No announcement yet.

Daniel Jackson Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched Thor's Hammer last night, and watching the ending it struck me that Jack purposely gave the staff weapon to Daniel so he would have to be the one to destroy the 'hammer' thereby destroying the one chance they had (at the time) to get the goa'uld out of Shau'ri.

I thought that showed a lot of smarts on Jack's part, and trust that Daniel would do the right thing.

While Daniel didn't show much anger or unhappiness outwardly, how do you think he was feeling inside? I wonder if he yelled at Jack when they got home, or if he understood why Jack let him make the choice.

I don't know where I in Daniel's shoes that I could have done what he did. It would have happened anyway, Sam or Jack would have done it, but... ouch.

Dana Jeanne
    Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
      I watched Thor's Hammer last night, and watching the ending it struck me that Jack purposely gave the staff weapon to Daniel so he would have to be the one to destroy the 'hammer' thereby destroying the one chance they had (at the time) to get the goa'uld out of Shau'ri.

I thought that showed a lot of smarts on Jack's part, and trust that Daniel would do the right thing.

While Daniel didn't show much anger or unhappiness outwardly, how do you think he was feeling inside? I wonder if he yelled at Jack when they got home, or if he understood why Jack let him make the choice.

I don't know where I in Daniel's shoes that I could have done what he did. It would have happened anyway, Sam or Jack would have done it, but... ouch.

Dana Jeanne
      I remember sitting there dumbstruck that Jack could have been so callous! I think I even threw something at the TV.

Comment

Originally posted by blingaway
        I remember sitting there dumbstruck that Jack could have been so callous! I think I even threw something at the TV.
        I know, it took me a couple viewings before I realised that what Jack did was actually a smart move. If anyone else had done it, Daniel could have blamed that person and the team could have splintered.

I just can't imagine how he must have felt when he aimed and shot

Dana Jeanne

Michael Shanks Online

Comment

I know, it took me a couple viewings before I realised that what Jack did was actually a smart move. If anyone else had done it, Daniel could have blamed that person and the team could have splintered.

Dana Jeanne
          I think he'd have had to be numb. And Jack needed to be sure of Daniel but did Daniel know he could be sure Jack would be there for the continuing search for Sha're? It must have been an agony for Daniel, who had been going alone most of his life, to suddenly need to depend on someone sticking with him for an unspecified future.

Comment

Dana Jeanne
            I found that scene so hard to watch, and still do. In CoTG/Enemy Within, we see Daniel emotionally ripped to shreds as he watches the operation on Kwalsky, knowing that this is it. If the operation works there's very real hope for Sha're, if it doesn't work then he has to go back to blind faith that a solution will be found. And here it is, a solution. Except that the right thing to do is destroy it. Poor Daniel

And good point on the Alien landing pads thing. You're right on that score. Although as it turned out...
            sigpic

Comment

Dana Jeanne
              It had to be Daniel that did that - only he could make the sort of decision for Sha're. And he would have known that Sha're would have agreed with him too.
              sigpic

Comment

Agreed. If Jack had been the one to do it, Daniel probably never would've forgiven him. He was the only one to do it, no ifs ands or buts.
                Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
                  It had to be Daniel that did that - only he could make the sort of decision for Sha're. And he would have known that Sha're would have agreed with him too.
                  There is that, yes. But still....

You know, I've never ever felt about a TV character the way I do about Daniel. I generally have no trouble remembering this is all fiction and NOT REAL and all that, but with Stargate and Daniel, there's something that makes me kind of forget that when I'm watching or discussing the show or reading fanfic. I think part of that is Michael Shanks' ability to make Daniel seem so real. I don't see Michael when I watch... I don't know, there's just something about this character.

So, anyway when I see Daniel hurting on TV, I can feel it myself.

I am a strange person....

Dana Jeanne

Michael Shanks Online

Comment

no not strange, sounds normal to me! Seriously though, when a show or a film can take you out of yourself to the point where you don't need to suspend disbelief then that's a fantastic moment. This is something that we lose as we get older, and it annoys me because I read a book or watch a movie or a program to 'escape' for a bit. But there are very few times when I do actually manage this. Reading Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks is the only other example I can think of - during the battle of the Somme I was so immersed in the book and it was so real, that reality seemed fake. Other than that, the last time I truly felt this way with a movie was watching Empire Strikes Back, but then I was 14 at the time. And when it comes to TV, it is Stargate that does it for me.

Although I do fully know that Stargate is a fictional creation! It was Foothold that made me realise this - I didn't actually twig . I was watching Sam wearing the mimic device as 'Daniel' and I realised that what I actually was watching was Sam looking like Daniel - I wasn't seeing an actor pretending to be another actor, I hadn't had to activate my 'suspension of disbelief', I was believing what I was seeing on the screen.

It's so cool! Kinda like the adrenalin rush people seem to get from fairground rides (I just get dizzy and sick).
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
                      Although I do fully know that Stargate is a fictional creation! It was Foothold that made me realise this - I didn't actually twig . I was watching Sam wearing the mimic device as 'Daniel' and I realised that what I actually was watching was Sam looking like Daniel - I wasn't seeing an actor pretending to be another actor, I hadn't had to activate my 'suspension of disbelief', I was believing what I was seeing on the screen.
                      I know what you mean with those scenes; when I *did* register that the show was a fiction and the characters were acted by actors it still took me a while to unravel things sufficiently to take in that it wasn't AT doing the acting in all of Sam's scenes. I once commented how well AT had done portraying Daniel!

Madeleine

Comment

ROFL! Now that's definitely blurring the lines. But I know what you mean. I had the same thought going through my head too. I haven't felt that in very many other shows (well none that I can name off the top of my head!).
                        sigpic

Comment

I've been doing some thinking (with no luck yet) as to what direction should Daniel's growth go in? How do you think his character should grow with the changes of the team? Now I know some of you have seen the newest episodes (still on the edge of my seat for January.), but in general, what are your thoughts?
                          No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

While I love SG-1 going out and saving the planet from evil, I'd also like them to get a life as well away from the SGC.

I'd like Daniel to find someone and have a normal live outside of the Stargate program, however since he was dimissed by his collegues and the archeaology community, I'm not sure how that would happen.

Comment

I'm still pulling for him to build something with Sarah, tho I don't really know how, as IT'S BEEN A WHILE (a-hem, TPTB ) since we visited that storyline. It really only makes sense, they have a lot in common and she knows about the SGC and the Goa'uld and...am I blathering? Sorry.
                              At any rate, poor Danny needs a life outside the SGC. And he needs to wear shirts less often.

Comment

Originally posted by Jillybiehn

At any rate, poor Danny needs a life outside the SGC. And he needs to wear shirts less often.
                                Take a summer leave of absence and work as a lifeguard?

Comment

Working...
                                X