eyes closed.
                      Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Prometheus Unbound
                        Spoiler:
                        I think it's certainly possible that he kept them open so as to get the job done efficiently, but figured that since he hadn't actually *done* anything bad he could be forgiven a white lie. After all, if he *did* see anything the truth would only have encouraged her to either redouble her 'advances' or to get angry with him, and what (for him) would be the point of that?

I think he's a gentleman, but he's practical too, and once in a while he's been known to tell the truth that he thinks the other person needs to hear rather than the actual true truth

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne

Deej
                          Ah that I could be an artifact...

Hope they continue Daniel's storyline really early on in next week's Threads.
                          S8 Reckoning 2
                          Spoiler:
                          I'm now wondering just how much Ancient knowledge Daniel found, and if perhaps he wasn't descended at all. Maybe he was a 'manifestation' like that Ancient in Atlantis. So it could be that he ascended himself at the end of Reckoning rather than having Oma do it.

However, I do think it was more likely that Oma did it. And I'm also wondering if maybe Replicarter hit on some truth when she said (disguised as Oma) that Daniel was the one who had 'hidden' his memories not her.

As an interesting aside, I was watching Serpent's Lair last night, and noticed that when Jack realises he has to leave Daniel behind, the close up on his face was of the exact same look and expression as he had at the end of reckoning so [reckoning spoilers]
                          Spoiler:
                          I'm guessing that he thinks Daniel is dead despite what he said to Carter.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ach, it's good to have this place back

I loved Reckoning.
                            Spoiler:
                            Some of it's been brewing for two years; two years we've been waiting to see Daniel's reaction to Oma pulling him away. Until now it was really only Orpheus that dealt with how he was coping with his ascension and descension, and coming so close to Fallen it always felt like that ep was a right, we need an ep to allude to Daniel's Year Out, then we can move on and Never Mention It Again.

Originally posted by Gipsy
                            Spoiler:
                            And I'm also wondering if maybe Replicarter hit on some truth when she said (disguised as Oma) that Daniel was the one who had 'hidden' his memories not her.
                            That might well be so. Replicarter lied to Daniel more than once, but lying always works best when some of what is said is true. If it *is* Daniel who hid his own memories does that mean he could access them? Probably; he could probably remember much of his own experiences. Could he access all the *knowledge* he formerly had? I'm not sure he could. I reckon he knows (in memories he's hidden) the pathway to a lot of Ancient / Ascended stuff, but to let it all into his mind would probably be as damaging to him as Jack's information overload was in Fifth Race and LC.

But then going back to what I said earlier, that he could probably remember his own experiences, it strikes me as likely that the things he experienced may well have included a lot of stuff that was beyond the realm of human capacity to understand anyway, so maybe not.

I'm rambling. I'll shut up now

Anyway, roll on Threads...

Madeleine

Comment

I appreciate Daniel for the way he told Carter back in Fragile Balance:

"If I have to drag the little tyke, kicking and screaming, through the 'gate myself. I didn't come all this way to watch him die like this..."

The 'little tyke' being Jack, of course

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                                Ach, it's good to have this place back

I loved Reckoning.
                                Spoiler:
                                Some of it's been brewing for two years; two years we've been waiting to see Daniel's reaction to Oma pulling him away. Until now it was really only Orpheus that dealt with how he was coping with his ascension and descension, and coming so close to Fallen it always felt like that ep was a right, we need an ep to allude to Daniel's Year Out, then we can move on and Never Mention It Again.

That might well be so. Replicarter lied to Daniel more than once, but lying always works best when some of what is said is true. If it *is* Daniel who hid his own memories does that mean he could access them? Probably; he could probably remember much of his own experiences. Could he access all the *knowledge* he formerly had? I'm not sure he could. I reckon he knows (in memories he's hidden) the pathway to a lot of Ancient / Ascended stuff, but to let it all into his mind would probably be as damaging to him as Jack's information overload was in Fifth Race and LC.

But then going back to what I said earlier, that he could probably remember his own experiences, it strikes me as likely that the things he experienced may well have included a lot of stuff that was beyond the realm of human capacity to understand anyway, so maybe not.

I'm rambling. I'll shut up now

Anyway, roll on Threads...
                                Not rambling at all!

Good points. I have to say that the more I think about this the more I view tommorrow night with trepidation. There are so many ways they could mishandle this! My biggest fear is further dilution of the ancient story line. They're no longer great, mystical beings, but folks who ran from the pegasus galaxy with their tails between their legs, and how may have been involved in experiments of questionable ethics...how did they ever manage to reach a stage of enlightenment where they could ascend?

As far as I can see, Daniel was already far more enlightened than most of the ancients we've met so far, before Oma ascended him!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X