Daniel Jackson Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
    That scene in Affinity-- I always wonder what exactly he must have been thinking at that moment.
    I love it that the writers didn't talk that scene to death. I love the speculating about what's in the characters' heads, especially Daniel.

I think i have too much empathy for fictional characters; when Daniel was dying in Meridian I kept wondering how he must be feeling. It made me hurt!

I need a life, I know.

Dana Jeanne
    If that's true then I need one too! LOL!

I love Daniel's vulnerability. The end of Enemy Mine gets me every time. He's just averted a massacre AND secured the naquadah and should have been going around collecting high-fives for his days work, but he wasn't. Colonel whoever that was says, O'Neill was right about you...The look on Daniel's face was almost aglow to hear Jack had said something nice about him...You are a pain in the ass...You can just see Daniel shrink physically and emotionally... But well worth it...Um, yeah, okay... I wanna deck that colonel every time!!

Beautifully acted by MS.

Comment

Originally posted by Dana_Jeanne
      So. As this is the Daniel Discussion and *Appreciation* Thread, what is it about Daniel that you appreciate most?

If he's your favorite character, what made you choose him?

Would you still love him if he wasn't such a blue-eyed, handsome hunk?

Dana Jeanne
      Absolutely, and falling for him had nothing to do with how good looking he is. I was intrigued by the character to start with in the movie, then when they got to Abydos, and he was dragged across the sand by that animal, I thought 'this is someone I can really relate to'. It is exactly the sort of idiotic thing I'd do myself.

I watched the movie because I was a fan of Kurt Russell, but he, and his character, didn't impact me anywhere as much as Daniel did.

However, what I also really liked was the friendship between the two, the way it developed, and the way each of them helped the other to develop as a person too. Daniel brought Jack back into the real world, helped him see there was a bigger picture out there, and Jack helped bring Daniel back into the real world, by helping him to see a perspective that wasn't from an academic ivory tower. And they did this without dialogue, but just by being themselves with each other.

Going back to one of your earlier points DJ. I actually would have liked to have seen Daniel and Sha're together, because it wouldn't have been the usual romance/conflict storyline. Most, actually just about all, shows and movies have a love interest that has to overcome or resolve some sort of conflict. And it is in following the resolution that the story line centres. Once the romance is resolved, the storyline is finished. For once, I'd like to see a real pairing, that is a couple who are together because they love each other and there's no conflict. And no, I'm not advocating boring TV! But we get this all the time in friendships portrayed on TV. Why can't we have a romantic relationship such as marriage, where the romance or the marriage ISN'T the story - it simply exists, and the story/plot/conflict is something else.

er, does that make sense?!
      sigpic

Comment

I'd seen pictures of MS in SFX, TV Zone and the like long before I ever watched the show. I'd seen both his Outer Limits eps too. I thought him nothing the least bit special, looks-wise. It wasn't until after seeing him as Daniel that I ever thought him at all dishy.

That's pretty normal for me. I actually though Ben Browder and Connor Trineer pretty plain until several eps into their respective shows. Nathan Fillion was terribly ugly as Caleb, Gina Torres was not pretty as Jasmine, but each of them are gorgeous in Firefly. And it can work the other way too: I've never thought Teyla or Major Shepperd were lookers, but having seen Rachel and Joe at a panel yesterday and been impressed by how pleasant and bright they both were I happen to think both actors look really lovely.

Does that make me weird?

Madeleine

Comment

[QUOTE=GateGipsy]

Going back to one of your earlier points DJ. I actually would have liked to have seen Daniel and Sha're together, because it wouldn't have been the usual romance/conflict storyline. Most, actually just about all, shows and movies have a love interest that has to overcome or resolve some sort of conflict. And it is in following the resolution that the story line centres. Once the romance is resolved, the storyline is finished. For once, I'd like to see a real pairing, that is a couple who are together because they love each other and there's no conflict. And no, I'm not advocating boring TV! But we get this all the time in friendships portrayed on TV. Why can't we have a romantic relationship such as marriage, where the romance or the marriage ISN'T the story - it simply exists, and the story/plot/conflict is something else.

Yes, it makes perfect sense. I believe that's what they had on Abydos that year. Of course, we didn't see any of that, however, we did see what Daniel meant to the Abydonians in COTG. Perhaps some of them looked at Daniel as an imposter, but with Kasuf's approval, I'm sure he was well-liked by the majority of the people. How could someone not like him?

Another thing I like about Daniel is his relationship with Kasuf. Even though Sha're was gone and he no longer lived on Abydos, he treats Kasuf with the utmost respect. In Forever In A Day, when he questions Kasuf he says: "Forgive me, Good Father, but how do you know this?" Also, in Secrets when he retuns to Abydos, he comes through the Stargate and kneels before Kasuf, begging his forgiveness for not retuning with Sha're.

