No announcement yet.

Daniel Jackson Discussion and Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd *love* to have Daniel have to deal with all the decension business at one point. Just because you push it away for a year doesn't make it any easier...quite the contrary.

Thanks to bling for the great sig!
    Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
    ~CELLO!~
    ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Comment

I'd like to see him run into one of the Ancients/Ascended, I could think of all kinds of interesting dialogue especially if O'Neill was present...

Comment

It would be fabulous to see Daniel interact with an ancient given all that has gone on. And it would be good for the fans too - I am still dissatisfied with the treatment they've meted out to the ancients so far.
        sigpic

Comment

*Daniel gives us all his "why, oh why, am I on page four?" eyes*

(Four eyes LOL, anywho...)

I have a question, pet peeve?, observation...Does anyone else find Daniel and Skaara's relationship a little...lacking? They would be brothers-in-law, right? I haven't gone way out of my way to notice their interactions, but I would think they would have or would play them closer.

I don't know...it's just one relationship that feels a little "off" what does everyone else think?

Comment

I'd agree in CotG that Daniel's relationship with Skaara was downplayed rather. Skaara seemed far more fixated on Jack. Not sure why, cos the movie Skaara barely met Jack. Perhaps the thing I can think of that makes most sense was that Skaara hadn't got used to Jack - Daniel was a bit of an everyday bod by CotG but Jack was the returning saviour?

In Serpent's wotsit we didn't see much of Skaara, but I thought he seemed to care about Daniel a lot, and I liked him in that ep. In the one with the Tollan he quite obviously *did* care for Daniel, although they didn't really have much of a chance to be 'old pals together'. When else did we see Skaara... FC. Then we 'cut away' from the scene as soon as Skaara and Daniel met, so we never got to see anything really.

I'd have liked more interaction between them in the course of the show, but like a lot of things I'd have liked it would have been a bit of an indulgence, and some other part of a decent story (I liked all the eps Skaara was in immensely, except for FC) would have had to be snipped.

Madeleine

Comment

Hi! *waves*

I will post comments later (hopefully, still having sign on problems) but I wanted to cement my spot in the place of Daniel
              Kerri

Take another journey....

Scribal Traditions: SG-1 Fanfiction, Livejournal, and more.

Comment

I like Daniel. If I were in the Stargate Universe, Daniel would be my best male buddy. We would gossip over coffee and I would give him advice about his love life. I hope Daniel gets some good stories these season.

Comment

I'd like to see Daniel get some good stories this season too!

Madeleinew - going slightly off topic, but I thought Skaara and Jack had quite a good bond in the movie, and that Skaara was part of helping Jack get his life back. That Jack saw a lot of his son in Skaara. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense, in either CoTG or the episode where Skaara/Klorel fight for the right to Skaara's body when Skaara seeks the help from the Tollan. In that episode he is totally focussed on Jack too. Although there is a lot of input from Daniel in the case.
                  sigpic

Comment

It's such a long time since I saw the movie, so I don't remember it so well. I just can't for the life of me recall any scenes Skaara had with Jack, except for at the end when Skaara was all togged out in the army gear and a tin hat and he saluted Jack. Although it was a very nice salute

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                      It's such a long time since I saw the movie, so I don't remember it so well. I just can't for the life of me recall any scenes Skaara had with Jack, except for at the end when Skaara was all togged out in the army gear and a tin hat and he saluted Jack. Although it was a very nice salute
                      It's been a while for me as well but I remember a scene where Skaara picked up Jack's gun and Jack went ballistic because of his son's accident. Later Jack gave Skaara his cigarette lighter and they had a nice moment - Skaara was fascinated with the lighter and seemed to treasure it. I definitely had a vibe that Jack sort of established a parental bond with Skaara in the movie - one of the first real emotional connections since his son died.

Last edited by keshou; 05 July 2004, 06:34 AM.
                      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

so has anyone tried out the Rate This Thread facility (top right of screen)?
                        sigpic

Comment

Reading posts up thread has provided some fresh insight into Forever in a Day, and I agree with what has been said about Daniel. He is certainly capable of the more baser instincts: for example, in Bloodlines he blasted away a tankful of infant symbiots, not because he thought it was the right thing to do, but because of his deep-rooted anger and hatred. For me, Daniel's nobility comes through precisely because his mind is able to overcome them.

I think that's what I liked most about Daniel in the very early seasons. He seemed to have more of an edge, and the "right thing" did not always come to him so naturally. To me, he does not -- nor should any single character -- represent the best in humanity, merely the intellectual side of it. As such, I enjoyed seeing him moralizing once in a while, and his not being so perfect made the character all the more interesting and endearing.

For the upcoming season, I'd like to see Daniel getting some of that edge back. I'd like to see him coming to terms with his ascension/decension and, specifically, how he dealt with the "no interference" rule. I'd like to see him being wrong occasionally and recognize the fact that the intellectual, or "enlightened" (or whatever one calls it), solution may not always the best one. I'd like to see him as an evolving character, not a perfect one.
                          In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
                            so has anyone tried out the Rate This Thread facility (top right of screen)?
                            Yeah, I have!

Thanks to bling for the great sig!
                            Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
                            ~CELLO!~
                            ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                              It's been a while for me as well but I remember a scene where Skaara picked up Jack's gun and Jack went ballistic because of his son's accident. Later Jack gave Skaara his cigarette lighter and they had a nice moment - Skaara was fascinated with the lighter and seemed to treasure it. I definitely had a vibe that Jack sort of established a parental bond with Skaara in the movie - one of the first real emotional connections since his son died.
                              Now I remember! The lighter made an appearance in CotG too, I think. Okay, everything makes more sense now.

Madeleine

Comment

Since it’s Daniel’s B-day, then this thread should be on page 1. It had fallen to page 3 and was in the near grasp of page 4. Let’s don’t forget him like some people on a certain show seem to be doing.

Originally posted by Liebestraume
                                To me, he does not -- nor should any single character -- represent the best in humanity, merely the intellectual side of it. As such, I enjoyed seeing him moralizing once in a while, and his not being so perfect made the character all the more interesting and endearing.
                                I totally agree with you on that point. I would rather have the character be fallible every once in a while because no one is perfect. I think it serves to humanize Daniel in that you don’t only see him as a fictional character but can relate to him because he seems like a real person and does make mistakes that have consequences. Unlike what they seem to have done to Sam. I think they are making her too infallible (i.e. there seems to be no situation which she can’t overcome) and thus I can’t really relate to that character anymore because they seem to be making her too perfect in regards to the technical know-how. I know she is smart but come on.

For the upcoming season, I'd like to see Daniel getting some of that edge back. I'd like to see him coming to terms with his ascension/decension and, specifically, how he dealt with the "no interference" rule. I'd like to see him being wrong occasionally and recognize the fact that the intellectual, or "enlightened" (or whatever one calls it), solution may not always the best one.
                                I so hope they address Daniel’s ascension/decension appropriately because this is a major life-changing event for the character, and the writers just ignored it in Season 7. I hope they do it justice and write a well thought out plot for the episode since they have had more than a year to think about it. Heck, it should be more than one episode because that was a BIG event in the character's evolution or at least have it affect the character or have some kind of impact in later episodes.

I'd like to see him as an evolving character, not a perfect one.
                                I’d like to see Daniel as an evolving character too because I still think he has the potential to be. He still has depth that can be explored or I think he still does anyway.
                                IMO always implied.

Comment

Working...
                                X