Daniel Jackson Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Callista View Post

That sounds like most real people I know. It does not sound like most fictional characters to which I've been exposed. Most fictional characters I can think of act in a certain way pretty much all of the time....whether it be wise-cracking or kind or snotty or greedy or whatever. All the real people I know move back and forth between those and many, many other characteristics.
    Indeed, very realistic character, and talking about changes - the topic we were discussing in the thunk thread - look at season 1 Daniel, then for example season 9 Daniel. So, season 1, he's naive, he's amazed by those wonderful things the galaxy has, of course he's desperate too because of his wife, but still, he's so human, he always wants to choose the peaceful way, even when there is no way for that, now look at season 9 episode Prototype. He's not naive anymore, he doesn't think they should understand Khalek, nope, he just say it: we have to kill him. Yes, we talking about Anubis' son, so Daniel is 'affected', big time, so that can be a good explanation for his action, but I don't think it would that easy, I think he realized over the years that peaceful solution can't be the answer all the time, that sometimes you have to choose the hard, cruel way. And I think Prototype shows his 'evolution' very well.

( Sorry for my English, it's not my native )

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MacGadget View Post
      Indeed, very realistic character, and talking about changes - the topic we were discussing in the thunk thread - look at season 1 Daniel, then for example season 9 Daniel. So, season 1, he's naive, he's amazed by those wonderful things the galaxy has, of course he's desperate too because of his wife, but still, he's so human, he always wants to choose the peaceful way, even when there is no way for that, now look at season 9 episode Prototype. He's not naive anymore, he doesn't think they should understand Khalek, nope, he just say it: we have to kill him. Yes, we talking about Anubis' son, so Daniel is 'affected', big time, so that can be a good explanation for his action, but I don't think it would that easy, I think he realized over the years that peaceful solution can't be the answer all the time, that sometimes you have to choose the hard, cruel way. And I think Prototype shows his 'evolution' very well.

( Sorry for my English, it's not my native )
      I actually have more of a liking for the later Daniel that you describe than the earlier. I'm a very peaceful person. I don't think I've ever shown physical aggression to anyone in my life. (Well, other than my brother of course. But that doesn't count because he's my brother and he hit me first!! ) However, I always had a hard time accepting that the Air Force would allow someone like Daniel along on missions because he was so quick to question the military way. I always had a hard time accepting that Jack would allow him along on missions because frankly, I thought Daniel was rather unreliable at first. For example, him saying he knew how to get the original team home when he didn't, and him standing there leafing through his notebook looking for the gate address while everyone waits for him and Kowalsky gets snaked.

But regardless of which stage a person likes to watch or relates to, I agree that his 'evolution' was natural given the experiences he had. I think it came in stages rather than just being suddenly a completely different person for the last two seasons or even after descending.

Comment

Originally posted by Callista View Post
        I actually have more of a liking for the later Daniel that you describe than the earlier. I'm a very peaceful person. I don't think I've ever shown physical aggression to anyone in my life. (Well, other than my brother of course. But that doesn't count because he's my brother and he hit me first!! ) However, I always had a hard time accepting that the Air Force would allow someone like Daniel along on missions because he was so quick to question the military way. I always had a hard time accepting that Jack would allow him along on missions because frankly, I thought Daniel was rather unreliable at first. For example, him saying he knew how to get the original team home when he didn't, and him standing there leafing through his notebook looking for the gate address while everyone waits for him and Kowalsky gets snaked.

But regardless of which stage a person likes to watch or relates to, I agree that his 'evolution' was natural given the experiences he had. I think it came in stages rather than just being suddenly a completely different person for the last two seasons or even after descending.
        Yeah, I guess Air Force realized, knew that they need this guy, they knew that without him, they wouldn't be able to do almost anything in the galaxy, cause his work was so much more than 'just' archeology, linguistic, so I think they thought: okay, well he can be a pain in the as... but boy, we need him. LOL

Yes, as I said in the other thread, if we look at the team, Jack, Sam and especially Teal'c, they all had experiences before the programme, about war and such, now Daniel didn't, he was just a curios, naive archeologist, and suddenly he had to deal with things like super powerful enemies of the galaxy, alien entity in his body etc., these things were lot even for the rest of the team, and for him, even more I guess, so he had to change, otherwise he wouldn't have survived it, also the tragedies in his life, one after the other, and yes, the ascension, is it just me or his sense of humor turned into kinda sarcastic, after that? LOL It would be understandable: 'Hey, I died, I ascended, now I'm back... of course I'm snarky.' Heehee

sigpic

Comment

Yes, as I said in the other thread, if we look at the team, Jack, Sam and especially Teal'c, they all had experiences before the programme, about war and such, now Daniel didn't, he was just a curios, naive archeologist, and suddenly he had to deal with things like super powerful enemies of the galaxy, alien entity in his body etc., these things were lot even for the rest of the team, and for him, even more I guess, so he had to change, otherwise he wouldn't have survived it, also the tragedies in his life, one after the other, and yes, the ascension, is it just me or his sense of humor turned into kinda sarcastic, after that? LOL It would be understandable: 'Hey, I died, I ascended, now I'm back... of course I'm snarky.' Heehee
          Personally, I've never thought of Daniel as ever really being naive. Curious, compassionate, open-minded, etc sure, but not innocent or naive. I mean, he lost his parents at a young age, and throughout his academic career likely had to constantly fight for people to take him and his theories seriously. I don't see someone being able to come through all of that and still be 'naive'. It's not the same experiences the others went through, but they were still difficult circumstances that matured his understanding of the world long before he joined the SGC, IMO.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
            Personally, I've never thought of Daniel as ever really being naive. Curious, compassionate, open-minded, etc sure, but not innocent or naive. I mean, he lost his parents at a young age, and throughout his academic career likely had to constantly fight for people to take him and his theories seriously. I don't see someone being able to come through all of that and still be 'naive'. It's not the same experiences the others went through, but they were still difficult circumstances that matured his understanding of the world long before he joined the SGC, IMO.
            Yeah, I agreed, I guess I used the wrong word ( as I said, my english isn't the best ) by naive I meant that desire in him, when he's like a kid who found something really shinny and he's so happy for it , when you can feel how much he loves this, to discover these things, and you just have to love this passion about him... yeah, I used the wrong word I guess. LOL

