No announcement yet.

Daniel Jackson Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to see Daniel and Sarah together. I think he's grown up enough to realize a good thing when he has it now, but how emotionally scarred he must be. He's endured a lot of loss. Would he be willing to put his emotions on the line again, or would the fear of the anguish of another loss make him hold back?

Comment

Nope, there's no way Daniel and Sarah can get together again. Too much has happened, anyway. Besides Daniel would have a hard time seeing her as anyone but Osiris. How could he get past that?

Personally, I like Osiris much more than Sarah. She's a bad ass. Let's get Evil Daniel together with Osiris. There's a lethal combination.

Lisa Michelle

Comment

Osiris is a male ;-)

I'm not sure why, but I've never really been fond of Daniel/Sarah as a combo.

DJ
        Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

I'm not in favour of Daniel/Sarah either. I can see them as really good friends, especially after what she went though, she'll need someone to talk to. But as more than that? If the spark had really been there, then they'd have survived whatever it was that pushed them apart in the first place.

Whereas his feelings for Sha're were strong enough right from the start that, without even barely knowing her, he was willing to give up his whole life and his home planet to be with her. At the time, it was a one way trip - as far as he knew, he'd never be able to go back.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
            Whereas his feelings for Sha're were strong enough right from the start that, without even barely knowing her, he was willing to give up his whole life and his home planet to be with her. At the time, it was a one way trip - as far as he knew, he'd never be able to go back.

His academic life he had flushed down the toilet as far as everyone in his field was concerned, and on is home planet he had (as far as we know) no strong ties to anyone.

His parents were dead, his standing was gone, but there on Abydos was a living embodiment of what he had studied all his life. I always felt like he accepted Sha're immediately because he was decent and kindhearted and didn't want to see her hurt. With the emotional losses he had suffered it seem natural to me that he would eventually be open to her love, but I didn't think he stayed behind just for Sha're.

Comment

Originally posted by blingaway
              His academic life he had flushed down the toilet as far as everyone in his field was concerned, and on is home planet he had (as far as we know) no strong ties to anyone.

His parents were dead, his standing was gone, but there on Abydos was a living embodiment of what he had studied all his life. I always felt like he accepted Sha're immediately because he was decent and kindhearted and didn't want to see her hurt. With the emotional losses he had suffered it seem natural to me that he would eventually be open to her love, but I didn't think he stayed behind just for Sha're.
              I don't think he'd have stayed behind for those reasons alone, if it hadn't been for Sha're.

For me, I moved 12,000 miles from my home to be with my hubs, and trust me, no matter how good my life here might be, it is really incredibly hard being away from your home. Especially that far away, as it means visits are every few years.

To give up everything that is familiar, and not to mention the comforts, forever, as Daniel decided to do, takes a lot more than just the motivation that is provided by seeing his life's work come to life.
              sigpic

Comment

12,000 miles?! Wow. My husband just shouted that he loves me but he wouldn't even move down the block for me. That's love.

I don't think that Daniel would have stayed behind if it hadn't been for Sha're. I'm sure that he loved the chance to study the Abydonians further but, like Gipsy, I don't think that he would have cut himself off from Earth for that alone.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

He may not have been in love yet with Sha're, but seen the potential for it. In plenty of cultures marriages are not born of love so much as love is born of marriage. That might have had an appeal for Daniel.

Madeleine

Comment

He didn't fall in love with Sha're until after they were married. I believe she was a big reason why he stayed, but also he didn't have much of a life on earth. He was ridiculed by his collegues, no close family relationships, or a person to stay on Earth for. I think he also didn't have anywhere to live. He had suitcases with him when he got in the car with Catherine, right? I believed she mentioned something like that.

Lisa Michelle

Comment

She did. She said that his contracts had expired, he had just been evicted from his apartment (probably because he couldn't pay rent anymore, or they didn't like whatever artifacts he owned lying around the place) and that everything he owned was in those two suitcases. If I were him, I'd wanna live on Abydos too. Just one big downside. No indoor plumbing or real bathroom.
                      Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

My pov on that is: Daniel was attracted to Sha're, he was an egyptologist/linguist who was suddenly *living* the life he'd been, er, digging up for so many years, he had nothing to go backto earth for, and he was attracted to Sha're. <G>

It's possible to 'fall in love at first site,' and if you're lucky the love continues on and grows to include friendship also. I would guess that Daniel simply fell in love with it all: Sha're, Abydos, the Egyptions, etc, and as the days passed realised he not only loved Sha're, he liked her, too.