Even when Daniel goes back to Abydos, he wears the clothing of the people, as if he never left. You've got to wonder how many of those long robes he has hanging in his closet.

Lisa Michelle

Comment

Originally posted by LMichelle
            Another thing I like about Daniel is his relationship with Kasuf. Even though Sha're was gone and he no longer lived on Abydos, he treats Kasuf with the utmost respect. In Forever In A Day, when he questions Kasuf he says: "Forgive me, Good Father, but how do you know this?" Also, in Secrets when he retuns to Abydos, he comes through the Stargate and kneels before Kasuf, begging his forgiveness for not retuning with Sha're.

Lisa Michelle
            Spoiler:
            another reason to hate them blowing up Abydos and ascending Daniel's family
            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

LOL Well those robes do look comfy. I'd be tempted to wear them when lounging around the house.

I always thought that he felt he was Abydonian, given that he did leave Earth and planned to live there forever. Which is why I feel there ought to be more fall out for Daniel from Full Circle.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                Does that make me weird?
                Um, is that a rhetorical question? I've met you, remember?

When I first started watching SG1, I wasn't impressed by Daniel physically. I thought he had a rather strange mouth and was too young. As the series went on, and I began to love the *character* Daniel's appearance become more attractive to me. So I actually 'fell in love' with the person of Daniel rather than his looks.

Of course it helped that as MS 'grew up' so did Daniel And then the hair cut and those cheekbones made thier appearance... Sigh.

So answering my own question: yes, I would still love Daniel even if he looked like a hairy mutt.

Daniel has a soul that shines from the inside out and he's beautiful no matter what he actually looks like.

Dana Jeanne
                Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

I like 'em young. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I'm closer to Daniel's age than any of the others.
                  I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Although Michael Shanks was quite young, at the time he started on Stargate, he was playing Daniel who is a bit older, so I always saw him as someone who was more my age than ten years younger.

Cripes, I've forgotten. How old should Daniel be now? Has he had is 40th? Did we have a party? Did I get THAT drunk I've forgotten!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
                      Although Michael Shanks was quite young, at the time he started on Stargate, he was playing Daniel who is a bit older, so I always saw him as someone who was more my age than ten years younger.

Cripes, I've forgotten. How old should Daniel be now? Has he had is 40th? Did we have a party? Did I get THAT drunk I've forgotten!!!
                      I can't remember either. I think it was figured out that he was born in 1965. (which would currently put him at 39) and the date was July something or other (I'm terrible at remembering those types of things.)

Anyway, we best not forget next year!!!!
                      No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DJFavorite
                        I can't remember either. I think it was figured out that he was born in 1965. (which would currently put him at 39) and the date was July something or other (I'm terrible at remembering those types of things.)

Anyway, we best not forget next year!!!!
                        Hey, I volunteer my birthday! (July 30) I'd be happy to share it with Daniel!

Comment

Sorry. His birthday is July 8th - that's canon I'm afraid!

Of course I should have just looked up the year on GateWorld, d'uh!

Click Here

THE STARGATE OMNIPEDIA
                          JACKSON, DANIEL
                          SG-1's archaeological expert, responsible for cracking the code to first activate the
                          Stargate. A student of language, mythology and ancient cultures, Jackson's knowledge and razor-sharp wit is key to encounters with alien civilizations and displaced human colonies across the galaxy. Sometimes awkward, sometimes socially inept, he is driven, intelligent, and an invaluable member of the Stargate program.
                          sigpic

Comment

Daniel's been referred to as a "young man" in a couple of eps. I think that's so cute. One was Covenant and the other was from season one, I believe.
                            It's kind of weird they have his character older than MS really is.

MS was born December 15, 1970. I'm nine months younger than he is -almost to the day (9/10/71). LOL!

Lisa Michelle

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
                              Sorry. His birthday is July 8th - that's canon I'm afraid!
                              Jeez Gipsy, you sure know how to wreck a gal's mood...
                              We'd better start planning now, it's gonna be a heckuva bash!

Comment

Originally posted by LMichelle
                                Daniel's been referred to as a "young man" in a couple of eps. I think that's so cute. One was Covenant and the other was from season one, I believe.
                                It's kind of weird they have his character older than MS really is.

MS was born December 15, 1970. I'm nine months younger than he is -almost to the day (9/10/71). LOL!

Lisa Michelle
                                I see a birthday celebration coming up..... We have one month to plan. Make sure you put the date on your calendar.
                                No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X