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I agreed, I guess I used the wrong word ( as I said, my english isn't the best ) by naive I meant that desire in him, when he's like a kid who found something really shinny and he's so happy for it , when you can feel how much he loves this, to discover these things, and you just have to love this passion about him... yeah, I used the wrong word I guess. LOL
              Oh no, your English is great, seriously. It's just that for me, I think of 'naive' as meaning someone untested, without worldy knowledge, or with a simplistic understanding of the world, which is so not Daniel to me.

What you describe, his pure excitement and passion for discovering new things, I would call more curiosity or inquisitiveness, which I totally agree that Daniel has in spades.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                Oh no, your English is great, seriously. It's just that for me, I think of 'naive' as meaning someone untested, without worldy knowledge, or with a simplistic understanding of the world, which is so not Daniel to me.

What you describe, his pure excitement and passion for discovering new things, I would call more curiosity or inquisitiveness, which I totally agree that Daniel has in spades.
                Thanks. And yes, I realized that 'naive' means that, and Daniel is not that, ITA.

sigpic

Comment

Few characters have touched me like Daniel and Ditto to all of you I related to Daniel too he was always spoke my feelings on things
                  sigpic
                  My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                  poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

I've a question I'd like to get everyone's opinion on. In a LOT of fanon, after Daniel's parents died, he doesn't speak. Often for months. Have any of you noticed anything in canon to suggest that? I haven't. I was just wondering if I missed anything.
                    sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
                      I've a question I'd like to get everyone's opinion on. In a LOT of fanon, after Daniel's parents died, he doesn't speak. Often for months. Have any of you noticed anything in canon to suggest that? I haven't. I was just wondering if I missed anything.
                      You mean in many fanfics, he doesn't speak after his parents' death? ( Sorry, my English ) Well, I never heard anything like that in the actual show, I rewatched the show 3 times I think, I saw some episodes 10 times LOL, but I don't remember that.

sigpic

Comment

I don't think there's anything to suggest that in canon.

As far as I know, the only canon facts we have are that he saw his parents get crushed when he was 8 years old and that he went into foster care because his grandfather wouldn't take him. I'm not sure whether or not we know if his grandfather didn't allow him to be adopted or just that none of his foster parents (however many there may have been) wanted to adopt him or possibly even that he didn't want to be adopted by any of them. I don't think there was ever any elaboration as to his psychological state after his parents' death. If there were, it would probably be in either 'The Gamekeeper' or 'Crystal Skull' and I've watched 'Crystal Skull' about a gazillion times and don't remember anything about it. He actually seems pretty OK with Nick not taking him and also doesn't seem to harbor any guilt feelings or anything as he says "How could it have been my fault? I was only eight years old." to Nick.

The canon inconsistancies in his past are the picture in the movie that he says is of his foster parents and Janet saying that there is no history of mental illness in his family in 'Legacy'. I suppose the baby in the picture could be explained away by saying that was a picture of them with their own child taken before he came to live with them.

I don't think we know how much Nick kept in touch with Daniel as a child, but apparently they saw each other fairly often (enough to fight about careers and ideas) when he was older.

The only other little tidbits about his past that I know of from canon are that he's afraid of heights (from Thor's Chariot) and he was obsessive about his research in college and that he was basically laughed out of his profession.

I think out of the original SG-1 we got the most backstory on Teal'c and then Sam just due to the fact that her dad was a recurring character. We got a lot about Jack just from the perspective of Charlie's death, but not much beside that (like, did he have any siblings and are his parents still alive, etc.) other than tiny glimpses of his military past in 'The Gamekeeper' and 'Evolution'. I think for Daniel it was really just 'The Gamekeeper', 'Crystal Skull', and 'The Curse'.

Comment

I agree with Callista and Mac, I don't remember anything in cannon and can only surmise that the idea of Daniel, the linguist and voice of SG1 becoming dumb only adds to the dramatic effect of the trauma caused by the death of his parents. I have also read some other stories where he afterwards he only speaks in a secret language he invents himself and already speaking several languages learned from his travels with his parents. Mostly (depending on the story as a whole and there are some really good ones) I really love the stories that delve into the possibilities of his past.

Anyone have some recs?

If I remember correctly from the novelised version of the movie, Daniels foster parents die in a plane crash, I'm a bit fuzzy has anyone else read it? I wonder what the TPTB thoughts are concerning the movie Daniel cannon and the series.
                          AncientsTimeline

Comment

Thank you for making this thread. As for my favorite episode that is very hard because there are alot of good episodes. As for now I am going to go with (though I do not remember the title) I am going to have to pick the episode where Daniel gets addicted to being resurrect by the healing of the Sarcophagus and the handle getting him off.

Made by Nanjana

Comment

Originally posted by Rush Fan View Post
                              Thank you for making this thread. As for my favorite episode that is very hard because there are alot of good episodes. As for now I am going to go with (though I do not remember the title) I am going to have to pick the episode where Daniel gets addicted to being resurrect by the healing of the Sarcophagus and the handle getting him off.
                              The one you're talking about is Need.
                              sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Thank you for saving my mind form wondering what it was

Made by Nanjana

Comment

Working...
                                X