Dana Jeanne

Michael Shanks Online

Comment

OK, here is my thoughts on this, looking at everything, like someone else said Daniel really didnt' have anything here (earth) to say for...let's see, he was thought of as a hack/wacko in the archeology (sp?) world...he'd lost all of his grants so he had no money, he'd been evicted from his home and everything he owned was in the couple of suitcases that he had with him with Catherine picked him up. Besides all of that, taking what we've learned about Daniel in SG1 he's parents are dead, his only living family (at least that we know of) was his Grandfather Nick, and we know that, that wasn't a good or close relationship, he wouldn't take him when his parents died, and what little relationship they had was VERY strained when Daniel's theories on "aliens" came out (not to mention Nick was in the funny farm himself). From the comments made in The Curse it was at least clear to me that the few friends Daniel had through his schoolng and teaching days, where also lost when he put forth his theories, either because they thought he was nuts or because he distanced himself to save their reputations. We know from things that Daniel has said in other episodes that he never felt like he belonged (pre Meridian/homecoming).....Now think about it, here's a guy that has what can only be described as a really sucky life on earth, for the reason's listed above, and now he's presented a chance to completely start over, living in a culture that he'd spent his life studing, and with people that didn't see him as a failure (as people on earth did) but as a saviour, plus there's this women he get's....why wouldn't he stay, he had NO REASON to want to return to earth...as for Daniel and Sha're I don't think the love thing started until after Jack and the rest of the team left, but it blossomed in that year they spent together (as much as I hate it...like I've said before, I've never like the character...) but that's my thought, I don't think Sha're was as much a factor as everything else he didn't want to face back on earth....he took the sweater deal.....

Comment

I think there are two definite ways to see this - as you do and as I do. Having experienced 'love at first sight', ugh that sounds so corny! And it's not like you lay eyes on someone and go all gooey. I'd sort of seen my hubs briefly a couple of times, but then suddenly I realised that this was the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. Of course, we kinda needed to go on a date first! But something inside just told me that this was it - no angels singing, no exploding fireworks, no soft focus lovey dovey moments. Just a clear certainty that this was the right path for me.

And I got the feeling from the movie that that's how it was with Daniel. It just all seemed crystal clear to him - that was the path he had to follow. Even if it had all been wonderful back home for him, he would still have made that choice.

He's a guy who was willing to stand up in front of his peers and risk his academic reputation and face ridicule. That to me isn't the sort of guy who would just leave everything because the going got rough.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hmm - as the new person I'll just barge in with my thoughts here.

Daniel, being among other things an athropologist, would know not to insult anyone by turning Sha're down. And yes, I think our happy, affable archaeologist could fall in love with someone he's stuck with on a wonderful new planet who treats him normally (as opposed to some sort of God, like Daniel spoke about in the pilot) I think Daniel did love him. Bearing in mind that love itself is not limited, you can love more than one person in your life, you just love each person slightly differently.

Although personally, I'm a Jack/Daniel shipper - "FIND HIM!" > Icon

Comment

While I think showing Past and Present right after FIAD was a bad scheduling choice, I can also understand why Daniel fell for Kyra so quickly. He'd been loyal to Sha're for three years, and it was finally over. Here was a woman he was attracted to and there was nothing standing in the way of his feelings (well, not at first).

I think it's rather like someone who has a family who is slowly dying of an incurable illness; at the end, mixed in with horrible, gut-wrenching grief is also the feeling of relief that it's finally over. While this causes many people unnecessay guilt, it's a normal reaction.

I would think that's part of the way Daniel felt in FIAD. He must have known, deep inside himself, that the Sha're he'd loved on Abydos was never going to be returned to him, and that the best he could hope for was exactly what happened. Whether he ever admitted it to himself is a whole nother thing, but I think his subconsious was facing the truth.

So when Kyra popped up, he was ripe for a rebound romance. And lets face it: the man hadn't been getting any for three years (voluntarily) although I don't believe for a second that he and Kyra 'did it.' Not on base in an unlocked room with guards standing outside!

Not that this has anything to do with anything, I just thought I'd start a new subject <G>
                                Dana Jeanne

Michael Shanks Online

Comment

Working...
                                X